Australian Footbag Championships 2006 - A Shred Documentary

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Australian Footbag Championships 2006 - A Shred Documentary

Post by BalinorNZ » 05 May 2006 00:54

Hey modified!

At long last I have finished my Aussie nationals movie :)

Length: 35 minutes 16 seconds - now finally uploaded to youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8MOkKpzMg0

Sections(1 section = 1 song pretty much):
1. Intro
2. Players section 1
3. "Why do you play footbag"
4. Players section 2
5. Dylan Fry (Canada) section
6. Dan Ednie (Australia) section
7. Jeremy O'Wheel (Australia) section
8. Phil Morrison (New Zealand) section 1
9. Phil Morrison (New Zealand) section 2
10. Outro
11. Surprise section staring another famous NZ player and featuring the antics of Floyd Morgan
12. Credits

I spent 50-60 hours editing this movie so please spend half an hour to watch it and give me some criticism, both positive and negative!

Only part of the learning is done while editing a video, the rest is learned through audience feedback :)

I hope you enjoy it!

EDIT: Yay for 2000 posts!
Last edited by BalinorNZ on 26 Dec 2014 17:54, edited 5 times in total.

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 05 May 2006 01:08

Downloading now. Can't wait to see what you've done, and re-live such an awesome event.
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams

Uranos
Flower Child

Post by Uranos » 05 May 2006 01:40

Super effort. Dwl now.

Hey Gareth, yeah it was an awesome tournament!
Alex Urano

gatapia
Hack Fiend

Post by gatapia » 05 May 2006 03:30

World class mate. Well done. Love the JM at the end. Fukn stoked bout this.

Guido

Guest_2
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Guest_2 » 05 May 2006 12:35

haha! I just started to watch it so I can't comment!

But the Benny & Joon beginning music made me sooo happy! :-D

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 05 May 2006 12:43

WHoops posted in the wrong thread! Well here it is in the right one. :oops:

Good introes! You really wanna see what gonna come.

Whats up with that "Why do you play footbag?"? Where does it come from?

Something Ending On Whirl > Reverse Walkover is a styley link!

How many hours did you film for this video?

Fry's section was a dissapointment. HE IS SO GOOD! I really liked the intro to this one and the idea with incorporating the juggling was cool.

Dan Ednies section was really tight. His celebrations are cool.

O'Wheel! Oh Wow! His game looks so much better now, not so chaotic but still sooooo sick. The music fitted so well!

That guy Phil Morrison is good. he got some hangtime! PS Whirl looks soooo easy.

MURPHY! SUCH A COOL STYLE! He did some of the coolest moves I have seen! Dont wonna write any spoilers. The section ill came back to!!!

Did you miss it? Yeah, i was filming girls!

Overall really great editing!

THANKS!

What a long post.

Smurfy
Hack Fiend

Post by Smurfy » 05 May 2006 16:43

Thanks again for making this video Nick, sounds like you put alot of work into it.
Everyone seems to be improving over there, was especually suprised to see Dans section, keep it up man! Love my section and its good to finally see some floyd in a video, man hes good at hack :)

Cheers dude,
Johnny
J-Money
bap 04

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 05 May 2006 17:00

Cool video! Great to see some new Dan footage. I really enjoyed that section. He's got some goofy ass barroques. :D

I like how in footbag movies any mediocre juggling gets featured because it's a footbagger doing it. :lol: Didn't know that Dylan 3-balled, though. Rubenstein's was sweet.

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 05 May 2006 17:18

damn Nick, i feel i should be paying you for this. Thankfully, you're a nice guy :lol:. The video was really amazing, i've never seen a full length project before and this was a hell of a way to start. Editing and shred was really good, my only complaint that i could come up with was that i really hated the remix of I Know You Got Soul, but it's a biased opinion. I've been listening to the original for 2 years non stop so anything else pretty much sucks to me :wink:
Matt Kemmer

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 05 May 2006 18:29

Oh, man... the memories!
Very cool video. The editing was really good and, well, the shred was sweet too.
My only complaint was the audio levels peaking out. You should probably drop the levels a touch to stop that crackeling and popping with loud noises. Do that, and I'll buy a copy on DVD and a Toby bag, too!
Anyway, thanks for all the hard work, Nic. Top effort

Gareth Williams

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 05 May 2006 18:51

Thanks guys! This feedback is awesome :D

I'll try to address some of the things bought up.

Audio cutting: Sorry about that, it didn't cut in premiere it was only after I exported it that the auto levels went a little whack, I made some attempts to fix it, but didn't have enough time to export it again several more times to get it perfect in the end. If I knew a bit more about audio I think I would have done a better job ;).

Whydoyouplayfootbag: I think it was first done in a euros video by Bjorn a year or so back, all I remember is there was 4square in the video and 'whydoyouplayfootbag', he interviewed andrew grant in that video :).

Hours Filming: Well I came back with 15 full tapes I think, and I pause recording between players strings to save tape so it was probably at least 20 hours filming. Then I had 3 tapes of footage from Hacky Richard and 3 further tapes from Jesse Malouf so I had a total of about 20 hours raw footage. After spending like a week ripping the tapes I ended up with about 6 hours of video worthy footbag... lol as you can imagine a HUGE amount didn't make it into the video, especially from Phil.

Dylan Fry: It was cool to have Dylan there, he is a super nice guy. His gf was there though and because of this he didn't play very much at all. Pretty much all the video worthy footage I had of him went into the video and the juggling I used to flesh it out a bit and so you woulden't realise he only had like 3 or 4 strings lol.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 May 2006 22:26

Great video, Nic!
I loved the non-footbag footage -- you had almost a perfect balance! Somebody posted an 11 minute video on Putfile recently and lots of people felt that it had too much non-footbag footage. I agreed, but you seem to focus on the best and most appropriate of the shred and also the most appropriate non-footbag material. I loved the intro and outro, and I loved the "Why do you play footbag", and every other non-shred moment. Phil's answer was GOOOOOD!

