Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by boyle » 05 Dec 2018 11:26

I think it will be fine playing there, there's some spaces in the garage where there's plenty of space. It's probably just that it's different at all to the current space - although I don't like the idea of hitting my head on a metal bar! I will have to have a proper session in there to check it out, but I think I've found a good part of the garage to setup to play.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 Dec 2018 23:16

I put my Joulu video out some days ago. I had plenty of positive comments, which is always really good.

I'm happy with how that turned out. It's nearly all from the one session out by the river, just in some different areas. I've played there quite a few times.
The main one that's on video is this vlog from when Janis Thal from Germany came out to Australia. It was about 40 degrees, but we still got to play a couple of days in a row.

I haven't seen that one in quite a while, it turned out pretty well.

In terms of current kicking, there's been very little of that. I felt really sick on Saturday, though I still went to work. At first I just thought it was a hangover, something that would pass (there was that part of it too), but I was getting hot and cold, this sort of thing. Conveniently my workplace is full of beds, and we weren't busy at all, so I went and laid down for a while. That fixed me up for a short while.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get a few kicks in. I haven't even got a clip of myself playing in this space I mentioned before at the new place. I went to move some stuff over there reasonably late this evening and it seems one of the neigbours was parked in the driveway. Hopefully that's a habit they get out of quick smart.

Speaking of international guests, Joshua Rilko from the USA will be coming to Canberra again next month. He plays in a touring band and he's only got to meet with a few footbag players - and I am one of them. The band were here for the folk festival earlier in the year - I'm sure I posted about that in the blog here. It's only every now and then any players come by to kick. Hopefully we can catch up, I've seen his schedule and it may work. Though we have a trip to Sydney which might just be slightly at the wrong time. Hopefully we can get that working - he posts every now and then on the Facebook group and looks like he's made some pretty strong improvements since we played last year.

A few of the Aussie freestyle football guys have gone to Vietnam for the Asian championships, I saw some videos of them kicking with Khoa. It's in Ho Chi Minh City. Not really the right timing for me, but that would have been super fun to go to. I had a great time in Vietnam and would love to go again. In reality though, I've got to get a new passport, I think mine is getting close to expiry, so even if I was totally prepared and hadn't just bought a house, it would take me some time to get any travel together.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Dec 2018 20:47

I got in a few tricks in the lunch break. It's not really a tidy video, because I will do a trick, then go into a few kicks, but whatever.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrY67_VF7_s/

I've been productive today, I was way behind in my tracking and I have caught up to the current day. I've also been doing how far I've been doing on the bike, and I should pass last year's total, though I imagine that will be quite a similar amount. 2750 was the total for last year. I was hoping to pass 3000 this year, but don't think that one's going to happen. Maybe next year.

They put out the Latino Sick 3 video. I ended up coming 4th on that one.

I don't really agree on the order there, but no big deal. Good that the competition is running at all.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 26 Dec 2018 00:48

Looks like we've lots some of our recent posts from the last couple of weeks. I didn't contribute too much in that time.

Here's a little combo I did yesterday (fairy osis>butterfly swirl) with a reasonable run afterwards. Just spent a couple of days in Sydney for the Christmas time. Didn't get a lot of footbag in aside from that short session but had some good lunches and that sort of thing. Back home and back to work, back to continue on the house moving process. That is a bit of a pain, but it's coming together. The garage is almost empty and I'd like to get a few clips with a background of nothing rather than all the junk that's usually in the background (that's been transferred to the new garage and is a total chaos.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Dec 2018 17:02

First post of the year. Easy for me to do that, as Australia is one of the first places that welcomes the new year. Although I was asleep when that was happening.

2018 for me in footbag. Playing wise it was pretty good, I hit some new tricks, some bigger tricks and some pretty good runs. I did quite a few 20x20 sessions (I think 14 in the end). Seems I haven't done any since August though.

I came very close to alpine food processor a few times, had it off my foot, but I didn't get it. That's something for next year. The other trick I came very close to which I feel will be a bit of an "unlock" moment is flip spinning whirl. I haven't been able to get the timing right on this for ages, but recently I got gyro whirl on my flip, so started having a go and I've had that off my foot a few times.

I started doing these "Footbag on Instagram" posts each month. That has been a fun little project. I've found a few players I didn't know were on there through doing that. http://sportslashlife.com/footbag-on-instagram-index/ I put together a link to each month's post as well.

Speaking of Instagram, I put a final clip up for the year - https://www.instagram.com/p/BsCKFaLFn4L/ - came out quite well, though I was trying some bigger tricks beforehand but that wasn't working out.

I would really like to travel to a footbag tournament this year. We haven't been anywhere at all for 2 years now so it's time to take a holiday. If that pops up to be in Poland at the end of July, so be it. Much more likely to be in Chile though for a trip. Another trip will be to New Zealand for a wedding. It's on the South Island, so will hopefully have a kick with Phil Morrison there. He's been posting a few videos lately, which is great to see.

What was a little disappointing was the lack of sessions with others. I did get to kick with Khoa, that was awesome. It's always great to meet people that you've been talking to online for a long time. It would have been great to have a couple of sessions. We had a lot of fun playing, and Dianne came along too. Only got to kick with her a couple of times this year.

Something I've been working on a bit this year is some other foot-games. Jianzi, chinlone etc. I got a badminton net a while back, I might set it up in the backyard and practice some takraw serves. A lot of other things in the house to set up too.

They had a Takraw tournament here in Canberra, I went along for a look, but only for a short time. I'd like to join in next year, we'll see how the timing goes. I like the idea of going to the Kings Cup sometime. I see posts on Facebook asking if people are keen to go - you generally just need a passport and a bit of interest.

I think I kicked with Copey and Dyalan just once each this year. Can't remember any other sessions with them in recent time. Also got in a session with Joshua Rilko from the USA when he was here for the folk festival. I think he'll be here next week again, so try and line up another kick. I am getting my wisdom teeth taken out in the coming weeks so that might put me out of action for a little time. Not particularly looking forward to that.

In terms of the footbag player profiles I mentioned before, I got to 20 for the year. Happy with that as that was the number I said that would make it a viable project. I haven't decided exactly how I want to present them, but I'll figure that out in the coming weeks.

I didn't put out so many videos this year (I did do a lot of Instagram clips though). I was pretty happy with how my Joulu video came out. It was funny though, as most of the comments were talking about the "great variety of locations" (it was filmed almost entirely at the same place, though a few different areas by the river).

I'd like to break the 100 guiltless mark this year. It shouldn't be too hard for me to do. I've done maybe 92 or so before. Can't remember if that was last year or this year. I think this year is the year for me to do a beast. There's a few combos I've been thinking lately are withing the realms of possibility.

alpine blurry whirl>spinning ducking whirl>motion sickness
backside spikehammer>pixie motion>mindbender
pixie ss motion>locomotion>ducking motion

These are the three I have in mind, but if I do hit one it will probably be something different.

Happy new year to all and thanks for keeping this board alive!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Bends the mind

Post by C-Fan » 03 Jan 2019 11:57

In my completely subjective and personal opinion, mindbender is the easiest 6 to finish a beast with. I think you'll have more success closing a beast out with that instead of say ducking motion. I also recommend learning the link of PSW to a low spin set. If you can get that feeling natural, links like mullet to spender or whirligig to spender become easy ways to get to a beast as well.

Happy 2019 Dan!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 04 Jan 2019 20:34

yeah, I think mindbender is the one to finish off with, although it's not particularly easy for me. It is reasonably easy the times I get it right it feels good, same with tricks like spender.

My PSW is definitely not a strong point, though I can do a few of those tricks (mullet, whirlygig). It's usually close to a miracle if I hit them at all, so doing another 6 add out is probably a stretch, though maybe it's something I could end on.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsMdPLwFUmA/

I had a couple of sweaty sessions recently. We had some cleaners at the old place yesterday, so I was kicking in the garage there for a while. The day before I went out to the Gungahlin skatepark, I've kicked there lots of times before, but had a bit of a kick down by the lake. I was working for a while on rubberman. Not very successfully, but I was putting some more thought into it than just trying to go in and do it. Breaking it down into the parts, trying to do the links in between. That's something I will try and work on a bit in the near future.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Jan 2019 00:42

I haven't been playing anywhere as much as I would like, though I got in a bit of a kick today.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsj2-MZlFqF/

I came close to hitting motion x 4 (I have hit 3 before and I dropped the fourth one). I also hit pogo gyro toe and pogo ss motion. I did vortex>spinning ducking osis. Matt Kemmer posted something on Instagram, though he had gangsta party as the second trick and I thought - that lines up for me, I could do that. The same run had a tomahawk in in it too. I have a feeling I hit something else new today but I have forgotten that now.

I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow so I'll be out of action a few days.

I met up with Joshua Rilko the other day, he was playing a show in the city so I was able to go to that for a short while. We didn't have a kick, but I might try and go to Sydney next week and meet him there if my face is not still aching. We will see about that. The drummer in his band was saying he wants to start playing too.

They had a pretty decent turnout at that show, hopefully they keep touring Australia each year. Seems there's a good scene for that folky kind of stuff. They gave me a CD and I have been listening to it quite a bit.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Jan 2019 05:13

Nice stampede. Been a while since I've seen anyone hit that.
Good luck with the wisdom teeth! Though I remember mine being not too bad. Also nice vortex > spinning ducking osis. Nice combo

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 15 Jan 2019 14:55

I like that trick, I haven't hit it for a while though, so it was good to hit that one. I also hit enterrage a couple of days ago. Both of these tricks I've been able to do for around 10 years, maybe more, but I feel I have a bit more consistency about them these days.

I have been suffering for like a year thinking about how much getting the wisdom teeth out was going to hurt, but it hasn't been too much trouble. They put me under sedation to rip them out, then I have various medications to take through the week. There's a bit of pain, but it's nowhere near what I built up to in my mind.

Maybe today I could have a little kick. I haven't done any so far, but a few days rest will probably do me good. I've got quite a few days of work to recover from the teeth so that's also going to do me good.

So we've got our internet connection in business. I haven't really tried uploading or downloading anything at this stage, but one thing is that I can use the computer from anywhere in the house. In our old house the signal wouldn't reach to certain rooms, which was a pain.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Wise man

Post by C-Fan » 16 Jan 2019 08:30

Yeah, I wonder if the pain/severity of removing wisdom teeth varies wildly person to person. I got mine out 9 years ago, and when I did I didn't even get put to sleep. They just did local novacaine and banged them out. The recovery was super easy because I skipped anaesthesia; I think I footbagged the next day.

Props on getting them out, and also on the new interwebs.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 16 Jan 2019 13:45

My wisdom teeth, on the other hand, were quite bad. The dentist took the orthondontic equivalent of a hammer and chisel and smashed my two lower ones. It didn't hurt that much at the time, being medicated and all, but that night one of the sides burst open and I had more than one mouthful of blood to spit out that night. I think actually I went back to see the dentist the next day.

Anyway, glad yours weren't too bad, and Ken I agree; the experience of getting wisdom teeth pulled likely varies from person to person.

Also, yes stampede! I will try to do that today.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Jan 2019 17:53

For me, I'm pretty sure my dentist just wanted the money, so I had them taken out when there was nothing wrong with them, which probably helped it not hurt as bad. They also didn't put me out.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 17 Jan 2019 03:13

Tjuggles wrote:
16 Jan 2019 13:45

Also, yes stampede! I will try to do that today.
Definitely forgot to try that...
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Jan 2019 11:47

It seems they certainly vary from person to person, my Dad had a pretty bad experience - he got them out in a hospital and he was all bandaged up around the face like a mummy.

I'm coming to the end of the antibiotics - it's still a bit sore and swollen, but not so bad. I've been able to play footbag the last couple of days. I saw a video on the Facebook memories of me doing 5 fearless, so I've been trying to match/beat that, but it hasn't worked out. I haven't really been able to do particularly long runs - but there hasn't been any effect from the teeth on the playing, so that's good.

