New Years Jam 2007

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 15 Dec 2007 21:00

Isilwar wrote:So I just realized that we (Me and Cody) will need a place to stay on the 27th. Anybody got some crash space in their room? We'll pay. :)
:) So it doesn't get buried.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Mrs. Mauler
Shredalicious

Post by Mrs. Mauler » 15 Dec 2007 21:20

Add Aidan Clemente and Gordon Bevier to the list, please.
Aidan Clemente

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 15 Dec 2007 23:50

WOO Aidan! And Gordon too. :-)
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 16 Dec 2007 03:00

The best way to hype your event is to have others do (most of) it for you...

chris dean wrote:just got home. I could only stay for two days of shred, but it was worth it.

no vasek or anything like that. really really awesome event though. i had lots of fun hanging out with so many people i have never even seen before.
exudedex wrote:Wow! what an event. Thanks CiC for puttingeverything together, scott for running it, Steve for your support, kolo for sponsoring and all the people for ocming out and making it such a great event. The shred was amazing, i'm sure theere will be many videos to come. Beautiful people, it was a pleasure meeting everyone. Thanks
xXLoss_of_ControlXx wrote:i agree with Reid "stroller", lmao

best event ever...
Zeke wrote:Thanks to all of you for coming, I sincerely hope you all had a great time. At certain points, just the sheer number of people to deal with was overwhelming but we really tried to do whatever was in our means to make sure everything and everyone was taken care of.

Big thanks to y'all in the club that put in the time and money to help put this thing together. Also to Scott Davidson for giving us another opportunity to let us jump in and help out.

Super big thanks to our sponsors, all of you that donated shirts, bags or funds to give to the players. Free entry free AND prizes!

And I can't even begin to think of an adjective to describe the kind of thanks that Steve Goldberg deserves for the help on acquiring the late night shred site.
HG wrote:Dat, feel like posting that pic of the chinese dude picture with me standing next to it?

It was great to meet so many new people. Off the top of my head:

Ianek, Sebastien, Brandon, Kyle, Rory, Jess, Dave, Mosher, Dave Wilder, Scott B. , Justin D. , Nick Landes, Fletch, Andy from Penn State, Gray Chadwick, Joy Yee, Goldberg, danny, carlos,

I know there are more people i met for the first time. Sorry if i forgot ya. Had lots of fun. Kolo and I had so much fun doing random shit. Two square without lines, team 2 square, bagel bag throwing over a bridge, footbag golf (with everyone else too, so fun), Amazing cliffhanger escalator shot. Combo generator. Multiple Bag session with jorden dave gray and scott, me and jorden and scott trying to come up with crazy new concepts. 9 add, double rooted double symposium rooted atws. Man. Just so much stuff. Not to mention all the laughs with CIC and others, Tom shitting on the bed with the toupee, i still dont understand the toupee, but tom's crying was hilarious. Had lots of laughs with nathan and freddy (everyday im hustlin, and then the monster fart, freddy) as always. Thanks to everyone. Especially Zeke, Reile, and Tom. Didnt get a chance to thank reile cause he was asleep when i left, didnt wanna wake him. Thanks so much for crash space, transportation, food, fun.

Had fun competing in circle comp. Advanced to second round, got stomped by GF and Landes though. Landes ripped the circle to shit in finals, but came in 2nd. He did so well. Then i competed rippin run and beat Reile, then Nick (just barely), and got shitcanned by Jorden, then justin. I took 4th place to Dave, Jorden, then Justin. Sauna saved my legs. Boxing with hood, underwater handstand contest. Dirty underwear on scott. Orange tossing out the 28th floor. Pita tossing, criminals gettin busted in the stair well.

really long post. most of it is just small notes on stuff. Nothin elaborate. But i just felt like typing.
acxel22 wrote:It's simple, this is the event where I felt the most welcome.

Everything was taken care of for players to have a good time in any way possible.

So many people sacrificed their time at this event to make it one of the bests.

I liked it a lot last year, but this year was even better.

Thanks to Tom for picking me and Kolo and getting us back at the airport, Mike Hansen for driving people everywhere, Zeke and Reile for hosting a bunch of people after the event..

I really had a good time, too bad I can't see most the people attending this tourney more then once a year. Hoping some of you make it to worlds.

