Unhealthy to reuse water bottles?

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
sniper4life
Multidex Master

Unhealthy to reuse water bottles?

Post by sniper4life » 25 Apr 2008 21:38

I have been hearing that it is bad for you to continually reuse a water bottle or have it subjected to hot or cold temperatures. This is said to cause chemicals of the plastic to get into the water. Personally I am big into carrying around water bottles because they are convenient and otherwise I feel dehydrated. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or information on this subject. I have seen mixed reviews.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 25 Apr 2008 22:34

This reminds me of a rumour I heard recently that Nalgene bottles can cause cancer or something... I did a quick search and found this: http://londoncommons.net/node/1803

Something about the recycle #7 on the bottom of the bottle means it's bad? That's what I heard through word of mouth.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 25 Apr 2008 23:45

Quick google search: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp
http://walking.about.com/od/fluids/f/reusingbottles.htm

- These sites claim that this theory was refuted, but say that the real danger of reusing bottles is bacteria and fungi that grow in partially filled open bottles, so you should clean a used bottle before using it.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Johnny
Post Master General

Post by Johnny » 26 Apr 2008 05:31

I've heard that if you reuse water bottles (of the non-nalgene type) long enough, the water can break down into estrogen-mimicking compounds that steal your beard and your masculinity, thus destroying your life forever.

:lol:
Johnny Suderman

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 26 Apr 2008 19:20

I don't think reuse is going to get any more plastic into the water than just the original water sitting in it would.
Oliver Adams

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 03 May 2008 07:43

I've heard that the freezing and thawing and refreezing of the bottles causes the bottles to release the plastic's chemicals(or something..) into the water. The most i'll use a disposable bottle for is 2 days. But i never really freeze my water bottles anyway.

snafu1322
Multidex Master

Post by snafu1322 » 04 May 2008 09:02

"There are over 150 peer-reviewed studies that show that bisphenol A is linked to breast cancer, to attention deficit disorder, to obesity and a whole host of developmental problems," Freeman said.
BPA, bisphenol A, is used in nalgenes or other shatterproof water bottles and the chemical is released when the bottle is exposed to heat, ie dishwasher.

It is in most stuff with a 5 or 7 recycling number.

I think the problem is already fixed but dunno, toss out your old nalgenes i guess...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TVNewsAt11
Dupuy Bateman IV

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 07 May 2008 16:18

snafu1322 wrote: I think the problem is already fixed but dunno, toss out your old nalgenes i guess...
and then get an aluminum waterbottle and use that...

but just remember that aluminum has been linked to alzheimers. You can't win.
A.G.

snafu1322
Multidex Master

Post by snafu1322 » 08 May 2008 16:09

hacksterbator wrote:
snafu1322 wrote: I think the problem is already fixed but dunno, toss out your old nalgenes i guess...
and then get an aluminum waterbottle and use that...

but just remember that aluminum has been linked to alzheimers. You can't win.
I meant toss your old nalgene and go out and buy a "new and improved one" if you really truly are scared.
Dupuy Bateman IV

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 13 May 2008 15:04

snafu1322 wrote:
hacksterbator wrote:I meant toss your old nalgene and go out and buy a "new and improved one" if you really truly are scared.
no, i know what you meant, i just was saying that sooner or later they will discover that something else is terrible for you and tell you to switch to something else again as more information becomes available. every one i know is all over the sigg water bottles because they aren't made of plastic and there for won't leak chemicals, but it's only a matter of time before those won't be good for you any more.
A.G.

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 16 Jun 2008 22:38

There is a Basha's grocery store near my folk's house.

They put pallets of packages of 20 OZ drinking water bottles out in front of their store, (near the entrance) on the West side...which sits in the sun most of the day.

I assume they do this so they can have more room to display all kinds of useless shit that doesn't matter if it sits in sunlight or not.(and that nobody buys for years anyway.)

I think about doing a mini-video-documentary about that store one afternoon, when passing by...if the manager does'nt move the product inside,after asking him if he knows about bacteria growth.

I will do a mini-docu next time I pass by there.
I'll portray it in a bad way.... easily done for a short video, and leave the defense for the the store to do at a later date.

-n

-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 Jul 2008 01:03

You know that air tight sealed bottles of drinking water won't grow any bacteria in it right?

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 09 Jul 2008 07:27

Lose my beard? Oh noooess.

I reuse my disposable water bottles all the time. I never use Nalgen bottles and they are now banded in Ontario/Canada I believe. People flipped out in Ontario and for a week after this and for a while I saw several Nalgen bottles in every trash can I passed. Stores were selling out of metal bottles every day for weeks and were restocking shelves many times a day.

I don't worry about aluminum. It's in a lot of cook wear. People freaked out before about it. People did research. Long story short don't worry about alu in cook wear or antiperspirant.

I recommend disemboweling a sheep. Stealing its stomach and carrying around your water in your new found water bladder. For those hippies out there please carry it in your over sized hemp canvas pockets.
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 19 Jul 2008 00:51

i hear it's unhealthy to be a dumbass
James McCullough

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 19 Jul 2008 01:45

I wonder how many people tossed their Nalgene water bottles out, and continue to drink canned beverages.

jrstubs
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by jrstubs » 19 Jul 2008 05:51

I used the same saratoga springs water bottle for 6 months...

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 30 May 2010 06:47

I guess it depends on the bottle. Some cheap grocery store-brand bottle should only be used a couple times, but a really nice one (Arrowhead where I live) could be used for a long time. If you're THAT concerned, cheack out the plastic its made from.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 09 Jun 2010 15:13

The problem with reusing plastic water bottles (Of the Dasani, Arrowhead variety) isn't that plastics leach out into the water but that a wet, plastic environment is a nice niche for bacteria growth. Simply wash your water bottle out well with cold water and you should be fine.

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 09 Jul 2010 14:44

i have always reused water bottles... and have never gotten sick. Maybe because I don't reuse really crappy bottles?

Ohios1
Multidex Master

Post by Ohios1 » 23 Jun 2011 09:47

the last time i heard of it was when sheryl crow said that she had breast cancer and the reason was due to her water bottles that was in her, that was reused over and over again.Something about the hot air from the sun released a chemical from the bottle that is connected to brest cancer. When you look at breast cancer theres something that in the bottle that matches. well, enough about tits. :(
angeski