learning the flipside

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

savagesocks
Circle Kicker

learning the flipside

Post by savagesocks » 02 Jan 2007 13:25

well, in the few months ive been playing i thought i had a pretty solid grasp on the basics and some bigger stuff (for me) like swirl, whirl, pixies, ducks, and such. There was only one problem...I only learned it all on one side :( !!!

Now that i realize the importance of learning everything on both sides ive stopped going for bigger tricks and am trying to string the stuff i already know together on both sides, but im having trouble learning it all on the opp. side. I can sometimes hit them but they're really sloppy and feel wierd. Any tips on how to think about it while practicing?
keep on keepin on

beenjammin
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by beenjammin » 02 Jan 2007 15:25

ONe word man
DRILL 8)
It just takes time, a lesson you will learn soon enough. Keep on keepin on Dude! Focus and Control.
"Every cereal is my favorite cereal"
Ben Rinowski

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 14 Jan 2007 01:13

I did the same thing, but I caught myself a bit earlier than you did. One thing that really helped me learn, and alot faster, was to study your strong side. Try something flipside, and then try it strong side, look at all the differences that makes one work, and not the other. I learned how to flipside mirage in roughly the same day as I started trying it, concentrating on the differences.

Playing without thinking, just going over and over again will take you as long to learn as it did when you first learned the trick in the first place.
Jay Boychuk

ObArA'BaRs
Flower Child

Post by ObArA'BaRs » 15 Jan 2007 10:48

copy your strong side. Pay attention to every little detail of your strong side and try to copy it to your flip. If it doesnt look the same it aint right.
Im 20
JSACK wrote: wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin.......

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 16 Jan 2007 09:48

DRILL DRILL DRILL!!! I learned all the foundation stuff strong side and began stuff like whirl and drifter, which i felt was a lil out of order for me.

one particular drill that helped my flipside:
mtoolan wrote:I've worked out this kind of drilling regimen. I have a cd playing and each move gets its own song. It goes like this:

Song 1: Kicking
Song 2: ATW
Song 3: Flip ATW
Song 4: Legover
Song 5: Flip Legover
Song 6: Mirage
Song 7: Flip Mirage
Song 8: Clipper
Song 9: Flip Clipper
Song 10: Butterfly
Song 11: Flip Butterfly
Song 12: Kicking
Song 13: Stretching

And once I dial one move I'll replace it with another. Except for the kicking and stretching. Also, all the songs are 5+ minutes so they all get a good amount of time. I plan to do this 1 or 2 times a day. Then I can move on to bigger and better moves and start forming some good lines.
give it a try, it helped me a ton, maybe it can help you too!

Joe Bielecki
Hack Fiend

Weak leg/strong leg

Post by Joe Bielecki » 18 Aug 2008 08:01

I'm new first of all and this seemed like the best place to put this so sorry if its not.

Anyway, I've been trying to get into free style however my left leg is way less cordinated and a lot weaker than my right. This is the result of only using my right for a year... So now I'm wondering if there is a way I can get the muscle memory in my left leg without having to waste a year?

Sorry again if this is in the wrong place. :? :?

[merged with learning the flipside - Frank_]

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 18 Aug 2008 08:26

I am currently reworking my foundation (tiltless tricks) so that I have no weak side any more. The sooner you do this the better. I recommend doing drills that involve repetition and symmetry.

Example: mirage-legover, repeat. You will not only grow sick of dropping it on your weakside, but you will have insight and confidence from consistently hitting it on your good side. Also, this makes good practice for your onside, as you will be more inclined to catch the delay better in order maintain yourself for the harder tricks.

Good luck! Practice! practice! practice!

Joe Bielecki
Hack Fiend

Post by Joe Bielecki » 18 Aug 2008 08:31

Souds good, what about workouts to strengthen (sp?) my leg also, (Aside from lunges and squats)

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 18 Aug 2008 08:55

This might sound boring, but if you really want good results it'll probably require you to do some boring stuff.

I don't know what level your left leg is at, so I'll just give you general stuff to work on to strengthen the leg muscles.

