Drugs in footbag

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
Wu_
Multidex Master
Posts: 250
Joined: 19 Jun 2007 13:07
Location: Mainz (R-P,Germany), Vero Beach (FL,USA)

Post by Wu_ » 05 Sep 2007 11:10

Blue_turnip wrote:
Wu_ wrote:I agree with Ben ... Jeremy does do his thing the right way ... but without a real source link or something along that line we can only take his word for it that what he is saying is true.

:oops: here is a link stating that alcohol is worse than xtc brought to us by a british newspaper... but as always media can twist things around so you can never be quite sure unless you do serious research on this topic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/ma ... hol123.xml

another little article from ezines where the author is stating that sugar addiction is comparable with smoking, alcohol or even gambling. Again I wouldn't be too sure.. since these are always people from some kind of magazine talking on these topics

http://ezinearticles.com/?Control-Your- ... &id=299012

...
not tryin to really prove a point.. just some sources thrown out there
Not throwing an insult at you but IMHO theres a fine line between stating something thats backed up by evidence and filling a post with blue underlined text that noone's going to click on. Unless people actually ask you to 'give evidence' or whatever, its pretty much useless.

I lolled hard at Ken's post about cutting up footbags.
I don't take it as an insult since there isn't anything insulting in what your saying... I really could careless if you or anybody clicks on those links... I just posted it for those in doubt or for those showing interest on the topic at hand.
If somebody were to actually ask for evidence he could google it his damn self if you ask me. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to google.
I do think it is nice though if somebody states something specific like.. Alcohol is more dangerous than XTC for this or that reason and than has a good source to show that your actually doing research on this topic and not just talking out of your ass (and that is no attack to anybody at all).

Drugs in footbags... too bad we let the cat out of the bag. would of been a sweet way to sell some weed :P ..matter of fact.. it still is! :D ..drugs in lavers? ;)
Image

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

justinkicks77
Hack Fiend
Posts: 24
Joined: 04 Apr 2007 09:42
Location: Midwest USA

Post by justinkicks77 » 07 Sep 2007 07:27

I'm not aiming at anyone...but I just gotta say that I just can't accept that weed does little to effect someone long term. I know too many of my old high school friends that were pot heads (highly intelligent young people) and there is a marked difference in them from before they started regularly using pot and after. And I'm not just talking about personality (although many of them are way more apathetic and paranoid about everything...to the point of one of them thinking the president is listening in on his phone conversations to bust his growing/selling of pot. But I am talking about their mental faculties as well. When you talk to them...they are just 'slower'...that is the only way I can really put it. Their brains seem to take a while to engage when just carrying on a conversation and trying to retrieve answers and information for even just small talk. And these friends of mine don't use or abuse any other drugs...just pot...not even alcohol. Again...I appreciate research and facts for and against...I'm just telling you from my experience it is hard to say pot doesn't have any negative effects on the mind...when I know specific examples of people whose brains are just fried from years of pot use.

User avatar
CautionFragile
BSOS Beast
Posts: 410
Joined: 05 Jun 2007 05:45
Location: Sudbury, Ontario

Post by CautionFragile » 07 Sep 2007 08:33

Oh pot totally fricken' slows you down man. But it has been proven somewhere by someone, I think it may have been Ali G, that weed just slows down the brain synapses or whatever they are, the electric firing muhgiggers, and puts brain cells to sleep rather than killing them.

I will say that I do enjoi the mellow pace I have. I'm never stressed, or feeling impatient, or frustrated because someone in front of me is going slower or anything. I also don't like, tallllllk liiiiiiiiike thhisssssssss maaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnn :lol:

The only thing on this planet that makes me want to fucking freak out is my roommates cat. If it wasn't for that little piece of shit cat, my life would be frustration-free, but that little dickhead will piss off anyone who has to live with it :x .

User avatar
Wu_
Multidex Master
Posts: 250
Joined: 19 Jun 2007 13:07
Location: Mainz (R-P,Germany), Vero Beach (FL,USA)

Post by Wu_ » 07 Sep 2007 16:27

cautionfragile i second that.. i am already missing the slow pace 8O
on weed everything is so layed back. ..ah damnit.. this quitting thing is gonna be a fight to the end.
on weed i could get whacked in the head by a flying object and be like "ouch.. hmm.. what da.. ah forget it.. twist that shit up" :lol:
if somethin hit me in the head now.. id be more like "mofa! WTF man!! AAARRRR" *throw somethin back that weighs 3 times what i got hit with*
and paranoia does definitely come with smokin weed.. if i ever smoke weed and get really stoned and be like in a crowd of ppl my paranoia just jumps off like fuckin crazy.. somebody laughs i look in that direction make sure they aint laughin bout me. or i feel like 10 ppl are starin at me and once i look at them i notice , doh wtf are u doin man. i dont have any paranoia though that stuck with me.
Image

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

User avatar
Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender
Posts: 4512
Joined: 12 Oct 2004 19:14
Location: Guy's American Kitchen & Bar

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 08 Sep 2007 00:00

Image
Image
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

User avatar
Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod
Posts: 1239
Joined: 29 Nov 2004 03:55
Location: Melbourne

Post by Blue_turnip » 08 Sep 2007 01:07

This thread is a good read.
Oliver Adams

monkeybilla
Shredalicious
Posts: 113
Joined: 22 Jul 2007 04:44
Location: wantagh ny
Contact:

Post by monkeybilla » 11 Sep 2007 15:56

i think that you should not do drugs but its their decision and if their willing to endanger their lives for nothing than be my guests but its their decsion not ours.
havent footbaged for a while but im back.

User avatar
Dave Da
Shredaholic
Posts: 178
Joined: 07 Mar 2007 07:27
Location: Wayne, Michigan

Post by Dave Da » 21 Sep 2007 07:47

The whole supporting your argument with evidence it great, but it doesn’t really matter.
I believe if you seek you shall find evidence that supports any argument in the entire world. Everything people come up with about this topic is based on their opinion and then they can Google whatever they want and find supporting evidence.

What it boils down to is that this sport is so diverse that you will always get conflicting arguments about controversial topics.

To each their own, everyone has a right to their opinions and everyone is responsibly for their own actions.

Great if you smoke pot, great if you don’t. You shouldn’t base your entire opinion on a person because he/she smokes pot/drinks alcohol or not.
DAVID M. DAVIS

In life footbag is always there for you.

jerab
Shredalicious
Posts: 115
Joined: 12 Jul 2006 12:15
Location: Saginaw Mi

Post by jerab » 13 Oct 2007 17:42

My thoughts,

People in general seem to have the tendency to latch on to or become addicted to something in there life. They do it because it makes them feel good. I think the real question is, are they a good person or not? Simple as that, and here is my point.

People will become deep in religion/church, in some peoples opinion, addicted. It makes them feel good. Most are good people. Others will parade around scorning those who are not their way. Or, some will molest their alter boy.
People will enjoy gambling, and only partake on occassion, as a good person. Others will forget about their entire family, loose their house, and every dime they have, as they become obsessed.
I could go on, but I will stop with this:
Some people like to drink or do drugs. Some of these people would give the shirt off their own back to help someone out. Some are the best employees a place could have. Some are the best friend you could ever have. And some are just not RESPONSIBLE, some are just bad people, a bad apple, that spoiles the rest.
So before you decide to pass judgement, think about the last time someone you did not know helped you out. They just may have been a religious, gambeling pothead, and a really good person.....

Jerab

User avatar
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"
Posts: 10178
Joined: 08 Jan 2003 00:20
Location: Tasmania

Post by Jeremy » 14 Oct 2007 03:12

If we redefine words to mean whatever we'd like them to mean, the words become meaningless. Just putting that out there.

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star
Posts: 4141
Joined: 12 Jul 2003 18:33
Location: Winterpeg, Manisnowba
Contact:

Post by hacksterbator » 21 Oct 2007 18:32

i think that as a step towards legitimizing our sport we should be looking towards having drug testing at major events and enforcing antiusage laws. Most major amateur sporting events world wide have drug testing; olympic games, panam games, commonwealth games, various national championships, the list goes on. Hell, i've been tested on 2 occasions in other sports. i think it would be a good thing for footbag, and mandatory if we ever want to see it accepted into any legitimate organized multi-sport games. hey it could possibly even help to dispell the pot smoking hippy hacky sacker stigma most of us in north america have to deal with on a regular basis. i do however doubt that the community at large would support this idea.
A.G.

RawSko
Green Footbag Ninja
Posts: 1386
Joined: 21 Nov 2005 16:44
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Post by RawSko » 21 Oct 2007 19:27

hacksterbator wrote:i think that as a step towards legitimizing our sport we should be looking towards having drug testing at major events and enforcing antiusage laws. Most major amateur sporting events world wide have drug testing; olympic games, panam games, commonwealth games, various national championships, the list goes on. Hell, i've been tested on 2 occasions in other sports. i think it would be a good thing for footbag, and mandatory if we ever want to see it accepted into any legitimate organized multi-sport games. hey it could possibly even help to dispell the pot smoking hippy hacky sacker stigma most of us in north america have to deal with on a regular basis. i do however doubt that the community at large would support this idea.
That would put an end to Vasek's Reign.
Zack Fourth wrote:Shit! Vasek, I'm nervous! What do you do when you're nervous?
Vasek wrote:Smoke a big joint... imagine nice girl
:wink:

jk, I'll bet he'd quit for a bit leading up to the event if he needed to. I think it's a cool idea, and obviously will be necessary eventually. I'd support it right now, for sure. Worlds was the only time I smoked all year (except later at Wakahakee), but it makes perfect sense to have drug testing at big tourneys. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Big ups, Andrew Grant!
Ben Roscoe

User avatar
PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler
Posts: 2475
Joined: 02 Aug 2006 17:43
Location: Cleveland, OH
Contact:

Post by PegLegHolly » 21 Oct 2007 20:03

hacksterbator wrote:i think that as a step towards legitimizing our sport we should be looking towards having drug testing at major events and enforcing antiusage laws. Most major amateur sporting events world wide have drug testing; olympic games, panam games, commonwealth games, various national championships, the list goes on. Hell, i've been tested on 2 occasions in other sports. i think it would be a good thing for footbag, and mandatory if we ever want to see it accepted into any legitimate organized multi-sport games. hey it could possibly even help to dispell the pot smoking hippy hacky sacker stigma most of us in north america have to deal with on a regular basis. i do however doubt that the community at large would support this idea.
this does seem to be the way to get rid of the stoner hacky slacker stereotype, but it wouldn't end all stereotype... just a few people that know the sport would be drug tested. i think it would discourage some people from competitions, but encourage more unofficial events.

that's a great idea, andrew!

i always wondered if any footbaggers used steroids... and if they ranked high in competitions. what are the ifpa rules on steroids and other illegal substances? are there any?
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

User avatar
PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler
Posts: 2475
Joined: 02 Aug 2006 17:43
Location: Cleveland, OH
Contact:

Post by PegLegHolly » 21 Oct 2007 20:05

PegLegHolly wrote:
hacksterbator wrote:i think that as a step towards legitimizing our sport we should be looking towards having drug testing at major events and enforcing antiusage laws. Most major amateur sporting events world wide have drug testing; olympic games, panam games, commonwealth games, various national championships, the list goes on. Hell, i've been tested on 2 occasions in other sports. i think it would be a good thing for footbag, and mandatory if we ever want to see it accepted into any legitimate organized multi-sport games. hey it could possibly even help to dispell the pot smoking hippy hacky sacker stigma most of us in north america have to deal with on a regular basis. i do however doubt that the community at large would support this idea.
this does seem to be the way to get rid of the stoner hacky slacker stereotype, but it wouldn't end all stereotype... just a few people that know the sport would be drug tested. i think it would discourage some people from competitions, but encourage more unofficial events.

that's a great idea, andrew!

i always wondered if any footbaggers used steroids... and if they ranked high in competitions. what are the ifpa rules on steroids and other illegal substances? are there any?
an afterthought: there would probably need to be more funding for drug testing.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod
Posts: 1341
Joined: 02 Sep 2005 19:45
Location: Palatine/Chicago Burbs

Post by crazylegs32 » 21 Oct 2007 23:33

I agree with the drug testing once our sport is established and has some sponsors or people willing to pay big entry fees. If people pay 50 dollars each for the test then we could test for performance enhancers, cocaine, opiates and meth. And in the end what good would have been done? Are there sponsors who think were high but they are just waiting for us to prove our legitimacy?
Am I the only one to notice that our sport is so small that the world champs is less organized than a weekend of little league at the local baseball field? Who gets the burden of the testing and the telling people they are disqualified? The mystical IFPA?

User avatar
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"
Posts: 10178
Joined: 08 Jan 2003 00:20
Location: Tasmania

Post by Jeremy » 21 Oct 2007 23:48

How much money do you give to the IFPA and how much time do you volunteer Jon? World\'s is disorganised because the IFPA gets less money than little league and relies completely on volunteers. It doesn\'t have lots of kids parents happy to volunteer, but it doesn\'t have lots of past or present players giving up their time either.

The touch football comp I play in requires each player to pay about $100 to the organisation for a season. How much does the average player donate to the IFPA in a year?

Regarding drugs; yeah it\'s impractical to do testing at the moment, but perhaps anybody seen doing drugs during a tournament could be automatically disqualified.

I willing to bet that if that rule was enforced and everybody knew about it, they would refrain from doing drugs (at least noticeably) at tournaments - even Vasek would.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod
Posts: 1341
Joined: 02 Sep 2005 19:45
Location: Palatine/Chicago Burbs

Post by crazylegs32 » 22 Oct 2007 00:17

This years worlds was drug free, zero use on site. The complaints of weed use were from people who traveled out to the houses far away from Disney. Thats more than I can say for most of the 7 worlds Ive been to.
As far as the disorganization- its all on the players, we are the ifpa. So stop whining about some guys that smoked weed and promote the sport in an intelligent way.

User avatar
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"
Posts: 10178
Joined: 08 Jan 2003 00:20
Location: Tasmania

Post by Jeremy » 22 Oct 2007 02:19

Well I'm a life IFPA member, I'm a member of the International Footbag Committee, I was a member of the board of directors, I'm a volunteer member of the sanctioning committee, where I approve events for sanctioning - prior to me taking that role, there was often a huge wait for events to be approved. I'm also a member of the membership committee, and I always volunteer to do anything IFPA related that I think needs doing. I also make discrete donations sometimes.

You can say "it's on all the players," but would you agree that some players make more of an effort to support the IFPA than others? Wouldn't you agree that it's possible to complain about people smoking weed and also promote the sport in an intelligent way. I've played in front of crowds of over 10,000 people, I do all kinds of different things to promote the sport. Footbag is not my number 1 priority in life, I care more about work and I'm more interested in science, so I put more effort into both those things, but I still care a lot about footbag, and I feel like I've done a fair bit, considering the only IFPA sanctioned tournament I've attended I organised (2007 Aus Champs) and everything I get from being a member, I can get anyway.

I also note that at no point did I complain about drugs or anything related to drugs. I simply provided a possible solution to something other people perceived as a problem.

I found your initial post as overly critical of the IFPA, perhaps unintentionally given your second post, but your second post misrepresented my position completely, and simplified the issue to the ridiculous stage where you're saying that we can either complain about drugs or promote the sport, but not do both.

Scott
Shredalicious
Posts: 91
Joined: 01 Jun 2005 23:51
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Scott » 22 Oct 2007 17:12

Recreational drug use and sport is a hot topic in Australia at the moment.

One of our highest profile sports stars (who had previously been treated for drug addiction) was sacked by his club after being arrested for drug possession. It turns out the drugs he had were prescription and not illegal and he is now considering suing both the police and former club.

This seems to be a complex issue and I doubt that footbag with its limited resources would be able to implement an effective drug policy.

While I agree that every attempt should be made to eliminate the use of performance enhancing drugs, I would like to raise the following issues in relation to recreational drug use and sports.

What is the problem with players using recreational drugs? Is it because it’s illegal? If so why shouldn’t any player who breaks the law receive the same punishment? Is it because it reflects badly on the sport? If so shouldn’t all activities which reflect badly receive the same treatment?

Certainly when an individual is part of a team or professional organisation the team or organisation should be able to set standards of behaviour for their representatives. But again why is the use of recreational drugs treated any differently to other illegal or anti-social activities?

I would just like to ad that I don’t use or condone the use of recreational drugs.

P.S. Jeremy, the 2006 Aus Champs were also IFPA sanctioned (although it probably wasn’t mentioned).

mc
Modifiend
Posts: 7628
Joined: 22 Apr 2002 15:16
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by mc » 22 Oct 2007 17:23

i once saw a freedom bag that had been modified so that there was velcro on one of the seams, and you could separate the seam and throw some pot in there.

So, I think that is a great example of drugs in footbag.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Post Reply