Footbag Terminology

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
billyg
Hack Fiend

Footbag Terminology

Post by billyg » 11 Oct 2011 13:03

I've been hacking for about a year, but I really haven't learned much of the terminology. I know "stall, jester, clipper," and basic one's like that, but I don't know the names of that many things. I've heard the word dex, and have no idea what that means. So basically, can anyone tell me about some terms?
Billy G.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 11 Oct 2011 16:07

Glad you found us. Welcome :)

Check this out: CLICK HERE

Also click on the topics at the bottom of the page.

(Other Related Resources:
· Move Elements
· Jobs' Notation Tutorial
· Paradox Tutorial
· Jobs' Notation Paper)

That should get you started. Good luck. Oh and it's always helpful to find some other players near you to help you get started... CLIIIIICCCKKKKK!!!!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 17 Oct 2011 18:08

Here is a ton of Jargon that was created by the community for a contest...

check it out

http://www.shredglobal.com/category/lea ... tbagvocab/

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 17 Oct 2011 20:38

I am also new and only have one person to talk about this stuff with (who I met a few weeks ago). Thank you for posting these links!
Mike Green
footblog
kicking since Mar 27, 2011

billyg
Hack Fiend

Post by billyg » 30 Oct 2011 13:57

What does Abshire mean?
Billy G.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 30 Oct 2011 17:00

I'm not sure if or not you're joking, but, out of context, it probably refers to footbags stitched by Richard "Renegade" Abshire, who's been, probably, the leading stitcher for a couple decades. He's also a member of BAP (the Big Add Posse -- elite club of the sport), inducted in 2001.

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 09 Nov 2011 09:13

AHAHAHAH!! "What does abshire mean." That's hilarious! I wonder what context abshires name was used in to ask that :D

Also guys - an easy way to learn terminology is to go to tournaments! I'd personally be happy to answer any question you need answered in person, and would tell you to keep 'em coming. Or if you could find just a single player to meet with occasionally in your area you'll pick up things quick.
Cory Allen
My Footblog

bridbeun
Circle Kicker

Post by bridbeun » 29 Nov 2011 12:55

Hey Billy G.

I'm moving to Asheville in December and we'll have to kick sometime. Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers,

Brian

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 22 Dec 2011 15:29

What I have found helpful in footbag is to not be overwhelmed by the crazy jargony names of tricks (like nemesis for example) and to just have a basic solid understanding of the main core tricks which all the big tricks are essentially a combination.

For example: "barfly" can be broken down to a clipper>far legover>(other side) clipper.

In this light, I'd advise that you own these basic terms which cannot be broken down further:
-toe
-clipper
-legover
-pickup
-osis

some more basic moves you definitely will want to start out with:
-butterfly (="legover" dex>clipper)
-illusion (="legover" dex>opposite toe)
-mirage (="pickup" dex>opposite toe)
-ducking clipper (=clipper>over your head>opposite clipper)
-diving clipper (=clipper>over your head>same side clipper)
-spinning clipper (=clipper>spin>same clipper)

I would advise you to just search any of these on youtube to see visually what each truly means.

Some people may disagree with the way I explained some of the (second list) tricks, but I'm really attempting to explain it in the way that really made things "click" for me initially. When I started getting into footbag, I hated all the different names and jargony terms that are used and quite honestly, a lot of the more complex stuff I still don't understand, but the most important thing IMO is to know the basic building blocks of the sport and to recognize that ALL tricks can be broken down to these basic components, kind of like chemistry =P

Edit: Oh, and if you're still unsure about the "dex" terminology (as I realized I used it a bunch in this post alone :oops: ), it basically refers to when your legs cross the trajectory of the bag when either going up or down. In this sense, a "legover" is "dex"ing the bag on its way down as it is crossing the overhead trajectory of the bag on its way downward. I feel like I may have just made this more confusing...
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on