Muffinman

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Muffinman

Post by Muffinman » 31 Jan 2020 20:35

Hey TJ, thanks for the concern. Yeah, I'm confident it will blow over. Playing footbag again?... I'm optimistic, though don't think it will be any time soon at this rate. I'll definitely come back and post here when I'm playing again, if Modified still exists then lol. It's quite slow, though I do greatly appreciate the work that Daniel (and anyone else?) has put in to keep it alive!

Stopped by a session today to just hang with my friends since Maciej is in town just for this week (he missed Dylan's jam by a day -- too bad). It was Maciej, Dylan Fry, and Alex (and Dylan's wife). All were playing great, and I just watched and chatted with Sonya. We all went for dinner after and that was nice since I'd only come to hang out anyway. Great to see Dylan, and since I'd only briefly met him at a handful of events over 10 years ago -- I don't think I ever had a conversation with him aside from, like, "Hi." He did some sick breakdance moves after footbag, and then his wife did a bunch of handsprings in a row -- apparently she was a professional gymnist years ago -- both were super impressive! Hopefully I'll be able to hang out again before they leave Toronto at the end of March. Alex, Dylan, and Tom Mosher all play regularly once per week, but Tom's shed is quite small so there isn't really room for me to just tag along, I don't think. Also, it's too bad that I didn't make it to Dylan's jam this past weekend, but they're having another in Hamilton (an hour away) next month, so maybe if I'm better enough I'll make the trek to hang. Also, apparently Jorden went to the jam on the weekend, which I found super surprising, considering the drama on Facebook, but I'm also glad he did, and I hope that helped smooth over some stuff for him. I heard that he didn't play so much, and rather spent time coaching others. Anyway... hacky:

Dylan was hitting long contact runs, super smooth obviously. Tons of torques. A nice run with spinning whirl > gyro whirl BSOS, vortexes, lots of mobiuses. Torque > pdx torque repeat. I missed him hitting a marius that he said he hadn't hit in like 10 years. He hit 23 dynos (I think he said his records years ago was like 50??)

Alex was playing solid with long runs. I asked what his butterfly record was, he said 50-ish, and then proceeded to hit 55! Also hit 9 drifters? Legeater BSOS. Some solid toe runs.

Maciej was on fire as always, though he says he doesn't really play that much back home in Poland, since there's nobody else in his city. He hit like 19 barflies? Or 16? Something like that. Like 14 contacts of plasticman. Janiwalkers, whirring swirls, pdx whirling swirls. You know, Maciej.

I've been drawing a lot and playing lots of games. Not much else I can do. Drawing every day since Jan 1 (my Instragram is https://www.instagram.com/chantienyee/). Accctually, almost every day since Oct 1 last year, but I got really sick at Christmas and missed a day, so waited to start again on Jan 1 (an easier day to remember). Also doing an ATW each side once per day since Jan 1; previously I had a record of 2 years straight, but then also missed that when I got sick. For games, I spent a ton of hours 100%ing Witcher 3 -- so good. I'm inching through Pokemon Ultra Moon, which I started like 4 years ago. Also trying to pick up Death Stranding again -- it's so slow. And I just got Thronebreaker for Switch, which is a Witcher Gwent RPG -- heard great things about it and Gwent was my favourite part of Witcher 3!

EDIT: Oooh, I get to do a top post painting. Here's an artist I've been super into lately whose painting style is how I want to paint -- he's got a chunky angular lilt to his paintings, and that's how I work also. I've prepped a few paintings recently, so we'll see if mine come out anything like his brilliant work lol:

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Nice Uribe

Post by C-Fan » 31 Jan 2020 23:33

Yeah, Uribe has an awesome style. Just little things, like how edges are hinted at but not even really drawn.

Glad to hear you are optimistic about a return to playing. I always have my fingers crossed for you.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Feb 2020 01:35

TJ's also putting in the work to keep this thing alive. Thinking about some things to do to get a bit more going, but I think just posting.

Few things in your recent posts - first of all - best of luck coming back from these injuries. You've had a really rough run over the years and you do seem like one of the people who takes the most care doing all the exercises and rehab etc. Been seeing a bunch of your drawings come up on Instagram - it does look like getting towards that kind of style.

