"Freakin' Original" footbag club

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
sqig
Hack Fiend

"Freakin' Original" footbag club

Post by sqig » 21 Jul 2014 16:42

Me and a few of my friends who I sherd with have recently started calling ourselves a club, and I know that at least a couple of us (myself included) are ready to take our game to the next level. So I decided that it would be a cool idea to start a footblog to keep track of our progress.

So anyways, me and my friend hunter went back to his house to get a bit of shredding done after cross country practice, and we were joined later by a third friend. Hunter has been kicking for over a year, but he's just now decided that we wants to start getting deeper into freestyle. So today he was drilling his toe and inside stalls for a good part of our session, and I was trying to give him pointers were I could. His toe stalls are coming along well, he was able to get a few alternating in a row a couple of times. But his ankles aren't flexible enough yet for him to hit inside stalls.

Other than that, we mixed it up with a few tricks inspired by the "old school tricks" thread on this forum. We started throwing things like hand "power" taps and crotch stalls, it was pretty fun haha. I was able to hit stepping crotch stall> Butterfly both sides and a hand tapping butterfly kick.

Other highlights were I hit a couple of illusions, which have been giving me trouble, and my friend Micha hit 4 consecutive atw's, which I think is his personal best.

After we wrapped up there I headed home, and after some dinner I went out for some solo shred. Highlights were I set new consecutive records for alternating toe stalls:37, ss clippers:22 strong side, 15 flipside, far butterflies:14, and pickups:6. Plus I hit my first (mostly unique) 10 dex string, and it included pdx mirage both sides! I repeated a flipside legover but I think that was it .
Zach Rail

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Re: "Freakin' Original" footbag club

Post by Ryan_Morris » 21 Jul 2014 16:52

Freaking awesome to see a new club emerging. Tell your friend with the ankle troubles to try turning his hips away from the stall when doing insides––that is, for a right foot stall, turn hips towards the right and likewise for the left.
Ryan Morris

PSU crew, ECFU, Michigan Footbag, and counting.

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 21 Jul 2014 17:08

Thanks for the support! I'll be sure to tell him that tip next time I see him.
Zach Rail

Allan

Post by Allan » 21 Jul 2014 17:56

I'm looking forward to reading about your progress :)

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jul 2014 18:38

Wow! Pleasantly surprised by your level of play. That is awesome. I'm glad there is finally a club in Arkansas. If you ever feel like a road trip, there are good players in Tulsa, OK and New Orleans, LA. It's a bit of a hike, but it sounds like you guys have a pretty strong club in Arkansas! I'm also looking forward to keeping up with your blog.

Some footage of the club is always a cool addition, so people can see what level everyone is and also you can get a lot of good tips through posting videos of yourself shredding. If you're doing something incorrectly, a more experienced player can correct your form on that trick. Super useful stuff. Sounds like you're really taking off with the sport though! Keep it up dude! Hope to meet you and shred with you at some point.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 21 Jul 2014 19:58

Thanks again for the positive responses! I'll try and get some footage up soon if I can. I've got an HD camera that I won several years ago that I've never found a use for haha.

I'd be stoked to shred with you sometime Nick!
Zach Rail

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Jul 2014 03:10

Sounds like you guys are having some good fun, a few of those tricks sound like Lynton Stephens specials. This "power tap" is to hit the bag into an outside kick, isn't it?

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 22 Jul 2014 06:15

Well we were using other surfaces as well, but yeah it's just a hit into a kick.
Zach Rail

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 22 Jul 2014 06:22

welcome to modified!
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 22 Jul 2014 13:01

Thanks for the welcome!

So this morning I was walking around my house barefoot, about to head out for a session, when I nailed my left pinkie toe on the sharp corner of some trim! It hurt but luckily it didn't do any real damage, it just knocked a thin layer of skin off and it bled a little bit. So I slapped some tape on it and went to go shred.

I got a few new consecutive records again: 57 toe stalls, 35 strong side clippers, 27 flipside clippers, 5 osis', and 12 legovers. Other than that I got a couple of good runs on video, but I'll have to wait til later to try and upload them.
Zach Rail

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 22 Jul 2014 13:13

Woah, those are some pretty good records for real. At least in my opinion.

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 22 Jul 2014 13:29

Thanks dude!
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 22 Jul 2014 15:17

sqig wrote:5 osis'
Sounds you you have the potential to get in on my online competition!

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23691

Deadline is soon, so try to get in on this and you could win a free footbag :)
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 22 Jul 2014 19:42

Alright sweet! I'll get on that!
Zach Rail

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 23 Jul 2014 04:34

great job on the cons clippers! wow! those blow mine out of the water. can't wait to see vid!
Aaron Price

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 23 Jul 2014 15:01

Dang, yo, you have skills. Sounds like a pretty solid club, looking forward to the footage.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 23 Jul 2014 15:52

Thanks guys! I should hopefully be getting some footage up very soon so be on the lookout.

I had a pretty chill session with my buddy D-Mike last night. Nothing really noteworthy went down, but we had fun.

This morning I ended up experimenting with some barefoot stuff which was pretty cool. Not surprisingly, being barefoot made clippers quite a bit harder, but I was still able to get five consecutive both sides. I was also able to hit osis both sides in my first try while barefoot so I was pretty stoked about that. I was also able to hit a few nice links and combos including pdx mirage> butterfly> pdx mirage> hand catch. I got it all on video and, again, I should have it up soon, as well as some videos of some runs with my shoes on. :D
Zach Rail

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 24 Jul 2014 05:52

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ591RZ69Fc[/youtube]

Here's some of that footy. I'll hopefully have more up later.
Zach Rail

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 24 Jul 2014 06:05

dude you almost caught that ripwalk at the end. awesome! your game barefoot is leagues above mine with lavers :( i seriously can't believe how well your clippers are barefooted. impressive!

everything looks good. one thing i noticed is that your hunched over quite a bit. trying standing up more straight and pushing your shoulders back. everyone will tell you that it makes it easier to land tricks as well this way.
Aaron Price

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 24 Jul 2014 06:39

Thanks! Dude I tried so long for that ripwalk! I guess that the sketchiness of my stepping set combined with the sketchiness of barefoot clippers were to much to overcome haha. Hopefully i'll get it one way.

But anyways, thanks for the tip, I'll try and focus on eliminating any hunching during my next session.

By the way, does anyone know why it's not playing the video in the page?
Zach Rail