Ask Me Anything

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Jorden
Retro Athlete

Re: Ask Me Anything

Post by Jorden » 25 Nov 2022 17:12

Literally NO other sport has more than one set panel of judges. None. What a terrible idea.
Jorden Moir

SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SlashC » 25 Nov 2022 22:54

What is the weirdest thing that you've ever swirled? whirled? around the worlded?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Have you ever thought about learning one handed handstands and then trying to juggle on the back of your hands? If so, what would you call this activity?
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 25 Nov 2022 23:47

Used to use what I'm assuming everyone else did - smartphones, keys, balled up socks.

Started acrobatics too late to really get professional.
Made dome progress though. According to circus coach - it's best started in single digits of age. Kids are like "bansai trees" he would say, and their bodies adapt to extreme stresses way better than any adult would.
Jorden Moir

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 25 Nov 2022 23:57

The way that a juggler juggles upside down in the circus is either 1) they're hung by the ankles or 2) a headstand on a head pedestal. Juggling is either toss juggling or bounce juggling on usually something like a drum. These are vintage tricks rarely seen these days.

There's also video somewhere on YouTube of an antipodist (foot juggler that lies on their back) doing a 3 ball cascade with the soles of their feet!
Jorden Moir

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 26 Nov 2022 17:08

Jorden wrote:
25 Nov 2022 17:12
Literally NO other sport has more than one set panel of judges. None. What a terrible idea.
Once again I agree, the sad reality is that we are smaller every year. Barely enough to compete. Even less to judge. And people are not looking to judge we have to ask around and beg almost.

Competing is not part of the mentality anymore I guess?
Mathieu Gauthier

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 26 Nov 2022 17:15

Well, it's just all the systems surrounding competitions are broken and/or outdated.

A new beginning is needed.

Hmm...
Jorden Moir

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 26 Nov 2022 17:39

Are you on the footbag discord?
Mathieu Gauthier

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Nov 2022 14:59

Who is a player that you always wanted to play with but never had the chance?

I think a kind of "head judge" for major events is something that we need. That person would be part of the organising team and sort out the judges.

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 29 Nov 2022 17:02

acxel22 wrote:
26 Nov 2022 17:39
Are you on the footbag discord?
Sorry, for me this seems like a waste of time.
Jorden Moir

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 29 Nov 2022 17:18

Oddly enough, I have played with all my footbag heroes!

The 2 hardest to get were the most rewarding.

Ryan Mulroney was a big one. His 2001 World Final Routine made me want to first compete.
I ended up getting to session with him in Hollywood of all places in 2007(?), on a certain movie set.
First player I've ever seen who basically ignores you while you play. Wow. Even though I was hitting some unique stuff that day.
I guess he's earned the right! Special side note: he was asked what it would take for him to compete at a Worlds again. He said (in no exact words) "it would take paying me 3 months of my job's wages so I can train for it properly."
A true champion.

My favourite player for years and years was Sunil Jani. Tricky one because he had basically stopped playing. Finally go to meet him at a NYFA Jam.
The hug was warranted.

If I HAD to pick one player - then I would say...Yves Kreil? Doubt he plays now. A top favourite as well.
Or did we play in Helsinki Worlds 2005? Can't remember.

Tbh there's nobody I'm really itching to play with, because the jaded-ness is persistent and real. The "effort vs. reward" for attending tournaments is not really there for me. And I still need to get back in shape.

The fan reactions to watching the circle are the most fun.

JM
Jorden Moir

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 29 Nov 2022 17:43

ive been working on 2 bag juggling patterns, curious if you hit any of the following or something similar?
1 bag clipper 1 bag toe juggling (no pause stall on toe like people do in routines)
1 bag clipper 1 bag osis (needs pause on toe while osis on this one)

not getting tons of contacts so far, like 7-8 tops, but figured if someone done this better before, probably you?
Mathieu Gauthier

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 30 Nov 2022 17:23

Yes, I've done the first 2 bag trick.

2nd one no hadn't thought of it, but seems like a good idea.

How about 2 bag tricks (one on each foot) where one bag stays on the foot the whole time and does the dexes? Takes practice. Can be done with mirage, illusion, probably butterfly.

JM
Jorden Moir

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 01 Dec 2022 12:41

Jorden wrote:
30 Nov 2022 17:23
Yes, I've done the first 2 bag trick.

2nd one no hadn't thought of it, but seems like a good idea.

How about 2 bag tricks (one on each foot) where one bag stays on the foot the whole time and does the dexes? Takes practice. Can be done with mirage, illusion, probably butterfly.

JM
Will try the suggestion next session, it does seem possible in my head
Mathieu Gauthier

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 03 Dec 2022 14:21

Is that like you balance one bag on the foot which stays there while doing the dexes? Don't think I've seen that before but seems do-able for someone with good balance.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 04 Dec 2022 11:59

Hey Jorden, great to see you back on here!

