Legover/Switch

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

FootBaGGeRKiD
Hack Fiend

Legover/Switch

Post by FootBaGGeRKiD » 08 Dec 2004 18:21

Legover/Switch
SET >> OP OUT[DEX] > SAME TOE [DEL]
http://www.hackrifice.com/minisooper/2legover.mpg
http://www.hackrifice.com/minisooper/2legoverclip.mpg

well, i can get clipper stall on my right foot 75% of the time and left foot like 25% of the time (skoolin left foot right now) and i can get an, like, almost butterfly i can get the whole part except the dex (i think thats the right word) lol, when i add that its hard as hell, but i still can't even get legovers to save my life :evil:
KyLe HiLdEbRaNd
- Boulder, Colorado -

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Dec 2004 18:33

Firstly please make all replies to this topic here [Mod Edit: Non-existent thread link removed. -Moxie]

Secondly I don't know if you've noticed but this sub forum is called "trick tips" - it is a forum where people either post or ask for tips for tricks. It's now where you simply post what you can and cannot do.

Also if you are looking for tips for tricks - and I can only presume you are since you posted in this topic. Simply saying "I can't hit legover" or whatever is not very good information. It's hard to tell you what you are doing wrong if we don't know what you're doing. For example you might be hitting the bag with your leg when you start the dex. The bag might be hitting the ground before you can get under it. These are very different things and would require different tips to help you to hit the move.

To sum up - please look for topics that already exist on the subject you want to post. Read them and if you still need help post about it - there is nothing wrong with bumping an old topic!!

FootBaGGeRKiD
Hack Fiend

Post by FootBaGGeRKiD » 08 Dec 2004 18:34

well, yea, the bag does hit my calf sometimes on the dex, but mostly i can't get my leg under it in time
KyLe HiLdEbRaNd
- Boulder, Colorado -

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Dec 2004 18:41

Jeremy wrote:Firstly please make all replies to this topic here [Mod Edit: Non-existent thread link removed. -Moxie]

FootBaGGeRKiD
Hack Fiend

Post by FootBaGGeRKiD » 08 Dec 2004 18:42

crap, my bad
KyLe HiLdEbRaNd
- Boulder, Colorado -

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 04:39

Th3jermster
Circle Kicker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:18 pm Post subject: leg overs step by step Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
want it try leg overs i seem to be too slow i only landed one once and i still do get it but ya can some one tell me how to do a leg over and pick ups step by step ? oh ya and do leg overs need lots of speed thank you, jeremy
B_Man
Egyptian Footgod

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Legovers are like punctuation - the more you practice the more naturally it comes. Not only does a proper Legover lead to new, more exciting tricks (such as Illusion, and further down the road, Eggbeater) but proper punctuation can lead to new, more excititing jobs through proper resumes!

The first step to Legovers is you need a good solid beginning - a toe delay where you aren't shaky and off balanced. This is much like a sentence where if you start with a capitalized letter it doesn't not make the reader off balance and shaky followed by whatever it is you are trying to communicate. In Legover's case, that solid 'n balanced toe stall is followed by a hop off the support foot as you set the bag upwards. You then go over from out - in with the "jumping" leg and you catch it on the same toe as you land on the other foot.

And there you have it! Isn't life in a nutshell exciting? Weee!

PS - No offence ment by ripping on your punctuation. It's all in good fun Very Happy

SlashC wrote:
mosher wrote:
Freestyle is just an afterthought?

I suggest not even including it.

Well for all the eastern shredders that came to shredmonton last year... (zero) it might as well be a net only event Wink .

PWNED.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wim
Multidex Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
No, it's not a speed thing! The main thing to remember is timing.
Say you're trying a leg over set from the right foot. Set the bag straight up (about knee high). BEFORE the set foot lands, hop off the left foot so you're up in the air with both feet for a split second. THEN from the moment your dex leg is off the ground, start the dex with the calf or the ankle, as you prefer.

By this time you have completed a SUPER-CLEAN legover!!!

The same timing applies to a pick-up, but the dex direction is reversed.

Let us know how it gets along!

