Happy 4th!!!

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Jul 2010 23:38

You've raised a point about those countries that is irrelevant. The article I posted is not addressing the actions surrounding those countries at all. I don't know why you keep talking about them.

I'm pretty sure this topic is in the "discussion" subforum, rather than the "let's all talk about how awesome we are and masturbate" subforum. I only posted this essay because one of the blogs I read posted it first;

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2010 ... iotism.php

I didn't use July 4th to call attention to any political agenda. Somebody posted a "discussion" topic about it, and then one of my favourite blogs posted an essay about it that I agreed with, and so I added it to the "discussion." It would be nice if you could actually contribute any kind of content to the discussion, instead of your strawman argument about the Balkans and your patriotic bleating (which is also a strawman, since nobody is criticising the people who brought about America's independence - they're criticising the nationalism of the holiday, which is clearly a completely different thing).

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 10 Jul 2010 20:41

Do you hate fireworks Jeremy?

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Jul 2010 23:38

I wouldn't say hate, but I would say that they're an enormous waste of money. For example in Australia we spend around $5,000,000 each year just for the 30 minute Sydney fireworks display. I don't think $5 million of taxpayer money for half an hour of entertainment is good value for money. Of course my problem isn't with the fireworks, but the priorities of governments.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 11 Jul 2010 09:10

What about a stance on how they affect the environment? Obviously it's not the largest planetkiller, but it does have some impact, right?

What are the laws like regarding fireworks in Australia? Restricted to certain days?

Recently I decided that fireworks were a waste of money and precious ozone, but I'm not entirely sure if they have any legitimate impact, so I'm curious if you know anything more about it than I do.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Jul 2010 20:59

I'm not aware of any environmental impacts, and I would assume that it's minimal. I don't think they would have any impact on the ozone layer, which is in the stratosphere, but even if fireworks were set off in the stratosphere I don't think it would make much difference. I presume they result in some kind of oxidation reaction, but there is heaps of O2 around, and I don't think that's of any concern. I presume they create emissions of carbon dioxide, and probably some kind of nitrogen oxide, and sulphur dioxide, which would all have some environmental impact, but I don't think it would be very significant. I don't know though, I haven't seen any papers about it.

Fireworks are very restricted in Australia these days. I don't even know if you can buy them for private use or not. Mainly you see them let off by governments on special days, especially new years eve. I don't know much about the law regarding them though.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 13 Jul 2010 17:19

I'm pretty sure this topic is in the "discussion" subforum, rather than the "let's all talk about how awesome we are and masturbate" subforum
You sir, are the crown prince of intellectual masturbation.

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 14 Jul 2010 01:50

BainbridgeShred wrote:You sir, are the crown prince of intellectual masturbation.

Intellectually Checkmated!

James Randall

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 14 Jul 2010 04:59

BainbridgeShred wrote: You sir, are the crown prince of intellectual masturbation.
Hahhaha...

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 15 Jul 2010 05:13

Haha, but yet again in this topic we see Dan putting forward completely unsupported and content-less opinions, having them challenged in a meaningful manner and being forced to resort to insults because his position is so untenable. If I'm the crown prince of intellectual masturbation because I only post on subjects that I also read a lot about and care about, than he's the crown prince of pseudo-intellectual bullshit. Pretending to know a lot about things he actually knows nothing about. We saw that with his completely false predictions about the GFC, which were about as far from the truth as he could have been, and we see that now. Pretending to be educated is a long way from actually being educated, and the difference between my posts and Dan's shows that.

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 15 Jul 2010 05:37

Jeremy, I can tell you have reason behind everything you say, and many others do not.

But I laugh at random, incredibly stupid stuff like "Intellectual Masturbation."
Which makes no sense when talking to someone who actually bothered to research what he wrote.

As I recall, intellectual masturbation is when people believe they are smart, simply because they think so. This is also one of the causes of "Male Answer Syndrome," where the supposedly smart person (Usually male, hence the name) makes up answers, trying the be smart.

Hopefully this makes sense.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 15 Jul 2010 10:33

Dude Jeremy you're heaps gay

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 15 Jul 2010 13:51

Hmm. Really? What proof do you have?

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 15 Jul 2010 14:12

I'm also not homophobic, comfortable with my sexuality and not insulted by being called gay. You are, of course, breeching the forum rules, even for discussion, in both your insult and your manner of posting, and we'll see if the moderators tolerate your childish and bigoted behaviour or not. If posting serious content makes me gay, then I'll wear that title proudly.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 15 Jul 2010 18:19

You do you bro, keep doing you

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 15 Jul 2010 22:49

Dan, I think its time to retire your troll jersey. Gay insults man? Thats boring.
James Randall