I'd be curious to hear you reflect on how you structured your solo training for footbag in the time of the "session" videos. What sort of breakdown was there between drilling individual concepts, shredding, pushing big moves, inventing new concepts, etc. Did you have lots of sessions that were just drilling concepts, and then tried to throw it all together in the few sessions that you made into that series? Or did you drill concepts in the beginning as warmup and most sessions ended up with just freestyling? Or did you just freestyle pretty much all the time and not drill individual concepts?

Did you go into sessions with written goals of things you were trying to hit, or just come up with things on the fly?

I tend to get a little overwhelmed with the possibilities if I don't go into a session, or even a run with a plan. Maybe its just lack of practice, but I'll sometimes just run out of ideas or get stuck in a rut trying to hit a very specific link or drill and just spend a whole session working on that and feel like its a bit of a waste.

Would love to see you shred again :)

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 05 Dec 2022 10:56

Hi Cammel, great questions. [Put real name in sig, maybe? Sorry man, I forget your name!]

I'll try to make the answer as simple as possible.
Maybe it's best to start off with DON'Ts. Here are some things I never did in training:
(sadly, these are very common approaches by other players!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never:
1 - did common drills over and over as some sort of weird ritual each session. For example, ripwalk > sidewalk [rpt] endurance, or stop and start the same drill many times.
WHY: Once I'm satisfied with all the components of these moves, I move on. Otherwise, it's a time and energy waste - and not to mention a creativity killer.

[*Note: I will do endurance feats of moves I have dialed - but only for a specific reason (to try and break the consec world record or for cardio)]

2 - attempt long runs using entirely my strong side
WHY: this would lead to an increased imbalance in my left and right sides, and holes in my game would widen. You want to go the other direction!

3 - do a trick "10 times in a row" as a punishment, or something similar
WHY: again, once the ins and outs of the trick are comfortable for me that day I move on. 3 out of 3 times perfectly is enough, or once an error is discovered and correction is made. As long as some kind of forward movement is reached each session it's sufficient. Efficiency matters!

Side note: as I've always said, end your sessions on a positive and successful note! Leave yourself feeling good for the next session.
Never end on a failed trick or a "punishment". Make sure to plan sessions accordingly.

4 - play through an injury
WHY: Self explanatory. Don't. Not worth it. Take time to heal and reflect on what caused it (if footbag related).

5 - Dwell on a few concepts I'm very consistent at while ignoring weaker areas at the lower levels
WHY: You're only as strong as the easiest trick you cannot do. No holes in foundation!!

Many players limit their trick vocabulary and focus on mastery too soon. Their style then becomes easily forgettable. They are plagued with constant plateauing. Why not strive to be the very best player you can be? Anyone can transcend this.

JM
Jorden Moir

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 05 Dec 2022 11:36

What I DO focus on in sessions, and recommend for others:

1 - Have a set warm-up that starts from the body being entirely cold. It needs to be completely safe and builds in difficulty slowly, getting the muscles warm enough for each consecutive sequence. Try to get ALL the "stones in the bottom level of the pyramid" laid down, because that is your foundation for the rest of the session. It's customized for your needs. This is an example of what I might do:
--------------------------------
Stretch (hips, ankles, calves, hamstrings, quads, neck, shoulders) 3-5 minutes
----------------------------------
Part 1 - KICKS (3-5 minutes)
Alt Inside kicks for cardio, fully relaxed, focused on breath and having even rhythm. Check to make sure form, balance and posture are all good.
Start adding in toe kicks, padded by alt inside kicks, alternating toes each time.
Repeat last step but replace toes with knee kicks. Then again with outside kicks.
Repeat everything but reduce the number of alt insides between like kicks.
Then do consecutive alt toe kicks in the run. Then consec knees. Consec outsides. Make sure all kicks are working (hit in the right spot, even rhythm, angles good).
Then I add unusual kicks - clipper kick (not flying), calf kick, side sole, flapper, shin, etc. all alternating, padded with inside kicks in between.
Always kick to where the next surface is - not the other way around.
Then, all the basic flying kicks I can think of. Again, alternating and each one padded with inside kicks.

If something isn't working, focus on it until it's either fixed or at least an improvement is made. Reflect and error correct - always be mindful!

Just like that pyramid analogy - all the categories of moves are put in the correct order (don't jump ahead!) and no stone is left unturned. Intentionally making it so there are zero holes in your game (at least in the first few categories!).

