2009 US Open Freestyle Footbag Championships July 11-13

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
Aaron Shepard
Shredaholic

Post by Aaron Shepard » 07 Jun 2009 18:41

YES, YES, YES! YESM. Jeff + Evan in Portland at US Open makes Aaron a very happy man. Bring Ben too! It will be just like old times. You know I'll be hooking you brothers up when you come up here. Blue-berry smoothies, roast beef sandwiches, power bars, banana ice cream sundaes, you have to come now.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 07 Jun 2009 19:33

I am rather excited.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Aaron Shepard
Shredaholic

Post by Aaron Shepard » 07 Jun 2009 21:47

Zac! You are coming too! Oh hell yeah dude! This competition is going to be sweet! How long are you out here for? We should hang out if you stay a little longer. Go play footbag at the beach or the Olympic rain forest or something. It is awesome! Can't wait to kick with ya man!

JeffOverbo
Multidex Master

Post by JeffOverbo » 07 Jun 2009 22:59

Evan and I's flights
We will need a ride to VC, and a place to stay, any one help us out? Would be greatly appreciated

Depart Jul 10 Fri 1 LAS-SJC-PDX 857 Depart Las Vegas (LAS) at 6:20 AM

Arrive in San Jose (SJC) at 7:40 AM
292 Change planes in San Jose (SJC) departing at 8:15 AM

Arrive in Portland (PDX) at 9:55 AM
Return Jul 14 Tue Nonstop PDX-LAS 3495

Depart Portland (PDX) at 8:30 PM
Arrive in Las Vegas (LAS) at 10:45 PM
Hi.

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 07 Jun 2009 23:08

Aaron Shepard wrote:YES, YES, YES! YESM. Jeff + Evan in Portland at US Open makes Aaron a very happy man. Bring Ben too! It will be just like old times. You know I'll be hooking you brothers up when you come up here. Blue-berry smoothies, roast beef sandwiches, power bars, banana ice cream sundaes, you have to come now.
sounds bomb. =) now i get to try these blueberry smoothies you speak of finally.

ben will not be attending this event.

any chance we can count on airport pickup and possibly crash space...? :(
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

Aaron Shepard
Shredaholic

Post by Aaron Shepard » 07 Jun 2009 23:48

I will be at the airport to get you, but you can not leave after the tournament is over and you will have to stay in portland for the rest of your life. Sorry about that. I hope this does not inconvenience you that much. Vegas is nice and all, but it is way cooler in the Northwest at this time of year. You will be happy here, believe me. Portland has more breweries and strip clubs per person then anywhere in the country. It is like heaven, Evan, even though I don't go to either of these places (often) and I don't think you do either, it is just nice to know it is out there if we do decide to do something like that.

I would let you stay at my place guys, but I live 50 miles north of portland on a lake underneath a big scary volcano, and I do not know if I will be staying at my house or in portland somewhere over the weekend. I will get back to you, but don't worry, I will make sure you guys are taken care of. Fucking hell ya dude. We can always stay at my place as a last resort too, but we will probably want to stay in Portland.

Later doods.

Sorry that Ben can't make it.

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 08 Jun 2009 20:55

I get in wednesday at 7pm. Is there any open space where I could stay wednesday and thursday night before I check into the hotel?
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 09 Jun 2009 10:52

Hi all,
The 2009 US Open is steadily approaching, this is going to be a very fun and professional event! The venue location is great, and the host hotel literally overlooks the event site, with a nice scenic backdrop. The events offered this year will be;

Open Performance Routines
Women's Open Performance Routines
Intermediate Routines
Circle Competition
Request Competition
Best Three

If you are competing in routines, we will need your music either on a thumb drive (the best) or a cd for upload to our music player.

Also, if you are interested in being a judge (or backup judge) please feel free to pm me. Thanks to the already confirmed judges.

Anyhoo, more details it goes! Please feel free to contact me with any questions : )
R

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 09 Jun 2009 11:36

Running Attendance List:

(This is the short list, please let us know if you are attending or we missed you on the list!)

Jim Penske
Scott Bevier
Nick Landes
Jay Boychuk
Caro Bourgoin
Ianek Regimbald
Evan Gatesman
Jeff Overbo
Daryl Genz
Sunny Freeman-Genz
Steve Goldberg
Brian McKenzie
Alex Zerbe
Jane Jones Zerbe
Eric Chang
Stanford Crew (Alex Dworetsky... and gang -please chime in)
Kyle Hewitt
Cale Mccoy
Justin Dale
Scott Behmer
Danny W.
Zac Jackson
Zeb Jackson
Ben Schmaltz
Jake Wren
Sam Cochlough
James Chance
Reid Strellner
Brianbear (last name?)
Ken K.
Victor Burnham
Chante Killian
Jarrett Brown
Sean Wingert
Christina Murphy
Steve Cline
Chad Clement
Aaron Orton
Nate Linscott
Jame Erickson
Kurt (?) Eugene shredder
Shawnell Toliver
Chase Card Burns
Alex Bernstein
Ben Benulis
Dylan Johnson
Jack Martin
Kevin Hinkel
Aaron Shepard
Zac Miley
Manna Mpepo
Sam Potter
Jen Dryant
Kenny Hensley
Matt Emmings
Jaimee Scheffler

John Stalberger
Kenny Shults
Mag Hughes
Ted Huff
Red Husted
Last edited by redshredz on 03 Jul 2009 15:34, edited 6 times in total.

