What kind of stretches do you guys do?

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

What kind of stretches do you guys do?

Post by DC Clinks » 02 Jun 2014 21:11

Been getting into the habit of stretching before and after each session. So far I do:
-Butterflies (not the footbag move)
-Left leg tucked in, extend right hand to reach right foot (same thing for opposite side)
-Both legs extended, touch toes with both hands
-Right leg out with left leg pulled over it, wrapped up close to my core (same thing with other side)
-Standing hand to toe stretch
-Standing on one leg, other leg pulled back to stretch quad (repeat for other side, this one makes me lose my balance a lot)

I do each of these 1-2 times for 10-15 seconds each. Sorry for the shitty descriptions, if anyone actually knows what I'm talking about and knows the correct terminology for these stretches, feel free to correct me.

So my question is: Am I missing anything? What other kinds of exercises/ stretches can I do to improve balance, flexibility, and coordination?
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: What kind of stretches do you guys do?

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Jun 2014 22:05

Looks good to me. For starting a session, I normally try to just pull each leg separately behind my back and tug on it gently for like 30 seconds. Then I toe reaches for about 30 seconds. Then I start doing toe delays b2b, toe kicks b2b, inside delays, some Clipper and some Osis. I stay away from Inside kicks until my legs feel pretty satisfied. Inside kicks might not be the best thing to warm up with, because they have the potential to strain your muscles and joints if not warmed up properly.

It's good you stretch. I used to not stretch and then I got a minor injury. But yes, stretch before and after sessions.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

J.Spano
Hack Fiend

Post by J.Spano » 11 Aug 2014 00:45

The value of stretching is immense!

Incorporate dynamic stretching into your warmup and cool-down. Set a timer on your phone for 20 minutes and stretch for that period. Be sure not to skimp on any stretches just because you want to play or because the stretch puts you out of your comfort zone a bit.

Look up ankle stretches, do them often and you're bound to see improvement in clippers. If at all possible, borrow a copy of Supple Leopard from your library. It will change your life.
| Joseph Spano |

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 11 Aug 2014 02:45

Every footbag player needs pigeon pose in their life.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 11 Aug 2014 06:13

People I know that have never been injured never stretch. People I know that are constantly injured do stretch a lot.

I had some muscle pains back when I used to stretch a lot before and after every session. I haven't had any pains since I stopped stretching altogether. I do, however, warm up, that is important I think.

So only do stretches that feel good for you, don't copy other people's stretching routines, that's the worst you can do, everyone is different.
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 11 Aug 2014 06:33

That makes no sense. I've never been injured (aside from one minor injury that was definitely not stretching related) and I stretch after every session. The only time I ever experience delayed onset muscle soreness is if I neglect to stretch properly after I play.

It's not a good idea to stretch cold muscles. Warming up properly is key but so is stretching after you play.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 11 Aug 2014 06:49

It makes perfect sense, because as I said, everyone is different. I am not saying you shouldn't try stretching, but if it feels bad, you shouldn't continue doing it just because everyone else does.
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

J.Spano
Hack Fiend

Post by J.Spano » 11 Aug 2014 07:05

The difference between pain and slight discomfort because you're increasing flexibility threshold are distinct.

It should be assumed that if you're doing a movement that causes pain that you would stop. No one's contesting that.

Also, regular stretching can improve one's range of motion and prevent injury by warming up one's muscles.
| Joseph Spano |

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 13 Aug 2014 11:42

This is a topic I have wondered about for some time, that DC Clinks brought up. How do we improve balance? Is this muscle strength or lack of coordination or just needing more practice or bad posture? I find myself almost falling in the middle of a string or hitting stuff b2b.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 13 Aug 2014 11:53

A lot of people tend to hunch (myself included) which can put you off balance. Try keeping your back as straight as you can.

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 13 Aug 2014 12:41

Cass wrote:A lot of people tend to hunch (myself included) which can put you off balance. Try keeping your back as straight as you can.
Really? Just straightening out your back helps with this? I noticed, I had issues with tilting over while doing my flipside clippers and corrected it by changing the position of my body a bit. Does that mean, I just made it worse? I don't think I straightening out my back though.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 13 Aug 2014 13:10

Without seeing footage I have no idea. But yes, keeping your back straight does help to keep you balanced.

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 13 Aug 2014 13:16

I have some footage that I filmed in Boston and here in Chicago. I will upload it soon. However I'll add on some of my recent flipside clippers as they have gotten way better. The only thing I have notice is my hands being in a weird position when I hit some of my toe stalls and inside stalls. It looks extremely odd and it's really hard to stop it.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 13 Aug 2014 13:26

Yeah hand posture is a big issue. It's good that you recognized it early because it will be easier to fix now that you are aware of it. A lot of shredders have 'the claw' going on which isn't so attractive haha. Jorden made a good post about that somewhere on this forum. I will try to dig it up when I'm not mobile.

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 13 Aug 2014 13:42

Oh my god, I have that with my left hand only while doing inside stalls and stressing my clippers on my left side. The clipper is not as bad though. I believe, my right hand isn't an issue, but I would have to check. Some of my toe stalls turns my hands into pretty pretty princess pose, as in the opposite of a craw. haha!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Aug 2014 15:39

I know this is a bit of random news article, but there's a growing body of research suggesting you shouldn't stretch before sport. Stretching after is fine.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/08/w ... -exercise/

I wouldn't take these sorts of studies as demonstrating beyond doubt that you shouldn't, but it's something to consider. I don't stretch at all before sport, but I do make sure I do a good warm up.

Also I'd recommend doing upper body warmups or stretches if you are going to stretch for footbag too, because you actually do use your arms and back a reasonable amount.

I'd be wary of anecdotal evidence too. Whether an individual has stretched or not and then been injured or not is obviously going to have a high degree of chance involved. It's really only looking at large amounts of data that you can eliminate the "noise" of chance and see whether there really is an effect or not.