Bob: Terrorist threat?

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Bob: Terrorist threat?

Post by Jeremy » 02 Aug 2004 00:12

I'm not sure how much coverage this got out of Australia - I presume it made the news in the US as well.

Recently a United Airlines plane left Sydney for a US destination (I'm not sure which and too lazy to find out). However early in the flight the plane turned back because of a "bomb threat"

A few days later it was revealed that the "bomb threat" was infact the word "bob" written on a sickbag.

The pilot feared that this could stand for "Bomb on Board" and after consulting his boss' in the US, decided to turn the plane around. I'm sure it must have been a big shock when no bomb was found on the plane...

There are a number of different theories as to what "bob" could have stood for - including the slim possibility that it was actually somebodies name...

Personally I think that this was an irrational and paranoid action and completely unnecessary. While people have put forward the arguement that it is "better safe than sorry" - I believe that some degree of common sense is necessary. I'm sure it is possible to turn every name into an acronym for a terrorist threat. However due to incredible unlikelyhood that a terrorist would feel the need to write a cryptic warning - rather than an obvious warning or no warning - I think it's a worthwhile risk to assume people may write names or harmless acronyms on paper...

I'm interested to know if other people agree or not...

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 02 Aug 2004 04:04

Just
Every
Retarded
Excuse
(for)
Maiming
Youngins

;)

Yeah I think that was kinda ridiculous. I haven't heard about that, but then again, I slept almost 24 hours yesterday.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

kaos
Fearless

Post by kaos » 02 Aug 2004 04:36

Yeah, I read about that sometime last week. I thought it was kinda weird, because they didn't say what was written in the note, kinda makes sense now.

I think its a bit ridiculous, if I was a passenger on that flight, I would seriously consider sueing the airline for wasting my time. I agree with you that they were being paranoid, why on earth would a terrorist write a cryptic note? It would either be a explicit warning, or no warning at all...

Kobus - Kobus Blows Up Shit.

( :oops: the best I can do, and its recursive...)
Kobus Brümmer

"On résiste à l'invasion des armées; on ne résiste pas à l'invasion des idées" - Victor Hugo

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 02 Aug 2004 06:05

Also, I would be bold enough to make the assumption that terrorists sometimes misspell things. Perhaps Bob *meant* "bomb." Or perhaps the pilot was dyslexic. :roll:
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 02 Aug 2004 08:24

Radiate Your America Now!
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 03 Aug 2004 15:47

Detonate
Another
Mine
On em'
Nasty critters
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 04 Aug 2004 13:28

Homeland Security should create a new "bob squad", to deal with this new and innovative threat.

-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 06 Aug 2004 12:57

"Suicide bobber"

-n

-nathan

shredj
Rain Man

Post by shredj » 06 Aug 2004 13:48

hey nate do you actually play footbag?
Jim Jansen

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 06 Aug 2004 15:33

Yeah, I just get sucked into the disc. forum during the downtime, which is several months now.

Getting locals to play is like pulling teeth.

Practicing footbag alone is zero fun for me.

In the meantime, I provide input in the Discussion section. I debate these important topics with the goal of protecting footbag and footbaggers.

Political topics may not seem to matter to these ends, but i'll give a few examples later.

-n

-nathan

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 06 Aug 2004 15:33

A ir
A laska
R eadily
O rganized to
N uke
bodybuilda

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 06 Aug 2004 15:45

Maraxus,

That avatar is hilarious.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 07 Aug 2004 02:06

Jumping
On
Horny
Nuns.
John D

lightningbolt
Nothing Vulgar

Post by lightningbolt » 08 Aug 2004 14:58

M ental

J umping

P eas

My name was too long :(
I think I going to take over Canada. You should help.
Get Firefox!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Aug 2004 20:30

yeah, um some how I think some of the threats people have come up with wouldn't get the plane turned around.

As this topic is in the Discussion forum, I was actually hoping for a little discussion on the topic - although obviously I am asking a lot and I shouldn't set my sights so high :?

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 08 Aug 2004 20:51

I remember there was an incident some time ago where one of the crew, a pilot I think, was named Jack.

So over the radio, somebody said "Hi Jack".

Somebody else heard this and thought they said "Hijack".

So they diverted the plane or something.

Do you want to discuss airborne hijack threats, or talk about ways that passengers can be the "hero" on the plane, since all we hear about is how passengers should just sit there and do nothing, like fucking sheep.

With recent "dry runs" being conducted by arab looking dudes , to see how much bullshit they can actually get away with before an Air marshal exposes himself, this should be a hot topic.

-n

-nathan

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 08 Aug 2004 22:21

are you serious about the dry runs thing? do they keep a note pad? "okay, pissed on the dinner cart. that got some attention, but no marshal... maybe there isn't one on this plane..."
A.G.

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 09 Aug 2004 13:37

Here's the link to one passengers story a on Women Wallstreet about a Detriot to LA flight:

http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/art ... icleid=711

The type of behavior that occured is very suspicious. Later it was learned that one of the musicians had written suicide bombing songs in the past.

Jacobsons article has been hushed up, with airline and security officials are implying that Jacobson is just a "paranoid racist"(my words)

Other airline employees quitely report similar incidents on other flights.

Apparently, the fact that these "dry-runs" are occuring often might scare passengers and cause a drop in fliers.

Protecting their job, and maintaining "ridership" looks more important than security.

Presently, it is ILLEGAL (FAA regulations) for airlines to detain for extra security more 2 people of the same minority on the same flight
. So if you see 12 arab guys on a plane, you can probably bet that 2 or less were given a second look.

Fly the friendly skies.

-n

-nathan

lightningbolt
Nothing Vulgar

Post by lightningbolt » 09 Aug 2004 13:57

Arg! I had this huge comment typed up and my computer decied that was a good time to freeze! I hate Dells!
Jeremy wrote:- although obviously I am asking a lot and I shouldn't set my sights so high :?
Just a tad to high. :lol:

Alaska kind of had a "Highjack" scare on 9-11. There was a Air-Japan
(could have been China, I don't rember) plane that set there transponder to "711" which means highjack. As you can guess, people at Air Traffic Control freaked out. They pliot didn't answer the ATC request to turn around. They were head to Anchorage, were 70% of the population lives. So, the Air force sent 7 fully armed F-16 to the plane. When, 7 F-16 planes pull up next to your plane you get the idea. It finally got the idea to turn around. I think it landed in Whitehorse, Canda. Actually, the planes had orders to shoot the plane down, but for some reason, It got lost in translation.
I think I going to take over Canada. You should help.
Get Firefox!