World's 2020

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: World's 2020

Post by Tjuggles » 22 Mar 2020 15:04

C-Fan wrote:
19 Mar 2020 22:10
The way things are going now, I've shifted away from "nobody could blame IFPA/Medellin for canceling" all the way to: "IFPA/Medellin SHOULD cancel." I just can't imagine any argument for there being benefits that outweigh the risks at this point.
Yea, I agree; with just about 3 months before the dates, I think it makes sense to cancel.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Colombia on 19 day lockdown

Post by C-Fan » 22 Mar 2020 20:18

The day after my last post in this thread, the Colombian President announced the country was going on a 19 day lockdown. So yeah, that doesn't seem promising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coro ... n_Colombia

At this stage I can't imagine many cities want to host, or would even be allowed to (number limits on how many people can gather in a space at a time). Even if there somehow was a location that was willing and able to host Worlds, how many of us would realistically want to travel under the current circumstances?

I expect they'll either cancel Worlds completely this year, or postpone it way out until the fall.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Colombia on 19 day lockdown

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Mar 2020 14:01

C-Fan wrote:
22 Mar 2020 20:18
At this stage I can't imagine many cities want to host, or would even be allowed to (number limits on how many people can gather in a space at a time). Even if there somehow was a location that was willing and able to host Worlds, how many of us would realistically want to travel under the current circumstances?

I expect they'll either cancel Worlds completely this year, or postpone it way out until the fall.
Agreed, especially considering the Olympics are postponed/cancelled...at least that is what I read this morning.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Mar 2020 20:25

Announcement made today. Won't happen in July. Currently on hold, may happen later in the year, potentially in November.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 26 Mar 2020 22:43

boyle wrote:
25 Mar 2020 20:25
Announcement made today. Won't happen in July. Currently on hold, may happen later in the year, potentially in November.
Yeah I just saw that. For the record, here is said post:

Dear Footbaggers! Due to the global coronavirus pandemia, we have to postpone 41° World Footbag Championships 2020 in Columbia. The dates of 26/07 - 2/08 are not an option anymore. Footbag players worldwide may not come to Columbia this soon, even if the health risks are gone. We keep our good intentions to run the tournament in Medellin, but later this year. Possibly November 2020. In the meantime, stay healthy and play #footbag!

November will be an interesting time. Actually, it may be easier for me to attend then...
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 27 Mar 2020 07:25

Thanks for the updates Dan and TJ! November is indeed an interesting time frame. I wonder where the world will be with Coronavirus by that point. From a vacation standpoint, I expect to have lots of time to burn by then, since I can't do much travel now.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Mar 2020 16:22

C-Fan wrote:
27 Mar 2020 07:25
November is indeed an interesting time frame. I wonder where the world will be with Coronavirus by that point.
I wonder that too; it is hard to really get my head around a number of variables, including the fact that it is a global pandemic. I just went to the supermarket to pick up pre-ordered groceries. There was an evenly-spaced line of people waiting to get in to do their shopping, a line that wrapped around the front of the building, across the parking lot, and started at the entrance to the parking lot, probably 150 feet from the entrance to the supermarket itself. I am curious about the psychological effects this pandemic/lockdown will have on all of us. While waiting for my groceries to come from the back, I grabbed some drinks. I wasn't sure how to walk around the other customers; everyone seemed to be doing their normal routine, but surely we are all at a heightened awareness that we should be 2 meters away from each other. I wonder how that phenomenon will play out in the future, after lockdowns end. Crazy times.
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 27 Mar 2020 16:37

Indeed. The other weird thing about a November timeframe, is that nobody really knows how COVID-19 will react with temperatures. For some other kinds of viruses, transmission rates go down in warmer weather, but then shoot right back up when it gets cold again. The Spanish Flu a century ago was like that, where it first appeared in the spring, scared everybody, appeared to go away during the summer, then came back again in the fall when it killed way more people than when it first appeared. Could COVID-19 be like that, where transmission rates fall as we enter spring and summer, only to return again in fall? Nobody really knows.

Wiktor
Multidex Master

Post by Wiktor » 05 May 2020 03:58

Real Worlds 2020 have been cancelled.
Online Worlds 2020 will be offered!
Wiktor Debski

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Panda emotions

Post by C-Fan » 06 May 2020 11:36

Wiktor wrote:
05 May 2020 03:58
Real Worlds 2020 have been cancelled.
Wiktor wrote:
05 May 2020 03:58
Online Worlds 2020 will be offered!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

wiktor msg

Post by C-Fan » 08 May 2020 08:00

Wasn't supposed to post that Wiktor video, sorry. Here's a fun skate video instead.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Facebook info sharing?

Post by C-Fan » 12 May 2020 08:46

If any more information is posted on Facebook, can somebody copy it into this thread for all us non-Facebook luddites?