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 09 Jun 2009 15:11

Jimpenske wrote:So my brothers wedding is the same weekend as US Open! He's been planning it a year in advance and I'm supposed to be in it. So I can't make it this year. I can't believe I'm gonna miss my favorite tournament but I already told him I'd go.
so... is jim going or not...?

not enough canadians are attending this event. shall i compose personal invitations?
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

mannampepo
BSOS Beast

Post by mannampepo » 09 Jun 2009 20:32

i am gonna be there.

JeffOverbo
Multidex Master

Post by JeffOverbo » 09 Jun 2009 21:34

H
Y
P
E!
Hi.

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 09 Jun 2009 22:26

mannampepo wrote:i am gonna be there.
mega props for making the effort.
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 10 Jun 2009 09:52

Hey all,
Yup, Jim Penske is going to be there for sure, as will Scott Bevier now. Also, for the attendance list, please list your real name if you attending : ) More info to come...
R

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 11 Jun 2009 10:54

Here are a few more details about the event;
Both Saturday and Sunday night we are having post shred events.

-Saturday night will be an outdoor gathering (in the patio area of Nautilus, just a walk over from the shred site). It will be catered (to players who are competing or have paid). Here we will have the Hall of Fame inductions and launch party for our endeavors. There is a lot of shred space as well, players can continue kicking as they like : )

-Sunday night will also be on the Nautilus patio and will include the possibl BAP inductions and closing ceremonies.

Also, here are the entry fees. They are a little lower than last year. Everyone needs to register to kick at the event (as Nautilus needs waivers essentially, standard venue protection).

Open Competitors: $45.00
Women's: $45.00
Intermediate: $30.00
Sideline Shredder Basic Package: $20.00 (gets a player's pack)
Sideline Shredder T-shirt Package: $25.00 (player's pack with t-shirt)

The Sideline Shredder entry is for non competing intermediate/open level shredders that are kicking at the event. This is to offset site costs, which are quite large for this type of tournament. Of course we always encourage people to compete, it is good practice for your performing skills : )

Anyhoo, more to come, please contact me with any questions!
R

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 15 Jun 2009 21:04

Hi all,
The epic US Open is quickly approaching! Thanks for the pm's and inquiries about the event, turn out is going to be high. We are doing some very new stuff this year, which we hope will take off for more events in the future. Mainly, this footbag event will not be freestyler centric only anymore, we are offering events for the general public (casual kickers/beginners) as well, instead of just intermediate and open level shredders. I believe this will make it a bit more accessible to the public, they can still be dazzled by the stars of freestyle footbag, but also be able to compete in their own way and feel more comfortable playing. Basically, the event is now for anyone who kicks, not just hard core technical players. At the same time, we calculate this will allow for more cross over into freestyle footbag, a notion that has worked very well for the Sole Purpose Group.

Anyhoo, here are some pictures of the event site, it was a bit overcast when I took them, but as you can see the site is pretty nice.

This is the main freestyle area, it is quite a large space

Different angle. The surface is very tactile and shock absorbent, best stuff I have played on in a while.

The courts are essentially going to be covered in canopies, booths, tables, bleachers, and banners

This is where the outdoor party/inductions will occur, just to the left is the freestyle area and hotel

There is a massive sports field that essentially surrounds the facility, the mountains/hills are a nice backdrop

You can see how close the host hotel is from the site, it basically overlooks it : )

Again, please let me know if you have any questions, many thanks to our friends at Nautilus for working with us on this!
Red

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 15 Jun 2009 21:45

where do we register, .org?
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 16 Jun 2009 10:40

Hi,
With registration, the default will be Friday (July 10th) at 7-9pm in front of Nautilus, as part of the Opening Ceremonies. With registration on .org, we are checking in to see if it is necessary, we usually simply do it the day before the event begins at our registration party. Either way, your covered!
R

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 16 Jun 2009 12:00

awesome! who wants to share a room with me and yigballs? (eoghan mcdowell)
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

JeffOverbo
Multidex Master

Post by JeffOverbo » 16 Jun 2009 19:45

evan and i will
Hi.