Resoling old Rod Lavers

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
isirc10
Fearless

Resoling old Rod Lavers

Post by isirc10 » 29 May 2014 16:13

Having done a few pairs successfully, would there be any interest in a video tutorial?
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

shred4life
Hack Fiend

Re: Resoling old Rod Lavers

Post by shred4life » 29 May 2014 18:13

I'm interested. :) my size it's pretty common (meaning they get grabbed up quickly) and i will probably need to re-sole them eventually
-Vince R

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 02 Jun 2014 02:38

I'd be rather interested as well. I kind of experimented with different stuff but nothing so far satisfied me fully, seeing your way may inspire me or I might even plain copy your way if it sounds legit :D
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 16 Jun 2014 16:42

I think I will make a video tutorial with the next pair of shoes that I do. Might not come out till the end of summer, but since there is a bit of interest, I will do it.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Jun 2014 20:03

Have you ever resoled other shoes? Would it be comparable? I may be interested in resoled Climas. When you buy the new sole can you choose different densities and stuff? Would love some info on that :)

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 16 Jun 2014 23:13

I recently looked into this and it appears that when buying new soles there is a wide range of what you can buy. I just ordered a 2,5mm "sportssole", but I didn't come cross something to resolve something like a runningshoe. But of course I guess you can just go and buy some sportive rubber sole and glue it under your climas.

I may check back here after I resoled my shoes :D
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 17 Jun 2014 19:17

Right now, I just get my rubber in sheets from Mcmastercarr.com. That way I know that the rubber I am buying is made to spec, I know it's composition and durometer hardness and abrasion resistance ratings so it is easy to experiment. I can also buy in varying thicknesses, and the availability of the material is always present, unlike commercially available resole kits. Material costs for a front half resole usually run about $20-$25 a pair for shoes sized US Mens 11.5 and smaller.

I have only resoled lavers and rock climbing shoes, but the method is something I learned from a friend who is a cobbler, so I assume it would work well across the board. One of the reasons I am hoping there is a good footbag shoe released in the near future is that my method requires a special contact cement that I could only find on ebay in limited quantities, and a large 4 inch wide belt sander that most people won't have access to. I certainly don't want to be doing this all too often because it isn't very economical for me to do it considering opportunity cost, but I will do it for certain people if they ask really nicely or have special circumstances where they can't get new shoes. Hence, I am going to put out a video and a list of where I get my materials in case anyone wants to try their hands at it.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

xsisbest
Shredaholic

Post by xsisbest » 22 Jun 2014 08:29

That would be fantastic! I always have to get new shoes cause I burn holes in the bottoms. I can shoe goo them several times but eventually they give out. I would love to see your process. I have 4 pairs I could resurrect if it'd not to difficult.

Totes ma goats sent from ma notes.
A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards it's achievement