New players and footbag shoes

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

New players and footbag shoes

Post by Cass » 06 Aug 2014 16:13

I wanted to open up a discussion about this because I think it's important that that community is on the same page.

We all know the new version of the Rod Laver is not an ideal shoe but it is what is available right now. I think we need to start encouraging new/potential players to buy them.

By telling new players that these shoes suck we are basically deterring them from getting the only commercially available shoes that are remotely useful for footbag. Old versions of Lavers are increasingly difficult to locate. If we tell a potential player to hold out for these rare shoes they might never get shoes that are good for hack. Is this really what we want? Additionally, if they do find them it will take away from the supply for experienced players that would benefit more from a lighter shoe.

I know there are freestylers out there rocking the new Lavers. They are definitely heavier but will probably also last longer. Once the sole wears down they must get lighter anyway. Short of discovering a new shoe that can be used for footbag, this is becoming the only option.

Here's hoping Adidas pulls it together and fixes the Laver. Until then we need new players to have them. It's the best option. They wont know what they're missing anyway.

shred4life
Hack Fiend

Re: New players and footbag shoes

Post by shred4life » 06 Aug 2014 17:01

Great post Cass. I couldn't agree more. I've been encouraging some of the newer players in my home town to get the new ones myself.
-Vince R

Max Power
Fearless

Post by Max Power » 08 Aug 2014 15:00

I agree but I think their are tons of shoes that are being made that are great for footbag but no one uses or tries them cause either we are afraid they won't work as well or they will stop being available in the very near future. Almost every time I walk through a shoe store I see a shoe I would love to try but don't have a ton of hope in and wouldn't want to waste my money on. I haven't played in the new laver but if it's as bad as it seems I would look for something else.

Example:

http://www.dickies.com/footwear/mens-fo ... SR4215.jsp

I would totally try these. Do the same mods you might do to a unit and boom new shred shoe. This was found with out even digging a little, imagine what else could be out there. I know new players are always asking if this or that shoe might be good and they are usually wrong but I'm not new and I think we have more then one sub par option, we just have to look or make one.
Drew Martin

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 08 Aug 2014 15:27

These are valid points but I don't know offhand of any shoes available that are definitely better than the new Laver. To be honest I'm not in the market.

I think it's important to recommend something to new players that is actually available and this is the best thing that I know of. If someone finds something that is actually for sure better then that would be great.

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 14 Dec 2014 17:51

When shredding with the new lavers I have noticed that my shin splints are close to nonexistent. The old lavers began hurting the first day I started using them. If you are prone to shin splints it may be a good option. Though if you have weak ankles like I do, the sole height of the new Lavers can be deadly.

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 18 Dec 2014 13:41

pretty sure thats what i´m telling everyone and their mom ever since this whole thing got blown up. people will get used to heavier shoes anyways!

unless one of the footbag companies gets in on a new shoe (re-release of the quantum? a usable re-work of nucleus?) we should tell people to get whats available.
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig