Beer appreciation topic

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Beer appreciation topic

Post by Jeremy » 08 Dec 2004 12:22

I can't believe this topic doesn't exist already. I'm a big fan of quality beer - I would definitly rather drink one good beer than two bad ones.

Here are some of the Australian beers I like:

James Boags Premium
James Boags xxx Ale
Both of these are made only a few hours drive from where I live. Premium is probably my favourite Australian beer - it has an awesome taste and feels very light for a full strength beer. XXX ale is Boag's oldest beer - they have been brewing it since 1883. It's not widely known but is becoming more popular as Tasmania (my state) becomes more progressive and tasteful. I'm a big fan of good Ale - especially because most of the beer I drink is from a bottle and Ales are made to be bottled while a lager is made to be kegged - so are better from the tap.

Cascade Premium
Cascade Pale Ale
More beer made in my state. I'm not such a big fan of either compared with Boags - but they are still good beers and Pale Ale is really good value. It often gets rated as the best value for money beer in Australia. Both Premium beers mentioned are regarded as two of the best - if not the best beers in Australia.

Coopers Pale Ale
Coopers Sparkling Ale
From South Australia - would definitly be regarded as another of the best brewers in Australia. Pale Ale is an awesome beer - maybe my second favourite Australia beer. It has sediment in it from a secondary fermentation (I think all Ales get fermented twice) - so is pretty cloudy - but I think that adds to the coolness of the beer.

Little Creatures Pale Ale
From Western Australia. I think it's getting pretty obvious that I like Pale Ales :D - I drunk this for the first time on the weekend and was very impressed. I don't think it would go well as something to binge drink with because it has a very sweet taste and I think if you drunk a few it would start tasting a bit too sweet. However it's still an awesome beer and definitly worth trying out.

Carlton Crown Lager
I thought I'd mention this because it's viewed by a large amount of people as the best beer in Australia. It most certainly isn't!! For starters it is generally sold in bottles despite being a lager - so is often stale. I have never found a place that sells it on tap so I can't comment about drinking it the way it is made to be drunk. It's not a bad beer - but compared with the other beers mentioned it doesn't get any points at all. It's too heavy and bitter. I think it's marketed towards the alpha males who want to drink an expensive beer but not a "metrosexual" tasteful beer.

Of course there are lots of other Australian beers - some of which are good - but I think the first beers I mention are defintily the most excellent beers in Australia.

Imported beers -
I won't talk too much about these because I'm sure local people can give better run downs.

Corona extra
A fantastic Mexican beer. I drink this a lot. Makes you look trendy with the slice of lemon in the beer as well. Actually I heard the other day that lime is better but I haven't ever tried a corona with lime - I should but I was introduced to it with a slice of lemon and have been pretty happy with that!

Stella Artois
Great Belgian beer. I haven't drunk it very much but am always impressed when I do. It's fairly sweet and has a light flavour. I think it was originally a special christmas beer or something like that. It's a Pilsener!

There are a few other beers I could mention but I think there are people from those countries that can say more about them. Look forward to hearing what people have to say!

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 08 Dec 2004 12:35

:o

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 08 Dec 2004 12:42

Well we dont get any of those beers in Canada except Stella Artois and Corona. And Corona's definitely deserve a lime man, switch to green you'll see what I mean, you'll get thanks from your spleen. ok sorry wrong thread..

but yea Corona sorta tastes a little weak over here in my opinion, I don't really buy it much, although on nice warm summer days i may bend that rule.

I LOVE stella, so rich, but you also have to be if you want to buy it on a regular occasion, its like 19 bucks for a 12 here! jeez!

I'm a big fan of Ricards Red and Micks Red (almost the same beer in taste hehe) and mooshead, keiths, pretty much any east cost beer. I also like Kokanee from the west and wildcat is good if your on a budget!
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 08 Dec 2004 12:57

Sleeman Honey Brown - my fav beer

This brown beer is oh so sweet and oh so smooth. With one gram of honey in every bottle and an aftertaste that cant be beat the last sip of the every bottle is always a sad but sweet moment. Whats more is that this is a great beer if you want to drink a lot because it doesnt fill you up or gas you up. Its a great alround beer with a fantastic taste. Enjoy

Sleeman Honey Brown Lager

Brewed in the tradition of cottage breweries at the turn of the century. It is a refreshingly smooth, full-bodied lager.

