Flexibility and stretches in footbag.

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
AdAstra
Multidex Master

Flexibility and stretches in footbag.

Post by AdAstra » 25 Jul 2015 11:57

Hi everyone, I've been casually footbagging for a year now, nothing too serious. During my high school days I severly injured both of my ankles in separate basketball accidents and turning my foot inward is very challenging. I can't seem to get the foot flat enough to do even basic tricks like the clipper. Are there any tips you have for flattening out an inside kick and being able to hold it long enough to complete stalls? Could it be a shoe problem or a stretching problem?

Thanks for any help.
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Re: Flexibility and stretches in footbag.

Post by Add Block » 25 Jul 2015 14:12

There's limited advice we can give you without a video, but it could definitely be a shoe problem. It takes a lot of time to get a first good clipper. It's a weird position for your ankles to be in, but it's all about the strength in your calves. Flexible ankles help, but there have been many players with injured unflexible ankles who made it work.

If your injuries keep you from hitting certain tricks, don't let that discourage you, there are 30 000 tricks and it's called freestyle for a reason. Work on the tricks that don't hurt and that you like, but always have the fundamental tricks in mind and keep trying. Some fundamental concepts, such as clippers can be a long, uphill battle, but they help us all in the long run.

Proper footbag shoes help, but all tricks can be done without them, they're just a convenience. They will help you in the beginning, but the best players can shred in any shoes and with any bag.

As for feet pointing inwards, that is not necessary for any tricks, but keep in mind that pointing one's feet outwards (while doing Legovers for example) is considered a bad form and does not look good. Keep them parallel.

Have fun shredding.
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Re: Flexibility and stretches in footbag.

Post by AdAstra » 25 Jul 2015 16:47

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it!
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot