ToledoAreaFootblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Donovon
Multidex Master

ToledoAreaFootblog

Post by Donovon » 31 Dec 2009 11:03

I figured that since its pretty much the last day of the year I should get this going for years to come.
So.
How it all began...
Donovon and a friend decided to go to a jazz convention in Chicago over labor day weekend '09. When he actually realized how much that would cost and his friend bailed, Donovon and a couple other friends were searching for other things to do that weekend and stumbled across the Funtastik Summer Classic '09. That september, four guys from ToledoArea drove eight hours out to Harrisburg, PA simply to watch and check it out.
And so it began...
Coming home, the footbag scene exploded. We played a bunch. Started a blog (which converted itself to a facebook thing). Donovon started a footbag club at his university. We kept getting more people to play with us. Yadda Yadda Yadda.
Needless to say, we might not be good (yet), but we love to play.

Core players of the ToledoArea:
Donovon Thakur (Donovon)
Steven Stuart (st.stuart)
Matt Chlebowski
Zach Cousino
Nik Thakur
Sawyer Frey
Greg Archer
Brendon Crosby

Thanks everyone for your help and influence. Check back for updates from the Area.
~Donovon
Last edited by Donovon on 03 Feb 2010 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 31 Dec 2009 11:07

ToledoArea sent NINE people to NYJ!
...Brendon, Matt, Donovon, Zach, Steven, Sawyer, Kim, Nik, Greg...
We all just got back and everyone had a blast. For some of us, it was the first time with freestyle up close. We were also introduced to the wide world of four square. Most of us will definitely be back next year. Thanks to everyone for their help, tips, influence, and showing us a great time.

~Donovon
Last edited by Donovon on 31 Dec 2009 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 31 Dec 2009 11:11

Steven and I drove up to Ann Arbor today for a session with Adam Keith, Kevin Cronk, and Greg Nelson. Kicked in a little corner in the basement of the Ice Arena. Good time.

Highlights for me:
Butterfly bsos
Far pickup
Toe set DaDa

We both got a lot of basics tips at NYJ. Need to hit the shed and spend a lot more time on basics.

~Donovon

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 02 Jan 2010 02:02

Donovon wrote:Steven and I drove up to Ann Arbor today for a session with Adam Keith, Kevin Cronk, and Greg Nelson.
Nice

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 13 Jan 2010 10:31

Gald to hear y'all had a good time at NYJ. Hope to play more squares with y'all next year.

Please say hi to Kevin Cronk and Greg Nelson for me the next time you see them.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 22 Jan 2010 14:38

Will do Zeke.

So i have found time/place between 9:30-10:20 MWF to solo in the green room between classes at my school. I get a lot of looks from the faculty, but its cool. No one has said anything yet.

Highlights, eh.
-I just feel overall improvement
-Knees and toes are way better, and not to mention fun
4x ss strong clipper
2x ss flip clipper, still working here
Actually nailing ATW strong side (lol, this sounds lame but it just doesnt click for some reason. Can now hit flip, but really inconsistent.
And like i said, general improvement

And why is it that every time you schedule a session everyone bails? The university club i started is pretty much done for. I think out advisor is leaving the university next year and every in it seems to be unable to find any time to get together (at least after they say they will make it) (or if they wake up by 2:30)

~Donovon

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 22 Jan 2010 20:21

Donovon wrote: And why is it that every time you schedule a session everyone bails?
Man that is the eternal question. I wish I had an answer. Ummm... hang in there & the people who are truly interested will demonstrate their interest through their actions? It sucks putting a lot of effort into planning a session for nothing though.

Zjeezy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Zjeezy » 22 Jan 2010 22:39

Michigan never bails. Unless its to an osis
zach jahner

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 23 Jan 2010 14:08

Frank_Sinatra wrote:
Donovon wrote: And why is it that every time you schedule a session everyone bails?
hang in there & the people who are truly interested will demonstrate their interest through their actions? It sucks putting a lot of effort into planning a session for nothing though.
I keep telling myself that.

Today was cool. Finally hooked up with the local juggling club at school. It was totally awesome. They have pretty much everything represented there (balls, clubs, rings, contact, diabolo, bounce, cigar box, unicycle, passing, pretty much everything). Tried clubs for the first time. Definitely gonna show up more.
Kicked a little there too. It was cool that a lot of them have heard of peter irish and saw him at RIT a couple years ago. There might be a group of them going this year, which is cool too since i think im headin there for GRASS.
And... I was just contacted yesterday about maybe having some footbag at this upcoming Dance Marathon. In case you don't know, Dance Marathon is a 32 hour fundraiser that raises money for Children's Miracle Network and Mercy Children's Hospital in Toledo. This year's Dance Marathon is going to be held on April 10th and 11th (weekend before GRASS/RIT Juggle-in), 2010 @ BGSU. They mostly want some people to demonstrate, maybe show people how to kick, and be interactive. In the middle of trying to get some commitment there.
And... ive been on the largest trading frenzy and have gotten some really sweet bags. I dont know what to do im just so excited, lol.

More updates later.

~Donovon

st.stuart
Circle Kicker

Post by st.stuart » 03 Feb 2010 14:44

Hey all! I'm Steve, one of the guys from the Toledo area. Don and I get together and shred as often as possible (as we live 10ish minutes away from each other) but conflicting school schedules don't permit to much time.

I just registered to this blog yesterday. Now that I have, I'll probably be posting things I can and/or can't do during my shred sessions. I manage to play every teus and thurs for about an hour. I try to kick once or twice on the weekends too.

Right now I'm trying to hammer some clipper to clipper action. I feel pretty solid on mirages, but my around the worlds leave a little something to be desired.... I know that's bad. clipper is just so much more appealing to me atm.
Steve Stuart

BAZINGA!

.....ToledoAreaFootblog .....

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 03 Feb 2010 17:53

st.stuart wrote:but conflicting school schedules don't permit to much time.
Yes, this isnt cool.

Couple of my students canceled today so i get a session in this evening.
Highlights:
168 consecutives
3 clippers b2b (twice)
5x ss strong clipper
2x ss flip clipper
infinity- just 2 butterflies, flip to strong
*and the other day i hit 10 ATW's out-to-in strong foot, working on other ones

Hope to kick with Steven soon.

~Donovon

st.stuart
Circle Kicker

Post by st.stuart » 10 Feb 2010 18:31

Got a shred in today with Don. Not a whole lot of new things to mention. Just solidifying basics I'd say.
We didn't really go for anything huge, just tried strings. AtW, Pixie, Mirage, repeat opp side seems to be a pretty good drill.
I've been hammering clippers though.... just seems to be the most appealing thing to me right now (that and Julien gave me a challenge involving clippers). I can now hit 6 clipper straight now my right side and only about 3 on my left, 4 alternating. It's coming along.
Don's butterflies are looking really solid right now. He hit some pretty wild stings. We both goofed around with Osis for a while, and he actually hit one. which was cool for both of us. Clipper to Osis is a goal of mine. Don told me about Torque which sounds sweet! But I'm miles from that right now.
Don and I are hoping to make it out to Ann Arbor to shred with some of the guys from up there this saturday. Todays shred was needed though. Gotta keep on those basics. I feel like they're getting stronger so thats good.

Anyway, thats about it... Don will fill in anything I may have missed
Steve Stuart

BAZINGA!

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 14 Feb 2010 12:45

Yesterday was quite the day.
Shred in Ann Arbor @ the ice cube. Greg Nelson, Mike Hollis, Zach Jahner, Adam Keith, Steven, and Myself.
And my sister came out to watch us for an hour or so. She's never seen me play before.
I had such a great time.. I cant speak so much for the other guys, but i could post some of my recent highlights:

ATW>Downtime Pixie>Mirage- BSOS
Infinity multiple times
Paradox Mirage BSOS
Symposium Mirage x2 diff times
4 alternating clippers
A few solid osis
Spinning Clipper>toe
Really close to strong DATW

Been playing often lately. Not necessarily a ton, but often, which im alright with.

I was also informed yesterday that all the guys at the session yesterday will be attending BGSU Dance Marathon. As mentioned earlier "Dance Marathon is a 32 hour fundraiser that raises money for Children's Miracle Network and Mercy Children's Hospital in Toledo. This year's Dance Marathon is going to be held on April 10th and 11th (weekend before GRASS/RIT Juggle-in), 2010 @ BGSU" Adam, Mike, Greg, and Zach are gonna help showcase footbag during the event and we have some stage time where we are going to put together a Demo. Im really excited because not to many people in my area have really seen footbag. They know about it now, and they know that there are a few who play in the area, but they have never really seen it. And this event has historically been pretty big. Ill keep everyone posted.

Hope to kick with everyone on a more regular basis.
:D

~Donovon

hrdcorethndr1
Shredaholic

Post by hrdcorethndr1 » 02 Mar 2010 11:27

(weekend before GRASS/RIT Juggle-in)

...psssssst go to GRASS :)
Zachary Morgan

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 04 Mar 2010 10:42

I intend on it. :wink: However, i fear i will be making the trip solo. Steven has prior obligations :(

Too much drilling lately, not enough shred. Pretty frustrated in general with flip clippers. Ive lost my flip butterfly.

I did finally get a camcorder so I would like to get some footage up soon. I also want to start a critique thread for myself. I could really use the outside opinion.

Osis is beginning to make sense. I can feel it strong, but my flip clipper deficiencies make it hard to feel flip.

Hoping Steven is free sometime (cough cough)

~Donovon

hrdcorethndr1
Shredaholic

Post by hrdcorethndr1 » 04 Mar 2010 15:14

Its cool that you are going, I will get to play with somone that hasn't hit 234897289472948723 more adds than i have there. Can't wait, we should trade bags there! If your interested, send me a pm, i can cook you up something sweet.
Zachary Morgan

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 08 Mar 2010 17:42

BGSU Dance Marathon 2010 is coming up! In case you don't know, Dance Marathon is a 32 hour fundraiser that raises money for Children's Miracle Network and Mercy Children's Hospital in Toledo. This year's Dance Marathon is going to be held on April 10th and 11th. We will be giving a demo during our stage time (Many thanks to Adam, Mike, Zach, and Greg) from 2:15pm-2:25pm on Saturday, April 10th. After that we will "teach" from 2:25pm-3:45pm on Saturday.
Be sure not to miss it. And encourage anyone you know to come check out footbag and dance marathon.

Adam came out to shred with Steven and myself on Saturday. It was a good time.
Yesterday and today i hit:
6 alternating clippers (dropped on the 7th)
Legover bsos

~Donovon

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 12 Mar 2010 18:57

Session in the park.

st.stuart
Circle Kicker

Post by st.stuart » 23 Mar 2010 09:18

Good picture.

I played for a while today in my basement. The most significant thing I hit was Pickup and Leg Over BSOS. Which I was pretty proud of, even though the weak side leg over was probably luck. I spent a good deal of the time working on it. It makes me feel like my around the worlds are in pretty good shape.
Still having some trouble with my weak side clippers and I know it's because of my crank, it just won't get there!!! ARGH!!!It can get pretty frusturating.
I've gotten down strong side Osis. It doesn't look all that pretty, but I can do it. Weak side is still beyond my comprehension.

I can't speak for Donovon, though I'm sure he feels the same, but it all feels good not great. We/I seem to be nearing the end of solidifying the basics. I'm not saying we're gonna be busting out some crazy huge tricks any time soon. I'm just saying that it feels like we're nearing a spot where we can just pick up a bag and shred with relative success, as opposed to dropping the bag every few seconds.
And that is a good feeling. :)
Steve Stuart

BAZINGA!

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 04 Apr 2010 09:45

Whew.
So my recital is over.
The end of the semester is near.
The weather is getting nicer.
Dance marathon (which we are playing at)[SEE ABOVE] is this upcoming weekend.
GRASS is the following weekend.
New shred music.
Things are looking up.

Highlights:
9 Strong Clippers
6 Flip Clippers
4 Infinities
Something Im going to call Symposium Butterfly because i dont see what else it could be called

Juggled clubs for the first time last week. Pretty excited for the juggling part of GRASS too. Getting really into 4 ball juggling. Hope to start some cool patterns soon.

And I really wanted to share these photos.
ImageImage

~Donovon