Kick with only your left leg using all the surfaces (inside, outside, toe).
Do kicking drills with each surface exclusively with and without planting your leg. (i.e. Inside kicks with planting between each kick | Outside kicks without planting)
Hold your leg in inside and outside kick position for as long as possible. You can also move your foot up and down slowly while holding it in inside or outside position.
You'll also want to do consecutive toe stalls with plants and without.

I suggest doing these until your muscles feel like they are on fire.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 18 Aug 2008 12:21

Going along with what Ben and Ian have said, bsos drills and starting strings with your left foot is a great way to gradually bring that left leg up to speed.

One really amazing beginner bsos drill that helped me dramatically when I was new was

:arrow: op clipper>ss pickup>repeat

The cool thing about it is you can sub some of the moves in and out as you get better. Like put in ss legovers where the pickups used to be. Or change the clipper to butterfly. But it's a great drill that works both sides, gives you 4 contacts, and you can repeat it as long as you want in order to get those titlless contacts up.

Also keep records of you consecutive clippers, both strong and flipside. Try to keep breaking your flipside consecutive clipper record, that helps a lot too.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Joe Bielecki
Hack Fiend

Post by Joe Bielecki » 18 Aug 2008 12:39

Can I get a video of you doin that just so I know

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 18 Aug 2008 13:40

Can you say please? Sheesh lol.

So, here it is on vid. Sorry for the crappy shred quality I've had some health and injury issues which have prevented me from playing much in the past couple months.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNtcRJP8nvY[/youtube]

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 18 Aug 2008 23:56

You really expect someone completely new to hit Clipper > far pickup, as a drill? I'm pretty sure I hit pdx mirage before far pickup, not to mention how long it took me to hit clipper bs! :)

so new guy, if what you see on the video seems beyond your level, it probably is, don't worry about it.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Joe Bielecki
Hack Fiend

Post by Joe Bielecki » 19 Aug 2008 05:46

I'm pretty sure I might be able to hit it, pobly not as a drill, but I might hit it.

Thanks a lot for the vid chris you did seem sick so I really hope that It works for me.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 19 Aug 2008 06:49

InfecedTofu wrote:You really expect someone completely new to hit Clipper > far pickup, as a drill? I'm pretty sure I hit pdx mirage before far pickup, not to mention how long it took me to hit clipper bs! :)

so new guy, if what you see on the video seems beyond your level, it probably is, don't worry about it.
Lol are you serious? I guess you neither read the post or watched the video. It was clipper> SAME SIDE pickup.

Joe: I mis-read your post, I thought for some reason you'd said you've been playing for a year. This drill will be good as soon as you can hit clipper on both sides, and same side pickup, legover, etc.

Anyway, regardless of your level I don't think you need to do anything to 'strengthen' your other leg except drilling the same concepts on that leg, and maybe a little more so.

Your welcome, hope it helps when you're ready.
Last edited by shredzilla on 19 Aug 2008 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 19 Aug 2008 07:07

Yeah I got the pickup wrong, but I was only trying to point out that clipper based drills are more advanced compared to the the kick and toe drills that were suggested earlier. The amount of progress people make in a year's time is very subjective, who knows what the guy's level is.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Joe Bielecki
Hack Fiend

Post by Joe Bielecki » 19 Aug 2008 10:55

I've been kicking for a year, but not freestyle

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 19 Aug 2008 12:12

Personally I hit far legover consistently for a year before I was hitting paradox mirage mid-string.

Also, I find that a lot of single-dex moves are easier to set out of clipper than toe, though drilling toes is particularly important in the beginning for your foundation.

Good advice Chris. Hope your injuries are recovering well.

Baller Buddy
Circle Kicker

Post by Baller Buddy » 09 Oct 2008 14:53

I would defiantly try and do them in the air without the bag. If you do this enough it should feel right and thus making it easier to do with the bag. If you use the bag it may be discouraging dropping it so many times when you can do it on the other side. Just remember from now on, practice BOTH SIDES :wink: :wink:
Matt E

A friend, A baller, A shredder

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 12 Nov 2008 14:20

It's good that you caught this early. I didn't catch on to the importance of flipside until a few years in. The last several years have been spent catching the flipside up. Just do it over and over and over again. Your muscle memory will build and the tricks will become less awkward. Watching videos to see how a trick is performed is also very helpful.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley