David

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
david
Senor Buttercup

David

Post by david » 18 Sep 2004 16:53

Welcome to my footblog!

To be honest, when this idea first came out I didn�t like it. I didn�t think we needed another area to brag about what you were hitting and stuff, but as I began reading all the posts people were making, I realized it�s more a place to share your shred experiences and the fun you have, not the big combos you�ve been hitting. Going off that premise, my footblog isn�t going to be about me. Sure, I�ll be mentioned, but the real purpose is going to be to track the growing scene of freestyle footbag in Bethlehem, PA. First, some background.

Footbag in Bethlehem started between me and Ashley Danowski about a year and a half ago. Together, we progressed and became guiltless shredders, but Ashley moved to Florida in December of 2003. This left just me playing, and without anyone to play with at public events and such, I really didn�t have an outlet to show footbag and try to get people interested. No one at my high school even circle kicks, and for a few months Bethlehem footbag was basically just me on my patio.

But before worlds, something happened that I didn�t know would matter as much as it did. A kid named Bob from the college I live down the street from (Northampton Area Community College) e-mailed me and said he wanted to kick. He said he had been hacking for a few years and had found my website. I told him we�d get together after worlds.

And so we did. Bob had all his kicks down from basic circle kicking, and could do atws and inside stalls. It was awesome to have someone to teach and someone to shred with. Around September, bob introduced me to a kid named David, who lived in the dorms with bob. To my surprise Dave was just as good as Bob! It was awesome to uncover some kickers that literally were just down the street. I now session with Bob, Dave, and Dave�s friend Phil about once a week when they don�t have loads of homework. We basically just kick it around, but tricks are allowed, and everyone is learning 2�s and their basic stalls. It�s really fun to just relax and not worry about shredding.

So that�s a little introduction to what the Bethlehem scene is. Myself, and 3 circle kickers that I am trying to convert to shredders. If you want to read about our sessions together, I�ll post some stuff every time we get together.

Thanks for reading my blog!

-David Clavens
Last edited by david on 25 Mar 2008 18:24, edited 34 times in total.
david

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 10 Dec 2004 14:14

wowza,

talk about not updating stuff. i guess i just never thought about posting back in here, and plus, all those people at the college stopped kicking. so now its basically me again. crap.

well, ive been sick the past few days with some weird acid reflux stuff so i ahvent kicked at all. it sucks becuase i was playing really well before i stopped. eh, whatever.

im really looking forward to CP. im not sure if i should plan a shred 30 or just wing it like last year. ill probably do a little of both.

i cant really think of anything else to add, but if i get a cam for christmas maybe ill post vids in here. anyway, ill leave you all with a picture of me at worlds.

peace!
david

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 10 Dec 2004 14:24

ok, i just thought of something really cool. one of the things i think i want to dial when i get really good and make a part of my style is combos where one foot stays up the whole time. ex:

vortex>pdx. blender>reaper>pixie no plant ss clip>motion>ducking far legover

stuff like that. isnt that like the coolest? when one foot stays up the whole time? i really dig consequtive vortex's and stuff. thats super styly. speaking of that, i should really try to break my record. i hit 3 at funtasktiks and havent broken 2 since.

some other random stuff:

it is really cool that zach hoffa got like 10 kids into footbag, props to him.

i think that strings are way cooler then sick 3's.

budas best is really phat, alex let me borrow it.

damn, now i feel like writing about the east coast and everything about my shred and who i play with and admire and think is great! AH!!!!! crazy stuff. i guess ill have a lot of stuff to put in this blog. better then writing rap battles.

peace,

cleaver
david

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 10 Dec 2004 19:57

Word up, David.

