Shred Global Event 2 : The LUNS ($50/$500) deadline 1-2-11

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 01 Jan 2011 20:20

there has been a slight issue getting the video ready, it will be sent in shortly.
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 01 Jan 2011 20:40

2 hours left to send it in ...

A couple of people I am expecting / hoping to get submissions from !

Send em in send em in send em in ;)

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 01 Jan 2011 21:55

my legs havent been cooperating lately, but i have a decent backup filmed :)
excited to see what people came up with!!!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Jan 2011 11:58

I can't wait to see either, I'm too anxious. Never seen a footbag video with only unusual surfaces. It's gonna be so sick. Any idea of when the video will be released, Dale?
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 02 Jan 2011 16:58

I'm editing all the video, sending it out to the judges, and then once I get the scores will rework the video... Eta for arrival 3 days

In the meantime, event 3 should be unveiled tomorrow!
Good luck everyone !!!!

h4x354x0r
Shredalicious

Post by h4x354x0r » 02 Jan 2011 18:08

Pasquar wrote:I wasn't aware that was the point of footbag :roll:
It isn't... unless it is. :wink: Competitions are most certainly different, but, they are most certainly reality, too. They are THE promotional vehicle we use for footbag today. This Shred Global online comp series may not be a "live" competition scored in real-time in front of a panel of judges, but it is still a competition. As such I pay as much attention to the setup and closure of the whole submission, as I do the actual contacts. Problem is, I don't have the technical skills to place. At only 3 adds, I'll be at or near last place on this one. The winner will be at least 6 adds.

I spent a lot of years competing in freestyle. Unless you've done it, gotten up in front of a panel of almost 30 judges, while they hold their pencils and stare you down with poker faces, it's hard to explain exactly why or how it's different. There's an incredible amount of judgement that goes on in shred circles, too. It's informal, but the competition is still real. Even with that, stepping inside a freestyle arena to be judged on a solo 2-minute performance is still... different.

Keep in mind I pulled that stunt during the height of the ultra-conservative early 90's "Trying to get it into the Olympics" era. It was 3 years of almost nothing new being introduced at worlds-level competition (just before BAP was born as a counter-movement). It was 100% about looking squeaky clean, no drops, nothing crazy, lots of cookie-cutter stuff. Not wearing a shirt got you disqualified. I was an anti-authoritarian prick back then, too. My dick-bounce move was a not-so-subtle "f**k you prudes" act.

Today, I come on here with not-so-cutting-edge moves and "choreography" blather. If you squint your eyes just right, I look a lot like the next footbag generation's equivalent of Blaugh. You know it's true. :o Things may change, but somehow they stay the same, too.

I can hardly wait until the next comp. Just worried that it will have something to do with fliers, because I've got no good place to film them.

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 02 Jan 2011 20:07

Mr. Fogle, as a living legend, you are allowed to do whatever you like in the name of footbag, and we shall all applaud you for it ;)

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 04 Jan 2011 21:14

The videos are in the hands of the judges...!

Final video to be released when I have recieved the scores!

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 08 Jan 2011 21:17

Video is uploading...
Sorry it sucks as I had to edit it ;)
Check out the shredglobal youtube for a sneak peak before its announced

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Jan 2011 11:20

First online competition I've entered and I came in eighth! This is definitely a sweet highlight of my life! My Dad came in last, we were kinda bummed about that. But, great videos everyone!

Quick Questions/Comments:

:arrow: For Dave's submission, what is his second unusual surface? Because it looks like a toe stall, but I could very well be mistaken. It might be an inside, but I can't tell.

:arrow: And who does the atomic ducking knee stall> whirling heel? Same with Pixie Ducking Squeeze> Outiside? I wish the submissions had names on them like BSOS 3, because I'd love to know who a few of these players are.

:arrow: 5 Favorites (favorite to least favorite): Honza, My Dad (just because it's my Dad playing footbag in his boxers :P), Nick L., Anssi, Chris
Nick Polini

Funblog

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 09 Jan 2011 11:28

it is a toe stall lol he did not read the rules fully.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Jan 2011 11:37

That's screwy. Shouldn't that be a disqualification? And Brian, I really like your's but I thought it should be placed higher. John's wasn't too technical and he placed ahead of you. I liked both of them, but your's was definitely harder, in my opinion.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Fade2black
Multidex Master

Post by Fade2black » 09 Jan 2011 12:10

Hey guys...

The official results will be posted this week with their names (after people have had a chance to see the video)

In regard to Mr. Clavens entry...

This was entirely my fault... as the rules were never updated on the Shred Global web page describing the rules.... so the rules on the web page were stated like this

2) The link (2-tricks) must be started from a drop (with warmups kicks allowed prior to the first trick in the link) and finished on the stall of the second trick (No Hand catch is needed on this one)
3) The original set can be from anywhere you want, but the first catch cannot be done to a toe stall, a clipper stall, or an Osis position. Anywhere else is legal. (EX: a legal combo would be clipper -> stepping Heel -> ducking outside)

Since I did not specify in the official rules (and only in the modified thread) I cannot hold anyone but myself accountable for this blunder. I am truely sorry but the alternative in this instance would have been to scrap the entire event.

I feel like the judges did their job very well under the circumstances, and the rightful people finished in their rightful positions.

Thanks to Matt Cross, Milan Benda, and Mark M (Jazzkid) for their help in judging

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 09 Jan 2011 12:50

Fade2black wrote:
In regard to Mr. Clavens entry...

This was entirely my fault... as the rules were never updated on the Shred Global web page describing the rules....
Ah, that makes sense then. Best to go with the rules on the website. I feel the judging was fair then.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 Jan 2011 15:51

Sorry it's a little hard to see, but is the winning combo fairy inside stall> fairy butterfly dragon stall?

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 09 Jan 2011 17:00

It's an outside stall in an inside stall positioning.. "doof" I think.

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 09 Jan 2011 17:14

yeah, like a dragon but not in crossbody position
chris dean

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Jan 2011 17:39

Ok, that makes sense. I guess Dave just accidentally found a way to beat the system :P

Anyway, awesome video, overall. I had a really great time filming my link and it was great to see what crazy, far-out links people came up with. Luis (3rd from last place kid: back> outside stall) and my Dad (Last place: Head> blind sole) were both so stoked to see their clips in the same video as some of the best shredders in the world. I was too :P I can't wait to see the final edited video, and I'm really excited for the next event to come out. Definitely will be participating in it.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 Jan 2011 18:47

cd wrote:yeah, like a dragon but not in crossbody position
I can't see this at all. Are you talking about the first trick or the second?

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Jan 2011 19:31

Yeah Jeremy, first trick is Fairy Doof, I believe.
Nick Polini

Funblog