Modifying the New Rod Laver

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Modifying the New Rod Laver

Post by Reid » 23 Jun 2011 09:50

I just purchased a new pair of Rod Lavers and it seems Adidas changed the design of them very subtly. The canvas is no longer lining the entire interior of the shoe, but instead there is now two layers of mesh (the normal exterior one and a finer interior one) on the inside and outside walls. The toe area now has three layers (a much thinner interior canvas, the finer mesh and then the outer layer of mesh).

When I modified the shoes I left the inside mesh layer on the inside and outside surface, because it is so thin. I removed the interior canvas layer on the toe, which separated very easily. The only issue was that the glue between the canvas and the interior mesh was much gooier than I remember on the older version of the shoe. Because I only removed the toe canvas the modifications went much quicker, which is always a plus.

Anyways, I was wondering if other people have encountered this new difference in the shoes and if so how they are choosing to modify them.
Last edited by Reid on 23 Jun 2011 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

landon palmer
Shredalicious

Post by landon palmer » 23 Jun 2011 10:03

"new" as in the two new colors? or all the lavers?

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 23 Jun 2011 10:07

So I purchased two pairs actually; the Green and Black ones, and the burgundy and white ones, which both have the different interior. I also asked a fellow footbagger who has the silver and red ones, and they had the same interiors as mine.

I purchased mine from Zappos.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

RipWalker
BSOS Beast

Post by RipWalker » 23 Jun 2011 11:26

Did you soak or heat the shoes prior to attempting to get in between the layers on the toes/sides?
Mark Bull

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 23 Jun 2011 12:53

No, I did not soak or heat the shoes prior to attempting to get in between the layers on the toes. I left the thin inner layer on the insides and outsides.

Reid Strellner

jtm94
Hack Fiend

Post by jtm94 » 29 Jun 2011 11:42

I have the silver(grey)/red pair from zappos.
I too found that they had subtle differences but I didn't study them as much as Reid has.
I was just planning out how I was gonna go about modding them and noticed differences.

Zjeezy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Zjeezy » 29 Jun 2011 20:46

I posted about this months ago when the new colors first got posted.
zach jahner

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 17 Jul 2011 15:41

I got white/cardinal red ones that were different too. There was no canvas layer but a thin mesh layer that was super easier to pull out. However there was cotton stuck between the two layers that was impossible to completely get out, but i just used a new exacto blade and carefully scraped it off. It did a good enough job.
Cory Allen
My Footblog

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 18 Jul 2011 18:56

Oh, by the way, they have new colors for sale at finishline

Reid Strellner

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 29 Aug 2011 07:46

i recently bought the iron / scarlet / white shoes.

i wanted to maintain the "iron" colour, so i maintained the outer mesh as playing surfaces.

there was no canvas layer on these shoes.

for the inside / outside, i cut away the inner mesh, then carefully scraped the cotton / glue layer with a boxcutter ( very carefully ). this layer doesn't peel very well, i needed to take my time to not puncture the outer mesh.

modding the toe box from the inside was a nightmare, but worth it. it was impossible to see where i was cutting, so i would feel with my fingers where i wanted to cut, & then shifted the boxcutter to where my fingers were & made tiny incisions & slowly etched away that cotton / glue layer. mind your fingers! and be careful not to push through the toe mesh.

i also shaved away part of the insole on the "inside" side that obstructs clipper crank.

the first shoe took me about 3 hours. the second shoe went more quickly.
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

RipWalker
BSOS Beast

Post by RipWalker » 29 Aug 2011 07:53

Interested to see some pics, abstract (unless you posted them already and I totally missed them)!
Mark Bull

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 29 Aug 2011 07:55

RipWalker wrote:Interested to see some pics, abstract (unless you posted them already and I totally missed them)!
i'll edit this post tonight with some pics when i get home. )

edit:

inside mod:

toe mod ( could only get partial visibility ):

shoes:

greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 14 Nov 2011 21:05

Ok so maybe I should of asked here first before ordering. I asked the company I ordered the lavers from and they said they were exactly the same as the whites I had been using for years. So the black/green are on the way and I have a few questions for those of you with the new colors if you wouldnt mind helpin me out.

Do they feel that much different? I've never modded the inside of my lavers only the toe, so basically what im wondering is, is my footbagging going to be affected negatively by the choice of these newer colored lavers, or do you think they are about as playable as the whites lavers with only toe modding? Starting to wonder if i made the wrong choice, thanks for anyone who takes the time to answer.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

Air
Aleksi Airinen

Post by Air » 14 Nov 2011 23:35

I purchased a pair of these, modded them and had a small session in them. I think they play out just like the old Lavers, if not a bit better.

@smokefree: I think you should definitely mod both the inside and the toe because it makes it easier to feel the bag when stalling. I also recommend walking with the shoes a bit first to brake them in. After that I recommend washing them in the washing maschine and then modding them. Washing the shoes makes the fabric much softer and easier to mod.

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 15 Nov 2011 01:05

Thanks Air :) I don't feel too bad about ordering these then. I was worried maybe they would not be as good. Anyway I am reluctant to mod the inside because im scared of ruining the shoe as i've never done it before. I don't live next to anyone to help me, i have that fear maybe ill ruin a 50 dollar pair of shoes. Thanks for the advice and ill give it a try
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

xsisbest
Shredaholic

Post by xsisbest » 16 Nov 2011 22:31

I have both pairs .. The green fairway and black as well as the cardinal red and grey. I only modded the red/grey pair and i prefer taking the outside mesh off as I feel it's so slick the bag tends to slide off my foot more. Keeping the inside layer though proved to be a bitch. I actually scored it in a couple spots and had to use some super glue to patch it. It's barely noticeable though. The material is way different and thinner than the normal lavers. The black/green is identical as well but I've chosen to use these as everyday shoes as I like them a lot. I still prefer the older style canvas that was on the insides but I've found that just as always, the more you play with them the more used to them you get. I used to play in sandles and never thought I'd ever use a closed toe shoe.. Now I dont' know how I ever played in sandles lol. The sole is slightly taller than the all black lavers and the originals and I feel that was harder to get used to more than anything. My around the worlds seemed slower due to the beefier sole.. But I don't really notice anymore now.It could also be due to the fact that my all black lavers are worn to the nub and I've had to use shoe goo to patch. I wish they'd make more size 11 all black lavers though.. Kickin myself for not investing in 2 pairs..
A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards it's achievement