5.2% alcohol by volume.

Tasting Notes: A refreshingly smooth, full-bodied lager, with a subtle touch of all natural honey which creates a slightly sweet finish.

==============================================

Since 1994
Type Triple fermentation Golden Ale, refermented in the bottle
Alcohol 9 % alc./vol.
Color Blond with a golden hue
Taste Smooth, slightly tart with the balanced flavors of wild spices, malt and hops
Aroma Wild spices
Shelf Life 8 years or more
Serving Suggestions Gourmet dishes, fine cheeses and desserts

In February 1994, after 18 months of research, Unibroue launched La Fin du Monde (the end of the world). It is a 9 percent alcohol, triple fermentation beer. This type of beer was originally developed by the monks of the Middle Ages to be served on special occasions. La Fin du Monde is a deluxe beer made by triple fermentation and a unique way of straining the yeast. This method produces an unexpectedly subtle flavour. With its champagne-like effervescence, it has a vigourous presence in the mouth, which accentuates its strong personality. Slightly tart, with the balanced flavours of wild spices, malt and hops, it belongs to the class of great Trappist beers and, in this regard, is a North American first. At meals, it can replace white or red wines and enhances the flavour of most dishes.

This beer is brewed to honour of the great explorers, who believed they had reached the end of the world when they discovered America.

==============================================

Since 1992
Type Strong Red Ale, refermented in the bottle
Alcohol 8 % alc./vol.
Color Mahogany
Taste Subtle coriande, light spices and a hint of hops
Aroma Spicy
Shelf Life 5 years or more
Serving Suggestions Pasta, red meat, stews and spicy dishes

In November 1992 Maudite (the damned one), was the first strong beer to be distributed in Quebec grocery stores. It contains 8 % alcohol and is also the first beer brewed in America that improves with age. When served young, it is very smooth, but when served after several years of storage, its flavour is reminiscent of port. Maudite is a mahogany-colored, rich-tasting premium beer that has a distinctive, complex taste. Because of the warmth it releases, this strong character beer must be served cool but not cold. Perfect with pasta, red meats, stews and spicy dishes, it also makes a good aperitif and after-dinner drink.

Maudite has a typically Quebecois name that is reminiscent of the legend of the Chasse-Galerie (the legend of the Flying Canoe). Legend has it that a group of lumberjacks struck a deal with the devil to fly home in their canoes, guided by Satan himself, to make it home in time for Christmas.

===========

I hope some fellow baggers got a chance to try the last two in Montreal this summer
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

ted
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ted » 08 Dec 2004 14:03

Yeah, the Unibroue beers are good, I used to get them in Wisconsin.
other favorties:

Michigan:
Bells Double Cream Stout
Bells Expedition Stout
Bells Two-Hearted Ale

Delaware:
Dogfish Head 90 and 120 minute Pale Ale
Dogfish Head Immort Ale
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (18% ABV!!!!!)
Dogfish Head Barley Wine

Jeremy: Cooper's Stout is pretty good but I find most Aussie beers to be lacking. I have a friend that moved to Tassie and now to Dunedin and he is remiss about not bring more American beer with him.

I have many bottles of these guys aging in my closet, 2+ years on many of them. I love beer!!! I used to brew my own, 5 gallons at a time. Brewed and drank 65 gallons total.

P.S. There was a topic on this but it got deleted in the spring cleaning
Theodore Anderson

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 08 Dec 2004 14:18

im a bud man

Budwiser

jhibbs
Shredaholic

Post by jhibbs » 08 Dec 2004 14:44

I unfortunately have never heard of/tasted of most of the beers in this thread so far, but hopefully that can be remedied. I used to drink mostly bud, but now I prefer Yuengling (regular or black and tan). I hear it's difficult to find outside northeast US, as it doesn't travel well.

crazygeminirider
Hack Fiend

Post by crazygeminirider » 08 Dec 2004 15:33

ill stick with my milwauke's best..lol...thats wat all the parties are all about..lol..kegs of that
Tim

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Dec 2004 16:25

ted wrote: Jeremy: Cooper's Stout is pretty good but I find most Aussie beers to be lacking. I have a friend that moved to Tassie and now to Dunedin and he is remiss about not bring more American beer with him.
Which Aussie beers? There are at least 77 different breweries in Australia - There is a huge range in beers - I doubt your friend has tried most of them. The beers I mentioned are usually not on tap any where and are definitly some of the more expensive Australian beers. The main beer to be exported from Australia is Fosters and nobody in Australia drinks it. The most advertised beer at least around Tasmania and Victoria is Victoria bitter which I wouldn't give to a dog.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Dec 2004 16:43

The best beer I ever drank was in Prague. Pilsner Urquell on tap.

