Osis

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

footymatt
Shredaholic

Post by footymatt » 24 Jan 2007 12:55

when catching the bag should I have so much control I could just hold the bag in the catch before the swing? Or should it feel more "slippery"?
<--==╡"F♂OtYmÄtT"╞==-->
To bend and move is natural; to play footbag is naturaler!! Ha Ha
-Matt Hennemuth
Footy Footbags Club

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 24 Jan 2007 13:57

[Merged the newer thread "Osis..." with this thread, "Osis" which already existed in this subforum. Please re-read the rules for the Trick Tips forum. Thanks.]
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 24 Jan 2007 14:06

To answer the above question, when I do osis:

I try to get control of the bag from the time that my foot starts lowering to catch the bag. My goal is to have the bag firmly stalled when my foot reaches its lowest point in the osis. When I start to bring my foot up for the release, there should be no bag rolling at all or else the set will come off imprecise.

Osis is a slippery feeling move, but it should not feel slippery the whole way through.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 14 Feb 2007 10:10

Any tips for flying Osis? Ive tried a few times but its a hard ass trick.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 14 Feb 2007 10:23

its all about the piston action of your other leg. if you get that down for foe you just exaggerate it a little more and make sure the bag is spotted right on your shoe...timing...yeah. those are the keys as far as i can tell.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Pancake Flogger
Multidex Master

Osis

Post by Pancake Flogger » 11 Apr 2008 13:40

I don't really understand this trick. I feel like spinning 180 degrees and then landing a clipper doesn't look the same as the Osis' I've seen in videos. What exactly am I supposed to do? It almost looks like you need to catch the bag on one side and bring it over to the other.

If that didn't make any sense, it's merely a reflection of how confused this trick makes me. Help!

[Mod edit: Please check the "TRICK TIPS MASTER LIST" before starting a new post. There is already a thread for this trick. Merged. -Erik]

mc
Modifiend

Re: Osis

Post by mc » 11 Apr 2008 15:03

Pancake Flogger wrote:What exactly am I supposed to do? It almost looks like you need to catch the bag on one side and bring it over to the other.
you answered your question in the following sentence :)

the way you do that is to catch in the following position.

1. Put your catching foot in normal inside stall position.

2. point your catching leg knee at your support leg knee by turning it in.

if you look past your catch leg upper portion (otherwise known as "butt cheek") you should see your inside surface, ready to catch the footbag behind you.

When setting the osis, you should set from the foot opposite the catch foot. The bag should fall right past said butt cheek, and hit your foot. When it does this, delay and scoop into clipper position, and then call your friends and tell them you're having a party to celebrate your first proper osis, then explain what that is because they will be confused.

You said that your first inclination was to do a 180 spin, then catch. That's definitely overdoing it, but SOME spin is good while you're scooping osis. It makes it look smoother, and it makes it easier to control.

Good luck!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Pancake Flogger
Multidex Master

Post by Pancake Flogger » 12 Apr 2008 09:09

Thanks a ton. That clears things up a great deal. Awesome band you have going, by the way.

Footbaggerk
Hack Fiend

Post by Footbaggerk » 14 Nov 2008 18:49

Hey,
i've been playing for like 4 1/2 weeks, and i can hit osis like 80% of the time
i learned it by mistake while i was messin around with my heel stalls
it slid off my heel and my first reaction was to swing it around, try doing it like that, it might help

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 16 Nov 2008 18:37

Don't do it like that.

Osis requires a mini-spin before or at least during the catch.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 16 Nov 2008 20:00

The best looking osis in my opinion (Yacine, Ales, Juho) all basically finish with a normal clipper stall. When doing back to back osis the bag should go up and down over the exact same spot.

I'm certainly not an expert on osis, but I try and think of it as a clipper stall that goes behind the back.

80% success rate is about 19.99% too low.

MarQuezo
Hack Fiend

Post by MarQuezo » 03 Dec 2008 11:51

I hit osis for the first time yesterday(i've never really tried i guess) using Matt's advice and it worked out nice. Im suprised i got it on my 2nd or third try.Definitley a fun trick
Markus Ward

Toe Walls Are Sexy

maverick-morley
Shredaholic

Post by maverick-morley » 13 Aug 2009 12:55

i have been watching alot of footbag videos and is it my imagenation, but is osis one of the slowest tricks to carry out?

the actual motion itself?!?!
Mav

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 14 Aug 2009 00:03

Not really, I think you think that, because of the motion involved. For me Osis is a lot more of a hip movement. I go to catch it, and the i turn to look at it in the clipper position. And i can see how from stall, to release it could see slow because of the way it travels Xbody from you.

maverick-morley
Shredaholic

Post by maverick-morley » 14 Aug 2009 05:03

oh ok cool, perhaps its just my imagenation.

i had a go at doing osis for the first time ever yesturday. i set with my hand, and though it didnt come back up where i wanted, it caught onto my foot and went thru reasonaby smooth which i was happy about!
Mav

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 18 Aug 2009 06:34

it CAN be a very slow move, I think few tricks are actually stalled on the foot as long as osis is.

Like Zeb said, it's hippy. Your foot moves one way and the hip tends to move oppositely

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 10 Dec 2009 02:43

G'day guys,

I think I am having trouble with my Osis technique so I thought I should post a video of me doing a couple Osis. I have read pretty much every tip on all the sites and have gained some tips from some people I play with.
I find a lot of the time when I try to Osis the bag does get around and I do some sort of motion however, I can't help but notice that it usually lands closer to the heel than the toe or 'sweet spot' that I have analysed as the landing spot for this trick.
I have watched Matt Cross video and it seems to help out a lot but I still feel as if there is something wrong with the catch. ANyway please check the video and fel free to leave some tips.
sorry about the bad filming.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clW-ohXa_WM[/youtube]

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 10 Dec 2009 21:42

You are leaning back too much so that when you delay, you have to set the bag (for the next trick if there was one) too soon or else you will fall back.(Ir you rewatch your vid, you will see that you are setting your delay foot down to catch your balance.)

Make sure that your posture is straight and that you are not leaning back.

One thing that I think would help this is if you try to freeze in the delay position WITHOUT moving your support leg. In other words, do an osis, but don't throw it up after the delay, just hold the catch for enough time to know that you will not fall from failed balance. This will help you understand the posture that you need for good form. Once you get that, try doing consecutive osii, freezing for about 3 seconds before setting for each osis. Count out loud if you have to, it will help.

This will help your legs become independent of each other.

Good luck!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 10 Dec 2009 23:54

Thanks TJ,

I shall go practice that and get my posture correct. I always seem to struggle with my posture on tricks, which is a nuisance.

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 12 Dec 2009 04:15

You'd think after a few days of about 6 hours total shred I would be able to start hitting this better but I have not really improved. Aaah, I don't know how to freeze the bag properly on the other side. It either rolls off or stalls on the heel( has anyone else had this same problem that knows how to correct this heel). Do I follow through with my leg to catch it or do I try catching it behind my back like in frigid osis?