Penn State University Sex Scandal: Joe Paterno... Guilty?

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Penn State University Sex Scandal: Joe Paterno... Guilty?

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Nov 2011 23:28

Ok new topic.

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-573 ... e-scandal/]BOOM![/b]

This shit is exploding and getting obnoxious stupid here. I go to Penn State University and I just walked downtown to check out the riot. People flipped over a news van, kids were hurling stones at cops, and also broke many store windows. A bunch of selfish, immature bullshit, in my opinion. The guys who flipped the van flipped it so they could say they flipped it... The stone throwers threw stones to say that they were the guys who threw the stones... And the guy(s) who started the riot started to say they started it. Complete egocentrism! All of this violent garbage over Joe Paterno being fired. This is probably the only place I can voice my opinion on the subject without being ridiculed by every soul who goes here, so I'm gonna rant about what I think, and please feel free to throw your opinions in with mine or against mine.

First off, I do not care for these footballs everyone speaks of, but I know enough about the story to have a voice. Most of the kids that were rioting were doing it, not for Joe Paterno (even though they said they were), but they were doing it for the football team. I feel that if no one cared about the football team, like me and a few of my friends up here, then this wouldn't matter as much. I'm not saying that what Sandusky did was right... It was fucking wrong on so many levels. I'm just saying that these rioters are rioting for the wrong reason... they don't want their precious football team to lose this weekend... and if/when we do lose... figurative shit is gonna hit the figurative fan.

Another thing, what the hell good is rioting going to do? Great, first people associate our school with pedophiles and now, after tonight, they're going to associate us with violence and disregard for the law. God, a future employer is gonna love reading that I graduated from PSU. I'm sure I'll get that job in a heartbeat :roll:

And I do feel bad that Joe got completely fired from his coaching position, but COME ON DUDE! You told your higher-ups about the Sandusky business and they didn't do anything about it... AND YOU KNEW THAT THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT... So then I guess you figure all is said and done, no harm done here, right? Nah buddy, you fucked up by not alerting the proper authorities immediately. And yes, maybe Joe is one of the least guilty in the situation... but regardless, he was part of the situation. Plus, you're like 90some years old man! Time to stop coughing up your lungs into your little coaching whistle.

It feels good to finally get my opinion out there to some people who won't judge me.

I'd like to hear any thoughts or opinions on this topic from anyone who cares.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

fatbagger
Multidex Master

Post by fatbagger » 10 Nov 2011 05:32

I agree, the riots are rediculous. It's not like he had no knowlege of the outcome(sandusky kept coming around). He had to be fired. The rioters are just mad they might lose a big game. If this happened 3 months ago there would be no riot.
My main problem is that the media is making paterno out to be the main bad guy when all he is guilty of is not doing what is right. Like I said he needed to be fired for how he handled it but he shouldn't be made out to be the villain. The story everyone needs to be talking about is what the people he reported it to were thinking when they did nothing, or the 26 year old MAN that witnessed the act in progress and did not stop the action or call the police. He just went and told his dad(your 26 dude man up and do something), then the next day they told Paterno. The villains are the univ. officials and the witness who failed to intervene and save a child. Paterno got what he deserved, fired. But there are bigger fish to fry and hopefully now that Paterno is gone the real scum can be delt with. Too many thoughts on this subject to get to.
I like to play.
I want to play good.
Dan Reed

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 10 Nov 2011 09:02

Thanks for your input, Dan. Glad you agree with me.

Another thing I was thinking about today... If this was any other guy, say, someone who works at a convenient store... If that guy was fired for sexually abusing a kid, it would make the news but no one would really give a flying fun. But since he was going to bring us to victory and got fired RIGHT BEFORE a big game, oh boy, better start a riot :roll: :roll: :roll:

Money corrupts, boys and girls... also, don't touch children.
Nick Polini

Funblog

CICFreestyler17
Hack Fiend

Post by CICFreestyler17 » 10 Nov 2011 21:39

I in no way support rioting or sexual abuse. They use to have a riot every year when I attended Western Michigan and it was over nothing. Just to say we had a riot because it was Central/Western football weekend.

However, Joe Paterno is a legend and it goes just beyond one game. What he did was wrong and the rioters are most likely rioting just to riot but he was at Penn State for like 60 years; 45 of those being head coach.

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 15 Dec 2011 19:23

The question of whether Paterno is guilty is IMO and ideological debate in regards to what information he knew, the actions he took, and whether that was "enough" morally. The question of whether he is actually guilty of any criminal charges is entirely different. From what I have heard, he basically responded to the situation appropriately in that he informed the authorities and that's all that was required from him. The issue here concerns the inaction taken by higher-ups who knew of this but did nothing so as to protect the Penn State name and (unfortunately) more importantly the football team.

I would like to provide full disclosure to the fact that I do not know the legal side of this in regards to Paterno and this is based off conversations I have had with people who know a bit more about the law than I do, so arguments against this are welcomed.

Another thing: why has all of this stuff, which has been under wraps for what? 15 years? surfacing now? What exactly happened to cause this heinous situation to be exposed at this point in time and not earlier (or later)?
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 12 Jul 2012 06:27

Pasquar wrote: From what I have heard, he basically responded to the situation appropriately in that he informed the authorities and that's all that was required from him.
7 months later, and this doesn't look to be the case anymore.

An independent report came out today, and it looks like Paterno was pretty active in covering up for Sandusky, despite knowing his history:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/sport ... state.html

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 12 Jul 2012 11:41

Come on, it was just horseplay. Since when was playing with horses a crime?
Nick Polini

Funblog

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 12 Jul 2012 12:27