Learn How To Run an Event

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
Splint
Angry Hippy

Learn How To Run an Event

Post by Splint » 24 Feb 2005 00:32

This is an extremely comprehensive guide that Bob Reifer of Philly Footworks put together a while back. It is an awesome tool for anyone who's never run an event before and would like to, or anyone who has run an event and would like to do it better next time.

http://www.flipsider.com/know/advice/to ... _guide.php [EDIT: The link no longer works. Please see six posts below for the complete guide. - Moxie]

Read and learn from one of the best and most organized event directors.
Old Skool

AllTheWay
Hack Fiend

Post by AllTheWay » 20 May 2007 12:30

hey this is great, thanks a bunch!!!!!

shred.
Dave Scannell says its a small world!

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 06 Nov 2007 23:23

HMMMMM.... rogue valley jam is turning wheels in my mind right now... i can think of three GREAT places to hold an event that would be willing to. ill let everybody know.
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 17 Dec 2007 10:44

Urgh... our philly-footworks listing ran out I guess.. Page is down. I left a message for Dave Sanchez who always took care of that to see if I can salvage any of the materials from the site still.. Shoot.. I didn't want to lose all those files!
Bob R.

Paul Agostinelli
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Paul Agostinelli » 06 Feb 2008 07:57

the link at the top as previously stated, is dead, any chance of having that resource put back up?? if not, possibly unstickying this thread would be good.

if i recall it was mostly just a text document though, anyone with webspace could host it.
Precisely Mos Eisley

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 24 Mar 2008 07:25

Colin said he's going to post it up on footbag.org. That's the right place for information you don't want to die. I'll Pm him and see if it's up there yet.

edit: next post, I just pasted everything in, it's not pretty etc.. No links work in it anymore but all the main information is still as true as it ever was.
Last edited by Rieferman on 24 Mar 2008 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
Bob R.

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 24 Mar 2008 07:30

Introduction: Table of contents
Running a footbag event is a rewarding experience whether you are running a jam, a camp, a demo, or a full blown tournament. This handbook will help you in your quest. It is recommended that you read this handbook from front to back before beginning your planning steps.

I. What type of event? Table of contents

1. First, you need to decide whether you are holding a “hang outâ€
Bob R.

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 08 Dec 2010 12:10

It seems worth noting that every event should have some kind of first aid kit. You don't have to spend the money to buy a pre-assembled kit, you can just raid someone's bathroom and find what you can, then get the rest at a store.

At minimum, a freestyle first aid kit should include:
  • an instant ice pack or ice and ziplock bags for the inevitable sprained ankle
    an ace bandage for a rolled ankle or a twisted knee
    and band aids (and hopefully an antiseptic like neosporin or an alcohol swab)
The last time I was at a small event someone cut his finger on something random and there was nothing to stop the blood until he found some tape. So, I guess if you don't bring anything else, at least bring some tape. :-)
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 08 Dec 2010 12:12

Approximately how sticky should the tape be? Compared to your average tape used to hold down a 4 square court, should it be more sticky tape, or less sticky tape?

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Dec 2010 12:30

I just re-read Bob's original post, and I have to say: wow, it's even better than I remembered. This should be required reading for everybody who attends an event, and not just for organizers. I think if people understood how much work needs to be put into an event, they'd be more grateful.

Thank you again to Bob for taking the time to write this guide. It's one of the best things I've seen in the sport in a long time. I wish I had re-read this before Funtastiks, because it deserves beers.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Jan 2011 10:58

Bob, you're awesome for writing this whole thing up. This is going to be so helpful in our Spring event. It's also excellent that you're co-hosting it with us ;)
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Re: Learn How To Run an Event

Post by bobgreen » 20 Sep 2014 04:44

I couldn't find any of Bob R's original content in this thread, but I believe this information on .org stems from that.

http://www.footbag.org/reference/-/Run_an_event