As you can tell, I use a mental checklist for the warmup of each session. Think of it like a machine operator doing a prestart check of all the standard processes of the machine. That machine is your body!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Part 2 - BASIC STALLS (3 minutes)
Mostly the same thing as part one but replace inside kicks with toe stalls. Again, focus on the breath, being relaxed, good posture and having even rhythm.
An example:
toe > opp toe [rpt x 5] standard scoopy way, then repeat with ankle-flicky way, then hoppy toes
scoopy toes add in insides padded with toes, then alt consec insides
toe > same knee > same toe > opp toe > same knee > same toe a few times
outside stalls padded with alt toes

Repeat last 3 steps with hoppy toes.
A few consec walkovers same side. Then other side. A couple consec hopovers each side.
Then clippers repeating same side. Then alternating.

All of the above done with an inspector's eye for imbalances in any way. Try to fix them immediately.
If ankles need more stretching, you can do that now and/or throughout.
----------------------------------------------------
PART 3 - BASIC "FREESTYLE" (3 minutes)
Here I would do drills and a few consecs of each of all the common 2s and 3s, all to warm up the muscles further and check for any issues.
No part of the session should ever be mindless or sloppy.

Example:
(Using descriptive system here)

Around x 3, Orbit x 3, then same on other side, maybe around > orbit [rpt] x 2
a couple rounds of mirage > near mirage [rpt], then illusion > near illusion [rpt]
switch > around > orbit [rpt]
few rounds of repeating pickups, check clipper pickups, far pickups
butterflies - infinities and infinity > near butter [rpt] a couple times
Repeating near butter a few times each side
Oses, alternating and a few consec fars on each side
Whirl > whip [rpt] a couple times each side
a few Consec swirls, swirl > twist [rpt] each side
Check rakes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
PART 4: FINAL CHECKS (??? Minutes)
"Inspector checklist" of anything harder than what was previously mentioned
Any symposium moves you want to check padded with easy stalls or 2s or whatever
Check ducks and dives, then gyros and spins in simple runs
double dexes, check each side (only once each to save energy)
Check composite moves like spinning ducking
Basic sets, see what's working or what needs working on that session
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PART 5: WARM-UP FREESTYLE
Drifters, torques, dynos etc. - do some easy guiltless runs and mix in your next pyramid checklist moves padded with easy 2s and 3s.
Watch my first Session Video "Epic" for a demonstration of this level. Pretty much the whole video is like this.

Once all the standard stuff is looking good to go, I might do a creativity exercise some of you might remember:

the OSIS-SWIRL-RAKE game.

It's where you can do any tricks (sets/spin/gyro/duck/dive, etc.) but they must end in either osis, swirl/twist (formerly reverse swirl) or side/xbd rake. This forces you to be continuously thinking and not mindlessly bailing to toes, insides, clippers or butterflies. It gets rid of the 2D "California Games syndrome" and makes your game a full 360 degrees, stopping and rotating at will. Prevents players from falling asleep watching you. Take it slow at first and try for planned links of 2 moves, then 3, then stretch it out into longer runs of unplanned connections! O-S-R teaches you to set on angles to where the bag needs to be going next, and how to intercept the bag with the correct foot angle on the fly. The challenge is to keep the runs long and interesting... and breaks quite a sweat!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PART 6: FREESTYLE

From here it's whatever you want to work on. Try the big trick or link. Drills. Long and/or creative runs. Try styly move variations. Test body positions or new approaches. Mix it up! Practice thinking on the spot too! It's good to start with a list of tricks you want to do beforehand. Or personal records to break, new drills, links, weak points, etc. Make written checklists and have goals!
Good luck.

JM
Last edited by Jorden on 07 Dec 2022 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
Jorden Moir

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 06 Dec 2022 15:54

Amazing write-up, thanks so much for taking the time to put this all together! This is super helpful. Definitely helping me get motivated to get back out there :)
Jorden wrote:
05 Dec 2022 11:36
Watch my first Session Video "Epic" for a demonstration of this level. Pretty much the whole video is like this.
I don't think the Session videos are up anymore. I had the DVD once upon a time, and I remember even a few months ago I think someone had uploaded them to youtube, but I just tried to find them again to no avail, so maybe they were taken down again.
Jorden wrote:
05 Dec 2022 10:56
Hi Cammel, great questions. [Put real name in sig, maybe? Sorry man, I forget your name!]
Haha, Gray Chadwick, from California, I didn't make it to too many tournaments (and never did anything particularly noteworthy at any of the ones I attended :) ). I think we overlapped at a New Years Jam in.. 06? and worlds in Florida around the same time. I took about 13 years off from footbag, but I got back into it because of COVID lockdown of all the things. I'm happy I did, its been a fun distraction and way to reflect on old times. I was sad to see the state of the footbag scene these days. :(

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 06 Sep 2023 11:18

Where are you now?
Hows the big projects going?
We miss you buddy
Mathieu Gauthier

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 10 Sep 2023 10:54

I'm good. Just secured a funding source for what I want to do next year.
More to come.

JM
Jorden Moir