Legalize it?

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 16 Aug 2004 10:46

Right!

But White people aren't standing on street corners in suburbia hustling passersby with drug deals. They use cell phones, pay phones, land lines, the internet, and email to make more sophisticated less obvious deals. And they grow the stuff in their homes, so they don't have to traffic it in. It is already there. Their biggest concern is meeting demand, not the police.

A pretty picture only looks pretty from the outside.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

420FootBager
Multidex Master

Post by 420FootBager » 17 Aug 2004 08:42

flexthis has it right. I never said that there are no drugs in suburbia just less focus on it because it is less of a problem. There are very few shootings in the burbs due to a drug deal gone bad...
Gus P.-- Get'um up against the wall

Who let all this riff raff into the room
There's one smoking a joint and
Another with spots
If I had my way I'd have all of you shot

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 20 Aug 2004 11:12

www.droptherock.org

good info on the prison-industrial complex, why the Rockefeller Drug Laws are inherently racist, and why it's in the interest of the few to keep these unjust laws in place.

Frenzal
Shredaholic

Post by Frenzal » 21 Aug 2004 00:38

420FootBager wrote:Minoriteys are arrested more for drug use because they live in bad neighboorhoods more then whites.

Most white people live in the suburbs. Where there is less of a problem therefor less focus.
Drop the rock basically says it all:There is a stark racial discrepancy between those who use and sell drugs but avoid arrest and incarceration-mainly middle and upper-class white people-and those who are arrested on drug offenses and incarcerated under the drug laws-mainly poor people of color.

Ie. When it comes to marijuana it is very often the suburbs that are really the bad area, ie the place where most of the pot is grown and consumed. This was very much the case in the US until 15/20 years ago and yet it has always been minorities most often arrested.

And this is the case outside of NY, outside of the US even. This is how it works in most countries with prohibition on the books.
-Dale Jury

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 25 Aug 2004 06:34

yeah totally.

I thought some people would enjoy reading this

Jesus & Marijuana

It would be ironic if the hardcore moral anti drug christians were actually following the teachings of a drug addict (well I may be making the odd exageration here... :wink: )

420FootBager
Multidex Master

Post by 420FootBager » 25 Aug 2004 07:47

[quote=]"FrenzalIe. When it comes to marijuana it is very often the suburbs that are really the bad area, ie the place where most of the pot is grown and consumed. This was very much the case in the US until 15/20 years ago and yet it has always been minorities most often arrested.

And this is the case outside of NY, outside of the US even. This is how it works in most countries with prohibition on the books.[/quote]

this is because in suburbia there is less focus on it because it is less of a problem. There are very few shootings in the burbs due to a drug deal gone bad... as I said before..

Another with spots

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 25 Aug 2004 18:51

I think you are missing the point.

The suburbs are the market for the rough areas. If the middle class white boys weren't able to buy drugs because the police were cutting down more heavily on that market the drug dealers would have a smaller less profitable market. They'd either be forced to lower prices to encourage more people to buy the drugs - since the people in their area can't afford to spend as much money - meaning the dealers would be making smaller profits and it would be a less lucrative buisiness or they could raise prices in an effort to cover their costs better meaning less people would buy the drug. Either way it has a big negative effect on the drug market.

The shootings etc that occur - occur because there is a market for the drugs. If there were no middle class white boys looking for drugs there would be a much smaller market. You are very naive if you believe that there is no connection between the actions of the drug dealers and the size of their market.

420FootBager
Multidex Master

Post by 420FootBager » 26 Aug 2004 04:53

If the people in the burbs stoped smoking how will that lower the price in the ghetto?

They are completly unrealated markets.. If the price for the dealers went down it would not matter because the ghetto dealers there demand would be the same so they would get the same price there by making MORE profit.... soory dude but just because a dealers buying price is cheaper does not mean there selling price will be...

Another with spots

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 26 Aug 2004 05:03

I'm sorry but I can't really understand what you are trying to say.

It appears that what you are saying is that the demand for dope would stay the same if less people (ie the middle class white boys) stopped buying it. To me this does not make sense. If less people are buying dope then there is less demand for dope - that seems very straight forward to me.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 26 Aug 2004 07:13

You are incorrect Jeremy.

420 is dead on.

In the burbs the price is already less than in the ghettos. Here is why. (We are talking about pot right?)

Demand does not set the price. Supply sets the price. In the ghettos people pay more for less. You get 4 20s out of a 50. That is a 30 mark up. If the supplier has mass, then that same 50 just became 15, now you are looking at a 65 markup. You make more the greater your supply and the less is purchased in any given transaction.

In the burbs people don't buy 20s, it is a waste of money and they know this, so they buy larger for less. The dealer makes less in the burbs because his per gram sells are less. If those same buyers stopped buying in the burbs, the dealer now has more to distribute in the ghettos, thereby making more per gram. He actually does better if his quantity hungry suburbanites quit buying.

This has nothing to do with drug deal shootings whatsoever. People without money get greedy when they step into the trade and assume the role of that drug dealer and play the role to gain street cred and survive in the bigger market (the ghetto). In the burbs you are dealing with sophisticated people who are more likely to let 100 slide than in the ghettos where 100 means food on the table or electricity in the house.

Make sense?
~Damon Mathews

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 26 Aug 2004 07:34

again you are missing the point. I am not comparing the prices of drugs in the burbs to in the ghetto. That has nothing to do with if targeting the ghettos and not the burbs is racist or not.

Clearly drug dealers make a profit out of selling to the burbs or else they wouldn't do it. Clearly if they couldn't sell as much to the burbs they would either be forced to have lower profits changing the pricing up or down in their remaining market. If they increase the price less people will use the drug and if they decrease the price they will make less money for a given amount of substance.

So basically what happens in the suburbs and the ghetto is connected and if the white middle/upperclass white drug dealers and users were targeted as much as the working class racial minorities there would be just as much if not more of an impact in the "war on drugs" - I'm not saying that should happen - I support the legalisation but I'm agreeing with those before that have commented on the racism prevalent especially in the US legal system.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 26 Aug 2004 09:04

My bad, I was commenting on the fact that the 2 markets work differently. I wasn't commenting on any racial issues. In fact I would state that there are more white addicts than black addicts simply based on population.

Maybe ghetto is too strong a term that has been stereotyped to mean black America. Let me rephrase that statement and substitute the word Trailer Park. Can't get any more racial than Poor White Trash and I'm white so I feel I can say that without any backlash being from a White Trash pot smoking family myself.

If we leave race out of it, there would still be drug related shootings taking place in any low income areas where addictions are present. Depression is what sets up an individual for addiction. The feeling of hopelessness and helplessness associated with living paycheck to paycheck, or chemical imbalances that keep them from holding steady high paying income.

Money, the lack of money, depression, chemical imbalances, and greed are all determining factors in drug addicition. I believe personally that violence associated with drugs occurs where the dependency is greatest and the income level is the lowest. If that means lower income people of all race then that is where you will see it.

When you have more access to money, security and more helpful circumstances, then you will see less violence occur.

I still agree with 420 that the 2 markets are not related. I never go to the ghetto to get dope. Why would I? I'd rather be stoned sober than risk death by a bad deal. Desperation sparks violence in those areas. There is no desperation in the burbs. You think a bank robber or convience store thief runs home to his mansion off the beach, or his tight knit community country club? Of course not. Theivery is sparked by desperation, if you are poor and need the dough then you rob (not necessarily, but makes for a good argument obviously) to get what you need, be it drugs or what not.

Here is a story about white middle class violence. In college I knew a guy who moved pounds out of his closet. His friends were also his smaller dealers. One day one of his men decided to rip him off on a whim. No shots were fired, he simply took the stash and a pile of money while everyone was passed out from the night before (this is college remember).

Instead of killing the guy over a grand and some dope. He simply instilled fear in the guy from every dealer who missed his sell that week. They ganged together to confront the guy. A mass of suped up SUVs and muscle cars can be intimidating in and of itself. The guy literally shit his pants, left the stash and the cash in his mailbox along with a note apologizing for losing his head. That was the end of it. Had the guy not turned over the property, the worst he would have gotten is banned from the group and a possible severe ass whooping.

Killing someone only brings more heat from the cops. You can't successfully run an operation while flashing around town. The guys with the most dough in the burbs look like you and me, they don't want the heat. So you won't see the violence you see on the street, where people don't have cash like that, so when they get it, they spend the hell out of it like there is no tomorrow. I know this because I've watched my sister's boyfriend (black - but that is not pertenant to this issue) pawn all her possesions to buy crack. Not once or twice, but three times. When my sister finally kicked the guy out, she was left to rebuild again, my father gave her a grand and she spent it in a day on stupid shit. She has never had money and lives in the Trailer Parks of the USA.

