Friction

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Anton
Shredalicious

Friction

Post by Anton » 05 Nov 2011 12:06

It's getting cold outside so I've moved my practice sessions indoors.

I was thinking about buying/making a mat to play on, possibly rubber? I was wondering if anyone has tips on surface material and mat dimensions to maximize portability. I play in Quantums which i find to be less forgiving on surfaces without a lot of friction (as opposed to lavers).

Constructive criticism always appreciated!
\m/ichigan shreds

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 Nov 2011 14:14

It took me a while to figure out a good indoor surface, but my additions ultimately built up to one that is really versatile. First I got 16 of those grey foam puzzle piece mats that you see in a lot of videos. They have a lot of give, which is great for injuries and protecting your floor (esp. hardwood...). But it's got a bit too much grip, which makes spinning difficult. They also slip around on the floor, even if you duct tape them down.

So I got these other mats that are rubber on the bottom and a kind of doorway entrance mat "carpety" stuff on top. This is great on its own, as it doesn't slip on the floor, and has a certain amount of give in the rubber. The top surface is ideal -- kinda like astro turf.

But together they are even better. I can either layer the rubber mats on top of the foam ones and get extra give for my brittle joints, or if that causes too much slippage on a hardwood floor (I used it this way when I had a big concrete space in the basement, where they didn't slip like on hardwood) I can put the rubber mats on the bottom, and the foam on top, meaning I still get the shock absorption of the foam, but they don't slip on the floor (still the friction issue with spinning, though -- but better than the alternative).

I hope that helps.
I got the foam mats from Walmart, and the rubber-bottomed ones from Costco. The rubber ones were, like, $15 each, and I got two. They're about 3x2 feet each or something like that?

There are some other threads on footbag mats somewhere too.

Anton
Shredalicious

Post by Anton » 08 Nov 2011 09:22

Yes that help heaps Erik, thanks. I think I'll try to do the rubber on foam combo, it sounds reliable enough. I'm trying to convince my housemates to let me just superglue the mat down on the basement floor but they may not be as keen about the idea as I am lol. Thanks again I'll re-post after a trial run!
\m/ichigan shreds

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 25 Nov 2011 22:05

I agree with Erik. I'm new to the whole "shredding on carpet" idea, but Bob Riefer recently replaced the rubber mats in his shred barn with a foam insulation & plywood deck topped by carpet, and it's amazing.

And I feel you on the Quantums not liking surfaces with little friction. I go to Penn State and a few weeks ago, everyone in our crew wore Lavers, except for me. I wore Quantums, and I was always slipping around on the gym floor. It really sucked. So I actually just straight up stopped playing in Quantums, and learned to love Lavers again.

Not trying to make you switch shoes or anything, but I used to swear by Quantums, then I tried Lavers again, and they are definitely my shoe of choice.

Either way, I hope whatever you choose works for you in the end! I don't think you'll regret carpet shredding :wink:

~Nick
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman