Kankeri Japan

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Shred offs already visible

Post by Tjuggles » 04 Jul 2020 22:54

Tjuggles wrote:
03 Jul 2020 16:58
C-Fan wrote:
03 Jul 2020 11:57
Tjuggles wrote:
03 Jul 2020 03:51
I still have one or two more sessions where I could try for a better routine. I may take advantage of that.
You should...Even if there's a very small chance you improve your routine, you gotta take it...
Yes good point.
I'm so glad I managed to get another session in. I got a better routine on video, one with no drops. My safety had one drop, but I was satisfied with it. That is, until Ken mentioned the above bit, and until Daniel posted he recorded a drop-less routine. Thanks to both of you for pushing me.

I'm not sure how I will place, but here are my thoughts on the routine I submitted. The routine
1. has some decent stuff in it (e.g.,1-5 add tricks),
2. has definite cues that I managed to hit,
3. has no drops, and
4. is more difficult than my 2017 routine.

I believe the deadline has just passed. Now it is a waiting game.

Ken also mentioned that even if I wasn't able to get a better routine, I would have more routine practice under my belt. This was also correct; if I make it to finals, I will have had that much more practice for the next one.

All in all, a great day.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Re: Kankeri Japan

Post by boyle » 05 Jul 2020 02:51

Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut! Though it was that same sort of talk which made me go out and try a few more times when I already had a decent routine in the bag.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Jul 2020 11:22

So worlds is exciting! Routine qual vids have been posted. Interesting that Landes scratched, as that now opens up that pool. Some of the Michigan crew scratched too, which is too bad.

In my pool Dominick seems to have come through with a routine. Glad to hear that he may not be sick. However also not so glad to watch the routine; not sure mine can compete. Lavers crossed!
TJ Boutorwick

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 05 Jul 2020 12:15

yeah Dominik tried friday and was unable to play, but managed to do something saturday, results will be posted within 24 hours
Mathieu Gauthier

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Jul 2020 12:44

acxel22 wrote:
05 Jul 2020 12:15
yeah Dominik tried friday and was unable to play, but managed to do something saturday, results will be posted within 24 hours
Nice. As I mentioned, glad to see him get something in. It is better for the sport if we have more people competing. It's not a good idea at any rate to compare yourself to other people (despite this being a competition against other people). I know that the routine I submitted is probably one of my best, and better than 2017. That shows me personal development which is all I can ask for.

Lavers (still) crossed!
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jul 2020 13:56

Let's see what the judges say, you could well go through. Maybe would have been good to be in a different pool!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Jul 2020 15:06

Ha, yea we will see. I don't think any pool would have been better than the other...unless maybe pool B since Landes scratched?

I love the feeling of waiting to find out!
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Jul 2020 19:34

So routine results have been posted and I didn't make the cut. I placed third, meaning I am within the top 15 players this year for routines. That is a number I can live with, for the aforementioned reasons. We are still waiting to find out Shred-off and sick 3, so I am not out completely yet.

EDIT: and, of course, shred 30 hasn't happened yet either.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jul 2020 21:20

I believe they are going to post the full scores at some point, I have a feeling you would probably have been close to Pawel, as he had a couple of drops.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 06 Jul 2020 01:10

boyle wrote:
05 Jul 2020 21:20
I believe they are going to post the full scores at some point, I have a feeling you would probably have been close to Pawel, as he had a couple of drops.
I see. Well we will see! I hope they give individual scores instead of total (which I assume they will).
TJ Boutorwick

SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SlashC » 09 Jul 2020 09:02

Here are the comments from facebook on your routine for your reference:
Daniel Boyle - Nice movement across the stage. I was hoping it was going to be a Rocky style entrance when you came out through the boxing bags!

Rory Dawson - Very relaxed! My favorite part was the head butt. A rocky style entrance would have been cool, but next time I think you should start the routine on the wall like spiderman.

Ryan Morris - So smooth and controlled!! Wouldn't expect anything else from TJ.
Also, here is an instagram post that shows the scores: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCTdrN6obwV/

I was surprised to have placed 4th in our pool since I was injured and had to come up with a new routine at the last minute. To summarize our feelings about this competition we should submit a remotely filmed doubles routine to this song ;) https://youtu.be/xubrxJwLxaI (In The end - Linkin Park)
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 09 Jul 2020 14:34

SlashC wrote:
09 Jul 2020 09:02
Here are the comments from facebook on your routine for your reference:
Daniel Boyle - Nice movement across the stage. I was hoping it was going to be a Rocky style entrance when you came out through the boxing bags!

Rory Dawson - ... A rocky style entrance would have been cool, but next time I think you should start the routine on the wall like spiderman.

Ryan Morris - So smooth and controlled!! Wouldn't expect anything else from TJ.
Also, here is an instagram post that shows the scores: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCTdrN6obwV/

Thanks for this! I'll have to work on the new entrances...I could even see myself breaking through the wall like the Kool-aid Man. Great ideas to think about/practice.
SlashC wrote:
Very relaxed! My favorite part was the head butt.
Haha, glad you liked the head butt. Next time I will bsauce it.
SlashC wrote:
I was surprised to have placed 4th in our pool since I was injured and had to come up with a new routine at the last minute.
Yeah, as I mentioned, it would be nice to see a more detailed breakdown of the scores. Your routine was great by the way. I had a smile on my face for the duration, and thought you did a great job keeping to the beat. I liked the hula hoops too.
SlashC wrote:
To summarize our feelings about this competition we should submit a remotely filmed doubles routine to this song ;) https://youtu.be/xubrxJwLxaI (In The end - Linkin Park)
That would be great! I used to listen to that album with GFSmoothie while we kicked. Those were some great times. Imagine how great it will be when we get really good at the routine and can incorporate Mathieu's around the world (that he invented)!
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 10 Jul 2020 22:37

Just got my shred-off video uploaded.

