Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by boyle » 17 Oct 2019 21:40

They are hiking shoes (Teva). I've worn them out so now they have quite a big tear in the side. They have a really good clipper surface actually, though they are a bit heavy. I am considering to get another pair, but they cost a bit more than I would like than I would like to pay.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 19 Oct 2019 02:39

boyle wrote:
17 Oct 2019 21:40
They are hiking shoes (Teva). I've worn them out so now they have quite a big tear in the side. They have a really good clipper surface actually, though they are a bit heavy. I am considering to get another pair, but they cost a bit more than I would like than I would like to pay.
Ah yes, Teva. I have looked at some before and yes, they are a bit pricey.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Oct 2019 01:11

My Dad gave me the last pair a few years ago - didn't realise they had such a pricetag on them! Could even be worth getting them repaired seeing as that's how much they cost.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 25 Oct 2019 13:03

I've thought about getting Lavers resoled but never have looked into it.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Oct 2019 22:09

Some people have done it here, I know Ian Pritchard did it years and years ago. It made the shoe a bit heavier, but gave it a bit longer life. Usually when mine get to the end point, there is really no turning back- cracked soles, damaged bit around the toes, so on and so forth, so I haven't put much thought into it. We do have a friend who is a cobbler so I have considered taking some for him to take a look at.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Oct 2019 23:17

Alrighty, been a little while since I've done a post.

Had a decent session a few days ago, down at the tennis court - https://www.instagram.com/p/B3-n9oole9l/

Don't spend so much time in that area (for obvious reasons, we don't live there anymore), but Jasmine still goes to daycare once a week nearby. Most of the time I am teaching on Thursdays, but I didn't have any calls on this day, so had the day free.

I've been working on a little video from when the Socceroos played in Canberra. They did play here against Nepal just the other day, (5-0) but that reminded me I still had a bunch of video from the previous time, which was against Tajikistan or someone like that (3-0). So I put together that, it's nearly finished, but it was a rainy day, so there was not that much great stuff, but some decent stuff came out there.

Heading to New Zealand next week. Hopefully meet up with Phil Morrison on Saturday, so that should be cool. I've mentioned before, he's coming back from a serious injury so he said he can't shred too hard. Doesn't matter anyway, even if he just wants to play some hack, that's fun too.

Don't think I've mentioned it, but I've had a few experiences just playing hack around the place lately which has been cool. One guy has a few tricks up his sleeve (stalls, flying clippers, etc). Might try and meet him next week. He runs a cafe by the side of the bike path.

Anyway, NZ trip should be cool. I'm thinking my Joulu video for this year will be based on that. I'm sure there will be some good scenic shots and hopefully I can do a few tricks up against that.

There are big, big protests in Chile at the moment. One million people in the street today. Will be interesting to see what happens with it all. Chile is really the country where they have sold everything off, have a billionaire president etc. They had a small solidarity protest here in Canberra, we went along for a while but it seemed kind of disorganised. We were probably there too early before it really began.

Would be quite interesting to be there. I went to quite a few of the student marches when we were living there, but these were measured in the thousands, not in the millions.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 26 Oct 2019 13:08

boyle wrote:
25 Oct 2019 23:17
Had a decent session a few days ago, down at the tennis court - https://www.instagram.com/p/B3-n9oole9l/
Nice runs. Spinning ducking is difficult!
boyle wrote:
25 Oct 2019 23:17
Heading to New Zealand next week. Hopefully meet up with Phil Morrison on Saturday, so that should be cool. I've mentioned before, he's coming back from a serious injury so he said he can't shred too hard. Doesn't matter anyway, even if he just wants to play some hack, that's fun too.
Too bad we won't be able to meet up, but I'm sure we will in the future. People that I hack with here are REALLY good at hack. In fact, we sometimes refer to it as attackey-sack.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Oct 2019 01:49

Spinning ducking, particularly on the strong side, is not too difficult for me. I'm trying to get the flip side to catch up. Hopefully will make a stop in NZ, even just for a day next year - particularly if we're going to South America. Would be fun to play some hack.

Got in a short session this evening - https://www.instagram.com/p/B4J2hiEFz3J/ - it was one of those times in the short break where you're going along pretty well and would prefer to just keep playing instead of going back to work. Not always possible though.

Anyway, the big thing out of this session was assasin>phoenix on both sides. Was aiming for the bsos but that should come soon enough. I also had pixie diving legover>assasin so would be good to combine those tricks a bit further.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 28 Oct 2019 13:15

I like things like spinning ducking because it really forces you to think about the set, and also forces independence in terms of setting the bag and spinning.

Nice work on Assassin > Phoenix bs! I don't think I can do it flip.

Yes, even one day of hack would be sweet. I would like to head to Aussie too...
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Oct 2019 00:55

Yes, let me know if you are over this way sometime. Surely if your uni will pay for you to play hackysack, they would pay for you to go to a conference or something.

What I would like to do in 2021 is some sort of event or so to mark 20 years since the 1st "Australasian Championships", which were part of the "Xtreme Games". http://footbag.org/events/show/996293200

It would be good to get some of those old heads together, and basically anyone else that's been involved in footbag since then as well. Not sure if people would be interested at all, but it's something I've had in mind lately.

I had a session in Quantums today. I don't use them too often, because they are high risk to just fall apart, but I was out in the garage and they caught my eye. Did a few good tricks along the way. https://www.instagram.com/p/B4OO-DyFIDR/

Tonight in the dinner break I had a short kick wearing "Dunlop Volley" shoes. When people see Rod Lavers they say, oh yeah you play in volleys, hey. Not quite, unfortunately because you can often get these shoes quite cheap. But they have no clipper and just don't go well at all. I can go reasonably well in most shoes, but these were certainly not helpful.

Actually speaking of New Zealand, they released the Raiders draw and they are going to a double header with the Brumbies (the Union team from here) at Eden Park early next year. If I have any money left, it could be a fun trip. We'll see on that one.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Nov 2019 22:25

Hope you are having a blast in New Zealand! Looking forward to some stories and/or videos.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Nov 2019 17:44

We are back now, good time over there. I was able to get in a kick with Phil on the first day there. Here's a short clip from there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4WUk38FLaN/

I'll write some more in the future, and got some more footage from our session too.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 Nov 2019 01:30

I've been putting together some of the footage from kicking with Phil. Got a few cool runs there, it didn't seem so much like it at the time. I'm putting something together for the Joulu, which will be a mix of them and some scenic shots. Plenty of very scenic places down there, a lot like the south of Chile.

Here's a video I made many years ago in Chile with some really good scenic shots.

Still lots of protests there in Chile, lots of people are being shot in the eye by the police. Not good.

I've been playing a little bit in these 4freestyle shoes. They are for freestyle football but I've been able to get some decent runs. They are no Laver replacement, but they do a decent job. Here's a little run from today. https://www.instagram.com/p/B49Y8o5FHOD/

Speaking of freestyle football, a guy contacted me that is a freestyle footballer, he has moved to Canberra. Looks like he is really good at the uppers - like the head tricks. I'm not much good at them. Will good to have someone else to kick around with. Also got in touch with Copey to see if he wanted to have a kick now the days are getting longer.

I haven't even really posted many photos or anything from our trip online. It was really enjoyable. It was handy too, we had a few hostels for free which made a huge saving - 4 of the nights were free. That really helped a lot. The prices are not so cheap for places to stay there. Enjoyed the trip.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Nov 2019 21:46

I came close to diving torque yesterday. Was wearing those hiking shoes, so fingers crossed I can get in Lavers. I've been running through some of this footage with Phil, it's interesting because we hit some fairly similar tricks, but he just glides through the air and I just sort of stomp around.

Whenever people ask me what's the difference between me and a real top level player, I usually answer consistency, but it's more than that - it's the style and the execution, as well as the difficult links.

I haven't met up with that freestyle guy yet. Maybe next week, though the schedule is filling up. Heading to Sydney tomorrow for my Nanna's 90th birthday. She doesn't want a party at all, but seems she's getting one. Will just go up and back in the day for that one. Then have a couple of things the next few days, and hopefully one of them is kick with Copey and jump in his pool.

Speaking of pools, just spent some time at the Civic Pool before coming into work. They have diving boards etc, so that was quite fine. Nico was doing quite well jumping of the 1m board, he hadn't done that before. I did a 720 off the 5m platform, that was pretty fun.

I've decided to go to Sydney in a couple of weeks for a festival called "Good Things". Should be kind of fun, fair few bigger Australian bands like Parkway Drive, Violent Soho, The Butterfly Effect and then a bit of a mix on the international side - I will probably see Trivium, Enter Shikari and Bad Religion. It's been years since I've been to a festival, so hopefully it's fun. Also hopefully there can be some hack action. The old days of festivals had big hack circles, I haven't been for years so not sure if that still happens.

Francsica became an Aussie citizen the other day. Doesn't really make too much difference in the day to day lifestyle, but can be handy for travel, or if she wants to go for a government job.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 27 Nov 2019 10:54

boyle wrote:
22 Nov 2019 21:46
with Phil, it's interesting because we hit some fairly similar tricks, but he just glides through the air and I just sort of stomp around.

Whenever people ask me what's the difference between me and a real top level player, I usually answer consistency, but it's more than that - it's the style and the execution.
That's a really interesting question, and one I have wondered about over the years myself. I think consistency is a huge part of the answer, which is why I've always tried to reserve my judgement of a player until I've seen them play in person. I believe that anybody can hit a big trick, or even a nice Sick 3, or even a dropless routine. The same can't be said about how many people can do those things on command, either first or second try, and under pressure.

The style part of the question is also super-interesting to me. I feel like style can be improved with practice but there are limits to that. Like, some people make it to BAP level and objectively hit super hard stuff, but their style may not be as pleasing as some high level intermediates who just flow well. Some people have pretty great style right from the get-go and I have no idea why. A good example of that was a player named Juan Rangel, who just had amazing style even when just doing butterflies. Unfortunately can't find any footage of him on YT.

Crazy what's been going on in Chile. I've actually been listening to this song a lot, sometimes after reading about the crazy stuff happening in my own country.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Nov 2019 22:25

Juan Rangel - that name sounds familiar but I can't picture him. When was he around? Was he from the US?

I've completed my Joulu video so happy about that. I had some error with my file so that stuffed things around, I also wasn't really happy with the footage I had in total but I was able to get a couple of clips today to round things out.

I think on style you "have it" or you don't. Some people do have that good rhythm - some of the Colombian guys have it for sure, just a good way of moving their body. I guess this sometimes transfers to a smooth flow on the dancefloor too!

A lot of crazy stuff all around the world, but it's full on seeing a lot of it in Chile. Especially from places that I've been. Our window would have looked out over the main protest area, though I don't imagine we would live on the 23rd floor anymore with two kids.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Dec 2019 01:13

Hello there.

Haven't been able to see too much of the Joulu as yet. Looking forward to sitting down and watching a few of them before it escapes from me.

I've joined up to a gym in this past week with the whole family. We have a pool there as well. What can help with watching these Joulu videos is on the cardio equipment they have Youtube and Netflix so might have a look at that. There's also a big room where they do the classes but the times I've been in so far there have been no classes, so that looks like a good spot for a session.

I posted a short Instagram video yesterday - where the outside pool is (there is also an indoor one). There's a good spot for kicking there, so happy with that. https://www.instagram.com/p/B5rGMSKFuqR/

There are very bad bushfires around most of Australia. We are fine here at the moment, but there's some a little to the East of Canberra and more down the coast. Those ones are quite disappointing because that's an area we visit quite often and we have a couple of friends there. Scary stuff. Going to that festival in Sydney tomorrow, seems there will be a lot of smoke haze around so we'll see how that all goes and hopefully my bus will get me to the destination as well.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Dec 2019 22:47

2019 Joulu

I have been able to be involved in the calendar again. I think that would be five years in a row now, and happy to be a part of it. Happy I was able to have a kick with Phil Morrison in New Zealand, and most of the footage from that session made up the video.

I also made a vlog which is more scenery, but there's some decent footbag runs in there too.

The reality of all that was I was going to put it together in one video with a mix but I got some kind of error in the file and all my work was undone. But this worked out OK as it was. Some people had some nice things to say about my game on the Facebook thread so that's always a positive too.