In distant second place, are several of the Unibroue microbrews from Montreal. Trois Pistoles is a special favorite. I remember my last night in Montreal last summer, I partied at Yacine`s with the Czechs, Montreal crew, and some others.
I made all the Czechs try Trois Pistoles, and they all literally made this face: 8O , followed by this one :? followed by this face :x

:lol: They`ve been spoiled by Czech beer for sure.

Frenzal
Shredaholic

Post by Frenzal » 10 Dec 2004 02:10

I'm a big fan of Stella if i've got $$ in my back pocket, otherwise i'll drink tui (affectionately known as bird shit and feathers) which isn't bad for a cheap ale. Actually it's still prety bad, but it's better than VB! Jeremy don't even think of putting your poor canine pal through that sort of cruel and unusual punishment. New Zealand brews some nice beers; Hoppers fruity ale is made about 40 mins from where i live and it's bloody nice but (like all good beer) quite extravagant in the flavour and the price. Monteiths summer ale is good, man, thsi topics as bad as the favourite books one... i could sit here all night and reminisce... hell, the crickets not on what else would i be doing... monteiths black is a nice stout 5.2%, but mind you i like guiness aswell which isn't everybodys cup of tea. To me there's just something about a dark beer i love, probably 90% of lagers i dislike, give me an ale anyday, but only a couple, my liver's shot and i smoke more than drink these days.

Mmmmm, beer...
-Dale Jury

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 10 Dec 2004 21:38

C-Fan wrote:The best beer I ever drank was in Prague. Pilsner Urquell on tap. In distant second place, are several of the Unibroue microbrews from Montreal.
word!

a little note on stella artois. in belgium they call it "wife beater" because it's the cheap shitty beer that low rent white trash buys. i still think it's pretty good. i was at the lc the other bay about bought a bunch of urquell cans... not the same...
A.G.

wolfpac444
Your Friendly Admin

Post by wolfpac444 » 10 Dec 2004 22:38

No beer is the beer for me.
Mike Hansen

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 11 Dec 2004 02:22

Yeah beer out of a can is a crime in my opinion. I'd rather go with Mike's beer than a can beer.

HackyRichard
BSOS Beast

Post by HackyRichard » 11 Dec 2004 06:32

Oh oh, best beer ever,

Swan Light ... in a can

... Yeah Right!!! :lol: :lol:
Richard Pearce

Josh B
queef magnet

Post by Josh B » 11 Dec 2004 17:35

Pilsner urquell is deffinately good Ken. It's the saaz hops that make it. Another thing that gives it unique taste (though it may be hard to tell) is the water they initially brew it with; it is extremely soft. hardly has any minerals in it at all. I deffinately prefer any type of lager over ale. Lagers are much crisper, and most ales have a flavor of butter or butterscotch. sooo...im gonna have to say...
Favorite lager- Pilsner urquell
Favorite Ale- Troegg's mad elf holiday ale, or guiness stout. mmm.
-JB <?

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 11 Dec 2004 21:22

Benham,

I highly recommend you try the Brooklyn Lager and the Brooklyn Ale. Fresh is better, of course, but a good cold bottle of the lager is still uncommonly good. It even smells better than any other beer I can remember. Without doubt my favorite now.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 11 Dec 2004 21:57

1) Blue Dry (havin' one right now)
2) Corona
3) Molson Dry (foufs beer of choice)
James McCullough

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 11 Dec 2004 22:07

"Grolsh" for me.
Sergey Pikalov

ShredPirate
Punkass

Post by ShredPirate » 11 Dec 2004 22:34

i like anything german. i don't like stuff like mgd, corona, fosters, or coors.
i also like old rasputin.

Chris Pinkus