shoe laces

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.

what do you do with extra long laces?

cut em
50%
tie them around your heel
4%
leave em flop in the wind (terribly crazy)
4%
buy smaller laces
25%
other
17%

Total votes: 24

gMoney
Think Pink

shoe laces

Post by gMoney » 15 Mar 2007 19:45

you know, i've always wondered about this. what do you people do with shoelaces that are too long? i used to double knot them and shove them into my shoe, except it was uncomfortable. i now double knot them in front and tie them once around my heel since they're long enough. i don't think i'd ever really consider cutting them, because it's a pain in the ass having to shove a shoelace through the hole without one of those plastic thingys. what about everyone else?
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 15 Mar 2007 19:49

Double knot but make the loopy parts really long and push those into my shoes.
Danny P.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 15 Mar 2007 20:02

I bought laces that were way too small, and just laced my lavers and they stay laced now. They're like slippers. :)
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Wumbo
BSOS Beast

Post by Wumbo » 16 Mar 2007 02:07

i cut them than burn the ends with a lighter. works well, if they have some syntetic material in them. both units and rl have this. dont do it on 100% cotton.

pyro
Circle Kicker

Post by pyro » 16 Mar 2007 04:27

I have lavers and i just cut them and burn it and just tie one knot and dont put anything in the shoe.

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 16 Mar 2007 04:30

I always double knot then either tuck them into my shoe, or under the laces. I can't stand hacking with my shoelaces flopping around, irratates the hell out of me, so I put up with a little bit of discomfort by tucking them in.

The best thing I've found to beat this, get flat laces, and when you tie them off, only keep a little bit with the tidbits of plastic on the ends. Enough so they don't bounce around and get in the way, then cross the right side slack into the left side of the shoe, and reciprocate and voila. :D
As the universe is curved, there cannot be a straight answer...

-Robert Baker-

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 16 Mar 2007 04:54

I've buyed really rigid laces which aren't too long either, after the double knot there's not enough space for them to go in every direction so they just stand straight.

Bagira
Shredaholic

Post by Bagira » 16 Mar 2007 07:14

Double Ian knot, so that the laces become untied at most once every two months.

I wear all of my shoes like slippers, even though an Ian knot would take 1.5 seconds at most by now...
Mikhail Bukhonko

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 16 Mar 2007 07:39

i always cut em, knot the ends, then put a small gob of shoe goo on the end to make sure it never frays.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 16 Mar 2007 08:13

I tie them up, cut where would be good, then just burn the end till it melts and mush it around in my fingers to a point that can go through the holes. But lick your fingers first so you don't burn your fingers.

With my navy ones, I just bought new laces b/c I wanted white laces.
Eskimo Joe

kyle
Shredaholic

Post by kyle » 16 Mar 2007 09:11

No you guys are all wrong! :lol: You just keep puttin' the laces back through the eyelets until all the extra stuff's gone. :wink:
Last edited by kyle on 16 Mar 2007 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Alejandro
Shredalicious

Post by Alejandro » 16 Mar 2007 12:09

CUT EM. I LIKE SHORT LACES.

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 16 Mar 2007 15:27

cloaked wrote:No you guys are all wrong! :lol: You just keep puttin' the laces back through the eyelets until all the extra stuff's gone. :wink:

That's really hard to do with lavers.....The eyeholes have a metal binding around them so..2----maybe three passes is it. :?

-Robert Baker-

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 16 Mar 2007 18:39

I single knot it first, like any normal shoe, then I put both loops through opposite sides of that little Tag at the top of the tongue and single knot it again. Then I bring it back down through the side laces that pull the Toe Box out and finally double knot it there. It doesn't take half as long as it used to when I first started doing that. 8 P
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

kyle
Shredaholic

Post by kyle » 17 Mar 2007 11:07

sanuke okumatzu wrote:
cloaked wrote:No you guys are all wrong! :lol: You just keep puttin' the laces back through the eyelets until all the extra stuff's gone. :wink:
That's really hard to do with lavers.....The eyeholes have a metal binding around them so..2----maybe three passes is it. :?
You don't just wrap the laces around the top eyelet. You double lace half the shoe.

So lace em up crazy like you usually do (top view)-
_ ._.
_/._.\
-l(.X.)l
_\.X./
_ .X.
_ .X.
~.X.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take the extra laces and go strait back down inside the shoe and pull the laces out through the third eyelet from the top (inside view)-
_ ._ .
_ ._ .
_ ._ .
_ ._ .
~._ .~~~~~~~~~~~~
_ .l l.
_ .l l.

Then double lace back to the top like normal (top view, 2nd layer)-
_ ._.
_ ._.
_ ._.
_ ._.
_ ._.
_ .X.
~.X.~~~~~~~

Presto! A kick ass lace job that wont loosen up or make knee-poping sounds when your quadruple knot slaps your other shoe. :lol: (thats you fetus. :wink:)

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 18 Mar 2007 18:05

I just lace my shoes in a secure fashion that utilizes all of the eyelets, and then lace. I never had problems with shoe lace length for G-units, but the standard Rod Laver ones were pretty poor. Not only were they long, but slippery as well.

Just buy shorter laces.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 19 Mar 2007 03:43

Well...I always lace mine up Kenny Shults style, then tuck the laces in, they never really get in the way, usually, they end up going down the tongue of the shoe so it works out wonderfully.

-Robert Baker-

ShredEX
Shredaholic

Post by ShredEX » 21 Mar 2007 17:16

I lace my lavers Shults style and then tuck the rest in, havent had any problems I like them being in there adds a little more cushion for the ankle, I never considered wrapping them around my ankle sounds like a good way for extra support though :)
Toby Smith

First Comes Form Then Content
Each One Teach One
To Each Their Own