Eating Disorders

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
calemccoy
Flower Child

Eating Disorders

Post by calemccoy » 03 Sep 2008 00:56

It seems there is a topic about every issue on modified, but i hadnt seen one about this, and im interested to see the discussion it will raise amongst the footbag community. Some main things to talk about:

what do you think of them?

do you know anyone with an eating disorder?

do you have an eating disorder?

does footbag create pressure to be a certain weight/size?

as far as the last question, i think that it definitely does... if you look at the most elite of the elite, they are all under 200 pounds, with possible exceptions of the super buff players like ales zelinka. obviously, the most difficult tricks (symposium/multi dex) are almost impossible if you are heavy/bulky.

i know i have personally felt this pressure to alter my body to be more like the thinner players who can throw these nimble/agile moves that come easier if you are light and thin. i am bulimic/anorexic, and am curious if anyone else in the community suffers from it. i have already gotten one response to my footblog from another player about this, but i do not want to reveal their name without permission. but there are at least two players who have/have had an eating disorder. are there any more out there? what do you think of eating disorders, or what are your experiences with them with other people, or just what is your opinion?
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 03 Sep 2008 01:54

I don't know anybody with an eating disorder.

I don't have an eating disorder.

If footbag creates pressure to be a certain weight/size I certainly don't think "really skinny" is that size.

The thing I notice when you look at the "cream" of footbag players is that they tend to be fairly buff. In fact I suspect there are quite a few who are over 200 pounds (90kg). It depends on who you mean by "the cream" I guess.

I think for the most difficult tricks you need really good muscle control and strength - being really skinny isn't an advantage at all. I'm fairly skinny - 167 cm, 64 kg, and working on putting on more weight, not losing it. For stuff like blurry symp torques, the hard part is pretty much just strength - if anything everything else about the move is easier than the non symp version (less footwork, so more time).

The other thing is that footbag is such a high endurance sport. If you're not eating enough food you're going to struggle big time.

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 03 Sep 2008 05:13

What do you think of them?
Completely real, but completely unnecessary and easily avoided.

Do you know anyone with an eating disorder?
I used to have one, [way before footbag..]

Do you have an eating disorder?
Above,

Does footbag create pressure to be a certain weight/size?
Um, no. I say this in the light that, if you want to be good at any single sport demands that you aren't obese. There might be an exception here or there, but I'm thinking of sports with alot of movement. I don't think that just because Damian is less than 1XX pounds, that I "have to be". I think that, if I were say fat beforehand, and I had difficulty hitting atomic because there was simply too much matter, I would eventually lose weight until possible. On the flipside, I am too skinny at the moment, I think. I think that I need to gain muscle on my upper body, and that it would help to maintain balance. This isn't because I saw Ales two weeks ago. I don't have to look at the elite to see examples of how slightly more muscle is beneficial, I can look at any beginning player who is more "built". So by the term "peer pressure" and a social meaning, I would say no, but by physical demand, and the pressure it creates yes, footbag does create "pressure".

Footbag I DO think is unique slightly from the physical demands of other sports, in terms of what genetics gave you. Luckily, our greatest athletes are tall, short, a little "chunky", superskinny, massive crank, no crank, etc. Dedication and practise I think will do more than genetically having 15% more crank than someone else, or having 15 pounds less or more than someone else. This however, holds true really only at our stage in the sport, where we don't have coaches pushing every top athlete's body to the absolute limit.
Jay Boychuk

janis
Post Master General

Re: Eating Disorders

Post by janis » 04 Sep 2008 01:58

what do you think of them?
Just ordinary people who often have problems with their self image.

do you know anyone with an eating disorder?
One of my cousins had really bad anorexia, she was hospitalized and nearly died due to other complications

do you have an eating disorder?
Don't think so.

does footbag create pressure to be a certain weight/size?
Only at the really high levels, I think that there is a pressure to get built in a certain way. And I don't think being really skinny is an advantage at all, strength is more important imo.

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 26 Feb 2009 22:46

just wanted to point out how funny jeremy's response is in this thread contrasted with his recent thread about the "rise of the tall, skinny footbag player."
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 26 Feb 2009 23:13

you can't hit symp whirr if you're "really" skinny, lol.
Oliver Adams

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 27 Feb 2009 00:48

This is a topic about eating disorders. Here is a person who I would define as having an eating disorder and "really" skinny.

Tall and skinny people who do not have eating disorders are obviously not comparable to skinny people with eating disorders.

This is a cheap attack not taking into account the context of the two posts. Yes I don't think that the tallest possible person in the world or the skinniest person in the world would therefore be the best footbagger in the world.

Misquoting is probably more dishonest than openly lying.

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 27 Feb 2009 01:37

woah, harsh much? take it easy, i just thought it was sort of funny. you could take down that picture. that wasnt in any way an "attack", just an observation that you once said buffe rplayers were better, than said skinnier (within reason) players were better. im not trying to discredit you or however else you feel threatened.
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

dyalander
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by dyalander » 27 Feb 2009 17:24

There is a lot of research going on into the neuroscience of eating disorders and I think that this research will have a significant impact in our ability to treat them, which at the moment is not very good (well at least it wasn't very good when I was doing Psychology about 9 years ago). A high percentage of people with these disorders will be killed by them - I think something like 40% of patients diagnosed with anorexia nervosa I can't remember what it was for other eating disorders but I think it was lower for bulimia nervosa.