Great to hear Dylan is back in action. He's got that smooth style and good to hear he could make a comeback from a pretty serious injury. I mentioned before but he spent a fair bit of time in Australia so I got to kick with him a few times when I was starting out in freestyle. Good to hear Alex is continuing improving. The last videos I have seen of him have been impressive, much smoother game.

This Maciej guy just sounds like a beast (or regular Polish player...). Going pretty good for someone who doesn't practice.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Questions for the Muffinman

Post by C-Fan » 12 Feb 2020 10:36

It'd be cool to do a podcast with you, since you're one of the few people who started around the same time I did who still is active in the community.

On an unrelated topic and just for fun, curious what your answers are for these questions:

1. What is your proudest footbag achievement?
2. What was the best tournament you ever went to?
3. What is the hardest trick you ever hit?
4. Hardest link?
5. What is your favorite video of all time?

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 12 Feb 2020 16:46

C-Fan wrote:
12 Feb 2020 10:36
It'd be cool to do a podcast with you, since you're one of the few people who started around the same time I did who still is active in the community.
I would love to listen to that!
C-Fan wrote:
On an unrelated topic and just for fun, curious what your answers are for these questions:

4. Hardest link?
I would love to read Erik's answers to those!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Nice Uribe

Post by Muffinman » 12 Feb 2020 20:57

Wow so much activity in my blog in the past few days! Remember when all of Modified used to be that busy... So strange that we favour Facebook now, which is pretty terrible at revisiting old content.
C-Fan wrote:
31 Jan 2020 23:33
Yeah, Uribe has an awesome style. Just little things, like how edges are hinted at but not even really drawn.
We seriously need to sit down and talk art some day. We have so much crossover interest, and I'm always super impressed that you also follow some of the artists that I think of as more obscure. I also still want to see some of your art one day!
Glad to hear you are optimistic about a return to playing. I always have my fingers crossed for you.
Aww, thanks Ken :)
boyle wrote:
02 Feb 2020 01:35
TJ's also putting in the work to keep this thing alive. Thinking about some things to do to get a bit more going, but I think just posting.
Nice! Well done, TJ! Not all heroes wear capes.
boyle wrote:
02 Feb 2020 01:35
This Maciej guy just sounds like a beast (or regular Polish player...). Going pretty good for someone who doesn't practice.
Lol, yeah, just a regular Polish player. I think he got 3rd place in some event at a recent big event like Euros or Polish Champs -- can't remember which. Here's some of the most recent footage of him from 1.5 years ago (7:33 mark) (we don't film in our indoor spot unfortunately). You may also know him from pdx double blender and triple blender fame (he's definitely hit the first, but I can't remember about the second) :

C-Fan wrote:
Wow, I'm honoured. That sounds like it'd be fun. I'm not very great at speaking though, so I doubt it would come out even halfway entertaining :p
C-Fan wrote:

4. Hardest link?
I gave a bit of thought to these and tried to come up with some answers without overthinking it tooo much. I also have a terrible memory, so the only answer I'm really 100% sure about, I think, is my top video to answer #5:

1) Proudest footbag achievement? Not being a competitor, this is a tough question, since when I think achievement, I think competition. So my instinctive answer is winning KICKASS 3, one of the few events where I actually competed. But it wasn't a super big victory or anything, and I think the outcome could've been 50/50 me or Adam Greenwood. Johnny dropped out, and that's the only reason I won, lol, but it's neat to be able to say I won an event. It was Circle, which was the main event. I think maybe a better answer is when I hit 350 new tricks for my 35th birthday, or when I hit a whole bunch of new tricks to hit 2000 total tricks. Again that one wasn't a huge deal because they were all mostly silly tricks.

2) Best tournament ever went to? I know you weren't a big fan of a lot of elements of this one, Ken, but I still think Worlds 2007 in Florida was the best. But again "best" means something different to me, a non-competitor. The Terra Verde community that Peng helped organize was so amazing. And another thing was that there were a lot of old schoolers in attendance, some of whom were even freestyling a bit? Pete, Tuan, Sunil, Chad, and others...

