Frank Sinatra Lives

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 31 Mar 2010 13:40

Hey Steven, thanks for the kind words. I definitely have been pleased with my progress, but NYJ, well, it wasn't a great representation of my game. I think I played up to my potential for about one hour out of the whole jam. Sorry to be the "thanks but I suck" guy...

Haven't posted lately, haven't been kicking quite as much. Nine freestyle sessions & two squares sessions. Been kicking with people again, which takes some re-adjustment.

The biggest difference between playing solo & playing with people is, when I drop while playing with other people, there are consequences. Warming up is a little different too, because I have to let other people participate :lol: and I'm often tempted to try to bust out bigger tricks than I should before I'm warmed up. And of course there's that sense that I'm being evaluated & have to step it up or something, which I resent. I'm a resentful motherfucker.

Also, playing outside has taken some adjustment. The wind is really kicking my ass.

Squares has been fun. But freestyle is definitely where my heart is.

Anyway here are my highlights for the past couple of weeks:
:arrow: osis> ducking legover
:arrow: zulu clipper (first time)
:arrow: zulu osis (first time)
:arrow: dyno> diving clipper
:arrow: around 30 bops, also 23 & 24 contact easy guiltless drill strings
:arrow: spinning clip bs w/Tom watching
:arrow: pixie ss clipper> ducking clipper> pdx mirage> rpt> 50 clippers
:arrow: run w/terrage & ducking clipper bsos, drifter & dyno in the seal, filled out with BOPs
:arrow: kicked with Cale

I patched up my Cale big & played out of the wind today, it was very nice. Had some hackers join me, they asked if I wanted to play "numbers" and I don't know what that is, but I figured it'd be lame, so I said no. But I hacked with them for about fifteen minutes. One filmed with his camera. Meh. But I had some decent strings. Also tweaked my left ankle very slightly, I felt it on clipper tricks for the rest of the day but I think I'll be ok tomorrow. Need to get a new pair of lavers stat.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 31 Mar 2010 21:21

Frank_Sinatra wrote: :arrow: spinning clip bs w/Tom watching
yah that's the deddy

also props on osis mastery. I remember when it wasn't your bitch.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 10 Apr 2010 20:49

Thanks Tom. But now that its my bitch, I keep coveting new bitches. I see spinning clipper and think "oh, you'll belong to me... in time."

So let's see I've been playing off and on in April, still trying to maintain a good balance between school & all the other things I need to do. I've had six sessions since my last post, some felt really really solid. Lots of long tiltless & bop strings. I had one day where almost every string was over 20 contacts, not like it was difficult stuff, but it felt great. Hard to live up to though. Endurance is getting better, but I'm relying too much on the same old drills. Today I think I did a better job of getting out of the pattern. And I've kicked with Tom a few times, and Grant came up to the 60618 to kick it one time. Highlights:

:arrow: 50 clippers again
:arrow: terrage x5 (personal best - old was 4)
:arrow: 40 contacts of butter> infinity> osis> pdx mirage> rpt
:arrow: maverick> crispy torque
:arrow: 35 guiltless with pixie muted clipper, symp mirage, and ducking clipper bsos (all rest were bops)
:arrow: diving clipper x7
:arrow: smear, PLO, terrage, and symp mirage all BSOS to start a run
:arrow: diving clipper & ducking clipper out of osis bsos

And today again I remember having good strings, with mostly BOPs & some BSOS pixie stuff, working the ducking & diving in, and throwing in some slightly harder stuff out of osis. Had a whirling rake out of nowhere. Could throw more whirls & drifters I think. Getting closer to some 5 add stepping tricks.

Wine & cheese is looking less & less likely. I've got a presentation of my final project (a research paper) in one class on the Monday after the event. All the cool kids are going though...

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 11 Apr 2010 15:30

Well... not all of them, if you don't make it.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 26 Apr 2010 19:23

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Well it has been a while since I've posted. Been kicking in spurts here & there - ten sessions I think. I kicked like six days in a row, then took a five day break, then three days in a row, two day break, and kicked today. Some of the sessions were short. I haven't been kicking with anybody, just having impromptu sessions when the time is right. I've really been focusing on school, and a couple other new priorities.

Generally, my sessions are lots of tiltless & bop drills, then after about 45 minutes of that I work on specific tricks & adding them into runs. Spinning hasn't been attempted lately, but I've got new lavers so I can start destroying them soon. Getting to 50-60 contacts of clippers & osii, 30-40 tiltless, or 20-30 BOPs is the high end of what I can do on a regular basis. Add in ducking clippers, pixie clippers, symp mirage, drifters, whirls, an occasional terrage or dlo or smear or plo, and that's pretty much my whole game. I'm not complaining. I don't really care if I ever get much beyond this point. If I had to limit myself to osis, ducking clipper, and drifter, I'd still have fun.

