Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Shred 30 nerdery

Post by C-Fan » 20 Jun 2020 19:14

EDIT: Top post graffitti by Odeith!

boyle wrote:
20 Jun 2020 17:54
Even if it's mainly 3s but unique and not dropping, you can get a good score.
Absolutely yes. Dropless and all unique is the key to a good score. Obviously the higher the adds the better, but all unique and dropless with low ratio is often better than higher ratio with less unique and/or more drops
boyle wrote:
I think 10 x 4 + 20 x 3 would get you on 200 if they were all unique.
Yes. The easy formula to remember is: if your whole combo is unique, just take the adds and double it. So ten 4 adds and twenty 3 adds is a total of 40 adds plus 60 adds= 100 adds. Double it is 200 points.
boyle wrote:
Anyway this was the run.

dimwalk>blur>dimwalk>blur>parkwalk>sidewalk>ripwalk>sidewalk>ripwalk>ss butterfly>diving clipper>ducking clipper>diving clipper>ducking clipper>diving butterfly>ducking butterfly>DROP>butterfly>DROP>clipper>ducking osis>torque>butterfly (rpt)>whirl>drifter>pdx mirage>DROP>pixie ducking osis
Remember that clipper counts towards your raw adds, but I don't think it counts as a unique contact. If you have to recover from a drop, try to restart your string with an osis or a butterfly as you at least get another unique 3 for roughly the same effort.
Last edited by C-Fan on 21 Jun 2020 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by Muffinman » 21 Jun 2020 16:17

Interesting strategy and thoughts on competition

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Jun 2020 12:53

yes, clipper (and other 1 or 2 adds) count to the total but are non-unique contacts. That was where I had already served into a butterfly, then dropped the same trick I just tried, so I wanted to just get some continuity. I definitely think I could improve on that though (obviously not dropping is a good start).

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 22 Jun 2020 14:01

I always tought that when you drop you should start from a 4 add, dyno for example is a good candidate, super easy from hand set, takes no air time, good add value for time spent, especially from a drop. Motion is same and 5 add!
Mathieu Gauthier

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Jun 2020 01:46

yes, when I was working on shred 30 a bit more regularly I was serving straight into motion. You can also place the bag on your foot and go into a bigger trick, though that can lose you some time. It's also a problem if you then drop your recovery trick, you've pretty much ruined the whole thing. Which I guess is the beauty of this filming experience that you can try again and again and again and again and again.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 24 Jun 2020 02:50

boyle wrote:
24 Jun 2020 01:46
...you can try again and again and again and again and again.
I think this is one of the main traits we all have that has kept us kicking for as long as we have. I wonder how many times I have told myself "almost, try again."
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Jun 2020 16:27

yes, that one is without a doubt. That's the exact mindset you need to keep playing footbag after you drop the first few million times.

This is me for shred off, round 1.

I've liked seeing the different entries, and I've liked that a lot of people are putting their entries up on their personal Facebook wall. I have no idea where this will rank me, but I'm pretty happy with that for a starting effort. I think I'll try and get a bit more density into my next round, as well as maybe a couple of unusual surfaces. I think there's something to having tricks that nobody else has done in theirs, but obviously you can't tell what other people are going to do.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 27 Jun 2020 17:18

That motion trick at the end wow
This round was just seeding too, next round is the real deal!
Mathieu Gauthier

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Nice Shoes!

Post by C-Fan » 27 Jun 2020 20:37

The reverse terrage stood out to me more than anything. The motion trick was great too. What kind of shoes are you playing in? They don't look like Lavers.

Looking forward to your next round Shred Off!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Jun 2020 01:46

Those are the 4 Freestyle shoes, freestyle football shoes. https://www.4-freestyle.com/product-pag ... ball-shoes

I've been playing in Lavers a bit today. I got some decent runs. I got a routine filmed. If I don't get anything more, I can submit that. I'd hope to get one a little bit better. It's interesting to think about the time frame, I think that will probably cut some people out with routines - some of the other events you can really get it done in one session, but routines need a bit more polish.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Jun 2020 01:47

Since we're talking routines, here's the last time I did a routine at Worlds.

