Drugs in footbag

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 06 Dec 2007 15:31

I don't like those odds...

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 06 Dec 2007 22:40

This discussion could easily be compared to "drugs in rock and roll"- all the best players do them :) Btw some of them are ageless (other than their looks) regardless of their crazy drug use. Its not a problem as long as there isnt addiction and the problems associated with it.

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 07 Dec 2007 10:02

yesterday some of my friends ("friends") were hitting a 2-day old, $200 3-foot bong on this kid's patio. I walked back outside after talking to my girlfriend to tell them she was coming to pick me up. the only other seniors I was there with freaked out, thinking i was a parent, and ran behind a fence with the bong in tow as I came into sight. (the other kids, who were underclassman, knew it must have been me and weren't unnerved at all). as soon as I'm announcing, "she's coming to pick me up! (let's rip that bong some more)" I hear a deafening *crash!* This idiot, who was freaked out for no reason, honestly thought he could STAND UP a 3 foot tall piece of glass (on uneven concrete, nonetheless) to hide it and run away. i'm no physics wiz, but isn't it at least near impossible to balance something that is immensely taller and heavier than its base? anyway, it was hilarious and not my fault in the least. I feel bad for the kid but i'm sure he'll be compensated. anyway my point was some mj enthusiasts are dumb and others are cool - a statistic comparable to the rest of society.

----------------
Now playing: Radiohead - Black Star
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes
david wrote:I was just sitting here surfing and my mom looks over my shoulder. I had to jab down the down key real quick so she wouldn't see that topic title and question me about what kind of site I was going on.

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 07 Dec 2007 10:05

[quote="brian relly"]yesterday some of my friends ("friends") were hitting a 2-day old, $200 3-foot bong on this kid's patio. I walked back outside after talking to my girlfriend to tell them she was coming to pick me up. the only other seniors I was there with freaked out, thinking i was a parent, and ran behind a fence with the bong in tow as I came into sight. (the other kids, who were underclassman, knew it must have been me and weren't unnerved at all). as soon as I'm announcing, "she's coming to pick me up! (let's rip that bong some more)" I hear a deafening *crash!* This idiot, who was freaked out for no reason, honestly thought he could STAND UP a 3 foot tall piece of glass (on uneven concrete, nonetheless) to hide it and run away. i'm no physics wiz, but isn't it at least near impossible to balance something that is immensely taller and heavier than its base? in any case, it was hilarious and not my fault in the least. I feel bad for the kid but i'm sure he'll be compensated. anyway my point is some mj enthusiasts are dumb and others are cool - a statistic comparable to the rest of society, even hacky sack communities*

----------------
Now playing: Radiohead - Sulk

* also known as "the internet."
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes
david wrote:I was just sitting here surfing and my mom looks over my shoulder. I had to jab down the down key real quick so she wouldn't see that topic title and question me about what kind of site I was going on.

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 07 Dec 2007 10:09

oh god, I forgot i was in Discussion and clicked "Quote" where there's normally an "edit" button. Fucking snobby ass modified preemptively disallows people from potentially editing their offensive remarks, and in turn prevents people from proofreading their own statements. This place blows. if someone comes across this, be so kind as to delete that first one. thanks.
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes

EoghanMcDowell
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by EoghanMcDowell » 08 Dec 2007 02:48

I tend to leave people to their personal decisions. But i wouldn't let anyone smoke in my house, and if i was with i anyone who wanted to smoke, i would either tell them to not do it around me, or just get up and leave. So whatever, just makes me uncomfortable.

Eoghan
Eoghan Patrick Morgan McDowell

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 25 Feb 2010 01:09

yeah, If you can make wise choices, it is possible to not to be led in the wrong direction.
Wise choice number one: VAYPOR EYEZ ASIAN

I severely cut down on smoking pot, mainly for health reasons, school, and footbag. I sold my bong and bought a vaporizer. Best choice I've ever made. I still only vaporize twice a week, tops, because there's no doubt in my mind that it has effects on your thinking and brain activity. I find it a lot easier to play footbag while being vaped, than stoned from smoking. It's much more pure and clearer. All in all, as much as i'll stick up for decriminalization of marijuana, it's definitely not great for your body...

...but it's fun and it makes me happy, so step off of my cloud, haters :)
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

TomTilly
BSOS Beast

Post by TomTilly » 25 Apr 2010 12:41

Hm, I just found this topic and I think it's pretty offensive...

I have a couple of friends who don't smoke weed but some of them understand that it's not heroin, we just roll it for fun, be happy with each other, laughing our ass off, and they don't hate us. Why do some of the "clean" people hate stoners? Did any potheads robbed them or hurt them?

The funny fact is that most of the footbagges smoke weed (as I saw at the bigger events), and banning them would not work, and it would kill the friendly athmosphare of this competitions.

Anyway, I didn't know anything about weed 2 years ago, and my friends told me that like everybody smoked weed at Worlds. I did not noticed it at all. Nobody offended or disturbed me or something at the event site.
Tilly Tamás

"The mistake is not to drop it. The mistake is not to pick it up."

nnewman
Circle Kicker

Post by nnewman » 30 Apr 2010 10:11

Jeremy wrote:
ObArA'BaRs wrote:
BainbridgeShred wrote: There are over 900 chemicals in Marijuana (Once flame is put to green) that scientists have no knowledge on the effect on the brain/body. Definitely some scary shit.
Not if you vaporize it with a volcano.
Even if you vaporize you are still 40% to 300% more likely to suffer from a mental illness than if you don't use drugs.

The comparisons in this topic are ridiculous by the way. Being addicted to footbag, addicted to sugar, addicted to caffeine, even addicted to religion (and I hope you all know how much I hate religion) has nothing like the negative physical effect on your life as being addicted to illicit drugs. Those things are incomparable. I wanted to finish off with this quote from one of my favourite books. Can you imagine the same thing being written about any of those other substances (caffeine, sugar, footbag etc.)?

---------------

Author's Note

This has been a novel about some people who were punished entirely too much for what they did. They wanted to have a good time, but they were like children playing in the street; They could see one after another of them being killed - run over, maimed, destroyed - but they continued to play anyhow. We really all were very happy for a while, sitting around not toiling but just bullshitting and playing, but it was for such a terribly brief time, and then the punishment was beyond belief: even when we could see it, we could not believe it. For example , while I was writing this I learned that the person whom the character Jerry Fabin is based killed himself. My friend on whom I based the character Ernie Luckman died before I began the novel. For a while I myself was one of these children playing in the street; I was, like the rest of them, trying to play instead of being grown up, and I was punished. I am on the list below, which is a list of those to whom this novel is dedicated, and what became of each.

Drug misuse is not a disease, it is a decision, like the decision to step out in front of a moving car. You would call that not a disease but an error of judgement. When a bunch of people begin to do it, it is a social error, a life-style. In this particular life-style the motto is "Be happy now because tomorrow you are dying," but the dying begins almost at once and the happiness is a memory. It is, then, only a speeding up, an intensifying, of the ordinary human existence. It is not different from your life-style, it is only faster. It all takes place in days or weeks or months instead of years. "Take the cash and let the credit go," as Villon said in 1460. But that is a mistake if the cash is a penny and the credit is a whole lifetime.

There is no moral in this novel; it is not bourgeois; it does not say they were wrong to play when they should have toiled; it just tells what the consequences were. In Greek drama they were beginning, as a society, to discover science, which means causal law. Here in this novel there is Nemesis: not fate, because any one of us could have chosen to stop playing in the street, but, as I narrate from the deepest part of my life and heart, a dreadful Nemesis for those who kept on playing. I myself, I am not a character in this novel; I am the novel. So, though, was our entire nation at this time. This novel is about more people than I knew personally. Some we all read about in the newspapers. It was, this sitting around with our buddies and bullshitting while making tape recordings, the bad decision of the decade, the sixties, both in and out of the establishment. And nature cracked down on us. We were forced to stop by things dreadful.

If there were any "sin," it was that these people wanted to keep on having a good time forever, and were punished for that, but, as I say, think of it only in a Greek or morally neutral way, as mere science, as deterministic impartial cause-and-effect. I loved them all. Here is the list, to whom I dedicate my love:

To Gaylene; deceased
To Ray; deceased
To Francy; permanent psychosis
To Kathy; permanent brain damage
To Jim; deceased
To Val; massive permanent brain damage
To Nancy; permanent psychosis
To Joanne; permanent brain damage
To Maren; deceased
To Nick; deceased
To Terry; deceased
To Dennis; deceased
To Phil; permanent pancreatic damage
To Sue; permanent vascular damage
To Jerri; permanent psychosis and vascular damage

... and so forth.

In Memoriam. These were comrades whom I had; there are no better. They remain in my mind, and the enemy will never be forgiven. The "enemy" was their mistake in playing. Let them all play again, in some other way, and let them be happy.

- Philip K Dick; A Scanner Darkly

Yaaa RIGHT NO ONE HAS BEEN PROVEN TO DIE FROM WEED THATS ALL BS

nnewman
Circle Kicker

Post by nnewman » 30 Apr 2010 10:11

Jeremy wrote:
ObArA'BaRs wrote:
BainbridgeShred wrote: There are over 900 chemicals in Marijuana (Once flame is put to green) that scientists have no knowledge on the effect on the brain/body. Definitely some scary shit.
Not if you vaporize it with a volcano.
Even if you vaporize you are still 40% to 300% more likely to suffer from a mental illness than if you don't use drugs.

The comparisons in this topic are ridiculous by the way. Being addicted to footbag, addicted to sugar, addicted to caffeine, even addicted to religion (and I hope you all know how much I hate religion) has nothing like the negative physical effect on your life as being addicted to illicit drugs. Those things are incomparable. I wanted to finish off with this quote from one of my favourite books. Can you imagine the same thing being written about any of those other substances (caffeine, sugar, footbag etc.)?

---------------

Author's Note

This has been a novel about some people who were punished entirely too much for what they did. They wanted to have a good time, but they were like children playing in the street; They could see one after another of them being killed - run over, maimed, destroyed - but they continued to play anyhow. We really all were very happy for a while, sitting around not toiling but just bullshitting and playing, but it was for such a terribly brief time, and then the punishment was beyond belief: even when we could see it, we could not believe it. For example , while I was writing this I learned that the person whom the character Jerry Fabin is based killed himself. My friend on whom I based the character Ernie Luckman died before I began the novel. For a while I myself was one of these children playing in the street; I was, like the rest of them, trying to play instead of being grown up, and I was punished. I am on the list below, which is a list of those to whom this novel is dedicated, and what became of each.

Drug misuse is not a disease, it is a decision, like the decision to step out in front of a moving car. You would call that not a disease but an error of judgement. When a bunch of people begin to do it, it is a social error, a life-style. In this particular life-style the motto is "Be happy now because tomorrow you are dying," but the dying begins almost at once and the happiness is a memory. It is, then, only a speeding up, an intensifying, of the ordinary human existence. It is not different from your life-style, it is only faster. It all takes place in days or weeks or months instead of years. "Take the cash and let the credit go," as Villon said in 1460. But that is a mistake if the cash is a penny and the credit is a whole lifetime.

There is no moral in this novel; it is not bourgeois; it does not say they were wrong to play when they should have toiled; it just tells what the consequences were. In Greek drama they were beginning, as a society, to discover science, which means causal law. Here in this novel there is Nemesis: not fate, because any one of us could have chosen to stop playing in the street, but, as I narrate from the deepest part of my life and heart, a dreadful Nemesis for those who kept on playing. I myself, I am not a character in this novel; I am the novel. So, though, was our entire nation at this time. This novel is about more people than I knew personally. Some we all read about in the newspapers. It was, this sitting around with our buddies and bullshitting while making tape recordings, the bad decision of the decade, the sixties, both in and out of the establishment. And nature cracked down on us. We were forced to stop by things dreadful.

If there were any "sin," it was that these people wanted to keep on having a good time forever, and were punished for that, but, as I say, think of it only in a Greek or morally neutral way, as mere science, as deterministic impartial cause-and-effect. I loved them all. Here is the list, to whom I dedicate my love:

To Gaylene; deceased
To Ray; deceased
To Francy; permanent psychosis
To Kathy; permanent brain damage
To Jim; deceased
To Val; massive permanent brain damage
To Nancy; permanent psychosis
To Joanne; permanent brain damage
To Maren; deceased
To Nick; deceased
To Terry; deceased
To Dennis; deceased
To Phil; permanent pancreatic damage
To Sue; permanent vascular damage
To Jerri; permanent psychosis and vascular damage

... and so forth.

In Memoriam. These were comrades whom I had; there are no better. They remain in my mind, and the enemy will never be forgiven. The "enemy" was their mistake in playing. Let them all play again, in some other way, and let them be happy.

- Philip K Dick; A Scanner Darkly

Yaaa RIGHT NO ONE HAS BEEN PROVEN TO DIE FROM WEED THATS ALL BS

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 02 May 2010 22:35

nnewman wrote:Yaaa RIGHT NO ONE HAS BEEN PROVEN TO DIE FROM WEED THATS ALL BS
Read the quote. He's not talking about herb, but a drug called substance d from A Scanner Darkly and using the authors note as an analog towards societal lifestyle choices. Not directly towards marijuana use.

Why does it matter if there's drugs in footbag. We play hacky sack. It's not like we're solving world issues.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 02 May 2010 23:50

just wanted to clarify a little more. By substance d, the author is placing all drugs under 1 main category d (d=drug). He could be talking about anything from heroin to whatever. We need to differentiate between the post as a critique on drug use overall from an attack solely towards marijuana. Jeremy will probably (definitely) correct me if I'm wrong about his or the author's intentions. I feel like most of modified's readers mis-interpret posts in the majority of the discussion section.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 03 May 2010 03:52

Yep, the quote is about all the drug abuse in Philip K Dick's life, which inspired him to write the book. The list at the end are his friends who died or were damaged from drug use. It's not specifically about marijuana and it's unlikely that marijuana had a significant impact on those health problems because they were doing many other more serious drugs in obviously dangerous quantities. The point of that quote of course, which I thought was obvious but perhaps wasn't, was an attempt to demonstrate the ridiculous comparison between drug addiction and addictions to things like sugar, caffeine, religion, footbag, video games etc. Of course it's possible that any kind of addiction can destroy a person's life - but serious drug addictions are obviously terrible and the attitude in this topic of essentially trivialising them is dangerous.

On the statement that;
aaa RIGHT NO ONE HAS BEEN PROVEN TO DIE FROM WEED THATS ALL BS
I would disagree with this, unless you want to get into a debate about "prove." I would agree that evidence of a direct and immediate death due to smoking weed (ie. an overdose) is definitely lacking - I wouldn't claim that's ever happened. But certainly there have been many deaths that could be attributed to long term weed use, and indeed to stupid actions while under the influence of weed. In particular the link between weed and cancer is very well documented. It's a little harder to determine than tobacco because most people who smoke weed regularly for a long term also smoke tobacco, but a quick search of the literature at google scholar shows a number of examples of people who have smoked weed and not tobacco and died of lung cancer. There's also the issue of mental health - where I think I've quoted the study in this topic (or certainly one of the topics on modified) that showed that even in people with no history or detected pre disposition to mental illness, getting stoned once creates a statistically significant increase to the chance of later being afflicted with a mental illness, let alone getting stoned regularly. People with mental illness have much lower life expectancies and especially a high frequency of suicide, which is, at least in Australia, the number one killer of males aged between 15 and 30 - essentially the demographic of modified.

People might not die from overdosing on marijuana, but it almost certainly makes some people mentally ill who then die due to their illness, and it certainly gives people cancer, which they die of.

Of course people die of all kinds of things, and the fact that marijuana causes some deaths gives us no real information to the risk. I smoke occasionally and I know many people who do as well, and none of them are close to being dead yet.

The issue really is learning the facts. Marijuana does increase your risk of death. Drug addiction in general is not the same as being addicted to footbag. Drug abuse causes significant harm. If you are going to use drugs illegally, I would say that it's really important that you genuinely educate yourself, not be reading websites that are pushing particular agendas (both for or against drugs), but the genuine scientific literature. Be careful. Understand what you're doing and what risks you're taking.

Zac Jackson
Fearless

Post by Zac Jackson » 09 May 2010 10:24

TomTilly wrote:

The funny fact is that most of the footbagges smoke weed (as I saw at the bigger events), and banning them would not work, and it would kill the friendly athmosphare of this competitions.
A poll in the discussion forum says otherwise.

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=6356

I disagree that it would kill the friendly atmosphere, because if you need drugs to be friendly, theres more wrong with you than substance abuse :wink:

dont get me wrong, I have a lot of friends who smoke weed, some of them being the top freestylers in the world, but I dont let it bother me, infact it doesnt bother me at all. everyone is allowed to make there own choices in life. my choice just happens to be to not smoke.
Your next task: Go to the bathroom.
Wash your face.
Put your shoulders hunched upwards.
Look really, really slowly upwards towards the mirror like in the movies
And slap yourself in the face.
With your game face on.
And go shred with jim.
It'll work, trust me.
-Jay Boychuk

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 10 May 2010 15:40