A Modified Challenge

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.

If you feel Modified is worse off now than ever before, why is it so?

Because of people posting disrespectful things
41%
Because of people posting incorrect information
3%
Because Modified's community has grown
21%
Because forums tend to draw introverted troglodytes
34%

Total votes: 29

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 19 Nov 2006 20:42

me too zeb

this is a place where i keep up with the happenings of footbag. some good, some not so good. i get to check out peoples blogs and how they're doing with footbag and life in general. i see updates of tournaments all the time. new vids pop up daily(although i can't see them just yet). even the gossip lover can somewhat feed their need in this ever flowing information station. this is an awesome place. without it i would know virtually none of the people iv known. i wouldn't converse with some people semi regularly. i wouldn't get ideas for tricks, strings, combos, etc. sure sometimes it gets out of hand and hard to manage but no matter what you say as long as your here your part of it. i know some of you will dispute this but how would your footbag life be affected without modified. i know i would be playing completely different. just try and remember that we make it what it is(all of you, no one excluded).

im not as new as some of the members on this forum and i definitely havent been here as long as a lot of you. i realize, being in this middle position, that my opinion has little or no effect on the current discussion. but you heard it anyway.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 19 Nov 2006 20:43

the pic was of a sad panda.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 19 Nov 2006 21:09

Splint wrote:I hope in the next life you are able to get a girlfriend who doesn't laugh at you because you were born with micro penis.

Yeah, I guess THIS life you were the one that got stuck with it huh?
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 19 Nov 2006 23:03

As long as we're talking about penis size, I should let you all know that one of my nicknames is "Ladder 9"

bluntobj3ct
BSOS Beast

Post by bluntobj3ct » 19 Nov 2006 23:29

I too share the sentiment of

:sentiment:
why the fuck are you still here being a fucking douchebag miller, this place was much more pleasant without you, your 7th grade schoolgirl drama, and your neverending childish temper-tantrums. furthermore, the fact that you have enough time to put together personalized comic strips and diagrams of your imaginary penis size only reinforces the sad, sad fact that you're a pathetic failure of a pudgy, friendless, middle aged failure."

i am confident that i speak with and for the majority of modified when i say i was genuinely glad that you had decided to go the fuck away, your presence on these boards is neither welcome nor wanted. please do the right thing for modified, follow through with your former plan and fucking dissapear, asshole.
:/sentiment:

as evidenced by my lack of saying a single thing towards you during this whole ordeal where you bitched like a whiny 6 year old to the mods about my sig without so much as mentioning anything to me, i would normally not venture to put so much effort into typing the above heartfelt sentiment. unfortunately, the several people who have suggested similar feeling towards the matter are not experiencing the support they deserve, so i felt compelled to back them up.

i'd encourage anyone who shares this sentiment to do the same, but hey most who agree probly dont think its really worth bringing themselves down to your level. i for one, will miss matt cross as a mod.
SAM MCAULAY
BLOG
ImageImage

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 19 Nov 2006 23:42

bluntobj3ct
BSOS Beast

Post by bluntobj3ct » 20 Nov 2006 00:05

stop, drop, and roll bitches!
SAM MCAULAY
BLOG
ImageImage

funklovesfootbag
Womanizer

Post by funklovesfootbag » 20 Nov 2006 00:49

I am sickened by this situation.

Matt Cross wrote:
boo fuckin hoo. chris miller sucks.
I've got a million things to say but none are positive. I don't know what he was getting PMed but I know he shouldn't have to put up with that shit.

Bluntobject wrote:
hey most who agree probly dont think its really worth bringing themselves down to your level. i for one, will miss matt cross as a mod.
Yep.
Fletcher Funk...

*Retired From Stitching*
(and basically freestyle.)

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 20 Nov 2006 01:07

Texta wrote:WTF!? Where's my micropenis? Fair enough it was against the rules, but the rules also state pretty clearly that mods must sign all edits. If it's your job to enforce the rules, you should definitely be able to follow them yourselves. FREAK!
I'm sorry, I did forget to sign it. Another Mod pointed that out to me and it's fixed now.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 20 Nov 2006 02:47

shredzilla wrote:Yeah, I guess THIS life you were the one that got stuck with it huh?
Nuh uh, you can't use my insult back against me. It's way too 3rd grade and totally unoriginal. I call bullshit.
Besides you gave my penis waaaaayyyyyy too much credit. I will not own up to being that big, lest someone find out the truth someday and call me on it.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 20 Nov 2006 07:21

bluntobj3ct, I swear, if you say DOUCHEBAG one more time, I'm calling the Guinness Book of World Records. Seriously bro, EXPAND that piss poor vocab of yours. I know you had to move further south cuz all those SanDiegans were too smart for ya ;)

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 20 Nov 2006 08:06

And you're just simply retarded Fletcher. You don't have a million things to say. You don't even have ONE thing to say. All you're doing is chiming in here and there after everyone's already taken a shot. You and bluntobj3ct make a great pair. A great pair of nuts.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 20 Nov 2006 08:26

This post is me, Ken, speaking in my capacity as a member of the footbag community, and not in my capacity as a mod.

If I have ever met you in person and we got along, or if I have ever done you a favor on the internet, then I personally appeal to you to stop posting in this thread. Maybe some of you find it fun to insult each other and go off on "flame wars." For me it just makes me tired (not as a mod, just as a member of the footbag community). I think it reflects badly on all of us, which is a shame, because the footbag community I have met in person is much cooler and bigger than this.

So that's it. That's my personal request. If you are a friend of mine, or if you think you would be a friend of mine if we met, then please. PLEASE stop flaming. Stop posting in this thread. Let it drop down, fade into oblivion, and in the process, lets get back some of our self-respect.

ShredOnLawn
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ShredOnLawn » 20 Nov 2006 10:06

Still reading?

Good.

Ideas:

1-Real Name, Location, Age, and Club affiliation as requirements in signiture.

2-Asking Permission before being able to start a topic.

3-Moderators' actions being hidden to viewers.

4-List of viewable requirements for Moderators. This will give people a sense of confidance in the moderators whoever many and whoever they are.

5-Another section or site for any member that has been a member for over 5 years. Just for the experienced people. It would be more serious.

6-A rule against being able to post twice in row in the same topic.(They should just edit their first post. Or not allow edits at all. Editing would be for qualified people, the moderators.

7-Email me and talk to me about footbag. I won't offend you or lie. You can probably find my email by using the member search at footbag.org.

8-Any post not directly related to the topic subject should be deleted and sent back to the person who posted it with a reason in the subject of the message.

Ideas I liked:

1-IFPA member as a requirement to become a modified member.

2-A better search tool for finding exact topics.

3-Only allow footbag related posts.

IMO-This forum could have started better.
Who knew it would grow so large so quickly?
It's so large now that without more moderators it will not be as nice as it is now.
The main problem with modified is that normal humans like myself are aloud to start a stupid topic anywhere they want at any time of day with pictures, cursing, and drug refferences.
Lon Smith

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 20 Nov 2006 10:46

Nice post Lon, thanks for bringing this topic back to the original issue at hand. Lets improve modified.

Ken, I appreciate your post about not flaming, but I think this topic can and should continue. Members who WANT change can post constructive ideas here.

At least we are trying to address some positive issues here. Thanks to those who are keeping it positive. Let's minimize flaming posts here, for those are of no use to the purpose of this topic!
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

Kyle Hewitt
something more funny

Post by Kyle Hewitt » 20 Nov 2006 12:40

Good ideas Lon! It would be a good idea to only let people with IFPA memberships join. It would make people support footbag more.

Texta
Shredaholic

Post by Texta » 20 Nov 2006 13:34

Needing IFPA membership: Wouldn't that be what footbag.org is for?

Basically 90% of problems could be fixed if the moderators/admin managed to behave in a mature and intelligent way and followed the rules that they set down.

On the forums I'm more seriously involved in, we expect moderators to take their roles very seriously and I have no trouble cutting someone loose if they've proven themselves to be incompetent.

Moderating a forum is an actual responsibility. It's like looking after a kid. You no longer have the right to behave the same way you did before and solve problems by swearing and making a mess.

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 20 Nov 2006 13:39

We would hope people would support footbag by becoming a .org and IFPA member, but being a member is not and should not be a requisite of being able to post on modified.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 20 Nov 2006 16:22

On a forum I used to moderate to deal with people getting out their yaya's we had one forum called 'Miscellaneous' that was for any sort of off-topic banter. There was a moderator to help keep it clean, but aside from that any kind of topic could be posted in there - flaming, whatever. It worked well. Maybe we should try that here instead of giving this off-topic forum any sort of credibility via assigning moderators with jobs.

I liked most of Lon's ideas.

dyalander
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by dyalander » 20 Nov 2006 17:21

I don't think turning mofied into a footbag only resource is the way to go. I don't think turning it into footbag.org is the way to go. So I don't think we should force people to join the IFPA. I don't think a seperate section for experienced posters is a good thing either - I think one of the best things about modified, when it is at its best, is that experienced players post and interact with newer players and share their knowledge.

There seems to be three types of solution being offered - 1) strutural, i.e. we change the way we organise posts into threads and sections.
2) rules and content - we change what is and isn't allowed to be posted
3) moderators - we get better moderators.

Unfortunatley they overlap which is why its hard to get change to occur. I think this is a good thread to continue discussing structural changes in. Personally I think the division between footbag and non footbag sections is clear enough. All the "problems" tend to be limited to the non footbag areas already so I don't think changing the structure of modified further would further limit these "problems".
I think those who want to offer constructive ideas and views on what the rules for users should be for modified should go to the guidelines thread, read the guidelines I wrote up and tell me all the things I've done wrong - be specific, post what needs to be worded better, post anything that should be removed, post a suggested addition.
As for getting better moderators - I think moderation would be better if there was more clarity and subsequently more trust in the structure and rules of modified. Because then it would far easier to hold moderators accountable. For examply - Emily edited out an image, but didn't sign it. The user complained, and I also noticed that a mod had edited someting without signing it and she went back and fixed it. Problem solved - and in the same way that if user goes and does the same unnceptable thing over and over s/he gets barred, if any other mod was to make the same mistake over and over then it would be fair to expect him/her to step down. But until the guidelines are accepted by the community, it is difficult for the community to mount specific pressure on mods to 1)do a good job and 2) be accountable in the way they do their job..
Who wears short shorts?
Dylan Govender.