I've been teaching a fair bit in the recent weeks, which is good as the school year is about to end, so there'll be no teaching on at all for about 6 weeks. I thought up a little game which works OK sometimes (depending on the class of course). So I usuallly show a little demonstration, but now I have added a maths challenge to it.

The maths part is simple, but it's a good "think quick" sort of exercise - you have to give me the numbers to add up to 10 and then I have to do the tricks (eg 3+4+3) I might do ducking clipper>ripwalk>swirl. Bit of a fun challenge for me too. Tomorrow I'm teaching at the same school and we've got a "pool fun day". Not sure how fun that will be for the teachers, but we will see how it goes. It's boiling hot so I'll be happy to hit the pool anyway.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 15 Dec 2019 03:03

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6FgWxVFZFP/

Short run in the break today. Very windy and using this "Courtvantage" shoes that I don't really like. Most shoes I can do a job in, but these I find quite difficult. They are Adidas and do look reasonably similar to a Rod Laver. Oh well. Still got a few runs today.

As mentioned earlier I've joined up to a gym. Haven't been to a gym in a long while. Probably not since pre-going to Chile and it would be a fair while back, probably around 10 years ago now. I'm enjoying it so far. Probably because it's only early days. But we've got the pool there too which is useful as the next few days are going to be 40+ degrees and the rivers are often closed because of blue green algae, some of the beaches are full of ash from the bushfire, so an indoor swimming pool will do the trick for the moment.

I've only had the chance to have one decent session there, but there's a good space next to the outdoor pool, which I hope to use tomorrow.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Dec 2019 03:32

If you're an avid follower of my Instagram you might notice I've been going through my shoe cupboards and testing out a few different pairs and how they go for footbag.

Today I got two new pairs of shoes.

This pair (Saucony, hugely discounted). I also got a new pair of Teva shoes. I was hoping to get the same ones that I had before but couldn't see them. I think these ones won't be as good for kicking, but may be better for hiking (also waterproof, which is a plus in itself). So they had some discount for some mysterious reason today it was 40% off. I said OK, and ended up with the two pairs.

So I had a short test run and they seem to do quite the job. First run was about 20 contacts. Then I hit paradox torque (a trick that is not very common for me).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6NNuTjlJEN/

So you know what, I think these might just become my regular shoes for everyday wear and tear. And my Lavers which have a huge tear in the side, they can just be for shred sessions. Which there might be one of with Copey on Sunday. I've been saying that for a while but I haven't made it happen year. The weather hasn't been great, high temps and a lot of smoke from the fires.

I went to a festival called "Good Things" last week in Sydney. Maybe the week before actually. Time flies. Anyway, some bands I've been going to see for getting towards 20 years now, The Butterfly Effect, Parkway Drive. Mainly Aussie bands but a few internationals (Trivium, Enter Shikari, Bad Religion).

I did a vlog from it which I probably should have split into two, but it doesn't really matter as not many people watch them anyway. Some hacky sack action in there from during Violent Soho's set. It's funny because I posted something on Facebook about their next video being them playing hack, but it's actually absolutely something they would do.

Many, many years ago we had a comp at the "Homebake" festival, which was all Australian bands (2002 was the year, in 10 attempts at a sick 3 I managed absolutely nothing). There was some word some of the people in the bands were keen hacky players and were going to come and join in, but that didn't happen. Funnily enough, I also saw The Butterfly Effect there at that same fest. That was the second time (of many) I ever saw them.

Anyway, it was good I had fun, and I was very pleased to get a hack circle going. Although it got to the point it was going so well, that I was like, I actually want to go closer to the front and watch the band, but I can't stop the hack circle running. Soon enough it died out on its own. There's another festival next year, Download. It's like a mini version of the UK event. It doesn't appeal quite as much to me, but there's some bands I really like on there, so we'll see closer to the time.

Also, the end of the decade is almost upon us. You know what, that's a good "Facebook poll" question, who is the player of the decade. There have been a few who have had strong bursts for a couple of years, Vasek has been consistent but he actually doesn't have a lot of titles from 2010-2019. Might have a think on the poll options and post it up tomorrow.