Rubber footbag mats??

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Muffinman
the gimp

Rubber footbag mats??

Post by Muffinman » 29 Apr 2007 00:33

Hey, I've seen players shredding on rubber mats in videos. I'm particularly thinking of a Richie Abshire/Jason Crook/Aaron Orton video and of those PlanetFootbag mats in European videos, and the rubber mats that Eli used in his garage in those old videos from when he lived in San Diego...

Do lots of players use rubber mats for outdoor play? Older players who've endured multiple injuries? I want something that will absorb the shock of dancing on cement every second day all summer long...

Does anybody have ANY leads whatsoever?
I did a quick Google and found this: http://www.greatmats.com/products/rubbe ... cking.html
It looks kinda promising, but how can you know from a website, right? I will check out stores when I get home in a couple weeks, but if anybody knows any anything that works, that would be keen. I'm also not sure how to go about testing mats for shredability at, say, Home Depot...

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 29 Apr 2007 07:45

i thiiiink youre talking about these:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

if you are, they arent rubber... they are foam. they take a little getting used to because theyre light and kinda shift around when you play but after a bit you get used to how you place your weight. im thinking there could be a way to mount these onto the ground for less shifting.

but if youre wanting rubber... these are the mats that go under exercise equipment in gyms:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

it says you can use double stick tape to keep them held down.

someone aim'd me yesterday and we were talking about how him and richie shred on mats. when he told me this, i was thinking of those expensive footbag mats you can buy... but he said i could go to lowes and get them really cheap... he said i could get all grey... or i could get multi colors. so i think the first link is what he was talking about.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

RawSko
Green Footbag Ninja

Post by RawSko » 29 Apr 2007 09:13

I don't think those are what Erik is talking about, but that's what I plan on getting. It's way cheeper, and it seems like they would work alright. Certainly an option.

I think I know the mats your talking about though, Erik. I know that they're really expensive and hard to find... but that's about it. I was hunting for one a while back too, but I didn't find anything better than those puzzle piece tiles that Holly linked to. Sorry I can't help anymore than that
Ben Roscoe

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 29 Apr 2007 10:38

Yes. I'm kicking with Richie and the guys now, and we shred on the puzzle piece foam mats Holly linked to. I was going to make a seperate thread soon actually in the Health and Injuries section, but I wanted to have enough sessions on them to give an accurate analysis.

I get HORRIBLE shin splints. I'd venture to say they're some of the worst in the game, rivaling those that Ryan Thomas had. Since I've been shredding on the mats, my shins have felt better than ever! The splints haven't entirely gone away yet, but they're very mild and hardly there at all. I have confidence that in time, they will go away completely.

The mats are a tad hard to get used to in the first session or two, but then that feeling completely disappears. Now I can't shred without them, and they actually make it more enjoyable. They're even great for busking/demo type stuff.

You can buy 4 of them for 18 dollars at Lowe's in America. I imagine the Canadian equivalent Lowe's or Home Depot may have them as well. I bought 4 sets of them, making 16 total, which is the number of tiles we shred on, and that gives you plenty of room to move around. They put more life into your shoes and limbs. HIGHLY recommended.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

freestyler4life
BSOS Beast

Post by freestyler4life » 29 Apr 2007 11:50

http://getrung.com/

well, these aren't rubber, but I like'em

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 30 Apr 2007 16:33

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Actually, just after I posted, I noticed that you can request free samples from the website I posted...and so I should have a free 4'X6' rubber mat arriving in the mail in a couple weeks :twisted:

It's, like, 1/2-inch thick, with, like, slip resistance and all this jazz that sounds super fun...like, I guess they make professional rubber flooring for gyms and sport facilities...so -- YEAH!

Not sure how it will work outdoors, though...so thanks for that tip on double sided tape? I dunno...we'll see how things go, and then I can suggest stuff for other people who are interested. I dunno if 4'X6' is enough either...it sounds like a TAD too small.

Johnny Suderman said he would bring me some of his rubber puzzle piece flooring to try out...so I'll see about that too. And, I thought stuff was going to be expensive, too, but it looks like it's, like, $3 USA for, like, 4'X4'.... so, I'm totally going to get SOMETHING...
I'll look at some hardware stores when I get home...I think I said that already...but thought I would mention the freebie on that site!

flockpocken
Shredalicious

Post by flockpocken » 30 Apr 2007 16:51

i was walking around my house today and noticed that i have some of these... they are under our treadmill

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 01 May 2007 04:59

Erik Chan wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys.
Actually, just after I posted, I noticed that you can request free samples from the website I posted...and so I should have a free 4'X6' rubber mat arriving in the mail in a couple weeks :twisted:
If it's too small.....have a friend order samples for you ;)
As the universe is curved, there cannot be a straight answer...