Bllllog-Challlengiz-Org gallery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SlashC
Fearless

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Here's how I do a legover:

1) Set the bag up to about thigh height

2) While the bag is on the way up, plant the setting foot as quickly as possible. It's not a stomping kind of plant. Try to touch down swiftly with the front part of the foot. The important thing is to maintain balance.

3) As the bag approaches the zenith bring the dexing leg up and to 45 degrees pointing towards the ground. It's hard to describe this position without a picture. Imagine it like this: right knee knee bent at 90 degrees with foot pointing down to the ground. Now move the lower part of the leg 45 degrees to the left. The knee will be pointing away from the body.

4) Spot the bag at the apex. It should be ideally just inside the little crook between the knee and the shin.

5) Swing the leg around the bag continuing the out to in motion all the time picturing the downward vector of the bag (what was just spotted in step 4).

6) As the bag descends towards the ground complete the dex by moving the foot in under the bag and gently cushioning it with both the delaying leg and by bending the supporting knee. It also can help to slightly hop off the supporting leg as the bag is delayed (pretty much the same as bending the supporting knee).

------------------------------

And with a couple minor changes here's how to do a pickup (steps 1,2,6 are the same as legover):

3) As the bag approaches the zenith bring the dexing leg up and to 45 degrees pointing towards the ground. It's hard to describe this position without a picture. Imagine it like this: right knee knee bent at 90 degrees with foot pointing down to the ground. Now move the lower part of the leg 45 degrees to the right. The knee will be pointing inwards towards the body.

4) Spot the bag at the apex. It should be ideally just outside the little crook between the knee and the shin.

5) Swing the leg around the bag continuing the in to out motion all the time picturing the downward vector of the bag (what was just spotted in step 4).

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

"If you had phalli of the left and right persuasion... which would you copulate with?"
- Dr. B Suess

Buy ShrEdmonton Shirts!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wim
Multidex Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:14 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
All of this is true. Smile

As to my previous post, I'd like to add that you can also set & start the dex simultaneously. In other words: you'll be pretty much using the upward power of your support leg for the set & not the set foot (you need to bend the support leg slightly to gather enough force for this).

Sounds weird? That's how I do legovers n pickups these days; IMO the easiest way.

FootBaGGeRKiD
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
when i do legovers the bag hits my calf usually on the dex, but when it doesn't i can't get my leg under it in time
SlashC
Fearless

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Just keep practising. Repitition will build the muscle memory, will make it easier and easier each time you try it.

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

"If you had phalli of the left and right persuasion... which would you copulate with?"
- Dr. B Suess

Buy ShrEdmonton Shirts!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wim
Multidex Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
@footbaggerkid:

perhaps your dexes are too wide? Make sure you set the bag close to your body, almost from under you (but not completely, you don't want to hit that other sack). The bag shouldn't be more than a foot away from you.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Feb 2006 08:59

?
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:52 pm Post subject: Little help on legovers? Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I can't seem to get my leg to move fast enough around the bag.
mosher
brutal footbag cronie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Practice practice practice practice practice x infinity billion.

The reason you can't go fast enough is because you havn't done the motions enough times so you havn't developed the muscles needed to make your leg move in that way.

Remember, BOTH SIDES!!!!!!!!!
?
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Aha...
Bagira
Hack Fiend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
For the legover, speed isn't the key element. The placing of the window is.

Just set the bag straight up. Plant setting foot. Bring opposite foot up and over the bag. Point your heel inward and your toes outward for a 'faster' dex. It will feel faster. Try to have the bag pass from your knee area to your foot. That provides ample for you to catch the bag.

YOu can also do the legover much closer to the ankle part, where you dex it quicker and have to be more precise. Doesn't look nearly as good. I don't do it that way unless I can't otherwise, such as when I landed my first pixie legover a week or so ago.

