Sable Suede

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Stefan
Multidex Master

Sable Suede

Post by Stefan » 13 Feb 2010 12:41

I went to the local fabricland today and asked if the carried microsuede, facile, or amaretta.

She was completely clueless as to what these materials were and pointed out Sable suede to me.

Is it just as viable as microsuede, facile, or amaretta when it come stitching a bag?

If not, where can I get my hands on some with in the country. I would prefer not having to go through paying tax, shipping, and handling.

Thanks.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 13 Feb 2010 14:50

Maybe Tom Mosher can sell you some extra to get started, and you can share an order with someone to split the shipping, from www.fieldsfabrics.com
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 13 Feb 2010 15:12

Don't know anything about sable suede. Part of the business of being a footbag stitcher is trying out different types of fabrics to see what is good for footbag. If it's thin, flexible and strong to the touch, it could be good.

Footbags don't necessarily have to abide by Amara, Amaretta, Ultrasuede Light or Microsuede. Just experiment and keep us informed.

Since we're on the topic of fabrics, anyone know the type of fabric that Cuddlebags were used with? Was it literally called "Microfleece" and is it fluffy, thick and flexible fabric? I think I've found a couple of stores that stock this in NYC...
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

will_T
Multidex Master

Post by will_T » 13 Feb 2010 16:54

i have a bag from brad benson which is a standard sized 32 made of pigskin. it's actually a pretty darn good bag, it hardly moves at all upon impact so it resists rolling like nothing else i've ever encountered. i'd say try a few sable bags and see how you like them, my only recommendation would be filling them heavy (if you do a 32). for bags with fewer panels, i would imagine sable would work just fine. i know i've seen 4 and 8 panel leather or suede bags on the market before.

waylon - microfleece is a blanket (no pun intended) term for all fleeces. it's just abbreviated to plain 'fleece.' it can probably be found fairly easily. if you use it, please let us know how it works out.

Stefan
Multidex Master

Post by Stefan » 16 Feb 2010 17:36

So I purchased half a meter of the sable suede from fabricland today.

Also found out that it's 100% polyester, meaning its synthetic. Similar to microsuede I assume.

Does it look similar to the other stitching fabrics?

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 17 Feb 2010 04:29

It looks woven to me. Might not be brilliant but the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

Get stitching!
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

will_T
Multidex Master

Post by will_T » 17 Feb 2010 11:13

it does appear woven. this may not be a problem though, i know of a handful of stitchers who use microsuede, which is also woven. i'm kind of a nut about things like that though, so when i use microsuedes i seal the cut edges with clear nailpolish to prevent them from fraying, but that's probably overkill. you can do it just to be safe though.

Johnny
Post Master General

Post by Johnny » 18 Feb 2010 14:37

I definitely wouldn't buy more of that fabric if I were you. If it does end up working and you want more though, I have some that I'd be glad to give you.

I could give you some ultrasuede to try out too if were ever in the same area, I dont know if you kick with anyone regularly do you?
Johnny Suderman

RobZ
Circle Kicker

Post by RobZ » 18 Feb 2010 17:01

Yeah im almost done with the sable suede its working ok but i imagine ultrasuede is better quality. But me and stefan both shred so sometime will have to meet up or something.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 22 Feb 2010 11:14

Looks like one side of the fabric is carpeted material, so I assume that would work well for footbag. Flexible sealant like nail polish could work against fraying, but I generally don't use it if the material can hold its own (like most microsuedes).

Depending on how thick and flexible it is, using a larger template or loosening up your sewing technique would make a world of difference on its performance.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87