I'll make some small videos soon, one from a small circle, and one with some stupiditys I got on tape.. (working on videos right now)
The Actual Sized E wrote:Man, what a marathon! Despite a few minor oversights, I think the event turned out to be a huge success. Hopefully the years to follow continue to get better and better at the same rate, I know next year we'll be much more prepared for the type of event New Years Jam has grown up to be. Anyway, tournaments like this wouldn't be possible with out all the help from the attendees and the footbag community, so a big thanks goes out to everyone who showed up and to everyone who helped out. But more specifically:

-To all of our sponsors: Kolo, Brian, Holly, and Fletcher for donating 32 panel prizes bag (I'm sure David appreciates it :lol: ). Freedom footbags for donating sandbags and videos. Revolution footbags for sandbags and drawstring pouches for the Zeke's 4square courts. Kolo again for donating a huge stack of Kolo sport apparel as prizes. Steve Goldberg for putting up the money for a huge after hours shred room for two nights which was probably one of the biggest improvements over last year.

-To Mike Hansen, Jeremy Mirken, Steve Goldberg, and Will Rockey for helping judge events.

-To Ianek Regimbald, Steve Goldberg, and John Mahood for helping seed events.

-To Ianek Regimbald and Tom Mosher for helping us with the circle comp which was new to all of us.

-To Jeremy Mirken for being able to pick up the mic on the spot and MC an event so I didn't have to keep stumbling my way through it

-To Dat Phan for taping the whole event for me with my camera. He taped so much that after searching for and finding my camera someone corrected me that it was actually Dat's camera :lol:

-To Shawn Boyle and Tim Werner for helping us house people.

-To Marianne for providing rides to and from the airport.

-And a HUGE thanks to Mike Hansen again for driving everybody everywhere, doing airport pick-ups and drop-offs, sacrificing sleep, and just helping us organize make things run smoothly.

I'm sure I forgot people, but rest assured your help was greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody, see you next year!
Senor Grommet wrote:Based on several factors (listed below) this was hands down my favorite footbag event ever:
-extra non-footbag related activities allowed me to feel like a friendship not based solely on footbag was forged (this is very important to me, to have friends who play footbag, but whose relationship to me is not based entirely on footbag).
-Having a couple days extra before and efter the event to "warm up" and "cool down" my enthusiasm and to experience not only the footbaggers but also the city and culture in which the event took place.
-the sheer amount of footbaggers who were there, and the quality of them as well.
-transport to and from event and non-event related activities was provided (often by Mike Hansen or the CIC members, thanks :))
-having a venue that was anything but small and cramped, but rather filled to the brim with quality athletic endeavors to watch and participate in. I saw some of a professional table tennis match for example.
-Having a shred spot/hang out spot after hours was such a bonus, and without it, we would have been sad pandas. Thanks Steve Goldberg!
-Having a good mix of free shred with events so that it didn't feel like events were the main priority.
-Having at least one shredder there who was cool enough to enjoy frestyle (c)rap battles with me for several hours.
-Having many of my clubmates and fellow Californians with me to experience an amazing week, and being able to introduce them to a new crowd of people, a new place, and new experiences
-Not feeling the pressure of having to perform my best, which too often I and many footbag athletes have felt before.

For all these reasons, this NYJ was the best event ever for me.

Not to mention seeing my first hockey game, running the naked mile with Mahood (in boxers), drinking 4 bubble teas(!), pegging henry in the face with a footbag from point blank range left-handed(!), getting locked in Reile's truck while changing and being subsequently rescued, playing and really enjoying 4-square for the first time at en event, handing Tom K my camera to take pics which he did, and which were a total surprise to me, getting an extra vacation day at Dat's house due to a combo of my own stupidity and my luggage being misrouted.
HG wrote:The left handed footbag team duel game was by far, the most fun part of the event. Actually no it wasnt. So many other things were more fun. But that was the last real thing i did. And it sticks out so much in my mind. All i could think was "Dont flinch" and i got in a zone, such a zone that i COULDNT flinch. Lol. and then someone called out, "One last RIGHT handed throw" and i had the bag, and took my throw before jeremy could agree or disagree, and i won 8) :lol:
Zeke wrote:I dunno, Hen, that game of 4-square had several people on the floor... then there was that morning Tom was literally in tears about taking a hypothetical poop on the bed...
CIC flurry wrote:Jeremy I really want to see those pics I took with your camera. Send me soe or post them on flickr or something :).

Oh man the left hand throwing contest wsa the best. Henry's face was so priceless. He could have stared down a speeding semi truck with that cool composure and not flinch.