Been working toe drifters a lot, dynos a little, not as much stepping or diving lately. Still a little bit of stepping/diving each session, just not enough to lock it down. Tried working on toe whirls, but whatever technique I'm currently using is not gonna work, because its painful as hell. Oh well, maybe I won't have any kind of pdx whirl game, that's fine.

Also had a session with lots of emphasis on pixie & toe-to-toe, since those have been lacking in my runs. Noticed that flip pixie has some inadequacies.

This blog used to be funnier.

Mediumlights:

:arrow: pixie muted clipper> pdx mirage> toe drifter bsos
:arrow: ripwalk bsos
:arrow: dyno bsos
:arrow: dyno> pdx illusion (new link, strong side)
:arrow: flip dyno> pdx mirage (first time playing out of flip dyno)
:arrow: smoke again, getting close on flip
:arrow: maverick> diving osis
:arrow: inside kick> inside kick> osis> rpt to 12 contacts

I've been really stressed about school this past few weeks. Had the final in a terrible class tonight. Worst class I've ever taken. Not sure what I should've expected from "intro to vague bullshit."

At least its over, well sorta over... right now I'm laying the groundwork and documentation for going to the administration about how this class was taught & how specific incidents were handled. I've never fought a grade before, even the couple of times that I thought I had a decent argument. This was just ridiculous, though.

My other class has been going great, and I am trying to be hopeful that my future classes will be like my great class, not my terrible class. Gotta have faith.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 27 Apr 2010 13:42

You can have faith...

but be careful of people in public washrooms that say, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours..."
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 12 May 2010 14:07

Deal.

Kicked some more. Six times in the last couple weeks. That isn't very much I guess, but the weather this whole last week has been crappy, and I was super sore for the week before that.

Also, I'm playing in a new pair of lavers. Its been five sessions and none of them have been good. I don't remember the last break-in going this bad or being this frustrating. One thing I have picked up on is I have a lot more traction right now than on my old shoes, so all the small pivots and hops on things like osis and drifter need to be more deliberate. The shoes feel really clunky. They still feel loose/too wide across the toe. I dropped down another half size, not sure yet how that will effect my game if at all. I'm sure I'll adjust, and my most recent session was closer to, well, not good, but competent.

Highlights:
:arrow: Gyro clipper BS (new)
:arrow: pixie muted clipper> ducking osis> pdx mirage> rpt
:arrow: pixie ss clipper> ripwalk BS (not new)
:arrow: run with stepping ss clipper BSOS & osis> whirl BSOS
:arrow: pixie muted clipper> pdx illusion> symp mirage> rpt

Gyro clipper feels way too easy to be a real trick. Although sometimes it does look really cool. But when I did it I was just like "that's it? Really?" It seems like an osis that you start too fast & then wait for, like the "spin" supposedly in the trick isn't very distinct.

All but that last highlight are from the session in my old lavers.

Been trying torques, truly downtime torques. I was also trying more ducking & diving osii, but I think I'm gonna go back to basics until these damn shoes feel playable.

Well this isn't a very upbeat post. Need to play... maybe I'll use my indoor spot until the weather improves.

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 12 May 2010 21:46

Gyro clipper BS (new)
!!!!!!!!!

"while frank sinatra sings stormy weather, the flies and spiders get along together"

really enjoy reading your blog. your sessions sound like they are really improving... and your spirits do too. see you soon.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 17 May 2010 12:54

Hey Holly, I mostly agree with that, but the last few weeks have actually been really discouraging.

I did something to my left leg & ankle. I've had some pain on the outside of my left ankle for a few sessions but I didn't really pay attention to it. I have been spending my downtime (like when I'm just sitting around) cranking my ankle as far as I can, and holding it as long as I can, and sometimes that has been painful. So I figured if I stopped doing that for a while the pain in my ankle would go away.

The last time I tried to play I had a really intense pain in the muscle right above the ankle, and also a feeling of numbness. So I don't know what happened but it hurts too much to play. Let me tell you its fucking scary when your leg goes numb while playing footbag.

On top of that, I've been frustrated when I have been able to play, mostly because I'm having lots of roll-offs on osii & infinities. But I do have my new lavers laced much better - the toe box is more open I can flop the bag right into the sweet spot (I am a fan of the soft pack) & the fit throughout the toe area isn't as loose. Thinking about maybe improving the insoles & trimming the laces again & then they'll be all modded up.

Some highlights from the three sessions I've had since the last post:
:arrow: osis> blurry pickup
:arrow: osis> ps mirage bsos
:arrow: 47 tiltless

Anyway, I'm gonna ice the ankle & leg & do ankle exercises every day. Not sure when I'll try to play again, if I treat this like a minor sprain I should at least take the rest of May off & try to get healthy for June.

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 17 May 2010 19:56

Sorry to hear about the pain. the numbness sucks. Does it happen on certain tricks or constantly through the session? I get a numbness in my left leg from my knee down when i go for ducking legover on my left side. Some nerves get pinched for some reason, and it has been happening for years (mainly occurs after I haven't played for a while). If your numbness and pain only occurs during certain tricks I would suggest adapting you game and not taking a break, if it happens all the time don't stop playing but take it really easy. Sometimes the worst thing we can do is stop entirely. The body is meant to be in motion. Holding your foot cranked when your sitting is probably the reason you are getting the pain. A stretch shouldn't last for a long time otherwise you run the risk of straining yourself. Before you play keep your stretches down to under ten seconds and after you play no more than 30s. Especially before you play do a nice easy warm up until you have broken a good sweat. Never Stretch very hard cold. Hopefully what you have is nothing serious and you can keep playing. See you in a month or so.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 25 May 2010 17:49

I really only logged in to change my blog title. :lol: And really Holly should be getting the royalties, not me. Anyway, since I'm here...

I took Reid's suggestion & played a few times & my ankle doesn't feel as bad. No numbness, the muscle above the ankle seems fine, but I still have some pain just below the ankle and in the foot. I've been icing a couple times a day & doing ankle exercises. It hurts to fully crank my ankle into place, so when I play I'm having a lot of roll-offs. Nevertheless, I had a couple highlights:

:arrow: pixie ss clipper> pdx illusion> terrage> rpt> run
:arrow: pixie ss clipper> ripwalk bsos
:arrow: illusion, ss illusion, bubba & pdx illusion out of both clipper & osis bsos

Other than that I've just been drilling, mostly tiltless stuff, when I have played. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get back to where I was a few weeks ago. Kinda wish I could get a do-over on the month of May.

Umm... yep.

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 25 May 2010 19:38

who WOULDNT buy a griptits shirt
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 31 May 2010 19:02

That's a good point. I think soon I will be sitting on top of an empire of titgripping. God such blatant thievery.

So I think I kicked four times since the last update. At least three. I know I had a nothing solo session last week, and then a better session, but I didn't take any notes on those so whatever.

Had a session with Tom - almost two sessions with intermission. I felt bad at first when I forced us to leave IP for somewhere a little less obnoxious. But then at the second spot I played so much better and stopped feeling bad. Hope you got where you needed to get to in time homey.

Then today, after I got a pain in the ass Java project done for school earlier than expected, I had a session, and it felt really solid. I think the key to both the school work and the session was the three cups of very strong coffee. Of course it also felt great to have the weight of that project off my shoulders. Also, there was almost no wind, and it cooled off a lot compared to this past week. Flip whirl was solid again, after disappearing on me lately.

So here's some highlights:
:arrow: 50+ contact clipper & osis string
:arrow: gyro mirage BS
:arrow: pixie muted clipper> whirl> pdx illusion rpt
:arrow: first six contacts of pixie ss clipper> whirl> drifter> pdx illusion> rpt
:arrow: whirl> ripwalk (first time stepping out of whirl)
:arrow: footed osis> pdx whirl on each side & felt no pain attempting pdx whirl
:arrow: good looks at pdx dlo

Yes I am giving myself props for almost hitting tricks.

This weekend marks three years of repping the 60618.

Been thinking about putting a routine together. Obviously there is a talent show. But whenever I get to like 40-50 tiltless I am spent. I'd bet against the routine actually happening, since my schedule has been so unpredictable and so overstuffed with obligations. I might actually have a day off tomorrow, which would be a welcome change of pace.

Once I get through this quarter I'll have a week off, then back to it until Christmas. No idea how that will effect my participation in NYJ but I already decided I don't want any part of "planning" or "organizing" or "running" that event. Well now I'm just rambling.
Last edited by Frank_Sinatra on 27 Jun 2010 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 31 May 2010 21:33

i don't even know what a griptits shirt is, but since it describes alot of my freetime, i want one!
Link!
A.G.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 02 Jun 2010 09:36

http://www.zazzle.com/inner_circle_cust ... 8079701379

Gonna have a session then take a midterm. Yeow.

EDIT: The midterm went well, and I have another one in about an hour. I've been studying the last four days & I don't wanna look at it any more.

I'm glad I've got so many details in this blog. I went back a couple pages to be reminded of how I was practicing this winter & spring, so that I can hopefully regain the progress I was making. And seeing that in at least a couple small ways I've made some progress since then was encouraging.

Played five times, and I don't think I have any highlights except for 61 tiltless.

The real update is my left leg/ankle acted up again in two of those sessions. Its my achilles tendon. When it hurts, every trick hurts. I don't know precisely what's wrong but I'm gonna do the standard stuff - rest, ice, compression - as well as wearing an ankle brace when I sleep (keeps the foot from dropping) & doing 20 minute bike rides each day. Maybe try to play again this weekend.

So yesterday I was playing solo and stopping after every string due to pain, to try to stretch & massage the pain away. And this little kid was like "I wanna see you practice" while punching his fist into his palm. I said "well I can't, my ankle hurts" and he said "apply pressure." I said "I am" and he said "more pressure!" while once again punching his fist into his palm. Goddamn. Everybody's a doctor.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 27 Jun 2010 10:44

I've been a weekend warrior since the last post. My left leg/ankle is still fucked up, but maybe less fucked up than a month ago.

Ehhhh shit didn't mean to submit this. Gotta run. Maybe I'll edit this later. Just wanted to say it was fun kicking with a bunch of people that I got to kick with in the last couple weeks - a circle with James & Henry was titsola on a platter. Also hit crossbody heel again. Bye bye.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 27 Jun 2010 17:09

Frank_Sinatra wrote: So yesterday I was playing solo and stopping after every string due to pain, to try to stretch & massage the pain away. And this little kid was like "I wanna see you practice" while punching his fist into his palm. I said "well I can't, my ankle hurts" and he said "apply pressure." I said "I am" and he said "more pressure!" while once again punching his fist into his palm. Goddamn. Everybody's a doctor.
that gave me a guilty laugh.

hope it feels better soon.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 04 Jul 2010 10:29

Thanks Zac. Both legs are feeling much better.

Just a quick update before I head out. I've played five times since the last update, I think. Nothing new, but I had some good runs every once in a while. 4 or 5 contacts bopless here & there. DATW & Terrage BSOS isn't new but still feels good.

Only one of the recent sessions was solo, and that was just a short study break. Its good to come back from injury & play with people right away. I think it helps keep my runs & links from being so repetitive. Consistency & control have been back on track even without the solo sessions that I rely on.

What I really want to say is ever since the start of May I've been severely limited (either in the time I could play or by an injury when I found the time) - it was just one thing after another. And I'm reminded how quickly the fire in my belly goes out to play regularly. I don't miss the frustration.

But I'm also reminded that I'm not happy when I just sit around on my ass every day. I've gotten about as good as I ever thought I could get at this - which isn't much compared to so many other players. I think it would be very easy to plateau here and not worry about it.

Also, I'm gonna be 28 in 9 days, and that just feels fucking ancient compared to a lot of y'all. Of course by Chicago standards I'm pretty much at the median age of freestylers. :lol:

But pulling me back from that mentality... blurry whirl, blurriest, and double switch/reaper are now on the "possible" list, and it feels good to be chasing some new moves again. And I do still want to add more concepts to my game. I think the next time I play solo I should just warm up, skip the bop drills, and get right to stepping & spinning practice. I may not add a lot of new tricks to my game at this point, or at least not very quickly, but there are still tricks that I think I'll enjoy doing, if I can learn them.

I guess I'm just using a lot more words than necessary to say its time to figure out some appropriate goals for where I'm at.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 11 Jul 2010 19:46

I hit my first ever strings of moves at 28, It was just before worlds 09 and me and Zeke figured out what tiltless and guiltless meant 8O You have plenty of time to have fun playing footbag Nathan. Im still learning myself.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 16 Jul 2010 20:15

Thanks for being encouraging Jon.

So I've kicked like 13 times since the last post. Both legs were feeling good for the most part, had some good sessions and some not so good sessions. The last couple sessions my ankle has been feeling bad again. It started with a feeling of weakness, then eventually became painful when I cranked. I don't know, I can sit here and guess at what is going on but my guesses don't mean anything. Icing right now.

I've been practicing whirls at Reid's suggestion. Thanks to his pointers I've been able to work toe whirl technique that doesn't hurt my right hip, so that's good. Regularly working on spinning & stepping again, and more ducking drills.

I'm in that place where enough concepts are good enough that I can incorporate them into my runs, but then my runs are typically really short, which isn't much fun to be totally honest. Also gotta get some new bags because all the ones I have right now are patched & repatched & still get new holes every time I play. I'm just gonna add that its also really hot outside, since I'm venting. Anyway.

Highlights:
:arrow: toe whirl> far illusion> rpt
:arrow: flip stepping ss rake (new)
:arrow: swerve> pixie muted clipper
:arrow: pdx whirl bs

Other than that, had some other things I've hit before but rarely or just not recently, like ripwalk bsos.

I start a new quarter on Tuesday, so far I'm doing well in school.

Lots of exciting things happening in the Chicago scene, with COCs moving here, some old faces, and some new faces. I like where things are headed.