Color Patterns [Was:"Bag styles..."]

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 25 Jul 2008 16:45

waylon. i love you.

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 25 Jul 2008 17:58

ok, so for 2 color atomic...

lets say Im making a white and red bag...

12 white pents
3 white hexs
17 red hexs

am I correct?

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 25 Jul 2008 19:24

Oops, you need 1 more white hex. It should be 16 panels of one color, 16 of the other.
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 25 Jul 2008 21:15

in 2 color atomic, thiers 3 radiations right?

zeroman13
Post Master General

Post by zeroman13 » 25 Jul 2008 21:17

Nope, there's 4
Wasabi wrote:Footbag is not materialistic; it's about challenging yourself and having fun at the same time.
Josh M.
My Website
Pm me for details about Munster Bags!

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 25 Jul 2008 21:24

thats what I thaught. Thanx a lot...

Im gona start my first atomic bag now :D

Reloaded
Circle Kicker

Post by Reloaded » 21 Sep 2008 20:31

i don't know i must be mental or somthing, i can make the soccer ball no prob. but when it's coming to the gobstoper, atomic gobstoper, radiation, claw....i don't get these. along time ago i had a program that you could color the panels and expand the bag to exactly how it goes but i'm having no luck finding this program. just got a pretty good bit of ultra suede light. i think it's just the extra colors thats confuseing me. HELP!!!!! lol

edit: i guess i just don't understand from reading it, im more of a visual taught person. i can bang out a soccer ball in a day or 2. but i can't get the color pattern right to save my life.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 22 Sep 2008 20:16

Try drawing the pattern on a real soccer ball and then as you stitch the footbag follow along on the ball to know what panel needs to go on next.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 23 Sep 2008 07:39

when making a new color pattern for the first time, find a picture of the same pattern.

Focus on ONE pent at a time, and the colors surround it. start with a pent that is very... "important" to the color scheme. ie: the "tip" of a claw, the beginning of a spiral, etc etc. Just get that first pent down. Then find out how other pents of the same color, or part of the same part of the pattern, relate to that starting pent.

for example, with radiation, if you focus on just making one of the "radiations" at a time, the pattern makes itself after that.

So, pick a good starting pent, go very slow, and focus on one at a time. if you do that, you can do any pattern.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 24 Sep 2008 09:18

Matt Cross wrote:when making a new color pattern for the first time, find a picture of the same pattern.

Focus on ONE pent at a time, and the colors surround it. start with a pent that is very... "important" to the color scheme. ie: the "tip" of a claw, the beginning of a spiral, etc etc. Just get that first pent down. Then find out how other pents of the same color, or part of the same part of the pattern, relate to that starting pent.

for example, with radiation, if you focus on just making one of the "radiations" at a time, the pattern makes itself after that.

So, pick a good starting pent, go very slow, and focus on one at a time. if you do that, you can do any pattern.
^qft. The best method I find is setting a very accurate picture of a pattern as my desktop wallpaper, and analyze/dissect the pattern from there. That's what I did with the radiation gobstopper / "Fearless 55" pattern, and it was loads of fun.

Good luck and happy stitching!
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 13 Nov 2008 09:15

imo, the easiest way to understand make a paternis tomake it in 3D

i made this "bag" (i just started to make 3D after 3 years ... which i wasnt good at all hah)

i put the colors where ever you want. when you are done with a selection,you just need to save it like that

and if you are trying a new one, just try recreate it ...

my program: 3ds max 2009 made by autodesk

demoavailable on their website (which is 930Mo tho) but cracks are available

i can even give you my file (bag.max) with my colors (moded pics from fieldsfabrics)

btw, im gonna try to made a real looking footbag .. not just a soccer ball witha lower hexes side ratio like this one
Julien Cote

Proud to be sponsored by http://www.kolosport.com

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 13 Nov 2008 13:06

That's insane Julien 8O
Sergey Pikalov

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 13 Nov 2008 13:09

Julien, the pattern for the first 3D picture that you posted is the same exact color combo and pattern I made for Ted Fritsch a year ago (Spanish Gold/Brownstone/Navajo Turquoise - 12/8 Blur)! What a coincidence. :)

I'm not good with computers, but if we meet up in person, say Montreal Spring Jam next year, we should definitely talk shop on bags and patterns. 8)
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

kidzanshin
Shredaholic

Post by kidzanshin » 13 Nov 2008 13:53

i have used the same method for testing out colours and patterns before i make a bag, but with a much simpler and completely free programme called google sketchup

(http://sketchup.google.com)

this already has a 32 panel soccer ball model in the components library and i have found some of the pre selected colours match most of my facile colours pretty well too

screenshots:

Matt Bailey

"never forget the cultivation of the mind and the body"

Flutterbags for sale and trade http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=19298 £10 / €14 / $21

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 13 Nov 2008 18:54

that is a pretty awesome looking little app.
i am gonna check it out and start making some different patterns!
thanks,
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

billyg
Hack Fiend

Post by billyg » 28 Dec 2011 05:16

Someone should post a picture of a pent-centered 5 color radiation. If no one does, I'll be able to in a few days.
Billy G.

D.
Shredalicious

Post by D. » 28 Dec 2011 06:01

That would just be a variation of the fearless 55, but don't let that stop you. It should make the colours stand out even more than usual.

billyg
Hack Fiend

Post by billyg » 28 Dec 2011 11:06

I guess radiation was the wrong term. I meant something like 1 color for 2 polar pents, and then 5 colors spiraling around them.
Billy G.

billyg
Hack Fiend

Post by billyg » 30 Dec 2011 06:29

Here's what I meant:
Billy G.