Mycology

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Mycology

Post by Reid » 05 Nov 2009 17:47

Just curious if other people are interested in fungi as well, not necessarily hallucinogenic, but edibles and the science of it. If so they can post their recent finds here and photos if they wish. Or if they are cultivating they can post their tips.

Finds of the Day

Galerina marginata (deadly)

Suspected Pluteus cervinus (edible)(waiting on spore print)
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 05 Nov 2009 21:50

Grow some edible shrooms for nyj. I Dont trust eating wild found shrooms, thats crazy.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Nov 2009 23:11

Wow totally. I have very little interest in the drugs side of fungi, but have a strong interest in the science of it - both in terms of the biology, classification and also the potential technologies.

I reckon you've probably seen this, but maybe not, and other people might enjoy it too.

http://blog.ted.com/2008/05/paul_stamets.php

How are you identifying your fungi? I've really struggled to find any good field guides - although part of the problem is living on an island, which means there's a highish level of endemicism - although it's only 10,000 years or so since we were joined to the rest of Australia, so big national field guides are generally not too bad.

It's starting to get just a little too late for most fungi here now (since we're approaching summer), although there are some good rainforests near to where I live, so there is still a lot there. If I remember I'll post up my photos with identifications - both past photos and ones I see in the future.

Oh, Phil Morrison has some interest in this subject as well - I think he's a fan of that ted talk I posted.

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 08 Nov 2009 21:11

I mainly use Mushrooms demystified by David Arora.

Recently Greg Mueller and Joe McFarland published a book on the edibles of Illinois which I keep on hand as well.

Please do post some picks.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Nov 2009 23:55

Ok here are three from a walk I did last summer around Lake St. Claire (I guess around the middle of Tasmania). I'm probably wrong about my identifications - they're based on website that says it's not completely sure either and from a different part of Tasmania. I'm especially unsure about the second two :P

Aurantiporus pulcherriums

Fomes hemitephrus

Omphalina chromacea

Dave Soderberg
Hack Fiend

Post by Dave Soderberg » 09 Nov 2009 19:59

Last spring I got into hunting and identifying mushrooms. I have never tried eating what I have identified just in case it was poisonous. It's always fun walking through the woods and looking for mushrooms though. It's like a never ending scavenger hunt.

P.S. That guy from the video is a smart as hell. Thanks for the vid it got me thinking.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Dec 2009 21:33

Some more fungi photos :) Haven't tried to identify any of them yet, my internet is capped so I'll either do it some time after 2am or next internet month :P

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 09 Dec 2009 12:46

Nice post Jeremy. It's interesting to see many representatives from different regions. Those orange ones might be Galerinas.

Do you know of any lactarius species around where you're at?

Reid Strellner

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 Dec 2009 16:27

Thanks :) I thought the orange ones were probably Mycena but I'm not sure.

There are definitely places that sell Lactarius in food but I don't know if they're imported or not. I think it's probably pretty likely that there are some here but they're probably introduced. They are not common in food though. I don't know if now would be a good time to find any though, as it's early summer. All those last photos were taken in a nearby temperate rainforest on the side of a mountain very close to a stream.

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 11 Dec 2009 08:59

Take a spore print

Reid Strellner

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Dec 2009 22:41

Yeah if I go back maybe I will but I took those on a three hour walk up a mountain so it's a little bit of a trek to go back just to get a spore print :P

edit; and I'm lazy.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Jul 2010 23:47

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 09 Jul 2010 14:34

Whoah! This is an awesome thread. That last one looks wicked.

I can't identify my mushrooms :oops:

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Jul 2010 01:48

Yeah it's very difficult. The last one is probably Geastrum triplex, although the one in my book has 7 points to the star, so it might be a closely related species. Looks identical apart from that though.

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 11 Jul 2010 19:20

Awesome pics Jeremy. You didn't by chance key out the 3rd from the bottom? Lactarius?

The eighth from the top looks like something in the boletinellus. Maybe boletinellus merulioides? See If you can get some pictures of the underside on some of the polypores.

Thanks again. I really enjoyed those.

Reid Strellner

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 13 Jul 2010 01:49

I tried to identify them, but gave up. There just isn't enough information. Something like only 10% of Tasmanian fungi has been scientifically described, and my field guide is not very good. There is a better one though. I really should start taking some proper notes too.

Third from bottom - could be Lactarius, maybe even Lactarius deliciosus that is decayed a little. Doesn't particularly resemble the photos in my field guide though.

8th from top - I think this has simple gills, but I can't be sure. There aren't any Boletinellus in my field guide though, or is that an alternative spelling of Boletellus? Looks nothing like them anyway, although having just had another look, I think you might mean 8th from the bottom?

Can't get more photos unfortunately, taken during a walk at the other end of the state. I did have a lot more but I deleted them because I need the space.

Anyway this is a great topic, I should thank you for starting it. I really enjoy it. I have a couple of new ones from a recent walk to post too. I think some Mycena, but we'll see :P I don't really get to study any mycology in my degree because my majors will be plant science (which isn't called botany for some reason) and zoology for my science degree, and geography and environmental studies for my arts degree. Neither of which has much on fungi. There are a couple of units in agricultural science, and I'd love to do them (there are also some units on insects, which I'd love to do), but because I'm doing a double degree I can't choose subjects outside of my majors, except in first year.

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 14 Jul 2010 04:57

Something about fungi is just so amazing...

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 14 Jul 2010 12:47

Sorry Jeremy I did mean from the bottom.

Reid Strellner

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 16 Jul 2010 02:57

No worries, two more photos. The second one is one of my favourite photos I've taken :)

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 16 Jul 2010 12:32

Sweet pics. Is the top one bioiluminescent or was that just the way the picture was taken?

Reid Strellner