3) Hardest trick ever hit? This is a tough question since I don't think I've ever really hit any tough tricks, moreso a handful of medium tricks. Ha! Here are some I came up with in rough order of difficulty:
-1) atom bomb
-2) gangsta party
-3) spinnning ducking dlo (may have hit this symp?...)
-4) entree (terraging mirage invention)
-5) toe spikehammer (first to duck quantum?)

4) Hardest link I don't think I've ever really hit a really tough link. These 2 came to mind, but tacking a symp trick onto the end of something doesn't really take any precision, I don't feel.
-porque > mullet bsos?
-step duck symp whip > rev montage?

5) Favourite video of all time Hard to limit this to just one
-1) Just Shred (This was the first tape I ever owned, back when there were like 20 videos on the internet, and I watched it multiple times every single day for years!)
-2) "Airinen" (a 3-minute Lauri and mostly Aleksi video with 19 unique fearless, long double dex run, etc, that it looks like Jay removed from YouTube or made private :( ) When I need a quick hacky fix, I usually used to come to this video
-3) Vasek in Paris 2005/Vasek in Paris Raw (I can never remember which is which, but I think Mathieu Gauthier filmed either one or both?) Could watch this on repeat for hours
-4) Oops is the best thing in the world (a 30-second Oops club video of Sam, Chris, and Bryan). Sam made this video in like 2000? I made a parody video in 2002/3? sampling the audio. And then in 2007 Kevin Regamey made a video of me sampling the audio from my parody. The original background music in Sam's video was Ready or Not by the Fugees, and it's officially my favourite song, which I heard there for the first time
-5) Eli The Resistance/Undefeated. Eli was one of my first favourite players. My first favourite was James Risden, then Ricky Moran, and then Eli I think.
-6) Evan The Lion/Silencing The East Coast. Just really love both of these, and they showcase some of the best shred from one of the best players to ever play hack

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 14 Feb 2020 18:31

#3 If only I filmed the whole time and did not try to hit smear every run while I was not filming, that video would last an hour with so much massive stuff O_O
Mathieu Gauthier

boyle
Post Master General

Re: Not So Tough Now

Post by boyle » 14 Feb 2020 22:38

For some "not that tough" tricks, these are pretty tough! Especially some of the inventions. I don't know if I've ever seen terraging mirage. I'm imagining I could find a video quite easily though. (Not so easy in my one minute search, I might continue looking later.) I guess the links and tricks are not quite there compared to the craziness that some players can come up with. This is a good activity, I think I'm going to steal it and do one of my own.
Muffinman wrote:
12 Feb 2020 20:57

C-Fan wrote:

4. Hardest link?
I gave a bit of thought to these and tried to come up with some answers without overthinking it tooo much. I also have a terrible memory, so the only answer I'm really 100% sure about, I think, is my top video to answer #5:

3) Hardest trick ever hit? This is a tough question since I don't think I've ever really hit any tough tricks, moreso a handful of medium tricks. Ha! Here are some I came up with in rough order of difficulty:
-1) atom bomb
-2) gangsta party
-3) spinnning ducking dlo (may have hit this symp?...)
-4) entree (terraging mirage invention)
-5) toe spikehammer (first to duck quantum?)

4) Hardest link I don't think I've ever really hit a really tough link. These 2 came to mind, but tacking a symp trick onto the end of something doesn't really take any precision, I don't feel.
-porque > mullet bsos?
-step duck symp whip > rev montage?

Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Not So Tough Now

Post by Muffinman » 04 Apr 2020 16:18

acxel22 wrote:
14 Feb 2020 18:31
#3 If only I filmed the whole time and did not try to hit smear every run while I was not filming, that video would last an hour with so much massive stuff O_O
Whooaa. Would've been amazing to see that!
boyle wrote:
14 Feb 2020 22:38
For some "not that tough" tricks, these are pretty tough! Especially some of the inventions. I don't know if I've ever seen terraging mirage. I'm imagining I could find a video quite easily though. (Not so easy in my one minute search, I might continue looking later.) I guess the links and tricks are not quite there compared to the craziness that some players can come up with. This is a good activity, I think I'm going to steal it and do one of my own.
Thanks Daniel :)
Here's a video of Michal Biarda hitting entree:

QUARANTINE/PHYSIO
Been a while.
Still injured. This quarantine situation is quite a bit to deal with. Everyone is struggling with the few weeks of staying indoors we've had to endure. I've actually been indoors since Dec 2 (the last time I tried to casually hit some tricks while watching Alex V and Dante D jam). Thankfully I'm a stay at home personality, and I can still do most of my favourite things, aside from footbag, so I'm surviving. But the stir-crazy is definitely starting to hit after 4 months...

I just had my first quarantine physio session on webcam with my physiotherapist yesterday. We've reworked my program to be more yoga-centric. So today I did this new routine for the first time. I prefaced it with 15 minutes of cycling, because I need to get back in shape. I followed that with 10 minutes of restorative yoga poses. Then some core strengthening. And then 10 minutes of yoga. I always feel amazing after yoga, so I'm hoping that will counteract the back pain that I would normally feel from cycling. I think working out is the way to beat the quarantine blues. I feel so great after all of that. If all goes well I will try to do all of this daily, slowly increasing my cycling duration. It would be great to be able to get back to 1-2 hour indoor rides. Especially since I seriously need to get in shape for my wedding in August that may or may not be happening. I've gained so much weight :(

VIDEO GAMES/DRAWING/DOONA BAE
Basically just been playing video games and drawing.
I tried Assassin's Creed Odyssey since it was free for a weekend back when the quarantine first hit, and I ended up buying it immediately on sale it was so good. I'd tried a couple Assassin's Creed games before and just completely disliked them, so I'm really impressed by how much I'm enjoying the combat and cinematic story.

I've been drawing every single day since Jan 1 (also, hitting ATW-in BS every day since Jan 1). I usually do half a drawing per day, so I'll do a rough and then the next day I'll finish it, or I'll do a couple simpler drawings. For the past couple of weeks I've only done the first half of a bunch of drawings and never finished any of them, lol. Hoping to change that. I also ordered some new oil brushes, after doing some research, since I did a test painting and working with my art school brushes was just frustrating. Hopefully the new ones will be better and I can work on a bunch of paintings. I have a bunch of canvas board ready for that.

I recently finished the second season of Kingdom, which is probably one of my favourite shows ever. It's a feudal Korean zombie thriller. Fucking amazing. So last night's drawing was a fan art of the main character that I hope to finish when I'm done typing this. I'm also going to do one of Doona Bae after, and I've also started watching Sense8, which is a show that's intrigued me for a while. It stars Doona Bae (among others) and is directed by the Wachowskis!

NEW VIDEO
Hmm, not much else to say.
Oh, yeah, half the rationale of coming to post is that I threw together a quick video of unused footage from my 20th anniversary video, so here's that:

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Apr 2020 02:16

Wedding in August?! I feel like I don't remember hearing/reading that here. Congrats!

I love those videos you have put up. You were kicking butt in those vids. Awesome shred. Can't believe it has been two decades. Holy cow we aren't as young as we used to be.
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Congrats Erik!

Post by C-Fan » 06 Apr 2020 11:01

Tjuggles wrote:
05 Apr 2020 02:16
Wedding in August?! I feel like I don't remember hearing/reading that here. Congrats!
Same! Fingers crossed the world is less crazy by August, and the logistics work out OK.

Nice highlights video. Definitely some stuff in there I had forgot I've seen you do (diving spinning both sides!).

What platform do you use to play games? Do you use Steam at all?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Apr 2020 12:05

Thanks guys. Yeah, it's been a long time!
I play mostly on PS4. I do have Steam, but I don't really play much on it. I think my Steam name is chantienyee at gmail dot com.

Actually, just came back to say that Maciej sent me a video of him footing blurry double blender. Like, with upward motion after. He said he will hit it better within a few days. Nuts! It looks like if you're in the super secret Polish FB group, he's posted the video there with some other runs.

Oh, also helping out on a footbag project that sounds really fun. It'll be revealed once a good chunk of it's been started. Dunno when that will be. Probably not for a while. But it feels good to be involved.
Last edited by Muffinman on 09 Apr 2020 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Apr 2020 03:07

Nice video Erik. Diving spinning was really awesome and there were some super duper long runs in there. Taishi just put a video on Facebook of him recently, it showed his early days, compared to now. I know Ken has mentioned being there seeing him starting out, but it's quite amazing seeing that difference.

Look forward to hear more about your footbag project. Sounds very mysterious at this stage but I think it sounds cool even though I don't know what it is.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Apr 2020 12:47

I agree with Daniel; great shred! You make some of the best footbag faces Erik.
TJ Boutorwick

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Apr 2020 17:20

Thanks guys. I got to shred with Taishi regularly I guess when he was 3 years in, if he started in 2003. He lived in Toronto for a year or so in 2006-ish? And that's when I first lived there temporarily also. Haven't gotten to see him much since then unfortunately :( He's such a chill and humble guy.

Lol, thanks TJ. I did notice that sometimes I hold my breath and puff my cheeks out, especially at the beginning of that first run. Lol. I never paid attention to the faces in general though, so now I get to enjoy noticing those. Hahaha.

I PLAYED FOOTBAG!
My physio has been improving my back suuuper slowly. But just this past week I was able to start actually working out again! I started cycling on my trainer (like a stationary bike, but with my actual road bike), and I've pushed up to nearly 30 minutes at a time now! Aiming for every day and to slowly push my endurance up to 1-2 hours again. Back pain has been super manageable. Probably has a lot to do with never leaving the house, but still. So last night I tried some super, super light footbag for 10 minutes. Some of the things I did included:
-10 alternating clippers
-5 near clippers > far clipper > 4x near clippers > far clipper > 4x near clippers > far clipper > 4x near clippers
-4 ducking clippers
-spinning clipper and gyro clipper both BS (just on their own -- no runs or anything)
-6 butterflies?
-(near clipper > ducking clipper > near clipper > diving clipper) x2

Not much else, really, but felt good. And omg the tops of my thighs are killing me today after 25 min of cycling, I think from the hack. 'Cause I haven't used those muscles in almost 1.5 years. Omg. Can't believe it's been so long. Watch, I'm gonna be good and healed just as Dylan Fry leaves Toronto :( I'm always self-conscious of playing in my apartment because I know it's super loud and annoying for my downstairs neighbours, but I have a nice, white, circular rug in the middle of my living room and I pulled out a pair of never-worn Climas, so the rug helps muffle my thumps, and the shoes don't dirty my white rug. Very nice!

TABLETOP SIMULATOR
Something else that I've been spending some time on, aside from video games and drawing, is playing board games on Tabletop Simulator. Not sure if any of you are board games geeks like my family and me, but we play a lot of board games. I bought Gloomhaven for my older brother for xmas. It's one of the top rated board games of all time, and also the heaviest, at 21 lbs. Nuts. It's like a much more advanced and improved version of Descent, which is a fantasy role playing board game that I own and played a lot of. So since we can't get together and continue our Gloomhaven campaign, we all got Tabletop Simulator on Steam and have been playing it virtually online! It's amazing! Tabletop Simulator is new to me, and basically for $20 CAD you get the program and then there are 15,000 board games available that users have recreated/3D-scanned. All for free. Any popular board game you can think of. It's a great way for us to try out a game before buying it now. Though we do go to board game cafes for the same purpose a lot too. Anyway, highly recommended if you have even the slightest interest in board games or want something that you can use to virtually spend time with your loved ones during this mess. It's hard to explain how amazing it is without pictures/video. It even has VR support.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Apr 2020 19:52

I had a nightmare a few days ago that I was at Worlds, but only me an Marco Hartig were interested in playing. Everyone else was sightseeing and there was literally no footbag happening at worlds. Like Worlds 2014 :(

There was discussion recently about surging in the FB group. I think Derek Littlefield said that it's impossible to do it cleanly. Kevin Regamey came out of the woodworks and linked a video of Byrin, saying it's perfect, and I think Derek disagreed. Then I remembered the one time I tried to do surging, and it was definitely clean, because I made a point to set, stop, spin, stop, dex. I forgot about trying to find the video though, and then Nick Landes posted a video of him doing an undeniably clean surging set, exactly as I described in that last sentence, except he added a plant to make it even more distinct. I lost track of the conversation though, and I can't seem to find it now, so no idea if he even posted that video, since I only saw it on YouTube.