One step closer. throw!
another step closer. face shot
k one last try, with your right hand.
Jeremy: Wai...
Henry: ::throws right away::
mosher wrote:The flipsided throw that stands out the most in my memory was Jeremy's hurl into Kolo's balls somewhere near the end. :lol:

This event was so incredible, I will take the time to write up my memories in my blog asap, swearsies.

Also, I filmed a bunch, I will make a video! :D
HG wrote:Yeah tom's toupee poop on the bed, that we didnt really understand was sooo funny. :lol: :lol: tom, care to explain what it was you were trying to say that morning? Hahaha, man you had so many tears running down your face
CIC flurry wrote:It totally wasn't funny; I was in a weird state due to lack of sleep. lol.

The hypothetical prank was to take a dump the bed, so that when someone turned back the covers they'd be hella surprised. I pictured putting a toupee by the head of the blanket to make it look more like someone was actually sleeping there. Oh man I was dying. Laughs kept heaving like I was throwing up. Hiding my face and tears in my jacket. And I kept trying to explain the toupee and that image kept cracking me up for several minutes.
CIC flurry wrote:California

Emily Kulczyk - Moxie - pdx drifter! Leader.
Fletcher Funk - funklovesfootbag - nice footbags, cool camera
Gray Chadwick - cammel - bungie running bean bag game. post vids of boxing.
Jeremy Mirken - Senor Grommet - "why do you have the word polish (pah-lish) on your shirt?" rap. one of my favorite people. superman who doens't take off glasses.
Steve Goldberg - webmaster - squares master (cuz of net :)), awesome sponsor!, nice guy, thanks for seeding rippin run.
Mike Hansen - wolfpac444 - we played for a few minutes! thanks for driving so much
Dat Phan - Dat - induce vomit, video tape, combo generator - very tits game, my top 4

Chicago

Eric Reile - The actual sized E - partner, nice to see kick.
Freddy N. - xXLoss_of_ControlXx - talk more and freestyle more with us/me = CIC, this event: so glad got to chill with you.
Jake Raye - Chim-Chim - one day
Kamil Szpara - quadgun - other's realize how close and helpful
Marty - Champ!
Nathan Andersen - So glad u were around as much as u were
Shawn Boyle - tuomoruutufan - watching does suck
Tom Kotsakos - CIC flurry - toupee dump
Zeke Ibardaloza - Zeke - partner, makes pancakes, McDonalds
Ron - sniper4life, thx for coming. hope ur mind was blown, come play this year

Highland Park

Eric Siegel - NotSoRippedWarrior - not enough chill see u in spring
Reid Strellner - exudex - most fun circle. props on sick 1
Will Rockey - thx for coming quiet guy

Indiana

Carlos Bermudez - Carlos - very cool. good freestyle potential, good style. keep it up. raise ur knees higher too.

Michigan

Zach Jahner - fetusmaster - vagapillar, fun circle on night 3, wish u stayed longer
Greg Nelson - gfsmoothie - sorry i forgot ur sammich
Kyle Moery - cloaked - nice shoes
Brandon - dblthnk84 - nice person

Minnesota

Bijan - so happy u could make it. brother clubs!

Montreal - I want to visit now

Ianek Regimbald - Ianek - so much in common. very nice. thanks for circle comp running. really enjoyed u. pizza-ria answer three ?'s: "I like Canadians. Hint hint."
Sebastien - frantic set, solid. funny.
Kolo - Kool KoLo - wit and in ur face. Sponsorship! organize golf (the best), retrieve footbag with shoe tied to rope. fast atomic set! good player - first time I kicked with you
Mathieu Gauthier - acxel22 - way better than last year.

New York

Chris Dean - chris dean - good at footbag. next 2 nights were more fun. thankz for coming for a little while :):)
Paul - Nice ipod!

North Carolina

David Wilder - bigdirtyfoot - sorry bout ur ankle. I cleared out the gawkers so u could wallow in peace. ride to airport = me realizing how normal/cool u are.

Oak Park

Al Oroza - oroza - squares. blurriest
Scott Davidson - Partner, Big thanks for securing the venue and the night spot. good strictness on the events scehdule. props on the tv spot.

Ohio

Danny Petrick - Pirate Man - good at freestyle. better than bathtub pics would make u think. very young or shaving legs? :)

Ontario - showing up first night and everyone's like yay!

Jorden Moir - Jorden - Rippin Run son! My opinion of ur nonfreestyleness increases beacoup
Tom Mosher - Mosher - props on making it happen. hope u enjoyed. girlies like my shirt i got from u.

Palatine

Kaushik Amancherla - krafty - shredded potatoes. see u in spring @ U of I
Chris Obara - ObArA'BaRs - steering clear of bad influences - shred = tits
Jeff Richards - JeffRichards - glad to see you. We need to kick sometime again.
Jon Nagela - crazylegs32 - we talked

Pennsylvania

David Clavens - David - way better than @ CSS. Next world champ?? Honestly sick. Also nice, always saying thanks to his props. Says ill a lot which is dope.

Oregon/Washington

Nick Landes - sidekick - should be in movies with that face. seriously bad ass looking fellow. awesome zoom. gonna watch gorrilaz vs b4 next time i kick.

Justin Dale - bustinjustin. deep.
Scott Behmer - scott behmer. jerky sense of humor that i can appreciate.

ShrEdmonton

Jessika - Hackrificer - really enjoyed talking to
Rory Dawson - SlashC - really good at atomic. circle contest mate.

Tennessee

Brian Dennis - Brinard. sponsor!
Holly Matthews - PegLegHolly. so nice. fun accent. dimples. do that dlo.

West Virginia

Bob Glasser - bob. Women should make love to you constantly.
Brad Nelson - full nelson. thanks for the eggs. first time we played 2gether! nice almost nemesis. dancing to 80's in club.
John Mahood - Hood - Pics with girlies on jerm's cam. Handstand. running up stairs. we didn't kick once together.

Wisconsin

Henry Griese - HenryG - instant CIC if u move here. You are also very good and smooth at footbag. props on ur good job in the events. clementine throwing. Boxing! That morning in general with gray and you.
HG wrote:This was even better than last years. Just so y'all know
Zjeezy wrote:This was the best event I have ever been to.

Thanks a lot to reile and zeke for the toater. That thing was awesome.

Hendog my man, always good to hang out with you and lob pita out of the window.

Thanks to all of CIC and Scott for setting everything up and running the event.

thanks goes out to Steve for providing CC24, that was seriously one of the best things that could have happend to the event.

Dat is the man with the flipside knowledge.

Jorden and Dave, Awesome shred. It was inspiring and it really makes me want to school hard.

I havent kicked since I left chicago.
HooD wrote:Whoops, I forgot to post on this thread how kickass the event was. I would describe it similar to last years, except bigger and better !!! Thanks to everyone who came out and kicked and a huge thanks to those who helped run the event and keep a roof over my head <3.

Blogger Best of Pics and Review

All 186 Pics
webmaster wrote:I know it's late, but I just wanted to add that I had a really great time at this event. It was really pretty much ideal -- a hotel connected to a huuuuge convention center with a massive space specifically designed for freestyle, with tons of passers-by, water, nearby restrooms, food, vending machines.

The Chicago crew made the event very welcoming -- Zeke, Reile, Tom, and others (sorry I can't list you all) made sure each night to arrange something for food for most of the folks hanging out in the hotel suite (and the last night, in the shred room). It was really nice to have someone worrying about all us visitors and making sure we were happy.

Scott and Valeria (with a lot of help from others) did a great job manning the booth, taking care of most of the "activity center" (or whatever it was called), handing out footbags, keeping things moving, setting up in the morning, etc., etc. Kolo was actually pleasant and enjoyable to be around :-) and set up to sell footbags which was definitely a service to the players. I learned that Kolo and I have very similar politics.

I was really happy to get a chance to teach Zeke some of the finer points of two-square. I think he took away some good lessons that will make me have to work that much harder next time. :-) It was also really fun battling many of the other inner circlers (and other outer circlers, if you can say that) throughout the three days.

As for me sponsoring the shred room -- it was really nothing ($100 a night is totally cheap for what we got out of it). I have to say, though, it worked out great. The room was perfect -- just big enough to fit us all very comfortably, but small enough to feel intimate. Well lit, comfortable, etc. (Though that carpet -- whew!) Just for the sake of those who weren't there, we were able to easily fit two four-square courts and still have three or four serious shred circles, and room for folks to sit and watch -- and plenty of room for Tom K. to sleep. (Gee, Tom, were we really that boring?)

Most interesting moments for me:

- When Tom Mosher came in to an almost-empty shred room when everyone was just starting to trickle in from the Chinese restaurant, and announced, "Hey, Everyone" in a sort of, well, classic Tom way. You had to be there.