-Robert Baker-

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 01 May 2007 08:21

my free samples were 4"x6", not quite big enough to shred on.

I got my mats from getrung.com

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 08 May 2007 13:39

Ha, yeah my sample was 4 inches x 6 inches as well. Oh well. I'm seriously thinking of getting a mat. My sample was actually quite shitty for Footbag but I got a pamphlet with promising options.
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 08 May 2007 15:25

He he. We don't know imperial up here in Canada. Inches? Feet? I'm sure Erik's sample will be 10 cm x 15 cm.

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 08 May 2007 17:12

Heh, let's just say that my sample fits in my Laver's Toe Box. :lol:
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

RawSko
Green Footbag Ninja

Post by RawSko » 08 May 2007 17:28

It just occured to me that those puzzle pieces would have been great at the Weed March Jam in Toronto, just to keep people from walking through the middle of the circle. It would set boundaries. that would be cool in itself....
Ben Roscoe

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 10 May 2007 12:56

they work awesome to define a space.

Even in berkeley where the pedestrian is king, they still respect the puzzle mats and walk around them.

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 10 May 2007 18:14

I bought a $17 set a while back, but 4' x 4' just wasn't enough (1.3m x 1.3m). It wasn't enough to really shred on.

A week ago I bought two more sets. Now I can make a 6' x 8' (1.83m x 2.44m) mat, which suits me fine.

I finally played on them tonight. WOW. Montana beat the hell out of my shins and I haven't been able to play for more than 20 minutes without shin pain bad enough to make me want to quit, unless I take advil beforehand. I took a good hour and 30 minutes tonight before my shins began to feel anything, and it was just a tingle. And that was without any pain medication.

I'm going to shred on these EVERY chance I get. Woohoo!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

EDIT: Because people asked: I bought them at Lowe's hardware store. It's a national chain like Home Depot. Look in the carpet section of your local hardware store. They are puzzle piece type. I'll snap a pic tonight and post it.
Last edited by Iron Clad Ben on 11 May 2007 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 11 May 2007 05:19

Just to corroborate what everyone else is saying, Tom and I grabbed some of those puzzle piece dealies at WALMART for 12 bucks for a pack of 4. Now admittedly, some of the are a pinch misshapen, but for 12 bucks a pack it's pretty difficult to go wrong.

And Ben, what a phenomenal idea. Let's turn back the clock and get some shred mats out for weed march, it'll be way more fun. :P
But seriously, I'll bring mine for next year for SURE.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip Hard 2: Skip Harder
Skip Hard With A Vengeance
Coming soon. Yippee-kieaye-eh?
Skip-blog

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 13 May 2007 20:35

DUDES, THE F&*#ING MATS!!!

I can't say enough good about them. Best investment in the health of my game so far, above $40 insoles and a water backpack. I've just shredded the past 4 days in a row, with minimal to no pain all thanks to the mats. Normally I can shred once every 3 days, and I'll get shin splints. Now, totally different story. Get them, get them, get them, get them! If you can't remember what it's like to finish a session without pain, it's time to get the mats, because there's nothing like that feeling lemme tell ya:

Available at major hardware stores, search lowes.com / homedepot.com / homedepot.ca for "foam mats"

Probably a great investment for the long term health of anyone's game. I know a guy here in Austin named Ariel who used to shred in the late 90s, presumably with Eli Piltz and Kyle Crawford, and he said he ultimately had to quit freestyle because he was getting shin splints and other injuries from playing on hard surfaces with shitty insoles and no support.

P.S. Good news:
Lowe's, the world's second largest home improvement retailer, is proud to announce our first international expansion, with plans to serve customers across Canada. We are planning to open six to ten stores in the greater Toronto area in 2007. In the years to come, we expect to open as many as 100 stores across Canada.

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 13 May 2007 21:08

Also available at Costco. I saw them yesterday for $20 for a package 8 of 2'X2' squares.
Pengpeng Du

verena
BSOS Beast

Post by verena » 15 May 2007 00:07

i've also got those mats in the basement of my parents' appartment building. they were really expensive, because they had to be shipped to austria. it's true that they are a bit better for my shins (i've got shin splints for four years now and can't seem to get rid of them), but also the surface itself is slippery and the mat slips a lot while playing. that's why i always have to duck tape the mat.

for me, it would still be the only solution to get my shin pains under control. since i prefer to play outside on public places in vienna and i don't live at home anymore, i hardly use those mats anymore. i've got four puzzle pieces and they are really huge, so i can't just carry them around.

the swiss crew has the best mats ever though. i'd really love to own one of them. they don't slip and are just perfect. unfortunately they are super expensive (one is like 400 $)...

my two cents. :P
Verena Lenneis

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 16 May 2007 21:55

Sounds like a good idea. Definately better than concrete.
Oliver Adams