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 May 2020 06:14

A bunch of info has been on Instagram. I'm about to go to bed now, I'll post it on here tomorrow.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 13 May 2020 07:09

Events:
There will be four events featured in this competition:
*Shred30 - hit as many different tricks as you can in 30 seconds!
*Freestyle Routines - play to the music with control and style!
*Sick3 - best combination of three tricks!
*Shred-off (NEW FORMAT): It’s pure freestyle video content. Show your best moves and get from qualification pools through to the 1vs1 competition.
More information about each event coming soon…

——ESPAÑOL——
Categorías:

*Shred30 – Ejecuta todos los trucos que puedas en 30 segundos!
*Freestyle Routines – Crea una coreografía al ritmo de la música!
*Sick3 – La major combinación de 3 trucos!
*Shred-off (Nuevo FORMATO): Shred-off Es una competición de vídeos de puro Footbag. Muestra tus mejores trucos desde la fase de clasificación hasta las competiciones 1vs1 del top16 hasta la gran final. Próximamente más información…
Mathieu Gauthier

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Live vs pre-recorded

Post by C-Fan » 13 May 2020 09:09

Thanks Mathieu!

The only thing I could find on footbag.org was this listing:
http://footbag.org/events/show/1587822289

It looks like the date I'm seeing on that listing as well as the Instagram posts is August 1st. Interesting to me that a single day is listed, as opposed to a weeklong range (e.g. August 1-8). Could it be they are aiming to do all events in a single round on a single day? I could see reasons to do that for sure.

That brings me to the biggest question I've had since Online Worlds 2020 was announced. Are they going to try and have the competitions run live in real time, or ask competitors to pre-record their entries? I don't think it's as easy a decision as it might seem on its face. Competing live and under pressure has always been key to footbag competitions (and most competitions in sports generally). We also now live at a time where the technology exists that we could theoretically run live competition from anywhere in the World. In practice though, there are LOTS of challenges. Let's assume everybody who wants to compete has a reliable internet connection, decent camera, and the ability to play their routine music while filming. Even assuming these tech hurdles are cleared, what is a fair time to start an event? As I write this, it is 11 am in Denver. I would be fine competing at 11 am. For Wiktor in Poland it is 7 pm, which I'm sure he could make work. But for Taishi, it is 2 am in the morning now. Even assuming competitors could train/adjust their sleep schedules so the time difference didn't affect their bodies, there are logistical hurdles associated with the different time zones too. All the gyms in Denver are closed now, so my best shred space option now is an outdoor spot. Even assuming weather and temperature are not factors, what if the proposed time for competition is at night? Similarly, what if a competitor's only usable spot is at a gym, but the competition is outside of business hours? Pre-recording event entries would level the playing field and eliminate these time zone challenges, as well as reduce the chances of technical issues (dropped connections, poor quality, etc.). It would also of course change the very nature of the competition, where it would no longer be "who can do the best routine under live competitive pressure" to "who can hit the best routine, given unlimited filming attempts?"

I wonder if the live-vs-prerecorded competition decision has already been made. I may still make a vlog on it since it's an interesting topic. Either way, I'm glad it looks like we have until August before the event, as that buys a lot more time to prepare.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 17 May 2020 12:14

it's all pre-recorded, live would be too difficult, just time zones would be insane to manage
Mathieu Gauthier

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

More info on footbag.org

Post by C-Fan » 18 May 2020 10:40

Wow, that is huge news. As I laid out in my previous post though, I totally get why they're doing it that way. Given the circumstances, I think it's the best solution that will yield the best product.

I checked footbag.org for confirmation, and was happy to see an update of the event info:

http://footbag.org/events/show/1587822289

Weirdly though, its not on the front page of the website. Anyway, here's the text of the announcement:

We are pleased to make an official announcement for the IFPA Online Freestyle Footbag World Championships 2020. The online tournament will feature competition very similar to the events held at the actual World Championships, except players will have to compete remotely from home and not together at the same venue. Due to the current pandemic that is sadly affecting the entire world, and our ability to travel anywhere has been significantly hindered, for now, we are creating an online event we hope the whole world of Freestyle Footbag players will be able to join. We want to underline that the event is run by IFPA and will represent the highest standard of organisation and judging.

Event Details:
The concept of this tournament is simple: record a video showing your best
skills for every event you want to participate and send them to us! The
footbag competitions you participate in during the next couple of months will
be filmed by you, of you competing, and then submitted to our tournament
coordinators. We will then publish all player submissions together, while
certified judges watch simultaneously and give scores. The Global Final is
set for the 1st of August 2020, showcased Live from our Studio. The show will
cover top players’ videos, live commentary, special guests, video calls with
the judges, and possibly … the BAP induction! This is a Prize Money Event! We
are building a separate fund that will go to the best freestylers! If you
want to add your coin, please donate to our dedicated paypal account. Real
trophies and medals will be shipped worldwide to the winners. This is the
same community and footbag passion you would normally see at the IFPA Footbag
World Championships, except instead of you on an actual stage performing
amongst friends, it will be your own best self-made video submission on
“stage.” The only thing between us is our computer screens.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 May 2020 14:11

There is a full website for the online competition now.
footbag.online
http://www.footbag.online/player-info/schedule/

June 26 is deadline for registration.
July 4 is deadline for submitting a video routine and you can find out some more on those links.

Events

Routines
Shred 30
Sick 3
"Shred Off video contest"

LinoSphere
BSOS Beast

Post by LinoSphere » 02 Jun 2020 14:57

And just in case you found the website a bit confusing (as I did), it should be much better now. There is also more information on video entries.
Matthias Lino Schmidt

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Intro Clips available for Download Now!

Post by C-Fan » 18 Jun 2020 18:16

Big news: the official event intro clips are available on the site!

https://footbag.online/player-info/video_entries/

Now that these are available, you can start submitting clips!