cigarettes

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
User avatar
zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa
Posts: 2026
Joined: 07 Jul 2004 11:59
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by zachatree » 03 Aug 2010 09:37

I smoke an want to quit, but is hard when everyone around you smokes.

User avatar
baserock love
Hack Fiend
Posts: 33
Joined: 01 Sep 2010 00:58
Location: Concord California
Contact:

Post by baserock love » 16 Sep 2010 02:34

zachatree wrote:I smoke an want to quit, but is hard when everyone around you smokes.
It is, i'm 29, started smoking when i was 12 and i've been trying to quit for a long time.

I'm slowly weening myself off it but i have a really high quality electronic cig i use. I still get my drug (nicotine) but i no longer get asthma, smokers cough, hacking up crap etc, in fact it feels like i'm not smoking at all because i'm really not, it's just water vapor and a bit of nicotine. I smoke it indoors with no smell, it doesn't bother anybody and i love it.

I highly recommend ANYBODY that is having trouble quitting making the switch to a really good one (most are absolute crap, theres only one i recommend). I started out on the 35 mg of nicotine solution and have been stepping it down ever since, i'm on 12 mg now, next i go to 10, then 5, then zero, then i'm gonna be free of this curse finally! I went from smoking 2 packs a day to maybe the one a week i bum when i'm out drinking with friends or whatever.

If anybody wants any info on what i'm using just ask.
Colin Arjuna Davenport

Check out my footblog and help guide me. So many tricks to learn, not sure where to go next.

http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopi ... 508#451508

drillbit
Shredalicious
Posts: 97
Joined: 12 Apr 2010 15:45

Post by drillbit » 14 Dec 2010 08:54

I started with an e cigarette on july 15 2010 and dropped tobacco smokes the very same day and have not had one since.

if you are a smoker and cant see through quiting, i highly reccomend vaping.

i can provide links, info, and insight to anyone that is interested.
I had smoked for almost 29 years and tried quitting many times but could never make it happen. I had tried all methods.....patches, gum, meds, cold turkey....
Since starting vaping i have not had the urge to smoke tobacco at all.

yes it is different than smoking tobacco, the process is different as well as the pace and timing. Overall though it is a cleaner method of delivery, a cleaner "buzz" of the nicotine, and a much less frantic process overall.

AND I AM SAVING $$, half of what i would spend on tobacco!!!

drillbit
Shredalicious
Posts: 97
Joined: 12 Apr 2010 15:45

Post by drillbit » 14 Dec 2010 08:57

baserock love wrote:
I highly recommend ANYBODY that is having trouble quitting making the switch to a really good one (most are absolute crap, theres only one i recommend).
what PV are you using?

we have the following:

-eGo's
-Provape
-WetBox
-USB 5V passthrough in the car and at my work and home computers

User avatar
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski
Posts: 11366
Joined: 23 Jan 2003 23:51
Location: Denver
Contact:

Re: cigarettes

Post by C-Fan » 15 Dec 2010 10:57

calemccoy wrote: any other footbagging smokers out there?
Net players.

User avatar
habitat
Post Master General
Posts: 2992
Joined: 10 Jul 2004 21:29
Location: Spokane, WA

Post by habitat » 15 Dec 2010 12:19

By using the e-cig arent you technically *not* quiting because you are still addicted to nicotine, the addictive chemical in tobacco?
James Randall

User avatar
RipWalker
BSOS Beast
Posts: 427
Joined: 29 Jan 2004 15:43
Location: Binghamton, NY
Contact:

Post by RipWalker » 16 Dec 2010 06:38

If you read his post you'd realize that the e-cig allows him to step down the nicotine amount in several-milligram increments, similar to how a patch would. Eventually he'll step down to 5mG and then zero, making quitting that much easier.
Mark Bull

User avatar
WyrmFyre
Fearless
Posts: 512
Joined: 17 Jun 2009 05:02
Location: Mablethorpe, UK
Contact:

Re: cigarettes

Post by WyrmFyre » 16 Dec 2010 06:51

calemccoy wrote:any other footbagging smokers out there?
Moi. Ive tried vaious quitting methods, ive managed to cut down but sometimes it creeps back up again. The e-cig intrigues me though.

