Striving to be like the Europeans on this forum

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.

Agree or Disagree?

Agree
43%
Disagree
58%

Total votes: 40

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 19 May 2007 11:50

Moxie wrote:Take the argument to e-mail or PM's.
whats the point? they'll be posted here anyways :P

I think that everyone who sends emails has an expectation of privacy. Maybe there is not some legal obligation to keep them private but it is terrible etiquette, to say the least, to share them without the person's consent. I feel that way, and it sounds like Ken and other people on the forum do too; and I think that you also do Jeremy.

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 19 May 2007 15:01

i think ken just wants to paint jeremy as a hypocrite, and doesn't care about the privacy issues of email.

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 21 May 2007 03:16

Our entire culture thrives off of labels and brands, whatever we can buy to make ourselves look and feel important in relation to others.
Singapore is even WORSE in this regard.

Fortunately I'm not Singaporean.
Oliver Adams

Dave Da
Shredaholic

Post by Dave Da » 24 May 2007 06:54

The world is about image.
The world is about what you have and who you are.
It's not just special to us "arrogant assholes".
Its easy to stigmatize the majority.
The United States is the Mecca of culture. Basically whats popular here will/could be popular everywhere else.
This country allows us to be who we are. It lets you choose to be a dickhead and it also lets you choose to be compassionate.
So if you are sick of being America or ashamed of it, then try to be yourself somewhere else where they wont let you.
DAVID M. DAVIS

In life footbag is always there for you.

Switch Kicker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Switch Kicker » 24 May 2007 09:11

Dave Da wrote:The world is about image.
The United States is the Mecca of culture. Basically whats popular here will/could be popular everywhere else.
This country allows us to be who we are. It lets you choose to be a dickhead and it also lets you choose to be compassionate.
So if you are sick of being America or ashamed of it, then try to be yourself somewhere else where they wont let you.
No words can express the sheer ownage that has fluttered from your computer's keyboard.

Switch Kicker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Switch Kicker » 24 May 2007 09:14

Tsiangkun wrote:i think ken just wants to paint jeremy as a hypocrite, and doesn't care about the privacy issues of email.
Jeremy is a hypocrite. Don't need to try paint or show anything. He just is. And if you can't see it, then you need to go to the nearest clinic, and make sure you're eye sight is good, and that you're mentally stable.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 24 May 2007 10:51

Raise High The Roofbeams Carpenters

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 24 May 2007 16:46

You, my friend, are a dumbfuck.
Oliver Adams

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 25 May 2007 02:52

Switch Kicker wrote:
No words can express the sheer ownage that has fluttered from your computer's keyboard.
lol since when does ownage 'flutter'?

It is fired like a beam and goes "BANG", like an ion cannon.

And as shown in my last post, I don't think that was a pwnage post.

I thought I might at least go halfway to justifying my last post, but I'm still gonna make points that I can't be bothered supporting (i know i'll never get the message across anyway, so why bother going much further than insulting people)

No, the US isn't the mecca of culture. I don't know WHERE you got that idea from. I don't call a bunch of bullshit paparazzi 'culture'. If you do, thats your own issue.
Basically whats popular here will/could be popular everywhere else.

I know you threw in that '/could', just to make this line slightly less objectionable, but its still fucking messed up. THis is the most bullshit I've seen in a thread since the whole 'light has infinite mass' bit.
I don't get this either. You can be a dickhead anywhere. You can also be compassionate anywhere. Are you going to say there are countries that actually forcefully prevent you from being compassionate? Its an internal quality, you can't stop someone from feeling compassionate.
LOL! While there are places where they 'won't let you', there are still many places they will. and those places kick ass. (and in maintaining consistency with the thread, yes, many of those places are in europe).

sigh. Newbs.
Oliver Adams

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 25 May 2007 03:03

BainbridgeShred wrote:Oh, and your BJ joke only made one person laugh. And his name was Blue Turnip.

