What materials to get for stitching a bag?

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Fuzzy
Circle Kicker

What materials to get for stitching a bag?

Post by Fuzzy » 21 Jul 2014 22:57

Hello,
Im very new to footbagging but have really gotten into it. And so i have really been wanting to stitch my own bag. I already know how to from tutorials but i dont know where to actually get the materials to make a footbag. Is hemp anygood as a material? Im also thinking of using non wax dental floss as my thread since its very durable and it holds knots. Anyways any advice would be most helpfull :D

Allan

Re: What materials to get for stitching a bag?

Post by Allan » 22 Jul 2014 08:18

Hey. I moved this into the equipment forum as you're more likely to get a proper response here and, you know, organizational stuff ...

I'm not a stitcher, and I know someone will be able to point you in the right direction to buy stuff, but the material you're looking for (most commonly) is called "facile" or perhaps "ultra suede."

There are some great stitchers in the community: brianbear and (though I've not had the pleasure of shredding one of his bags) isirc10 matt_bailey has some fabric for sale in the For Sale forum ...

Good luck!!

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 22 Jul 2014 11:28

Fuzzy wrote:Hello,
Im very new to footbagging but have really gotten into it. And so i have really been wanting to stitch my own bag. I already know how to from tutorials but i dont know where to actually get the materials to make a footbag. Is hemp anygood as a material? Im also thinking of using non wax dental floss as my thread since its very durable and it holds knots. Anyways any advice would be most helpfull :D
Hi Fuzzy!

As Allan said, most stitchers use Facile (Ultrasuede). In the States, we get it from here:
http://www.fieldsfabricsonline.com/Ultr ... _c_14.html

You can also get sampler packs there. Stick with Ultrasuede Light for best results.
I usually order .125 yards of each color and I can stitch quite a few bags from that. I used to use a heavy duty polyester coat and upholstery thread to make my bags, but have recently switched to braided fishing line due to durability concerns. Many stitchers in the past have used floss successfully.

When I started, I also made bags out of microsuede, which is like ultrasuede but has a woven backing. To be honest, most materials that do not fray when you pull at their edges will do well for your first few bags. Microsuede can be had at Jo Ann's Fabric stores, not sure if they have those around you. It is significantly cheaper than Ultrasuede. Hope that helped a bit.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Fuzzy
Circle Kicker

Post by Fuzzy » 22 Jul 2014 11:56

Thx so much for the input guys. Im going to save up some money and go get some material from the websites you guys mentioned!