I really like your no-planting string idea. It does sound very stylish. I did something like it once. I sprained my ankle the minute I started playing at Western Regional Championships in May 2000, but Goldberg encouraged me to compete anyway. I don't think he realized how badly I had hurt myself. But that first night I got to thinking about how I might be able to link a bunch of moves without ever having to stand on my right foot, so I tried to do a whole routine of no-planting strings. Of course I did very badly, but still managed to enjoy competing anyway. And I saw that there was potential there. You can work symposium whirls and mirages into those combos, and flyers too.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 11 Dec 2004 10:51

thanks for showing an intrest jon, i think its something im going to work on. pdx. drifter>symp whirl is a really cool link as well. you should come down to bethlehem some time for a basement shred.

in other news, im still really sick and i threw up this morning. blows.
david

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 15 Dec 2004 15:56

howdy.

im better now, and im not nearly as sick. this is good. lets cover some basic crap. chilly philly, my playing, and some cool random shit.

chilly philly : alright, i really want to go to this tournament but i dont know if ill have to pay for it all and if ill have rides both ways. sucks. i really want to go, but it could be like a 150 endevour. room x 2 + food. :( plus registation and stuff. w/e.

my playing : well, i played once since i got better. i started off like, actually shredding and then realized that you cant be sick for a week and be guiltless. soooooooo half hour of basics. then i just did tons of infinities, and then my mom said i was going to get sick again so i should stop. :( so i did. not much of a good session, but i probably hit like 50 contacts tiltless, but w/e.

random stuff : i had to make up a lot of stuff in school so i havent been shredding since the above shred... but i think i might tonight. maybe ill post highlights in here? idk, i never really got the point, it just seemed like bragging. but, lets make some goals.... ok, i want to be able to be back to guiltless by the end of the session.. and hm. blurry whirl>blurry drift both sides sounds like a good way to finish the session. i could hit that before, but idk after being sick and all. worth the tries though. coolness.

alright gangstas. feel free to comment and just talk about stuff, i want this to be a cool open blog thing. and if you want you can like, tell me cool stuff to do? idk, i just like ideas.

peace

david
david

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 15 Dec 2004 19:46

glad you are feeling better now as well! i thought i could go right back to guiltless after my injury. was a bit of a mistake, and my runs were never very long, but i'm back into full swing now. i would like you to hit blurry whirl> blurry drifter> rpt. that would be awesome, and once you get your strength back i think you could bust that so easy! any way, keep us in the loop guy, i like to know what's going on with my homies.
A.G.

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 15 Dec 2004 19:57

props on the double post lol. j/k. thanks for the reply. i skooled that stuff tonight, but couldnt manage the blurry whirl>blurry drift. i did hit blurry whirl>barfly bsos. since you said it andrew, i will make blurry whirl>blurry drift repeat my goal. ill try to hit it before CP. wish me luck.

ill keep you up to date on other stuff.

summary for tonight:
- shuffle almost back to normal
- some cool nuke stuff
- mobius practice
- spins are so off after a week of not playing
- mobius>stepping set is hard

=========== CLEAVER =============
david

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 15 Dec 2004 20:10

Hehe, `cleaver.`

Hm, I was just thinking that `maven glaven` would be a cool nickname for you. But you`d have to say it like Professor Frink. Dave `maven glaven` Clavens!

OK maybe not. :roll:

Yeah, the bloggage. I stopped posting in `new moves` and `new runs` once I started my blog. I kinda figured that if anybody cared about what I was hitting, they`d look at my blog, so why bother posting in the general areas. Actually, when I post what I hit in my blog, I mostly do it to illustrate the flow of my session. Like, if I`m excited/surprised to hit a bunch of new stuff early in the session, or if I have a lame session until the last 5 minutes, and I redeem it by hitting something new.

Too bad the dudes at your school stopped playing. I always find it so sad to see people stop... whether they`ve been at it a while, or if they quit before discovering their potential.

Mobius to stepping is really cool. I`ve never done that. I remember seeing vids of pete hitting mobius to blur, back in like 97, and thinking that was one of the best combos ever. Then in like 99 I saw Ahren hit barroque to blur, which looked even stylier.

Hey wait a minute, this isn`t my blog. :x Enough of my blathering. Back to Riboflavin Clavens. :P

PS- Hey Jon, didn`t you still manage to beat somebody at that tournament, despite only using one leg?