One thing that I felt the most distracting for me was that you used a lot of really different music, and the audio transitions were really weak -- it seemed like you would just cut out of a song before it was even over, only to start another. I kind of like how you cut up the intro song to continue at the end (right?), but I wasn't able to appreciate this until the end -- when it first cut out it just felt like I was left hanging.

My best memory from watching this video, aside from the Phil footage, was seeing how amazing Jesse has become! I never realized how strong his game was!! WOW! Prime style too! I never knew you were such a solid shuffle player either Nic. Double pickups too! Woo!

Phil is awesome to watch. His moves aren't unbelieveable unique, but he has some kind of relentless energy to him. It's very invigorating, and I probably really liked the music you used for his section too. It was great to see Alex Uranos footage -- I'm not sure I've seen him play before, or not much anyway (still not enough though...). It was nice seeing Johnny yoo -- he seems to be a lot more bothsided! I can't remember if I saw Dan Ednie in the video, but I remember someone playing uncannily like Ales, so that must have been him? I'm going to have to watch this a lot more, and I probably should have commented right after I watched it, because I am probably leaving out a lot of what I would like to say.

I think that's about it.
Awesome job Nic, and shredders!
And thank you so much for sharing this for free :)

:!:

PS: Oh yeah! Dylan Fry! That's who I meant -- not Phil's answer -- Dylan's :p Dylan is so awesome. If I remember there was really chill music to his section too? Good stuff. And seeing Jeremy O'Wheel shred was great also -- I was so floored by sumo > your mom!

sniikeri
Lauri Jii

Post by sniikeri » 06 May 2006 01:56

Asmus wrote:WHoops posted in the wrong thread! Well here it is in the right one. :oops:
And you fooled me to post in the wrong thread aswell! :x :? :lol:

here's my post:

I had watched about half of it until MediaPlayer suddenly stopped playing it. :(
I think there's something wrong with my downloading, it felt too fast...maybe it just quit downloading there, I don't know.

Anyways, everything from start to Jeremy O'Wheel's part was super-well edited and the shredding overall was tight.
Alex Urano's feet/legs remind me of Riku Ahola, although the tricks are different. (Maybe Alex is Riku's secret twinbrother from Japan?) :D

The Australian scene seems to be doing well - a lot of good players, a lot of different styles.
Thanks for this video.

I think I'll try to download this again tomorrow.

P.S. I don't know either where this "Why do you play footbag?" comes from but apparently it's a tournament video tradition. :) I'd also like to know where this originally came from.
(In the Worlds'05 video there were modified versions of this, eg "Why do you hate footbag?")
Lauri Jaakkola

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 06 May 2006 03:05

I wouldn't say the Australian scene is going well, IMO.
Australia is about the same size as the USA (if not North America), and yet... you've pretty much seen the australian footbag scene.
It's not big.
I WOULD say, however, that the players that make the Australian (and New Zealand) scene are all of a solid, to high, standard. And props to each and every one of them.

Gareth Williams

setman
Banned user

Post by setman » 06 May 2006 03:42

I DO LOVE IT !
Kamil Hucal

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 06 May 2006 04:06

I would say the Australian scene is doing very well! You have new players as well as veterans and it's very organised over there, you have a website and a forum and an organising commitee, the fact that you had a national even in the first place shows that things are pretty organised in Australia.
I don't think you can really compare Australia to the USA when there is a population differance of 275,643,697 people.

Non-footbag footage: Yeah I tried really hard to get a balance of footbag and non-footbag in there, I tested it on some non-footbag players and they really enjoyed it, which indicated there was enough non-footbag in there to keep them interested. I tried to make sure anything non-footbag was really funny or relevant.

Audio transitions: Yeah this again comes down to my lack of audio knowledge :lol:! I tried to fade the music to take some harshness out of the cuts but really the only way is to cut at the right place in the song, which is hard when you don't edit entirely around the music you pick. A few of the people I showed parts to before the release said the same thing, but they tended to be people that were into editing :). Thanks for pointing that out :)

Dan and Alex: Dan Ednie had his own section, he was the guy with yellow shorts to the mission impossible song :). I have a lot more Alex, Jesse, Ian and Me footage that I didn't use, I wanted to make a 3rd players section but I ran out of time, and the video seemed long enough how it was :).

It's nice to know you liked my shuffel Erik :) it is one thing I want to improve on, I think stepping, fairy and atomic provide a good mix.

philo~!
Hack Fiend

Post by philo~! » 06 May 2006 08:38

I really enojoyed the video, thanks for putting it together Nic. I liked the editing and was surprised to see the wikid johnny footage! He is getting pretty damn good.

Hope to see more in the future.

Phil Morrison

sniper4life
Multidex Master

Post by sniper4life » 06 May 2006 09:50

I thought the video was amazingly done and I loved seeing the Australian players who I would never get to see.

Etai Dvora
Circle Kicker

Post by Etai Dvora » 06 May 2006 12:38

Totally awesome video! This is the first footbag documentary I've seen, and i really really liked it! I liked those little interview parts, it showed what the shredders are like to people who don't know them (like me). Again, awesome job!

-Etai Dvora
(who just hit his first clipper bsos)

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 06 May 2006 13:19

Yah, a big 'wtf' to the Eric B & Rakim remix. I guess it wasn't horrible, though.

Loved the vid, though, bro. Great vibes, and that Morrison cat has got some skill.