Nick's super clean surging:

Derrick Ogden let me know that Footbag.org videos actually work, whereas I've thought for like a decade that they haven't! I had to use Firefox, instead of my default Chrome, to get it to work, but OMG, all this time! So I was easily able to find my surging video. I'm not sure if it's still surging at this point, since it's mid-time, but... mine is also pretty obviously clean separation of set to dex. I guess Nick's is also mid-time... like how he and Milan do those downtime taps... I remember during this session, I thought I was doing it both sides, but after I edited the video I saw that I was only doing it one side D: Spinning tricks are the easiest to confuse me like that, especially gyro...

My surging:

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 May 2020 13:57

I am in the outside world!
This is the second time I have left the house for a reason other than groceries since March... 17th? It’s glorious. And the weather is perfect! 12 celcius and kinda overcast.

The first time I went out was about a week ago. I’d been cycling indoors and thought that it was probably really loud and annoying for my downstairs neighbours, so rationalized that if I went cycling on the road and avoided actual cycling paths that I would still be social distancing. That half hour ride kicked my butt, but I was going 20kph the whole way and I didnt think to bring water.

Now I took a much shorter bike ride to find a spot to try out my sea legs on some hacky, having not played in 1.5 years. Wow. So much fun! Only about 20 min. But also, I filmed some highlights and wow I’ve put on a lot of weight :( hoping to try to cycle daily and ease footbag back into that as well. Just in time for summer! Well, let’s see how my back feels tomorrow after this! I did take drugs and wear my brace in preparation.

Highlights:
-10x butt > 10x osis first try
-sidewalk > ripwalk repeat
-spin > gyro clip repeat
-dive > duck clip repeat
-mobius bs
-blurry whip bsos
-and a few 15-ish guiltless runs

I definitely went harder than I intended to, but if I feel fine tomorrow then, oh boy, I’m so excited! Will have to stretch and yoga when I get home, but I’ve been doing that every single day anyway, so that shouldnt be a problem.

K, just gonna sit out here a bit longer before continuing my ride.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the space I found was only, literally 3 feet wide, so I couldn’t do too much. Will try to find a better spot next time. Also, I made a quick edit on my phone from 6 min of footage. I’ve gained a lot of weight D:

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 16 May 2020 10:52

Very happy for you that you played! Definitely don't overdo it, since it'd suck to have another setback.
Muffinman wrote:
15 May 2020 13:57

Will have to stretch and yoga when I get home,
Do you not stretch immediately after playing? I find that I have to stretch before leaving my shred site, because otherwise my body gets cold by the time I get home and the stretches are not effective.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 May 2020 15:34

Thanks Ken :)
Just came back the next day to update saying that my body feels great! I’m only slightly sore. I was expecting so much worse. I don’t have ANY back pain (fuckyeah!) and the only soreness I have is minimal. Like no pain walking or anything, which I really was expecting after working out so hard for the first time
In forever!

RE: stretching, you’re right, normally I would stretch immediately after a session, but there were a few reasons I didnt: it was wet out since it just rained; I was still planning to continue my cycle after, so my legs wouldnt have a chance to cool down; and also I just didnt think to because It’s been so long since I’ve played 😂 But mostly the second reason.

May aim to play again Monday or Tuesday, probably lighter fare but longer runs if I can find an accommodating spot.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 19 May 2020 15:39

Great news about the lack of pain. Hopefully this means more vids from you too!

I typically stretch immediately after kicking, however since working from home I find myself kicking, then coming in from my garage to eat dinner, then showering up. This means I don't stretch until just before bed.
TJ Boutorwick