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 15 Dec 2004 23:37

PS- Hey Jon, didn`t you still manage to beat somebody at that tournament, despite only using one leg?
Nah, I think I was dead last... though I had more fun coming in last place than I usually do.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 19 Dec 2004 18:26

what up my gangstaaaaasssss

hi. this was a really sweet weekend. check it out.

saturday : went to the mall and knowcked out all my xmas shopping. felt SOOO much better since being sick. Ate some really good mall pretzels, used some gift certificates, sweet sweet. Then i played halo for like, 4 hours with some friends. My knees were a little off, so i didnt kick.

sunday : i woke up at like 12 to my parents discussing chilly philly. turns out im going on jan 1st (missing new years eve :() it rocks becuase i think my parents will toss me some money for it, which is great. Then i played halo with some friends till like 5. I thought i wouldnt session, but tada, i did. Actually, it was more like two sessions. Ill write out some cool stuff and what i skooled.

first session: 5:30 - 7:00
- skooled shred 30's
- went over some basics
- praticed some more spins
- went for some records
------------------------------
new stuff:
- rubberman to start a shred 30
- 11 flip spinning clips in a row
- a string with tons of ducks in it
- 8 consequetive ducking clips
- ducking infinites and diving butters all over

dinner

2nd session 8:00 - 9:00
This session started off horrible. i couldnt even hit like, pdx whirl>rip. it was really bad, but then it turned around and got sweet.
worked on:
- all my 5's
- linking 5's
- unique links
- 4's i dont do often
- stepping out of pdx. whirls

hit:
-blurry whirl>blurriest>spinning whirl>scorpians tail (w00t!)
-rubberman, and blurry whirl bsos
-ps whirl>ps whirl which i like, can never do
-spinning whirl>ps whirl both sides
-spinning whirl>blurry whirl>spinning whirl
-a few good steps out of mobius

anyway. it was a good night for lovin. i mean shred. i got some stuff done and chilly philly is going to be sweeeeeetttttt.

feel free to comment. blogs are fun!

-david
david

ashleyd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by ashleyd » 20 Dec 2004 17:38

blurry whirl>blurriest>spinning whirl>scorpians tail
damn kid... i like all your combos.
Ashley Danowski

"As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so life well spent brings happy death."

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 23 Dec 2004 17:58

hey.

8:50 p.m and its the day before xmas eve. phat!

some stuff:

i didnt shred yesterday becuase my knees hurt or something, but today i feel groovy. my shorts are very static clingy!

tonight i am going to put some work into ps whirl becuase i hate how i can never hit it. jorden thinks im all about 5's, but i think they just are like, cool. idk, i have a good grasp on 4's and stuff, so i figure 5's are the next step. matador>pdx. blend would be a good combo tonight, mayeb matador>ps whirl too.

the other day i skooled whirlwind, and didnt even hit one on either side, which sucked. that trick is so weird. i think the set is really key, and thinking of it as like, a little turn into a ps whirl. soooo thats why im skooling my ps whirls. i would die to hit like, ps whirl>whirlwind. i think thats one of the phattest combos.

i feel pretty good tonight. i think ill warm up for like 20 minutes, pratcie my shred 30 for like, 30 minutes, then warm up all my 4's and stuff, and then work myself int pdx. whirls and ps whirls. then finish with whirlwind and stuff. i want to start doing some spinning ducking so when i have whirlwind dialed i can hit montage. thats a cool 7. maybe ill do some spinning pdx. blenders too?

hm. good stuff.

i cant beleive that its almost xmas. i dont even feel like it man. crazy. i hope i get some cool stuff. if i get a cam (doubtful) ill pull a brad nelson and post little vids in here.

if anyone is reading this they should hit blurry drift>mobius.

if i have a crazy good sesh, ill repost, but its pretty hard for me to like, get nuts over stuff, but if i do something like ps whirl 4 times, ill repost.

peace, and happy holidays.
david

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 26 Dec 2004 10:55

ho ho ho. some stuff i got for xmas!

this is a sweet new boombox for shred tunes

my shoes, not new though. and a lonn.

my shred space

my xbox, tv, vcr, and tons of cords and shit

sick 03 and fourkast

new abshire! (mini)

happy holidays. blurry drifter>mobius both sides last night. w00t.

-david
david

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 29 Dec 2004 09:25

they call me dr d!

whats up? two days ago me, cheebs, justin, and pat had a phat session. they drove the 45 minutes just to see me! shizzle. heres a little summary:

12:30 : the shredders arrive late becuase cheebs wanted to sleep. for anyone who doesnt know, cheebs is chris kovacks. hes the intermediate world shred 30 champ or something. anyway, we all went to burger king down the street to get some healthy food for the shred.