She doesn't know any other way nor see opportunities arise in her favor, so when a jackpot lands in her lap she eats it up like freshly buttered popcorn before it goes stale.

The legal system is whole other matter. The war on drugs is a joke. You cannot possible win that war. The money is tax free. Ignorant people get caught in this country for criminal activity because of stupid mistakes. Smarter people make less mistakes. Noone is targeting the poor addicts. They come to the dealers. Like I said earlier, desperate people do stupid things and then get caught for it, black or white. Blacks get a bad wrap from racial motivated carry overs from the civil war. And there are a lot of them still left. They exist as lawyers, judges, corporate owners, etc... But like I said that is a different matter all together and should not be related to drugs alone. There are a lot of underlying factors that make the statistic what it is. I am simply showing the differences in the 2 markets, not trying to debate the inaccuracies of our legal system

So I agree with you about minorities being unfairly treated in the legal system, but disagree about the 2 markets being somehow related.

To compare once again, look at Mercedes owners verses Dodge Neon owners. Big differences in lifestyle. Same can be said about drug deals in the 2 locations. Although both a Mercedes and a Neon are cars, they do not appeal to the same market of shoppers nor do the sales of one affect the other. There is too large a price gap to make a comparison.

If I'm still missing something, please cite examples for me.

Thanks,
~Damon Mathews

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 26 Aug 2004 09:41

Teh ghetto has the bomb ass shit though. Stickier than pine tar.

Of course the hood is a desperate place, and the deal is dealt by nicks and dimes. Mainly because no one want to get mugged for more than 10-20 bucks, not a lack of cash to get the oz. Remember kiddies, asking for a 4th in the hood is the same as saying "I have a hundred dollars in my pocket, care to rob me today ? " Don't even think about an O or an elbow.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 26 Aug 2004 10:58

Right-O Cam-Ron!
~Damon Mathews

420FootBager
Multidex Master

Post by 420FootBager » 26 Aug 2004 11:06

How is it racist when the majority of crime is in the ghetto that is just smart would you rather the police go after a white kid with a ½oz or a black guy that is willing to shoot someone if he losses 20$... It's not racist it's smart, if more crime qwas commited in the white population then the white people would be persicuted more for the drugs.....

or prehaps I still don't understand your point....

Another with spots

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 26 Aug 2004 11:30

Not so much smart, but realistic. We want violent criminals off the streets black or white.

You see how hard it is to defeat someone with money in court. The police do not have the resources to setup stings in the burbs. Instead they ride around in their cars or set up cheaper sting operations. Which costs less? A pair of jeans and a T-shirt, or an Armani suit? The police simply cannot afford to bust white collar citizens for blue collars crimes. Should they? Probably, but it is not cost effect to do so.
~Damon Mathews

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 26 Aug 2004 12:24

the "hood" i call the city, in the citys they sell every thing in dimes an nicks for a few resions one is MAKE THE MOST MONEY some times im in the city im trying to get a quarter and i ask for it an they say ya ya we have it, i go there and the guy takes us to a street conner where a girl will be standing or something, then she gives us a dime an says thats all she has other then the dime she has to smoke ;) .. so i buy both them and go home smoke a blunt, then we are hungry again and call out and go to the same chick and get another 2 dimes, and she will say the same story. They will buy a pound an cut it up in to nicks an dimes an sell it that way, thats a big profit, i can get a pound for 800$, if i cut it all up and bag it in dimes i could make duble my money EASY if not more... but then there is the resion of ppl robing... i only had some one tell me to break my self once ( street talk for perpar to be robed ) but a friend with me who was a coke dealer pulled a gun out an the jamacian guy ran with out thinking. Where i live there is 3 black ppl in my hole school. there are 1000 students in my school. in the city 30 mins away "reading" there are blacks every where an portaricans an jamacians they are every where, there are streets that you can go on and see crack dealers at the conner, and if a cop sees you on these streets and sees you are white, you can get PULLED OVER FOR BEING WHITE!!! this has happened to me befor!!!
he pulled me over, said i kno why your hear so get out. witch we did.

420FootBager
Multidex Master

Post by 420FootBager » 27 Aug 2004 08:12

zachatree wrote:there are streets that you can go on and see crack dealers at the conner, and if a cop sees you on these streets and sees you are white, you can get PULLED OVER FOR BEING WHITE!!!
^
That is absolutly true... damn racists (sarcasm)

Another with spots