I think to call it "unnecessary and easily avoided" would be to underestimate the potentially neurophysical and neurochemical causes and effects of the disease. There is, from memory, some evidence to suggest some individuals have a predisposition towards these disorders, and the neurophysical and neurochemical effects of the disorder make it difficult to treat.

Also given that people suffering these disorders disply the symptom of denial about their disorder asking "Do you suffer from an eating disorder" might not be a good way of identifying sufferers.
Last edited by dyalander on 27 Feb 2009 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Who wears short shorts?
Dylan Govender.

dyalander
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by dyalander » 27 Feb 2009 17:41

A quick search found this site which has some good references and suggested readings down the bottom: http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/med ... disorders/
Who wears short shorts?
Dylan Govender.

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 28 Feb 2009 06:58

who the fuck cares, if you fail at eating you might as well just curl up and die
James McCullough

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 28 Feb 2009 15:26

dyalander wrote:A high percentage of people with these disorders will be killed by them
james wrote:if you fail at eating you might as well just curl up and die
natural selection maybe?
James Randall

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 01 Mar 2009 21:06

natural selection is a joke
James McCullough

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 02 Mar 2009 00:26

Hey James, this subforum is called "discussion" - you're expected to post opinions and things that can be discussed. Dismissive one liners do not generate any discussion. Most of the time I don't even understand what point you're trying to make. Perhaps you could try elaborating on your opinions a little more, or just not bother posting, because at the moment I don't think you add anything to the discussion, which makes your posts a waste of time for everybody.

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 02 Mar 2009 04:13

i don't need to make points cuz i make dallahs, dallahs, hundred dallah billz ya'll, cream baby.

one liners are epic, see?

i feel that last little bit of time was well spent because now i am happy.

what i meant by that other post is that if life had to rely on evolution by natural selection there would be nary a critter to muse over it, but this discussion shan't take place in this thread for it has nothing to do with eating disorders, as riveting as they are.
yeah that explains it, i throw those one-liners in because these topics are mind numblingly dull and exceedingly fruitless, which begs the question why i remain...some things will never be fully understood.
James McCullough

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 02 Mar 2009 04:15

i just realized i spelt numbingly wrong and it's funny and i can't find the edit button and now i'm double posting.
James McCullough

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 02 Mar 2009 22:07

James, at least you managed to get the word 'bling' into your misspelling :lol:

what do you think of them? -I think it's an issue that some people have to deal with, I'm sure there are many ways they begin, such as pressure from society to be a certain body type, etc.

do you know anyone with an eating disorder? -I have a friend who used to be bulimic but she overcame it somehow. She doesn't discuss it much

do you have an eating disorder? -Not that I know of. I love food.

does footbag create pressure to be a certain weight/size? -hahah. That's like asking if any sport creates pressure to be a certain weight/size. Some do, football you can be a huge overweight guy and be on defense, but other sports like soccer, in an average game players run like 8 miles, so you might not see many huge guys. I feel that the size/weight is more of an outcome of participation than pressure. If you're worrying about this sort of pressure that much, you're worrying about how people see your image too much. Be yourself and be proud of it. Eat how much you like and then shred it off as energy :P

Pinkus
Shredalicious

Post by Pinkus » 05 Mar 2009 18:33

james wrote:who the fuck cares, if you fail at eating you might as well just curl up and die
great contribution to the discussion there.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 11 Apr 2009 02:14

jay7 wrote:What do you think of them?
Completely real, but completely unnecessary and easily avoided.
Wow, no they're not easily avoided at all. This society's media has an extreme psychological effect on teenagers, women, and others in general which causes eating disorders. It's cyclical as well because the false image standards are constantly re-enforced by their peers.
duffelbag wrote:what do you think of them? -I think it's an issue that some people have to deal with, I'm sure there are many ways they begin, such as pressure from society to be a certain body type, etc.
Yes.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Josh B
queef magnet

Post by Josh B » 02 Oct 2009 14:06

i know somebody with an eating disorder and they showed me there are these like..."support" forums for people with them. but they are not positive support at all; if anything they push the person further into the disorder. its fuckin weird, really not sure why the communities exist :? "pro-ana" and "thinspiration" are a few of the things they talk about on the site. look it up..its rediculous.

its like a paranoid schizophrenic forum where they tell you everything you type is being tracked by jesus RIGHT NOW!

also theres nothing wrong with wanting to lose a little weight or gain more muscle to be better at footbag. people in any sport want to be in top physical shape to play their best. if youre fat and you want to shred like vasek, and you feel pressure to lose weight, good! thats called motivation.

it might not feel good to be aware of your out of shapedness, but its the first step to growth (well...not growth like that, you know what i mean!)
-JB <?