No new BAP since 2014

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
jooles
Hack Fiend

Re: No new BAP since 2014

Post by jooles » 31 Aug 2016 13:14

I think that every greater adjustment on BAP would destroy BAP. The mystic, mega cool badass super group. As far as I know BAP was always a elitist group who invited the best players at there times with all the criterias Allan mentiond (uniqueness of style for example).

I also can understand Ken for refusing the membership. BAP is exclusive, excluding. It's realy "subjective" to get invited. You can bust it out like hell, if BAP doesn't like you, you will never get in.

But a lot of players looking for some kind of recognition. Nowadays it's easier to win some medals at euros or worlds. But maybe there's also a need for a general goal, an achievment, like getting BAPed. It's like a title you can earn at University, something you will carry on your whole shred life.

So why don't we use the badge system to define a level of shred where you get a title like "super shredajin" or whatever. If you get all the badges in bronze your junior "shredajin" silver: semi-shredajin (or, again, whatever). You can also get your own t-shirt and so on. So the system already exists, it maybe just needs the "right" promotion. And it's not in competion to BAP because BAP is subjective, badges are objective
Julian
Vienna, Austria

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 31 Aug 2016 13:28

jooles wrote: You can also get your own t-shirt and so on.
If you create a group that confers a t-shirt to members when they get in, you're already ahead of BAP.
:P

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 01 Sep 2016 03:33

C-Fan wrote:
If you create a group that confers a t-shirt to members when they get in, you're already ahead of BAP.
:P
Jr. BAP is about to run the game.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 01 Sep 2016 08:44

C-Fan wrote:
Back in 2002, the same could have been said about mid 90s BAP. Most non-BAP pros in 2002 were at the level of 1997 BAP. I'm sure there were people in 2002 who thought that was unfair and also wanted the bar lowered. If that had happened, do we think we'd be at the level of your average BAP player today?
2002 was the year of the Golden Child. The bar has been ridiculous ever since that year. He alone raised the level of the sport. I think the line went "Are we witnessing the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?".

Then there was Champion's league... So I think the level of play was set to rise regardless of who was BAP.

If the bar were based on Vasek 2004 - how many would make it over that bar?