New Year's Jam 2008

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 03 Dec 2008 15:48

events:
There was a brief meeting of sorts last night but events and schedules are still being finalized by the organizers.

Art Institute:
It's about a mile north of the hotel. I believe there's a bus that stops at the hotel that will take you to the Art Institute. I'll look it up for you.

For those of you that are not familiar with Chicago's annual New Years Jam allow me to to give you a run down of what goes on. NYJ is a small part of a larger (fucking huge!) indoor festival called Mayor Daley's Holiday Sports Festival. Footbag is one of the featured interactive sports and activities hosted within the enormous McCormick Place convention center. We are at the this site from 10 in the morning till 4 in the afternoon. As well as running freestyle and 2/4-square events we also have an obligation (from what I understand to be the conditions in which we get the site year after year) to interact with bystanders, mostly children, interested in participating in footbag. It can be as simple as having them kick a bag several times in order to get a free footbag or as involved as teaching hackers some basics of the other footbag disciplines and games. If you get bored of footbag, you are free to roam around and check out the other sports and activities throughout the festival.

When not at the event site, almost all the players are at the adjacent host hotel, the Hyatt McCormick. Even most of the local players stay at the hotel just out of convenience. The hotel offers a discounted rate for the days of the event as long as you mention that you're part of the Holiday Sports Festival. CIC generally gets a suite where we host the after parties and organize 2 of the group dinners and 1 group breakfast. Then, there's the ever popular late night shred room. It's a conference room that's rented (I think it was officially from 6 in the late afternoon to 12 at night) from the hotel that we use to continue playing, run more events and hang out some more.

A third group dinner is organized on the last night of the event. It's an outing to Chicago's Chinatown neighborhood, about 6 blocks west of the hotel. Other than that, players are indoors all the time since all the sites are connected by several long hallways. Someone mentioned it was like a mini Worlds and everyone is together almost all the time.

or I just made that up.

Regardless, you will be in the next NYJ thread posting what an amazing time you had, saying how much fun it was and adding a few weird-ass stories to your event experiences. You might even catch yourself speaking some CIC slang :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Zeke on 04 Dec 2008 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 03 Dec 2008 23:42

If plans fall through correctly, I will be selling a trial run of my DVD.

It will contain at least 45 minutes of shred and highlights (along with some fun moments) Its merely a trial run to see if people would like to buy and feel if its worth buying.

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... 302#410302

For more info in regards to the DVD.
Look a BLOG! That I never update
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=16244

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 04 Dec 2008 07:18

C-Fan wrote:Oh, and we totally need to get a photo of Eric, Erik, Waylon and myself playing footbag together. :lol:
Yeah, we need to get this whole identity crisis mess-up fixed asap. :wink:
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 04 Dec 2008 08:52

I would be happy to take the part in disambiguation through the use of digital photography.

professor wrote:Are you going to have more body bag shirts? I get positive comments on mine all the time. People who don't even know what footbag is think it's awesome.
I've got one Body Bag shirt left. It's not likely, I'll be reprinting them because cash is really tight this year. I'm selling off my remaining stock at NYJ to help pay for various expenses. Sorry, first come first serve, no reserving, no mail order.

Shred hoodies, navy blue - $15
-med = 4
-lg = 6
-xl = 4

Shred shirts - $10
-sm, dark green = 1
-med, navy blue = 2
-lg, blue = 4
-xl, black = 5

Hack Off shirts, slate - $10
-med = 3
-xl = 1

Body Bag shirt, white - $10
-med = 1
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zjeezy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Zjeezy » 04 Dec 2008 20:55

Wasabi wrote:
C-Fan wrote:Oh, and we totally need to get a photo of Eric, Erik, Waylon and myself playing footbag together. :lol:
Yeah, we need to get this whole identity crisis mess-up fixed asap. :wink:
You should get Zeke in the photo, Hes.... some sort of asain? Maybe a lil spaniard in there? Hes something alright.
zach jahner

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 04 Dec 2008 22:00

Ill be there, time to dust off my freestyle shoes :)

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 05 Dec 2008 05:57

General schedule for comps on first post. The site opens @ 10. We usually start comps @ or after 12.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Dec 2008 06:20

Not to nit-pick, but I'd argue that DC is closer to Southeast than Northeast. Really, it's somewhere in between (some call it mid-atlantic), which is one of the reasons that JFK famously described it as a town "with Northern hospitality and Southern efficiency."

Very very stoked to see everybody in a few weeks. Is there an entry fee for each event, or for the tourney overall?

spikethespiegel
Circle Kicker

Post by spikethespiegel » 05 Dec 2008 06:28

Two confirmed players from Indiana here, we'll be there for sure. If you don't know me yet, you will soon enough!

Also, I should be in town by 3:00 in the afternoon if anyone needs a ride from the airport or anything just post up and I'll give you my phone #.
Taxi=expensive and I won't have anything better to do.
Also, stranded footbaggers is a sad, dramatic, and dramatically sad thing and shouldn't be allowed to proliferate.

Shellsofparadise
Hack Fiend

Gift and prize bags for the event.

Post by Shellsofparadise » 05 Dec 2008 10:41

Last edited by Shellsofparadise on 10 Dec 2008 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 05 Dec 2008 13:01

Competitions have always been free for the past three years. And we have sponsored prizes.

There may be a fee for the night shred room, once/if we get it.

The night shred room official rate is $750 *per night*. So Scott is right and we're going to have to do it last minute, face to face, and maybe get lucky. I think Steve's sharp mind and tongue probably helped a bunch the past 2 years. Either that or we'll walk around and play where we want. I'm going to try other options now.

Oroza
Fearless

Post by Oroza » 05 Dec 2008 13:36

What up playas, I'll be there at some point.

There be a party (afrobeat band, homebrews, dance party, good times)at my loft the 26th which...will probably get out of hand (crowded,) which...makes me hesitant to invite everyone...depends HOW MANY people get in the 26th, (if you can donate me an old bag it dont matter, your invited, I'z bagless yo'z :( ) , wish I could offer sleep over too, but...you know...depends.

also, theirs a huge green screen at my place if anyone's interested in doing some film we can talk. I'm right off the damen blueline train (damen and north ave.)

CIC yous invited of course, it'll cost Zeke a bodybag shirt reservation though :lol: (My roomie knows some guy that does silkscreens)

just kickin that up in the air, like I just dont care.
Plain, with everything.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 05 Dec 2008 13:45

Wow! Just received package of prizes from Kolo.
Super!
KOLO
KOLO
KOLO
KOLO
KOLO
KOLO

Jack Stutler
Multidex Master

Post by Jack Stutler » 05 Dec 2008 18:53

is it dece.... oh shit, it is december!

..is it time for NYJ YET?!!!!!
C-Fan wrote:After I read it I thought to myself: "this is the best tourney write-up I've ever read...and he didn't even make it to the tourney!"
Challenge Footblog

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 08 Dec 2008 06:45

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Dec 2008 10:04

Zeke = Philippino
Ken = Japanese
Waylon/Eric/Erik = Chinese

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 08 Dec 2008 11:34

:arrow: :roll:

HYPE!!
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Shellsofparadise
Hack Fiend

'nother gift bag

Post by Shellsofparadise » 08 Dec 2008 11:43

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 08 Dec 2008 17:01

vurr-E nice!

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 09 Dec 2008 06:54

Erik, is it possible for you to stuff Manna into your check-in baggage and smuggle him into NYJ?

:P
NYFA represent.