A lot of moves, you'll eventually see are a matter of placing the window. The dex movement is pretty reasonable. For example, I used to try to do mirage by leaping over the bag. Bad idea. Now, if I let it just fall through my window, I hit it much more often and it looks cleaner.
Iron Clad Ben
Shredalicious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Important thing for legover is the "magic hop". This made all the difference in the world for me. Doing this trick muted i.e. with original plant foot staying flat, you will only cause yourself infinite frustration. Instead:

Exclamation THE MAGIC HOP Exclamation As you are setting with your first foot, hop off your foot that that is going to do the dex. If you try to plant your set foot then lift your dexing leg to dex, you are just slowing yourself down and making the trick harder. Instead, as you are setting, hop off your dexing leg so that it's already in the air as the bag is moving to your other side, so you are begining the dex as the bag is moving sideways. Then, your set leg is coming down to plant as you are finishing the dex with your other leg.

Once you get the magic hop down, you should find the trick MUCH easier.
**insert air guitar solo here**
hackeysnacker
BSOS Beast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
there are 2 ways to do legover, uptime, and downtime. you'll have to learn downtime legover in order to do illusion, and uptime legover will help with atomic sets. Try to map out the dex with ur knees and not your foot for either type of legover.
?
Hack Fiend

New postPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Thanks for the input. I'll put it to the test.

apoplectic
Shredalicious

leg overs need help

Post by apoplectic » 04 May 2007 10:26

im having some problems with these.i cant seem to do the dex in time and if a do get them to land on my foot my foot is allready on the ground.any help?
David Adams

shred till your dead

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 04 May 2007 10:59

Have you already checked "Anz Trix" ? These are nice tutorial vids,
from basic stalls to advanced shizznik .

What helped me personally was skooling the hell out of toe stalls and around the world . If its really a timing issue only, try to plant your setting leg as
fast as you can. That should give you enough time to swing the other leg
around your bag . Add a nice catch and theres endorhine rushes right thurr !

Good luck, and by the way, i'm sure this trick has been discussed already,
so you might look for it in this section first before crating a new topic.
That goes for most tricks :wink: .
EASYKINKI

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 04 May 2007 12:23

J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 04 May 2007 17:55

Checking out THIS thread will lead you to THIS thread on legovers. Please look around the first thread before making a new topic in this section.

[Merged with other Legover thread in Tip Tricks]
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

apoplectic
Shredalicious

Post by apoplectic » 04 May 2007 23:28

weird,i searched and got nothing on leg overs :?

edit: i misspelled leg overs in the search.i put in leh overs :oops: my bad
David Adams

shred till your dead

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 06 May 2007 06:17

practice consecutive toe stalls with the "magic hop" and also practice atw out-in. If the bag is hitting your calf mabye try to start dexing before your setting leg has come back to the ground(so you are sort of hopping off the dexing leg) and try to get your setting leg down as quickly as you can. Also try pointing your heel inwards as you are dexing, it may help.

apoplectic
Shredalicious

Post by apoplectic » 07 May 2007 04:05

whats a magic hop?

edit:nevermind i saw it in a previous post
David Adams

shred till your dead

mannel rox
Shredalicious

Legover without a set?

Post by mannel rox » 20 Dec 2007 18:13

Not sure if this has already been posted, and I'm really sorry if it was, but if you practice the legover without the set and just the dex, does it affect your progress? Or is it fine?

Thanks

Chim-Chim
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Chim-Chim » 20 Dec 2007 18:34

learning where to set the bag and how fast to plant your foot for each trick is probably the more frustrating part of learning a new move. If you ignore the set your strings will be cut short and you'll stunt your progress.
Jake Raye

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 21 Dec 2007 07:13

Although that is true, but some people cannot get the dex too be accurate and fast therefore practice on the dex won't be detrimental. I'd suggest practicing both the dex, and the dex and set or just practice it normally. Everyone is different and some people learn differently than others.

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 21 Dec 2007 10:58

I'm not totally sure what you mean. If you mean should I practice the legover without setting with my other foot? I would say practice it every way possible, hand set, atw (+ ss legover so plant the feet than dex ), legover, ss legover, far legover. That way you'll learn how to control the bag and to make your movements more efficient. If you mean if you should practice the move itself (legover) without putting a set in front, well yeah practice it a bunch and keep practicing it untill your tripless.