So.....
My name is Oliver Adams. It's in my signature.
Oliver Adams

Dave Da
Shredaholic

Post by Dave Da » 25 May 2007 05:46

Take it for what it is. I know people will disagree. Im probably bias, because I am an American. The Mecca of Culture thing has to do with Pop Culture. Like movies, music, TV, basically media.

Personally im just offended by anyone born in America to hate it here. It pretty much doesnt get any better than here IMO. I understand that probabl 90% of the the rest of the world hates America for whatever reasons.

My grandparents werent america. I guess what i have learned from them was all the "old fashion" values that America that no one else does.

To make post like mine are sheer rants and probably were unneeded in the first place. I stand by what i believe and I wont fight about it.
DAVID M. DAVIS

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 25 May 2007 05:49

fair enough. I'm oddly impressed.
Oliver Adams

Dave Da
Shredaholic

Post by Dave Da » 25 May 2007 05:53

"oddly impressed" How so?
DAVID M. DAVIS

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 25 May 2007 05:56

Well don't you think it's slightly odd that i've just payed you out pretty hard, then i'm impressed by a brief post by you? I think it is.

Therefore, I am impressed. Yet oddly so.
Oliver Adams

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 25 May 2007 05:57

and to top it off, I didn't even agree with your post, which makes it even more odd that i'm impressed by it.
Oliver Adams

Dave Da
Shredaholic

Post by Dave Da » 25 May 2007 06:11

Its probably because i didnt take what u said to heart, I took it for what it was and I respected your opinion. I didnt come out swinging, calling you names and insulting you.
DAVID M. DAVIS

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 25 May 2007 07:05

Nah, cos when people don't come flying back at me, it ruins the fun :P. So it really doesn't make sense.
Oliver Adams

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 25 May 2007 09:04

Correction wrote:I understand that probably 90% of the rest of the world hates America for a good reason.
It's good to love the place you live but to do it blindly is a disservice to the country and the people who live here, not to mention the people in rest of the world who we are harming.

Back to the "topic," here are my original thoughts from when I read the first post and some others in the first few pages of this thread:
1. I'd bet that someone posting in their native language is more likely to be obnoxious and crude than someone posting in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. language. I feel like if I make a really rude post I can defend myself without language being a barrier in any way.
2. There are other forums in other languages, and I'm sure there are a few posts on them which aren't perfectly angelic and polite.
3. When there are 20 (or some random number) times more people from one place, I'm sure you'll see a higher number of them being jerks. It doesn't mean the within each group the percentage of Americans who are obnoxious on the forum is necessarily higher than the percentage of Europeans who are obnoxious on the forum.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Switch Kicker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Switch Kicker » 25 May 2007 10:03

You're smart... And so self-contained... How do you do that? I find it difficult.

Americans are not jerks. There's just a large number of people who live in America, who are jerks.

I'll tell you who the jerks are. Canada... and the UK...

<.<

>.>

For not using peer pressure to make the US provide health insurance for all of it's citizens.

d('.'d)

apoplectic
Shredalicious

Post by apoplectic » 10 Jun 2007 06:41

Moxie wrote:
Correction wrote:I understand that probably 90% of the rest of the world hates America for a good reason.
It's good to love the place you live but to do it blindly is a disservice to the country and the people who live here, not to mention the people in rest of the world who we are harming.

Back to the "topic," here are my original thoughts from when I read the first post and some others in the first few pages of this thread:
1. I'd bet that someone posting in their native language is more likely to be obnoxious and crude than someone posting in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. language. I feel like if I make a really rude post I can defend myself without language being a barrier in any way.
2. There are other forums in other languages, and I'm sure there are a few posts on them which aren't perfectly angelic and polite.
3. When there are 20 (or some random number) times more people from one place, I'm sure you'll see a higher number of them being jerks. It doesn't mean the within each group the percentage of Americans who are obnoxious on the forum is necessarily higher than the percentage of Europeans who are obnoxious on the forum.
and id like to add another point,americans havent reached the levels of assholism some europeans have.we havent had anyone like hitler or stalin or mussolini crop up from the us yet.the closest weve came is george bush but he hasnt killed 36 million people like stalin did
David Adams

shred till your dead