Hopefully in the next couple of days I can have a longer session. I don't have to go back to work for a few more days.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Jan 2019 01:43

I've been playing a bit lately, I'm back at work now, so the teeth are more or less back to good. Hopefully so anyway.

Kyle Cook posted this video of him doing pdx tap from xbd toe. I've been doing a bunch of tricks from zipper, but had never thought of that. I eventually got it, then tried to upgrade it. I don't think this is quite clean, I think I brought the toe around too much before setting - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs9_FYglS1f/ I was going for shooting set from the cross body toe.

I also played at home recently, got to have a decent session on this square I was talking about a while back.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs40c20FT1z/ - For some reason that post on Instagram got a few more views, maybe because I hadn't posted in some days.

Hopefully going to get to play more in the coming days, it's been super hot each day so it's a bit of a sweat just to go outside. Now that I'm back to work, I'm riding about 30km per day just getting there and back, but I will find some time to kick in there.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Jan 2019 09:12

Nice clips. Enjoyed the story from the second clip.
Would be interesting to see slowmo on the shooting trick. It's hard to see the toe stall even if I'm looking for it. Sounds tough though!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Jan 2019 03:35

It's not really a good angle at all, as I was filming from on top of a table and it caught too much of that. I think it is too much towards the clipper side, but I think I can do this for sure. I will try and get a better angle and a more clear cross body toe as well. I think I've got to work more on getting those right in the middle of the foot, so that it doesn't edge towards the clipper.

I had two short sessions today. It was much cooler in the morning, so I played for a while, I was a little bit sore, so didn't get so much, mainly individual tricks. I did get this one pretty good run. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs_tlzFFDVR/

I had another short kick in the dinner break, and didn't do much of note at all, I can't remember any highlights from that, only played a short while and wasn't trying anything major.

I haven't made much progress on my little projects I was working on last year. Actually overall, it's a big ongoing project, but I've just been looking at how I will actually display the profiles and I think that can work easy enough. I made a good run of progress about a month ago, so it's fine to have a break.

I have published a couple of "How To Play Footbag" posts, which look at some of the different tutorial videos out there. It's meant to be a part of a bigger picture, but I haven't really completed that. The plan which I will put some actual work into is to do some "How To Teach Footbag" posts, which look at doing workshops and a few ideas of things to do in that regard.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Jan 2019 00:46

It's always a busy time for us, this time of year. It was Nico's birthday, so there's a party to prepare, then the day before that was out anniversary. It also one of Nico's cousins birthdays too, so there's a party to go to for that. Then work and all the other regular stuff. Doesn't leave so much time for kicking.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtSoNs6lamI/

Here's something from a short session today. It's definitely nothing special. I was wearing a pair of the heavier Lavers. I wasn't kicking in these that long, but on both sides the outside is ripped quite badly. I'm not sure if that happened while I was kicking, I don't remember complaining about that before. I'm sure if read back in this blog I will find those exact words, but I will save that for another day. The others I've been wearing regular are getting a bit worn so I want to use them less regularly.

I've kept up with my roundup of footbag posts on Instagram - http://sportslashlife.com/footbag-on-in ... uary-2019/ though I haven't been able to keep up with really active posting. Funnily enough while we see a lot of people throwing boiling water into the snow, it's been close to 40 degrees here most days.

I've made a change to my work schedule. I'm working longer days, then having one extra day off. It's good to know I will have a guaranteed day off. I will be with Jasmine on those days, and do the school drop off and pick up, all that kind of stuff.

Today I footed gyro diving whirl. It's something I've been trying recently and seems kind of fun. Haven't really hit much of note lately, haven't had sessions long enough to get to that point.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 31 Jan 2019 05:49

Nice gyro symple twist.
Also, nice to see the round-up!

Not sure what you mean by throwing boiling water into the snow, but in Australia it certainly can't be the same as here in Canada. When you toss boiling water into the air when the temperature's at about -20 celcius or colder it turns to snow instantly. Super cool discovering that as a kid in Winnipeg!