Come to think of it, aside from the online comp in the last weeks, I don't think I've done many routines since. Maybe one or two demos, but not much that I've put serious planning into.

I think I'm going to submit the routine I have done. I would say it's better than my previous attempts at Worlds, which have three.

The one from Denmark was probably my best so far, but the thing I really notice in that one is I'm really rushing between tricks, which is more than just that the music is fast, that's more a nerves thing.

I was hoping to get dropless, but on this one I dropped the last trick. I may get some time to film again, but I'm going to be satisfied with this one. I won't be in the final rounds, so I don't mind sharing the secrets. Some pretty tough competition - I think the pool we are in, TJ is in it too, Rory, etc. I think it would be a fun pool in real life. And actually, Rory and Sergio were both in my pool at Worlds in 2015. I also had a lot of similarities in the pools from 09 to 10.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 03 Jul 2020 23:44

I'm loading up my routine now. I managed to get a dropless routine, so that's pretty cool. I have spent the day with a mean hangover, so I made things just like the regular Worlds, though I don't know how I would have gone in a real life situation. I had one recorded already but I realised it was actually too long, so I finished on like 2:07 or something rather than on 2 minutes. I think this one comes in slightly short but that's not really a big deal, it's only a couple of seconds. I do have my kids walking through the scene and interfering so I don't know if people will think I should get extra points for that, hopefully it will give some people a laugh.

This is my new shred off entry. I think I probably prefer my ranking round one, there were a few tricks I repeated between the runs. I nearly completely let the date pass, so good to get something in at all. Like a few people have been saying, particularly in this weird year, it's awesome to be able to compete at all. It's been fun working on routines, I think I'll work on this one a bit more and try and do it at Worlds next year or something else depending what happens in the coming year.

There's been some new videos put up by Arthur Ledain in the past day or so, about the IFPA situation. It's long (3x 20+ minute videos). I am currently on the IFPA, so I probably won't say too much about that, but I think it misses some really good work people are doing, particularly on the official social media channels at the moment, especially Youtube and Instagram. People also keep talking about making a new forum, new this, new that. Every single thing you could ever think about footbag is already on this forum.

They are running this mid year Joulu of old videos - I think Erik is choosing them. The first one was from 2004. Someone mentioned something about an old Modified thread, so I was trying to find that. Instead I got sidetracked and found in Ken's blog a detailed writeup of all the action from that very tournament.

I haven't got a shred 30 how it would like it yet. 200 is maybe a possibility, it would certainly help if I didn't drop it.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Jul 2020 00:03

boyle wrote:
03 Jul 2020 23:44
I'm loading up my routine now. I managed to get a dropless routine, so that's pretty cool. I have spent the day with a mean hangover, so I made things just like the regular Worlds, though I don't know how I would have gone in a real life situation.
Great work on the drop-less routine. I mentioned in my blog that you helped push me to go back out and record a drop-less routine (my safety had one drop). Thanks for that.

Also, great work on the shred-off entry!
boyle wrote:
03 Jul 2020 23:44
There's been some new videos put up by Arthur Ledain in the past day or so, about the IFPA situation. It's long (3x 20+ minute videos).
Do you have a link? I have only seen Wiktor's video so far and a quick youtube search brought up nothing.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jul 2020 02:47

Tjuggles wrote:
05 Jul 2020 00:03

Maybe not so good on the reading. I totally botched that, for some reason I thought the cutoff was next week, and I also thought you just did a one minute video again and then the rounds increased. That was not correct, oh well. At least I got an entry in.

Tjuggles wrote:

Do you have a link? I have only seen Wiktor's video so far and a quick youtube search brought up nothing.
Link to playlist here. There's 3 videos, each about 20 minutes or more.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -pTdGYPIVr

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jul 2020 02:50

After all I did have something to say on the topic. This is what I wrote in response to the video in the Facebook comments. I'll just copy it straight in here, it's quite long. Formatting may come out a little weird.

