Which bag is going to last longer?

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
TylerTarris
Hack Fiend

Which bag is going to last longer?

Post by TylerTarris » 25 Dec 2010 21:18

Allright im looking at the Kanga cowhide 32 panel on this page, http://worldfootbag.com/catalog2/showgr ... y-sack-21- and the 2 panel 1981 footbag on this page http://worldfootbag.com/catalog2/showgr ... ors-corner with no break in except for finger rubbing/rolling to stretch the stitching and set it for about 5 min, and extended use of 3-6 hours a day every day, which of the two would last longer. I know what im getting into on these bags, and I have my own normal freestyle bags, I just really want one of these two to replicate the old school feel. Which of these two would last the absolute longest?

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 25 Dec 2010 23:10

all i know is i had some pigskin suede that popped right open, and looked the same green color as the pic in the first one. so i would say option 2 would last longer. simply based on experience with fabrics.

i have sheepskin suede that has never busted a hole in my bags though...
it was extremely pricey however, and got it at MOOD fabric in LA.

and by extremely pricey i mean $20-30 for a little pelt, emphasis on little.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

TylerTarris
Hack Fiend

Post by TylerTarris » 26 Dec 2010 14:14

Its not the pigskin, its the cowhide, and its not suede, its leather lol

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 26 Dec 2010 14:38

oh i see, i don't have any experience with hides, just pelts of sueded leather.
so good luck!
and saying it is leather and not suede isn't really correct... i believe suede is just added to the to either pigskin, cowskin, or whatever material when it is treated. or added to the synthetic terms like micro ultra cause it is treated.
i guess hide is untreated leather??? i am not really sure about this though.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

lotus
Multidex Master

Post by lotus » 26 Dec 2010 16:48

hey tyler, i wouldn't lol at brian if i were you ... he knows as much about fabrics as pretty much anyone on these forums, and what he is saying is essentially correct, suede is leather that has a certain finish.

but yes, the cowhide would be stronger/stiffer, and longer lasting than the pigskin that brian mentioned.
wikipedia wrote:Suede is a type of leather with a napped finish. However, it can also refer to a similar napped or brushed finish on many kinds of fabrics. The term comes from the French "gants de Suède", which literally means "gloves of Sweden".

Suede leather is made from the under side of the skin, primarily lamb, although goat, pig, calf and deer are commonly used. Splits from thick hides of cow and deer are also sueded but due to the fiber nature have a shaggy nap. Because suede does not include the tough exterior skin layer, suede is less durable but softer than standard ("full-grain") leather. Its softness, thinness, and pliability make it suitable for clothing and delicate uses; suede was originally used for women's gloves. Suede leather is also popular in upholstery, shoes, bags, and other accessories, and as a lining for other leather products. Due to its textured nature and open pores, suede may become dirty and absorb liquids quickly.
i have used both these bags, and would recommend the 32 ... purely based on cost and the more consistent bounce that a 32-panel bag gives. both bags would be very durable, but you would have to wonder how time has aged the 1981 leather [i mean seriously, it is an ultra expensive collectors item ... why on earth would you pay that much for a footbag that you intend to kick? 8O :lol:]

i also sell good quality sheep leather bags made for kicking under my elemental brand, which are even cheaper still [if you want a very full one of any of my 5 models, just mention this if/when you order] ... http://www.elementalfootbags.com/html/kicking.htm.
only the movement moves
lotus
www.elementalfootbags.com

TylerTarris
Hack Fiend

Post by TylerTarris » 26 Dec 2010 17:07

I apologize for the rudeness of my above comment, first off I have a problem with putting lol at the end of everything, it wasnt at you or towards anything, and second I diddnt mean to sound as unintelligent as I did, I was in a rush to get out the door to do some real late shopping at the time. Anyways, Im now looking at the 8 panel mentioned, the Mirage cowhide, and the kanga cowhide, and also at sewing my own, of the Mirage, the 8 panel, and the kanga, what do you think would be the most durable?

will_T
Multidex Master

Post by will_T » 26 Dec 2010 20:52

just to add since it seems relevant, leather with the shiny side out is commonly just called 'leather.' nearly all leathers are shaved (or maybe all, can't remember) and this shaving is what produces the suede side. nothing is added, save for some treatment chemicals to preserve the hide.

there are hundreds of types of leather, different thicknesses, qualities, etc., but i would say that any leather or real suede bag would have sufficient durability, it would just be stiffer.

just curious, are you actually considering buying a 1981 hack still in the box for over 200 bucks and actually playing with it?

(source: worked 4 years in a custom auto upholstery shop doing benz interiors, german upholstery leather is EXPENSIVE!)

EDIT: forgot to mention that sometimes the shaves are sold as suede without the skin, but it was mentioned above. ultra-thin suede leather can be found at your local arts and crafts shops, it what i used on my first couple bags before i ordered USL, used it suede side out

TylerTarris
Hack Fiend

Post by TylerTarris » 26 Dec 2010 22:37

Well im about to order, and im specifically looking at the kanga cowhide 32 panel, and the Mirage cowhide 14 panel. Both look fantastic and well built and I was wondering if anybody could point out which one would be more durable. Im looking more towards the mirage due to the cheaper price, however I will buy the kanga if it is better. Please post quick :D

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 26 Dec 2010 23:03

the 1981 bag is a collectible?

your gonna kick $210 dollars around?

TylerTarris
Hack Fiend

Post by TylerTarris » 26 Dec 2010 23:07

Not anymore, im looking at buying either the Mirage cowhide, http://worldfootbag.com/catalog2/showgr ... sack-11-20 20th down on that page, or the kanga cowhide http://worldfootbag.com/catalog2/showgr ... y-sack-21- 14th down on that page and im asking which one is going to be more durable.

lotus
Multidex Master

Post by lotus » 27 Dec 2010 00:08

kanga 32-panel ... more panels = smaller panels = less wear on the centre of the panels [where holes form over time].

i own a kanga 32 [yes, a cowhide one] from many years ago and it was/is a fantastic kicking bag, durable, and very well stitched [by canadian footbag legends i believe].

the mirage actually looks as cheap as its price suggests!
only the movement moves
lotus
www.elementalfootbags.com