1:00 back to my house. we all needed some time to digest, so me and pat played halo while chris and justin watched sick 03. after we finished that me and pat went downstairs with chris and justin and i put on my lavers and just messed around. i was super close to diving ddd and ducking barfly, it was really weird. i didnt want to hurt myself so i stopped trying them.

1:45 let the session begin! we all kicked in our seperate basement corners for a bit and then joined up and warmed up. everyone was just doing all their 2's and stuff, and then the real shred started. heres a synopsis of some highlights:

pat : not many people know pat, hes only 13 years old, but he can nail a lot of 2's and 3's. he didnt feel so well, so he wasnt on, but he did squeeze out some good tiltless lines and a few pixie legovers.

justin : justin really impressed me again. last time i kicked with him i told him that his infinities sets needed to be more of the same, and he totally fixed it. he hits dlo's, drifters, and all sorts of solid tricks now. hell be full guiltless soon.

chris : chris was really tired but still managed to squeeze out blurry whirl>blurry whirl>spinning whirl midstring, a lot of his standard shuffle, and a nice string with pixie ss whirl and stepping ss whirl bsos. His sets didnt seem as straight as normal, so he decided to just sit back and watch after a while.

cleaver (me) : i was playing alright despite playing for like 3 hours the day before. ps whirls were going good and so were my blurry drifts and matadors. i stuck to standard shuffle. biggest thing i hit was ps whirl>ps whirl>ps whirl into a string with whirlwind.

3:30 around here we decided to practice shred 30's. me, justin, and pat all tried our best to bust so we could hold our own at CP. i think everyone did pretty well, justin got through one time with only like 2 drops. solid stuff.

So anyway, that was a good session. its so nice to kick with people when all you do is solo. Plus, they all have super nice bags. lonns, minis, good stuff. i was worried that my new mini was like, to tight, but justin said that his was the same. so sweet.

i didnt shred yesterday cuz i played xbox with my friend mike and then played poker at night. it doesnt really matter, i need to heal up for CP anyway. i will probably play today. i still have to hit that damn blurry whirl>blurry drift repeat. i got like, 2 contacts and a step off it when chris was here.

tommorow (unless i get a call tonight) mike hansen, emily, and tim werner are comming to my house at night to crash before cP. that should be phat. i just hope mike calls me to find out where my house is. go figure.

alright gangstas, im going to clean my room or something.

-david
david

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 31 Dec 2004 15:22

ugh, i have so much to write, but i dont feel like typing it all. here are some happenings latley:

1) mike hansen, tim werner, and emily kulchyk stayed at my place last night. we had a phat session.
2) i leave for CP in 16 hours. AH!
3) tonight i have to practice my shred 30
4) my parents are lame

wish me luck at CP.

-cleaver
david

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 04 Jan 2005 18:36

ugh. no one responds to my blog.

heres a CP recap:

1) jorden is good
2) i lost to him by like 3 points in shred 30 for 3rd place
3) i played decent the first day, but weak the 2nd
4) i like felix's style
5) cheebs going dropless was sick
6) props to alex, pat, and justin for busting in inter shred 30
7) good venue, lucky weather. props to josh for making the jam.

im to lazy to bust out some huge thing. everyone played well, so dont feel bad if i didnt go nuts over you. im really tired. heres a few highlights of what i hit at cp.

sumo>fusion, blurry drifter>ripstein, blurry drifter>sumo, stepping ss whirl>blurry whirl (repeat) into a string with pdx. whirl>spinning whirl (repeat).

peace out.

-david
david

Post by Guest » 04 Jan 2005 18:44

david wrote:sumo>fusion
Sick link!

I hope i can shred with you again sometime soon.

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

guess i will

Post by brian relly » 04 Jan 2005 18:44

Sick shit. Why are your parents lame?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 04 Jan 2005 19:19

david wrote:ugh...
sumo>fusion, blurry drifter>ripstein, blurry drifter>sumo, stepping ss whirl>blurry whirl (repeat) into a string with pdx. whirl>spinning whirl (repeat)
ugh
Can you say BAP next year??