Thank you Arthur for these videos. I am not so sure everyone would want their conversations shared through this kind of platform, I hope you made sure it was OK with all of them before sharing on that.

Tournaments like Berlin and Copenhagen Worlds had a good mix of indoor/outdoor. With Berlin, if you didn't have the indoor section , we would have lost time in the schedule because there were heavy rains.

In Colombia, there is plan for spending key parts of the day indoor/outdoor, all in the same area. It's the same venue. I went there in 2012 for South American championships, that's exactly what we did there.

The main reason for this "golden era" in those early 2000s, was people putting serious time and their own money into things. Look at things like Footjam. That kind of thing is awesome, but you can't just keep doing that. There also seems to be more interest in people going to jams rather than tournaments. There have still been some really cool tournaments in the last few years, and we are seeing some growth, particular in Japan and China. The South American scene (Colombia and Venezuela) has actually been strong for a really long time, but they seem to be having more of an impact on the world stage now.

There was something mentioned about shoes. Shoes is not a barrier to entry, you can kick in any shoes. In fact, I've done most of my Worlds entries in other shoes aside from Lavers.

I also think there is not enough credit for Ikka and others who have really upgraded the official footbag channels, particularly on Instagram and Youtube. Yes, this is work to do on the website, but I actually think at the moment having the content on things like Instagram and Facebook is more important, because people are already there.

There was also mention of going into schools. This one is an interesting one - and you mentioned some of the issues. Do we want people to just go in for free, and reach more people. Not really, because you want people to get paid, otherwise they will only do it for a short time. Schools have limited amounts of money, and now there is less option for people to go into schools due to the pandemic. These are issues for local clubs. I think the local club scene is not as strong these days, because people can just get straight online and find out all the information they need. The international body can then give recommendations for what you can do if you are running something like this.
Someone also mentioned that the IFPA should be running pro teams and sending them around the world. This would be nice, but something like that really needs to come from outside. Think of this "Orange" company tour that was done in Europe long ago.

I think footbag has actually done really well in terms of the pandemic. We have been able to have an online competition, with higher numbers than the last few years. We've also got more people in the intermediate and women's categories, and a few older players making comebacks.
There was mention of non-IFPA volunteers - most people who are doing footbag stuff - let's say social media, or this online worlds, plenty of other things - they are working together with people from the IFPA. Footbag is a small sport, so it's more or less the usual people working together.
This is really long, but there were a lot of points brought up. One last thing, a lot of the term limits, director positions are set in place because of the status as a not for profit organisation in the USA, and any change to them would cause issues.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Jul 2020 12:46

boyle wrote:
05 Jul 2020 02:47
Tjuggles wrote:

Maybe not so good on the reading. I totally botched that, for some reason I thought the cutoff was next week, and I also thought you just did a one minute video again and then the rounds increased. That was not correct, oh well. At least I got an entry in.
Haha, sounds like you are sticking to the tradition of Worlds (e.g., not getting things in on time, being hungover, etc.) :)

boyle wrote:
05 Jul 2020 02:47
Link to playlist here. There's 3 videos, each about 20 minutes or more.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -pTdGYPIVr
Thanks!
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jul 2020 15:32

This is my routine. It's really cool seeing all the action from everyone. This has been a great event so far.

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 05 Jul 2020 16:44

Dude how can you manage to go dropless with all this traffic, you are surhuman
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Jul 2020 16:53

haha, I know! It's great how life is simply happening in the background whilst magic happens in the foreground.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jul 2020 21:19

In my previous attempt Nico was taking a piss in the bush at the side of the frame. Haha, I had some issues with the crowd control, but I was glad to get a dropless one together. I had two other attempts which I thought were decent, but with one drop. I was thinking to go again for another dropless but after a couple more tries it didn't seem it was going to happen, so I submitted the one with the traffic.