- Playing crotch-fire in the suite with someone's shitty bag (nobody ever figured out whose it was) and watching the expression on little Henry's face when he realized he almost hit a cup full of beer which would've been a catastrophe.

- David Clavens, every moment he was shredding.

- When Jorden Moir and David Clavens got to the final stage of Dat's crazy combo game. Jorden's insanely good, did I mention?

- Beating Henry in two-square. Hell, beating everyone :-) in two-square.

- Beeing booed when I won four-square. :-) Am I really that despised?!?!

Steve
Moxie wrote:
Moxie in her blog wrote:Everything felt basically care free from the time I arrived in Chicago until I left.
webmaster wrote:It was really nice to have someone worrying about all us visitors and making sure we were happy.
I think that's a huge compliment for an event staff. You know you did well when people feel that way.

Some of my personal favorite memories from last year:
-GF Smoothie stealing Gray's chair after his pathetic roar
-Left Hand throwing, Mosher, Kolo and Sebastien were great!
-Tom hysterically laughing himself into tears
-Underwear landing on the bridge
-Helping Kolo get his bag
-Helping Hood break into his car
-Making breakfast for players
-Stupid dance 4-square
-Hanging out with Steve and Kolo
-Hacking with the Montrealers
-Team 2-square with Greg Nelson as my partner
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 16 Dec 2007 08:15

i just started thinking about the toupee thing, and started laughing so hard. near tears :lol:
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

dudeguyman
Shredaholic

Post by dudeguyman » 16 Dec 2007 16:42

so add john redding to the list. he's coming with me and zac miley on the same flight with us. so i guess it will be 3 of us needing crash space the 27th
-Cody Carter

summer 07 fire video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-iRplEimM0

newest shred video
http://footbag.org/gallery/show/14177

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 16 Dec 2007 17:29

You have to tell me these things Cody. :roll:
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 16 Dec 2007 18:12

Anyone wanna make up a pack list for us first timers going to NYJ?

Like, do I need to bring my own oranges? :lol:
Pengpeng Du

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 16 Dec 2007 21:10

Holy shit, Flash and Aiden?!! All we need now is for the freedom crew to confirm. :)

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 16 Dec 2007 23:42

edit: arrg never mind, my financial situation is worse than I thought, and I can't be as generous as I'd like :(
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 17 Dec 2007 15:11

Isilwar wrote:
Isilwar wrote:So I just realized that we (Me and Cody) will need a place to stay on the 27th. Anybody got some crash space in their room? We'll pay. :)
? :( I don't wanna sleep in Mathieu's bathroom. :( I heard he pees in there!

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 17 Dec 2007 15:21

As long as Tim + and his girlfriend aren't in there, you'll be ok.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 17 Dec 2007 15:24

Isilwar wrote:
Isilwar wrote:
? :( I don't wanna sleep in Mathieu's bathroom. :( I heard he pees in there!
Does anyone else need crash space?

Does anyone else have crash space?

Post it up in here, people! -- Also - can somebody edit the first post to include people looking for crash space or who have extra space? Tom is out for the week.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 18 Dec 2007 00:58

Im bringing my new bb machine gun. I wonder how many hundred co2 we will need to terrorize Chicago with.

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 18 Dec 2007 01:30

I leave for IL in two days! WOO.

Maybe it's a good idea to remind people that the weather this year is supposed to be (I say that since I can't claim it for myself) much harsher than last year. Every time I talk to people back home they tell me about the ice and snow and blizzardy conditions. I've seen the Midwest and East coast on the news several time over the last week so I'm assuming everyone who is traveling to Chicago knows that it'll be worse than last year, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case...
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 18 Dec 2007 05:29

pshh, we only went outside for golf anyways 8)
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 18 Dec 2007 05:29

i'll be fine as long as im not still on crutches :roll:
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 18 Dec 2007 09:58

Pengu wrote:Anyone wanna make up a pack list for us first timers going to NYJ?
A couple kinda odd things came to mind. With many people sharing rooms and bringing cell phones & cameras, you may find there will not be enough electrical outlets for all the chargers. Maybe one or two of these per room will be enough:

Then maybe something to help cover up the various bathrooms smells.
I'll leave that up to y'all.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Chim-Chim
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Chim-Chim » 18 Dec 2007 14:45

Does anybody coming have an extra new or used pair of 9 lavers?
Jake Raye

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 18 Dec 2007 14:46

How used?
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.