I have mixed feelings about the entry, and I think it stems from the fact that this round is 1-vs-1. Here are my thoughts:

Pawel is really good. I watched his previous entries and made notes about his tricks. I can't match them. Then again, it is not necessarily about doing better than someone; it is about showing your skills. On the other hand, it is exactly about doing better than someone, that is if you would like to advance to the next round.

With those thoughts in my head, I told myself I needed to hit 4s and 5s. I made it to the gym this morning at a little before 10. Things then got weird. My first choice of spot was taken until 10:30. That gave me about a 40-minute window of no kicking there, and I didn't want to putz around waiting. I went upstairs to the basketball court but it was booked from 10. I thus gave up on the gym and walked towards the center of campus. I was considering kicking outside but the spot where I normally kick, in the hub, was shaded and thus too cold for comfort. Next I considered going to my next back up but remembered that security has been tighter and they had more doors locked around campus. My ID doesn't give me access to that spot so didn't want to risk heading there just to be denied. I decided to play in the spot we sometimes hack. Weird progression of events that led to my final shred spot.

On a side note, I am so lucky to have like 5 possible shred spots - all but 1 being indoors - all in walking distance from each other.

I did manage to hit more 4s and 5s on video than I have done in a long time. I had way more footage than 2 minutes, so I will get those into another clip. In the end, I kept the longest clips at the expense of variety. There are a handful of shorter clips where I hit moves not in my entry, but I thought longer runs would be nicer to include. I think my entry helps to show me that I am still developing and getting better, and that is the most satisfying thing.

At any rate, realistically if I were to make it through this next round (which is not likely), the subsequent round would kick my ass. Some people are SO good at footbag!

Competing in Worlds has been great for my mental game; I have shown more emotion that I have in a while (including anger!). It has also motivated me to get more structure into my training. I have been kicking fairly casually and haven't been expanding my trick selection.

Next entry: Shred 30! This should be easier mentally considering that my goal was to get a 200-point shred 30 on camera, and not try to bust harder than Pawel!

In closing, here is my submission for Shred-off Top 16:

TJ Boutorwick

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 12 Jul 2020 06:58

This 1v1 format for Shred-off is wild. Thats a great entry! The first link is awesome. Really like your drifter form, and loved the mid-string fairy rake. Good luck, hope you get to the next round!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 12 Jul 2020 13:04

cammel wrote:
12 Jul 2020 06:58
This 1v1 format for Shred-off is wild. Thats a great entry! The first link is awesome. Really like your drifter form, and loved the mid-string fairy rake. Good luck, hope you get to the next round!
Thanks for that. Yeah as I mentioned I rarely go for 5s, let alone link them together so was happy to get all of those. I think the alpine smoke may have been a first for me.
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

お疲れ様

Post by C-Fan » 13 Jul 2020 12:04

Nice work on the Round of 16 Shred Off; the increased density and difficulty were very noticeable.   
Tjuggles wrote:
12 Jul 2020 13:04
. I think the alpine smoke may have been a first for me.
Props!  It stood out as my fav trick in the video for sure.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Jul 2020 18:42

alpine smoke was great, liked the run before that too, it had a lot of contacts and a few more unique kind of tricks.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: お疲れ様

Post by Tjuggles » 14 Jul 2020 00:07

C-Fan wrote:
13 Jul 2020 12:04
Nice work on the Round of 16 Shred Off; the increased density and difficulty were very noticeable.   
Thanks, Ken. It is good to hear someone else say that, and not have it just be a thought in my head. Each run was basically the same in terms of variety, despite being able to hit more that what was in the video. Oh well; I can't have it all. Additionally, happy with my entries, so no regrets.
C-Fan wrote:
13 Jul 2020 12:04
Tjuggles wrote:
12 Jul 2020 13:04
I think the alpine smoke may have been a first for me.
Props!  It stood out as my fav trick in the video for sure.
Thanks! Ducking/diving + drifter is a cool combo of components to put together. I can really feel a pocket that forms for the bag to go through.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 15 Jul 2020 22:02

Two-part post. Part I emotion.

Fuck FUCK. I admit defeat; I am not able to record a fucking 200 point shred. Boo. Fuck. What a shit feeling. But also what a great feeling to have something in my life like footbag that makes me emotional like this.

Shred 30 is hard, especially when you can't string 30 tricks together to save your fucking life.

TBC after I upload my like shred 24. Sigh.

EDIT_______________________________
Part II of the two-part post.

So the 'like 24' shred was not 24, rather more like 26 or 7, including 2 drops.

So, now that a day has passed, things have calmed down. In fact, the last week has been laughable in terms of Murphy's Law coming into full effect. Between camera battery diminishing, forgetting my shred 30 list I wrote on paper, having rooms be full and not kickable, and not sleeping well, it is no surprise I didn't get the shred 30 I wanted filmed. On the other hand, there are some great outtakes of me cursing at myself. In the end I am glad I participated for sure, and also feel great that I managed to get entries in for all of the events I registered for.

I definitely underestimated shred 30 and displayed poor time management skills. Oh well, there is always next year! In fact, now that I have this momentum, I think it would be great to continue working on shred 30, routines and sick 3.
TJ Boutorwick

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 17 Jul 2020 15:04

argg, sorry to hear about the frustrating shred 30 session! But I definitely agree with the feeling that its great to have something like footbag in your life that can make you emotional like this. definitely a lifesaver for me right now with no end in sight for our coronavirus lockdown.. looking forward to the shred 27 video!