Im also a sucker for caffine.
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

drillbit
Shredalicious
Posts: 97
Joined: 12 Apr 2010 15:45

Post by drillbit » 16 Dec 2010 08:04

habitat wrote:By using the e-cig arent you technically *not* quiting because you are still addicted to nicotine, the addictive chemical in tobacco?
Technically.......it is quitting smoking
Technically.......it is not quitting nicotine

considering the fact that by vaping an ecig one is quitting the most harmful, err...the only harmful, aspect of nicotine addiction........the ecig wins IMO hands down.

roughly there are 4000 chemicals in tobacco cigarettes.....an ecig contains 2-4 depending upon what liquid you are using. carcinogens in tobacco close to 4000, an ecig has zero ........plus zero tar

User avatar
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"
Posts: 10178
Joined: 08 Jan 2003 00:20
Location: Tasmania

Post by Jeremy » 19 Dec 2010 01:59

I read a paper a while ago, which I completely forget the details of, except that it was American, possibly from Harvard, that found that people quitting addictions, especially drug and alcohol addictions were as likely to quit regardless of what method they chose, including cold turkey, but the number of attempts made at quitting was the biggest predictor. I think people were most likely to quit on their 5th attempt from memory. The details I've written were as much as I can remember, but I'm sure a good google search would bring it up. As I recall I found a link to it from a website arguing that AA is completely unhelpful for quitting alcohol.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod
Posts: 1341
Joined: 02 Sep 2005 19:45
Location: Palatine/Chicago Burbs

Post by crazylegs32 » 21 Dec 2010 22:42

You put too much faith into people who write crap Jeremy. Dont you realize most all of it is invalid and they all just keep doing it to make money?

User avatar
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"
Posts: 10178
Joined: 08 Jan 2003 00:20
Location: Tasmania

Post by Jeremy » 22 Dec 2010 01:33

I certainly don't put any faith in what you write.

Pasquar
Fearless
Posts: 517
Joined: 17 Jul 2010 08:02
Location: Columbus, OH/ Philadelphia, PA

Post by Pasquar » 20 Mar 2011 09:33

C-Fan wrote:
calemccoy wrote: any other footbagging smokers out there?
Net players.
a simple observation or a swooping generalization... either way it came off as a bit elitist to me
Jeremy wrote:As I recall I found a link to it from a website arguing that AA is completely unhelpful for quitting alcohol.
yeah I agree for the most part with what you said here (and before it). AA and other such programs have the same rate of success as any other method, except for the fact that AA is court-mandated in many cases and step #2 is admitting that YOU have no control over your addiction alone and that you must surrender to a higher power... separation of church and state???

..off topic a bit I know but that ^ just really pisses me off
Nick Pasquarello


Shred on

User avatar
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski
Posts: 11366
Joined: 23 Jan 2003 23:51
Location: Denver
Contact:

Post by C-Fan » 25 Mar 2011 08:25

Pasquar wrote:
C-Fan wrote:
calemccoy wrote: any other footbagging smokers out there?
Net players.
a simple observation or a swooping generalization... either way it came off as a bit elitist to me
Dude, it was a joke! I thought it was a pretty funny one too.

I was basing it on the fact that, for the 14 years I've been playing, I've seen way more net players (total, and percentage) smoking cigarettes than freestylers. I think that's partially due to the fact that net requires shorter bursts of energy than frestyle, where you need breathing/energy for 30 seconds at a time. Also probably due to the fact that most net players I've encountered have been European or from Quebec, both areas where people in general smoke more.

Anyway, so much for an attempt at humor. :roll:

User avatar
mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex
Posts: 871
Joined: 16 Feb 2006 17:35
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Contact:

Post by mtoolan » 25 Mar 2011 09:13

i got the joke, ken, don't worry.

you know who needs to quit smoking? mike toolan needs to quit smoking.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

User avatar
habitat
Post Master General
Posts: 2992
Joined: 10 Jul 2004 21:29
Location: Spokane, WA

Post by habitat » 28 Mar 2011 02:26

I cannot relate to people who say they cannot quit smoking or have trouble doing so. Maybe I am the odd one here, but I smoke whenever I feel like it because I don't put value into labels such as smoker/non-smoker or limiting concepts like quitting. I have created a way to transcend physical cravings for tobacco and other behaviors I want to regulate, its called self-respect and personal responsibility. I can have 10 smokes in one night and not even think about smoking for a week or two. Its like people are afraid of actually using their innate will power.

Bitching about how you cannot stop a behavior that you have complete control over, like smoking, has always struck me as a way for a person to shift responsibility of knowing ones self to deal with a problem to some unknown third party that is holding them back from doing what they want to do. Then they waste all of their time blaming the methods of quitting instead of realizing that its their own mind and accepted learned helplessness (addictive personality) that is stopping them. Money and resources wasted.

Besides, smoking is amazing. Why would you want to quit? It feels good to have a smoke, that's why people do it. I cant think of a good reason as a conscious, responsible adult not to smoke. Also, e-cigs are for pussies who just want to smoke indoors and show off their new techno-gizmo. Ill say that the most effective way to stop smoking is to just stop, but I guess that's just my take on it.

(kidding, sort of)

:wink:
James Randall

User avatar
Asmus
Ass Moose
Posts: 3776
Joined: 13 Jun 2004 08:18
Location: Copenhagen
Contact:

Post by Asmus » 28 Mar 2011 15:12

Image

User avatar
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General
Posts: 4092
Joined: 05 Feb 2010 19:53
Location: Drumore, PA

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 26 Jun 2011 10:32

mtoolan wrote: you know who needs to quit smoking? mike toolan needs to quit smoking.
I second that, Mike. Suck on popsickle sticks for a while as a substitute.

