Freestyle @ The Green Cup: May 24-26, 2008

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
Moxie
Taphophile

Freestyle @ The Green Cup: May 24-26, 2008

Post by Moxie » 16 Apr 2008 13:37

Ready for another big California event? Yes, The Green Cup is usually a net event, but this year Steve is putting together a big freestyle event in conjunction with The Green Cup. It's Memorial Day weekend, May 24-26, 2008. Get together with your net brethren and watch some amazing matches, or just ignore them and play some freestyle. ;-) Here's Footbag.org's event listing. See the event listing for the handy-dandy all-in-one map.

Be sure to go to that page and register (right now!) for the event even if you're not competing.

The room that is being rented is "pretty kick ass," according to PT. It's more of a hall; a large room with nice high ceilings. It is right next to the spot where they're running net this year. The room has nice bathrooms and we have a nice sound system to play awesome music. You're welcome to bring some awesome music, just in case.

EVENTS:
Informal 2-square event
Circle
Sick 3
Routines: Intermediate, Women, Open

Why routines?
Steve wrote:This will be one of only 3 events this year at which people can do their routines, and it'd be nice for people to prepare routines for this as a forcing function to get ready for US Open and, for those going, Worlds. It is early enough that if people prepare routines for this, they can really have kick-ass routines by US Open. It's really a privilege these days to have routines at a tournament -- they're so much harder to organize, so many people just don't have them. But we should not let people forget this is one of the most amazing disciplines in the sport. :-)
Lodging:

Inn At The Square is the official hotel for this event. We are getting a special rate of $89 a night for the Inn at Jack London Square. These rooms allow 4 people a room with 2 double beds. There are plenty of rooms available, just ask for the Memorial Day special to get the reduced rate. It's a very nice place, and is walking distance or easy public transportation away from the site, and has BART access for going to the City on Monday for anyone who's staying that night as well. Complimentary Wi-Fi.

If you're coming to this event and don't have a place to stay, I suggest posting here to find roommates asap.

Confirmed:
Cale McCoy
Kirk Chantraine
David Clavens
Lon Smith
Big Add Chad
Aaron Orton
Shawnell Tolliver (Shawni)
Russian kickers including Oxana :D
Nick Landes
Red Husted
Rob Creel III
Anne Thygesen -This will be her LAST event before going back to Denmark. :-(
Jeremy Mirken -but someone has to convince him to kick some freestyle ;-)
Steve Goldberg
Emily Kulczyk
Stanford: Alex, Peter, Abram, Jeff, Eric, and others
Dustin Rhodes

Possibly Attending:
Bryan Fournier
Zeb Jackson
I'm assuming that Carol Wedemeyer will be there, and last time I went she played with us. That's all I'm saying.
Last edited by Moxie on 23 May 2008 14:55, edited 21 times in total.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 16 Apr 2008 14:08

The Green cup will be the biggest attended event in NA this year as far as the net scene goes. There will likely be 60-ish competitors from at least 4-5 countries (US, Colombia, Canada, Germany, etc.). Each year, the event happens on Memorial Day weekend (Sat, Sun and Monday), with the finals venue tucked away in Golden Gate park in San Fran.

There was a discussion held within Chaos, the Oakland net club, to determine whether having a freestyle event in conjunction with net was a good idea, and the vibe was mixed. One reason the vibe was mixed is b/c the Green Cup in years past has been a "pure" net event, the largest (save Worlds) and the best run, and adding freestyle to the mix is a variable we're all unsure about. Also, 1.5 months is also very short notice for freestylers, who notoriously need to save up for months to afford going to a jam.

I know that Steve G. was really pushing for it. I do not know all of the details at this point. In fact until I read this post, I wasn't even sure that the decision had been made yet, and I'm a bit confused as to why Moxie knew first, but that's okay with me. She can be in charge of keeping modified up to date with the event information.

What I can promise is that there will be a lot of players, and it will be a good venue for a mixing of the two worlds, net and freestyle. I have never attended a freestyle event like the Green Cup- championship Monday really is something special. It is the one event (save worlds) that net players want to win most- it is the most hyped up event with the largest attendance, the highest calibre of play, the largest trophy, and the best tequila and margaritas of any event. And it is the only event in CA for the rest of the year.

I hope to see many of thw West coasters there, any anyone else who can make it!
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 16 Apr 2008 14:19

The green cup is one of the best run events, at least for net. I can't imagine why they would want to screw it up with an actual freestyle component.

But if they are, come on out and have some fun.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 17 Apr 2008 20:47

I would think they mean a freestyle jam/tourney on the sidelines.
Never in my life have I seen anything that could be considered a "big freestyle event" which could interfere with anything unless there was poor planning and microphones speaking over one another.

Jimpenske
Fearless

Post by Jimpenske » 18 Apr 2008 09:15

You already got David Clavens. Sounds like you got the freestyle covered.
:wink:

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 18 Apr 2008 15:52

we want Penske too!

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 18 Apr 2008 23:09

its possible..... :wink:
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 22 Apr 2008 15:26

I have heard that Anne and Chad Devlahovich from Southern California areas are going to be coming up for the event.

I also know that Chris Pinkus and Bryan Fournier have been playing regularly recently, which means that they may also be in attendance.

Are players from San Diego thinking about attending? How about players from the Washington area? Behmer?

Idaho?

Las Vegas guys?

KronoKicker
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by KronoKicker » 22 Apr 2008 18:44

had to be the weekend of my graduation... damn. if only it was the weekend after I would definitely be there
Aric McIntosh

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 22 Apr 2008 21:06

ill check out my financial situation coming up and see if i can afford to attend :) I like california a lot, a had a lot of fun at my first jam ever in Santa Cruz, so I would love to come to this as well...

ill keep you informed

oxana
Hack Fiend

Post by oxana » 26 Apr 2008 22:03

player from russia coming too :wink:
dreams come true

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 27 Apr 2008 13:05

"Confirmed" and "possibly attending" lists always get me more excited about events, so I've started one in the top post.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Anne
Shredaholic

Post by Anne » 27 Apr 2008 16:55

woah.. it's gonna be a girl-party!!!! Oxana, Emily, Carol and myself at least. THAT should draw a couple more guys out, shouldn't it :wink:

funklovesfootbag
Womanizer

Post by funklovesfootbag » 30 Apr 2008 19:33

This should be pretty fun. I probably won't freestyle but I'm stoked I get to see some of you guys (and drink margaritas!) :D
Fletcher Funk...

*Retired From Stitching*
(and basically freestyle.)

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 30 Apr 2008 22:56

EDIT: See top post for updated lodging info.
Last edited by Moxie on 08 May 2008 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

Emily Kulczyk

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 05 May 2008 11:30

Anne wrote:woah.. it's gonna be a girl-party!!!! Oxana, Emily, Carol and myself at least. THAT should draw a couple more guys out, shouldn't it :wink:
And now Shawnell Tolliver (Shawni) is coming too. :-) 5 ladies, oooh yeah. Also new to the comfirmed list are, Aaron Orton, Big Add Chad, and Lon Smith! Plus there is a rumor that Daryl and Jim are coming, but it's not comfirmed yet.

Emily Kulczyk

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 05 May 2008 13:47

Yeah, I'll be there with Shawni. I just need to see if anyone from Oregon needs a ride because I can fit one more and also if anyone is interested in splitting rooms to save costs. PM me for details.
bodybuilda

Anne
Shredaholic

Post by Anne » 06 May 2008 12:15

I'll definitely be looking for a bunch of roommates. So if anyone wants to have a danish bird sharing their room, I'm in.

I won't really be able to get to a computer the next 10 days, but I'll check out the situation during the week of the event.

Can't wait!! 8)

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 06 May 2008 16:44

UPDATE:

The online registration page will be up soon --I'll let you know as soon as it is.

The room that is being rented is "pretty kick ass," according to PT. It's more of a hall; a large room with nice high ceilings. It is right next to the spot where they're running net this year. The room has nice bathrooms and we have a nice sound system to play awesome music. You're welcome to bring some awesome music, just in case.

LODGING UPDATE:
Inn At The Square will be the official hotel of this event. The Inn At The Square was going to cost $108/night but we have a reduced rate of $89/night. Just ask for the Memorial Day rate.
Last edited by Moxie on 08 May 2008 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

Emily Kulczyk

Shawni
Shredalicious

Post by Shawni » 07 May 2008 09:22

Best...idea....EVER!!! I'm so FREAKING excited I can't wait. This is my birthday present from Aaron, I get to play footbag with awesome footbag girls!! I'm so excited and I'm so happy. I've heard so much about all the girls there and I just can't wait to see them again. Emily, I was worried I wouldn't see you again for a while because you aren't going to US open. But oh the luck!! Yay! (Counting down the days)
Shawnell Tolliver