Starch Spray

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Starch Spray

Post by Jiawei » 08 Sep 2014 07:00

Hello, sorry if this has been posted before. I found that the ultrasuede I have is probably too soft and weak because my bags are always floppy even though I made the hexagons smaller, the overall bag smaller and gathered more. I read online that starch spray can harden the fabric so I bought one and am planning to try spraying it only on my Pentagons. I have already tried spraying a whole bag(Stitch by a professional) on the outside with that starch and followed the instructions but it became floppier and less round even though it feels harder. I am wondering if any of you all have tried this. If you did, should I spray it on the outer or inner side of the pentagons? If not, am I missing something out that can make my bags rounder? Thanks :D

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Starch Spray

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Sep 2014 21:24

Why do you want to stiffen your bags? I've never heard of that before. Players usually want softer, squishier bags, because they stall much nicer.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 09 Sep 2014 23:05

From what I read in the forum and online, I thought that the rounder it is, the better it is for setting. I think I must have gotten it all wrong. I'm confused, so is it normal to freestyle with very floppy bags? And when people use the term "floppy" bags, does it mean like the ones you described? As in soft and squishy?
Last edited by Jiawei on 09 Sep 2014 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 09 Sep 2014 23:12

What I perceived is that for the bag to be "round", it has to stay that shape when dropped. So is a "round" bag supposed to stall well but just keep it's shape in the air?

Alf
Fearless

Post by Alf » 10 Sep 2014 12:41

Just keep the shape while being in the air.
But it should be soft when landing on your shoe. :)

I think it's the same question with the thick and thin fabric you posted. Thick pents and thin hexes makes for a bag that is nicely round in the air, but stalls well becuase it "collapses" when hitting a hard surface.
If you're looking for Rod Lavers and footbags, please check out my for sale page:
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23767

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 10 Oct 2014 02:29

i think that you may also want to concider a bag a little more filled, this would make the bag less "floppy" but at the same time a little harder to stall. another thing is that if you order a bag from a stitcher in the community you can ussually specify stuff like this, the good stitchers can adjust the style of the bag to your liking. then i found that smaller bags/minis are more true to form, so they stay round better, but this may have to do with the different size/filling ratio...
another thing, maybe you should ask for a hybrid bag, i f.E. have some ultra suede soft that is thicker than us light, and combined with us light hexes the bags stay in shape pretty good and still stall good.

one more thing, the spray stiffens the fabric, yes, but stiff fabric breaks, thats why you should wash your bags after dirty sessions, dirt makes it stiff -> bag breaks sooner!

just my thoughts, hope i could help
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig