Bobby G's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
bobgreen
Multidex Master

Re: Bobby G's footblog

Post by bobgreen » 30 May 2014 03:17

Sounds great, Aaron, I am also looking forward to it!

Hope you had a safe trip up.

As you suggested we can firm up details tomorrow, but I was thinking about getting over to Kevin's sometime around 11:00 and carpooling with him over to you. That should put us to Marblehead sometime before 11:30.

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 01 Jun 2014 17:30

Work has been excessively busy as of late, including an atypically high amount of travel. I’ve been a little stressed out by all of that, so the Saturday 3 person shred session with Aaron Price and Kevin Hogan couldn’t have come at a better time.

I’m stoked that Aaron was able to take some time out of his vacation and kick with Kevin and me. I know how packed vacations can be, so I am thankful that he was able to do that. We decided to meet up in Salem on Saturday around noon, which turned out to be perfect. Salem is a popular tourist spot that Aaron and his Mom wanted to see anyway, and is also very convenient from Kevin’s place. It was also sunny and about 60-65 F, so very nice shred weather as well.

When we met up we had some brief introductions and started warming up shortly thereafter. My Daughter Aubrey and Kevin’s Mom Vicki hung out, chatted, and watched for a bit, and after a while they went their own ways to check Salem out while the three of us kicked. Super-positive, fun session and I think all three of us played well and hit stuff that was new for us. Hopefully the other guys will have something to say about their shred, so I won’t give spoilers on that.

As far as my highlights, I hit a number of strings with decent length/variety, got some cool combos in shorter strings that I was pleased with (whirl BSOS, ducking clipper > pdx mirage BSOS, etc.), and started to play again with doing fliers in combos. Was playing around with gyro and spin again, and hit spinning squeeze for the first time ever. My session ender was a string that had regular squeeze both sides, ducking squeeze, and was so, so close again to spinning squeeze.

Just as we were starting to tire out and fade, the ladies returned at nearly the same time. There was a lunch place right across the street that had been recommended to Aaron, so the 5 of us continued over there for grub and beverages. Food was good, and I think we all enjoyed the conversation with one another too. Turns out Kevin and Aaron both do graphic design, so it was really fun to be an observer and watch them discuss their craft.

I really had meant to get a group photo to commemorate the occasion, but two margaritas in after shred I simply forgot. The only photo I managed to get is the one below. I’ve always thought these lights were somewhat breast shaped, and this is the first time I had seen one mounted on a wall instead of the ceiling. The adolescent inside of me couldn’t help snap a photo.

Ended up having a quick solo session at home today. Certainly not as epic as yesterday, but was able to bang out a lot of good drills.

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 02 Jun 2014 17:41

I’m traveling for work again at the moment which means I have a little evening free time on my hands. For better or worse, here is another footbag flashback.

Portland 1997 - Summer of Footbag Number Two and How I Ended Up Hanging at Worlds

As I described earlier, I got into hack in the summer of 1996 with a group of friends I made in Portland. At the conclusion of that summer, I went back to North Idaho and continued on with my college life and my circle of friends there. Quick Aside: If you are ever in the panhandle of Idaho and refer to it as Northern Idaho, you will immediately be recognized as an outsider. For some reason, the locals refer to the north as North Idaho and the south as Southern Idaho. Anyway, even though I was stoked to show off my new skills with toe stalls and inside stalls, most folks there weren’t too into it and my footbag activities basically dwindled off by fall time. Skooling would have been a foreign concept to me then as hack was purely a fun, social activity for me.

So, I went about my life and footbag faded once again until I returned to Portland the next summer. Immediately upon returning to town, I hooked up with my footbag buds Kerstin and Jane and started playing regularly again. They turned me onto this magical shoe that they had become aware of called the Rod Laver, and told me what store I could go to across town to pick up a pair. That helped my game out almost immediately, with the exception of one trick which I suppose is like a pendulous that I previously would execute with a bag catch right on the outside of my foot where the toe box is. Up until this time, we had mostly been playing with dirtbags, but somewhere along the line I found the footbag pictured below. I’m pretty sure I got it somewhere at Saturday Market, which if you’ve never been to Portland is a pretty cool thing to check out. It was a pretty decent bag.

Toward the end of the summer my Uncle told me that he had read in the paper that the World Footbag Championships were coming to Portland.

WHAT? THERE IS A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS FOR HACK?

I was definitely intrigued, and planned on checking it out if I could figure it out with my work schedule. Before I had the chance to make it to the event, I was back to my normal kicking spot, Pioneer Square (ahem, Pioneer Courthouse Square). This time, however, there were a few folks I didn’t recognize. These three dudes were there from BC, and they were doing crazy tricks and said that they were in town for the world championships. The dudes in question were these guys named Allan, Jeremy, and Jubal. I feel bad that I don’t know too much about Jeremy Kumbrugh, but I also saw him at 2000 Worlds and he was a pretty good shredder. I only met Jubal Hume one other time as well (also 2000 Worlds), and the recent discussion on the forum about zoid sets and rooted tricks made me think of him. He is the first person I saw doing that stuff, and I think he also held the record at one time for back to back paradox torques.

Who is this other guy Allan? Well, he is everyone’s favorite moderator, the glue that holds modified together, and the guy who sold me the footbag pictured below just prior to the 1997 World Footbag Championships.

I don’t recall the exact pricing, but I do remember that I was given like $5.00 off in exchange for giving these guys a ride up to North Portland. I’m extremely curious whether Allan remembers meeting me and selling me this footbag as it was a pretty random encounter many years ago and I was in no way part of the footbag community yet.

So after meeting the BC crew, I did manage to make it to a couple of the actual Worlds events as a spectator. There were some net matches that I went to watch one day, and there was a little bit of freestyle sideline shred going on as well. I briefly met and kicked with Mel Schneider, which was probably the only time I got the courage to kick with any of the Worlds attendees. What ever happened to her by the way? After that, the event I really remember watching was at a random gym where freestyle preliminary rounds were taking place. I was too shy to introduce myself to anyone, but I remember seeing many folks that I ended up meeting later on. I don’t honestly remember the details, but it must be the Boys and Girls Gym that Red mentioned the bsos.it Oldterview that Asmus recently posted.

I didn’t see any of the finals action…I can’t recall whether work got in the way or if I had to head back to Idaho in preparation for the school year. When I left Portland that summer, I moved to Pocatello, which is in southeastern Idaho. I was pretty amped about footbag, and ended up discovering footbag.org. From there, I looked through the club listings and found my first footbag mentor, Steve Howland, who lived in Idaho Falls about 50 miles north of where I was. Though I had already witnessed real freestyle, Steve was the first person at a high level to really coach me via practice sessions, borrowed videos, etc. This has already been a long enough post, so that I suppose is a story for another day.
Last edited by bobgreen on 09 Jun 2014 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 04 Jun 2014 09:45

it was awesome to meet you and kevin! had a blast and agree that we all had pretty good sessions that day! i had another good session in marblehead yesterday morning before i left. i'll be posting on my blog about the trip and the sessions soon. need to process some photos first (cause i would like to post some of the shots of you and kev in my blog). stay tuned!
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 09 Jun 2014 18:28

I'm out of town again for work right now, which I think makes 6 consecutive weeks that I've traveled for work. I realize there are road warriors out there in sales and other fields that travel this amount routinely, but this is quite a bit for me and very atypical.

Last week I got home about 1-2 am Wednesday night or Thursday morning depending on how you look at it. Went in a little late for work so that I could have breakfast with my family after not seeing them for the early part of the week. Kevin contacted me out of the blue that afternoon while I was at work to ask if I wanted to have a Thursday night session and offered to come over to my place for it. I called my wife to see if she was okay with me playing footbag my first night back in a few days instead of hanging out with the family, and she was totally cool about it. So Kevin came by and we had a rip-roaring good time of a Thursday night session.

I had been gone so much from home, that I made already made arrangements to take Friday off from work. As part of my move for father of the year, we pulled my son Ruari out of school for the day and went to the New England Aquarium. I mean, what good is all of that fancy book-learnin' anyway? The aquarium was totally awesome and we had a great time. There were all kinds of amazing things to check out, but I especially enjoyed the various types of jelly fish. They also had some cool exhibits where you could touch various fish, and Ruari got really into that. A totally fantastic day out with my family. As an aside, any Uncluded fans out there might appreciate the following photo:

Image.

At the end of the day when we got home there was a little daylight left. The weather was nice, so I capped off the day with a short footbag session.

Kevin and I had plans to play again on Sunday, so after playing Thursday and Friday my plan was to take Saturday off to rest up a little bit. Well, Saturday rolled around and after some daytime activities with the family I came home and the weather was just too damn nice not to play. Saturday solo-shred was pretty good and I was able to break a few different personal consecutive records and even hit flip tap which was a first since coming back to footbag.

When I woke up Sunday my left ankle was pretty sore. Took it easy on it all day in anticipation of the Sunday shred session that Kevin and I had planned. Kevin came by around 6pm, and we played for close to 2 hours. For most of the session I felt great, but I ended up stopping a bit earlier than him because my foot finally started to hurt a bit. Overall it was a really fun session, and afterwards we went to a cool bar near my place that has an excellent beer selection and pretty decent food. We grabbed a couple brews and some appetizers to split, and then back to my house to watch a little old school footbag video.

After Kevin took off, I packed a suitcase for today's trip so I could get off to the airport for a 5:50 am flight. When I got up today, my ankle seriously fucking hurt, so I got to gimp through security. It has gotten a bit better throughout the day and I am not limping around quite as much, but it is definitely a bit swollen and I'll give it a few days off to let it rest up a bit.

I haven't been doing anything particularly high impact and I'm a lot more slim than I was when I played footbag before, so I guess I just have to chalk this up to getting older? I'm not yet 40, but maybe my ankle is just shitty now? Seems Louis CK is a subject matter expert on this topic....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzEhoyXpqzQ

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 10 Jun 2014 04:57

yea, it sucks getting old! that louis ck video is ME! when i started drilling inside stalls in the spring, my knee started hurting. i thought i seriously fucked it up... i mean, i'm 42 years old. so i went to the orthopedic doctor and they did an x-ray and told me that i had jumpers knee (patellar tendonitis). ok, what do i do to get rid of it. you need to stretch everyday. so that' my routine every morning is to stretch for 30 minutes just so i can footbag. if i don't stretch, my knee will start killing me. they said i could take a month off from footbag and it would prob go away. yea right! take a month off... i don't fucking think so. i'll just stretch, wear my chopat and continue to kick. :D

hope your ankle gets better...
Aaron Price

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 10 Jun 2014 06:05

What's your job? Do you ever travel to Denver? If so, you should hit me up.

Hope the ankle recovers well.

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 10 Jun 2014 16:37

Hey Ken, I will definitely hit you up if I end up that way. We are planning to move to California this summer (contingent on the sale of our house) and I’d like to road trip out if we do. My Dad lives in Rock Springs, WY and we would stop there on the way out if we road trip so a stop in Denver along the way might work out well. I saw you posted something about going to Golden a while back, and thought about asking whether you had been to Golden City Brewery. Strange little place, but pretty cool.

Since you asked what I do, please permit me to geek out for a moment (incidentally, I know you work for the gov't, but I don't know doing what...would love to hear more). My education is in chemistry and I am a fan of Breaking Bad, so Hogan has decided that must make me a meth scientist. 8)

When most people think of chemists, I imagine they think of people with flasks and beakers in the laboratory creating new materials. Alas, I don’t have any actual synthesis skills like I gather Cass must have. My specialty is in the science of measurement. Since 2006 I’ve worked at a couple of companies with effectively the same group of folks and we work hard to take large, highly capable laboratory instrumentation that requires a lot of expertise to use and convert it to small, application specific equipment that can be used by anyone. At my former company we had a lot of success in developing instruments for military and hazmat users (identification of conventional explosives, improvised explosive devices, toxic industrial chemicals, chemical weapons, etc.) and also for QC applications in pharma (incoming raw material identification). All of that technology was based on handheld vibrational spectroscopy (Raman and infrared), which seeks to exploit the interaction of light with matter to tell you something about the sample you are measuring. Since last summer I’ve worked at a new company founded by some of the folks from my prior company (after the prior company got bought out by a really big instrument company). We are now developing instruments for similar applications, but the technology in the box is totally different. The technology I work with now is called mass spectrometry, which in a sense acts like a molecular scale and tells you something about the sample based on what mass(es) it detects. I am totally stoked to be working with mass spec since it is new for me and represents fun new challenges. In both the old company and the new company, the end product is designed to be used by soldiers, hazmat guys, or whoever, and most of the time those folks don’t have a graduate degree in chemistry an have no interest in interpreting the data collected by the instrument. That said, the box has to be self contained and be able to take the measured signal and automatically interpret it so that an answer can be generated and provided to the user. That is my strongest expertise…my sub-specialty within analytical chemistry is algorithm development which mixes a lot of chemistry and statistics. I am mostly a product development guy, but I also do some outwardly facing stuff to (and thus the recent travel).

Though I think it is cool, I can see that a lot of people would think that the nitty gritty of what I do is fairly mundane. Fair enough. When I worked in pharma and used my skill set to monitor manufacturing processes, I would have agreed to some extent. But the applications that I get to support now and the customer training sessions I get to be a part of are pretty cool. I can’t really talk about what I’ve been traveling for recently, but my last work trip to Colorado a few years ago was to go to an IED course outside of Colorado Springs. I watched soldiers get coached on how to recognize precursors for different improvised explosives, and they used our equipment to measure both precursors and actual explosives that they made during the course. At the end of all of this, they had to dispose of what they made which means I got to watch them blow shit up. Not too many jobs out there where you get to see someone make a bomb out of hydrogen peroxide and horse shit and then blow it up!

Dear God…any readers that I had managed to garner to this point probably just decided not to bother with my blog anymore. I feel my blog’s view count plummeting. Wait….a cat picture may fix this! Everyone, meet Piper!

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 11 Jun 2014 04:23

i did start to glaze over a little bit until the cat photo. thank you! haha!
Aaron Price

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 11 Jun 2014 06:23

Continuing my string of blog questions: how many footbags can you stack on piper before she moves? Again, I feel a photo would be very helpful here.

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 12 Jun 2014 16:29

I’m glad a couple of you enjoyed the photo of Piper.

I noticed that Ken called Piper ‘she’ which is actually pretty common for people to do. I suppose Piper is a little bit of a feminine name, but Piper is actually a he (mostly). He was named Piper because he followed my wife (then girlfriend) home from one of the college bars we hung out at, and that reminded her of the Pied Piper story.

Here is a fun little story in the spirt of TMI about my transgendered cat. That’s right, we are such a progressive household, that we have a transgendered cat. About two years ago Piper had to get surgery for bladder stones, and during the process a stone got caught between the wall of his urethra and the catheter had been inserted for his surgery. Apparently a cat’s urethra is very small and delicate, an this was basically a life or death situation. Piper has been with us since 2000 and has lived with us in three states spanning the US. Faced with the option of putting him down, we opted to turn an already expensive procedure into an even more expensive procedure to allow him to pull through. Piper had to be rerouted into a girl in the process, but we do not make him dress in drag. As I said before, I like to think we are progressive....if he ever indicates that he wishes to dress in drag, I will fully support it.

In any event, I decided to entertain Ken's inquiry and find out how many footbags I could stack on Piper before he would move. I didn’t really want to totally mess with him, so I only did a single replicate of the experiment. When I approached him, he was laying basically asleep. That is what he does. Because he is a cat. And he is old.

After placing one footbag on him, he looked up at me seemingly annoyed. After getting up to 7 footbags on him and he was still laying there, but prior to stacking the 8th he ended up moving. Tile view of some photos I took during the process are below.

My ankle has been pretty sore and a bit swollen this week, so I haven’t played footbag at all. Today started to feel pretty normal, and I probably could have played on it. I don’t want to get a real injury, so I’ve decided to just be conservative and just hold out until Saturday session with Kevin. Given that I’ve been out of town 19 days in the last 6 weeks, it is nice to spend time with my family anyway.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 12 Jun 2014 21:04

Piper is adorable. I'm a cat person, as well.

This is one of my cats, Susquehanna, with a footbag on him (picture taken in 2011):

Great story about Piper, or maybe more along your line of work with a female name suggestion, "Pipette" :P

I love your blog. Great sense of humor and you're progressing well! Kevin always fills me in too. Hope to shred with you in the near future man. Krupp it up! Peace.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

shred4life
Hack Fiend

Post by shred4life » 16 Jun 2014 05:32

bobgreen wrote:I really had meant to get a group photo to commemorate the occasion, but two margaritas in after shred I simply forgot. The only photo I managed to get is the one below. I’ve always thought these lights were somewhat breast shaped, and this is the first time I had seen one mounted on a wall instead of the ceiling. The adolescent inside of me couldn’t help snap a photo.

I saw this pic today:
It totally made me think of this post :lol:
-Vince R

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 24 Jun 2014 18:49

Hi Modified. I guess I haven't been in a writing mood the last couple of weeks.

After my last post my ankle was pretty sore for a few days, but I rested it up and was able to play on it reasonably quickly after that last post. Took it pretty easy on it the first couple of sessions back because it didn’t feel 100%, but the last week or so it has been feeling pretty good.

In my last 5 solo sessions, I’ve started out with ‘marathon style’ drills for clipper and legover (e.g., complete 100 of each, counting drops to get there). After that I’ve been practicing specific combos for the rest of the session, but legover has been the theme and all of the combos use it in one way or another. I've drilled specific combos over and over a lot in the past, but doing a marathon style drill is pretty new for me. I think it will be helpful, but I’ll be glad to rotate to a different program soon.

Played with Kevin the last two weekends. Sunday it looked like I was going to get stuck in Boston too late to make our session, but Kevin was flexible on the timing and I was able to get out just in time to have a good session before dark. After the session, Kevin and I grabbed some some Mexican food and refreshments.

Overall, the session was a good time and a highlight of the weekend, but I can’t specifically remember hitting any move or combo that stuck out as too exciting. Had a few strings that were probably around 15 contacts, and I do feel like I’ve stepped up on my variety so I'm pleased about that. I’ll be working hard to continue to bump up my consistency.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 24 Jun 2014 20:22

Hell yeah dude. Keep pushing your contacts on tiltless. That is how you get good. Also, play primarily on your toes and with a straight back like a plank is tied to it. You'll see that footbag will all of the sudden get way easier.
Nick Polini

Funblog

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 01 Jul 2014 18:36

I am trying to be like the Irish in my footbag exploits.

Any of you reading this are probably wondering if good ol’ Bobby G is drunk blogging. No I am not. But I am enjoying a fine imperial stout as I type this (despite the pressure of summer tradition that would suggest I should be drinking some kind of unfiltered wheat beer).

In November 1998 I took my first trip to Europe and visited a friend of mine who was doing a semester abroad in Northern Ireland. The trip was full of great adventures worthy of their own discussion, but the point I am making here stems from a 2 minute side conversation that has always stuck with me. My friend was talking about the college students where she was ‘abroading'. She thought the general academic level was lower there and made the comment that the Irish will never take over the world. Upon overhearing this, one of the local students replied quietly (but proudly) that the Irish do not wish to take over the world.

I realize that we Americans are viewed as warmongers so I suppose that statement can have a variety of interpretations, but the point that stuck with me is that you don’t have to be top dog or numero uno to lead a perfectly happy life.

I think anyone who goes into their basement or garage ‘skoolhouse' and drills footbag for hours at a time until their shirt and shorts are soaked through with sweat has some sort of competitive fire that pushes them to try to get better and strive to 'take over the world'. That’s great! I love to see that because I love to watch people improve. I have that competitive fire too, but I am also pragmatic and realize that footbag is my hobby (meaning that family and work have to come first) and as Ken worded it in one of his blog posts I am well on the wrong side of 30. So even if I quit my job and abandoned my family to play footbag full time, it is unlikely that I am going to suddenly sprout into a top level player.

All of this is a prologue to say that after some consideration, I’ve finally convinced myself to post a video. I’ve been hesitant to do so because people can be pretty harsh in their comments. I dug out my wife’s old camera from several years ago, and filmed some of my solo session on Sunday. The video is not too high quality, so I apologize for that. As you view, just remember that in footbag I am like the Irish (e.g., I am not trying to take over the world of footbag…..give me all the tips you like, but try not to critique me as though I think I’m hot shit or something).

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cP8-WV_ ... rf7oWRddCg [/youtube]

Not sure what the problem is with displaying the video properly. I removed the s from https, and I even tried a preview on a different video which came out fine. Maybe it is because I have this video set as unlisted? I guess you'll click on the link if you are interested.

Not much else other than that. Schedules didn’t work out for Hogan and me to have a session last week, so all solo sessions recently. Looks like things are lining up for shred on Saturday, so I am stoked for that!

shred4life
Hack Fiend

Post by shred4life » 01 Jul 2014 19:38

I totally dig the footage man! You're getting there 8-)

I like the creativity with links. keep the videos coming! I've always said it doesn't matter what people think, as long as you have fun with what you're doing.

Ps - people here are much less judgmental than you think. Everybody starts somewhere.

And you are definitely past the "sucking" part. :mrgreen:

I hope to get the chance to play with you some day soon :cool:
-Vince R

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Jul 2014 21:38

I really enjoyed the footage. Left you a few tips on your Facebook. Definitely try those tips out. Nothing but beneficial. Hope to see more footage from you and ya' shred pahtnah, who shares his nickname with a sandwich.
Nick Polini

Funblog

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Jul 2014 02:55

Liked those pincher tricks. As someone who is very rapidly approaching the "wrong side" of 30, I know how you feel about not wanting to be at the "top of the world". It's been interesting watching the World Cup, because some teams (like Australia, or even the USA), went out, but said "well we had a good crack at it".

Did you get any footbag in during this European sojourn? Todexon 1? Though that may have been the following year.

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 02 Jul 2014 04:07

enjoyed the vid. didn't realize you had lost so much weight. went browsing through your photos on fb. congratulations! i know it's not much but i have lost 10 since playing and now am hovering under 150. haven't been that light in decades! play because you love the sport!
Aaron Price