For real, best of luck quitting dude. And to all the rest of you smokebaggers (meant affectionately), too.

I feel very strongly about cigs. I, personally, have never tried a cig or even thought about trying one. I never will. I think the tobacco companies knew that they would be addictive when they first came out with them, but they didn't want to let the public know, because, well, *CHA-CHING*...

They knew that people would get hooked on it and they'd forever have constant income from selling their poison.

I like the idea of vaporizing tobacco though. It's a great way to ween yourself off of the stuff, I think.

It just sucks, because I KNOW a lot of you, maybe all of you smokebaggers... Your parents had to have said "Don't smoke. It leads to cancer and is bad for you." I just don't know what's going through a person's head when trying their first cigarette. "Here take a hit." "Cool, can't wait to get cancer". I guess one main reason kids start doing it, is because they see other friends doing it and it makes them look cool, but really? Looking cool in exchange for cancer? Doesn't seem like a logical trade-off to me.

I really do wish you all the best of luck with quitting. Everytime I see a footbag player smoking, I just feel bad that I know they're not able to play at their full potential.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Pasquar
Fearless
Posts: 517
Joined: 17 Jul 2010 08:02
Location: Columbus, OH/ Philadelphia, PA

Post by Pasquar » 03 Jul 2011 20:51

habitat wrote:Bitching about how you cannot stop a behavior that you have complete control over, like smoking, has always struck me as a way for a person to shift responsibility of knowing ones self to deal with a problem to some unknown third party that is holding them back from doing what they want to do. Then they waste all of their time blaming the methods of quitting instead of realizing that its their own mind and accepted learned helplessness (addictive personality) that is stopping them.
You have a unique capability in the realm of cigarettes in that you are able to control the behavior/"cravings" or whatever. You state things from your point of view as though they are facts (not just in this thread, but all the time) and that's a terrible way of viewing the world. Despite what you think, there are genetic characteristics associated with people who are more likely to become addicted/dependent to things (not just drugs, behaviors in general, all-encompassing) as well as factors in socialization of an individual/what environment they are raised in.

I personally am like you in terms of cigs. I feel no "need" or craving for smoking and I can smoke as much/little as I want without fear of becoming dependent. This is not the case for a large portion of the population. Nicotine is an addictive substance, which means it has an effect beyond the basic processes of behavioral modification. When regular smokers quit, they often experience physical symptoms of withdrawal, meaning that there is a physical dependence on the substance.

Also, ever hear of OCD? Behaviors can be EXTREMELY hard to eradicate

The point I'm trying to make is that you cannot judge a whole population based on your subjective experiences with something. Someone may be able to smoke crack once in a while, enjoy it or not, and not think about it. Others claim that they were addicted from the first time they took a hit and from then on were not able to control it (an extreme example, I know)
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote: I think the tobacco companies knew that they would be addictive when they first came out with them, but they didn't want to let the public know, because, well, *CHA-CHING*...
Tobacco itself does not do much harm. Tobacco companies manipulate this substance by adding nicotine to make it addictive along with a slew of other scrumptious chemicals to fuck up your lungs. I agree, it's sick and it's manipulation by making customers likely to become addicted to the product, which in turn will provide them a steady, reliable, and enormous income.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:I just don't know what's going through a person's head when trying their first cigarette. "Here take a hit." "Cool, can't wait to get cancer". I guess one main reason kids start doing it, is because they see other friends doing it and it makes them look cool, but really? Looking cool in exchange for cancer? Doesn't seem like a logical trade-off to me.

I really do wish you all the best of luck with quitting. Everytime I see a footbag player smoking, I just feel bad that I know they're not able to play at their full potential.
Firstly, I think a lot of people when first trying it are not consciously thinking "this will make me look cool", it's more likely a product of the social environment they were in at the time. If everyone around was smoking, that's a norm that is created amongst the group and something that someone may feel pressure and/or desire to conform to. Others (like myself) may have been really high and/or drunk and were told it will enhance the effect (which for being intoxicated it certainly does).

Secondly, it sounds a bit condescending to assume players are not reaching their potential because they smoke. As mentioned above, substances are different for everyone; it's all subjective experience. Players enjoying a smoke doesn't translate to them trading off a cigarette for increased ability. It may very well help a player calm down/decrease anxiety from having a session not go too well. I don't know, it's different for everyone
Nick Pasquarello


Shred on

User avatar
calemccoy
Flower Child
Posts: 1715
Joined: 02 Aug 2007 22:55
Location: southern OR
Contact:

Post by calemccoy » 15 Jul 2011 01:00

Pasquar wrote:
It may very well help a player calm down/decrease anxiety from having a session not go too well. I don't know, it's different for everyone
this is so insightful; sometimes, after a session of not playing well or getting a slight injury, a cigarette definitely does more psychological good for me than it does physical harm.
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Post Reply